• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

So this hasn't been discussed but maybe it's just me but all I'm seeing when I see Commissioner Gordon is Kevin Costner.
IMG_0276.jpg

la-et-mn-kevin-costner-mpaa-black-and-white-20140627

Probably just me...

Yeah, I'm going to report an issue as well. I had lost sound at the start of the Ace Chemicals mission and I was like "Huh, guess I'll restart". Application wouldn't close, PSN told me "please wait". Screen went pitch black, system wasn't responding, disc wouldn't eject, power button did nothing...

I was so afraid I was going to kill my PS4 by using my killswitch but it just hard reset, I lost no progress and all my data was fine. Just a fair warning if anyone has this happen to them.
Lol, had the same feeling when it happened, I was thinking if this damn game kills my PS4...

I knew when the please wait prompt went on for more than 2-3 minutes after trying to close the game that something was up. Thankfully haven't had any issues yet after the reset and no save data was lost as you mentioned.

MilesTeg

Banned
Game runs great on PS4. Batmobile is pretty cool at times, can see how fighting tanks will become monotonous though. Graphics are pretty damn good. Shame detective mode is used so much as that really makes the graphics look worse obviously. I'm enjoying the game so far. It's very solid.

Sojgat

Mostly loving it so far, but one thing I really dislike is how Batman backs towards the camera instead of turning.

After three games, why the fuck would you change that now?

Reule

Might've been discussed already but it looks you can't really play as the other characters in what was the traditional challenge maps. Everything is tied in-world as AR Simulations but only with Batman. That's pretty...shitty.

I just beat the game, including the required amount of side activities for the "post-ending" scene and just... wow.

From beginning to end, amazing. This has to be my favorite Batman story ever told, especially when you consider the journey from Origins to now.

Such a perfect send off.

"Alfred... Activate the Knightfall Protocol."

I just beat the game, including the required amount of side activities for the "post-ending" scene and just... wow.

From beginning to end, amazing. This has to be my favorite Batman story ever told, especially when you consider the journey from Origins to now.

Such a perfect send off.

What is the required amount? I'll probably hit it anyway because I plan on doing most of it, but I'm just curious.

I played so much of this game today, you guys. So. Much.

It's incredible, probably the best game I've played this year. They've built on the Arkham systems in such an incredible way, the combat is so tight, the story is really interesting so far and has done some really cool things with the Batman fiction, and the open world feels incredibly seamless. Going from main quests to side quests and back feels connected in a way I've never really felt with games. They're definitely nailing the one night vibe, and it's awesome.

I don't mind the Batmobile so far, the combat is pretty simple but fun, but the platforming bits suck. It's super disappointing that they've relegated Riddler to dumb races.

They're also doing really interesting things with secondary playable characters. Jonathan Banks-Gordon!

DrBo42

Such a perfect send off.

Parts of the story I love love love but there are so many mishandled moments and missed opportunities in this one that I can't call it a great story by any means.

Durden77

The Batmobile is a fucking great addition and is implemented so well for the most part, but there's just too many times when they force you to use it. If it was more of just a tool to get Batman around with like 1/8th or so of the game actually being Batmobile type puzzles, it would've been perfect.

But even though it can be annoyinf sometimes, I'm so glad it's there. It fucking rocks, and is a really important part of Batman.

aparisi2274

Am I the only one who picked up a Superman ('78) movie reference in the beginning of the game??

It was in GCPD when they are figuring out where to deploy to, and one of the cops mentions "Otisburg", which as we know is the name of the city that Ned Betty's character Otis wanted to give himself in Superman: The movie

DrBo42

The Batmobile is a fucking great addition and is implemented so well for the most part, but there's just too many times when they force you to use it. If it was more of just a tool to get Batman around with like 1/8th or so of the game actually being Batmobile type puzzles, it would've been perfect.

But even though it can be annoyinf sometimes, I'm so glad it's there. It fucking rocks, and is a really important part of Batman.

Agreed. Unless you consider its combat as a great implementation. The idea to have Batman fight waves of drone tanks is just so absurdly dumb. But if you're going to commit to that, you better make god damn sure the tank combat is great. It isn't.

Early mission help/ Do I need to have the mission selected to hear the
opera music in the murder case mission?

No.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Was that a visual glitch (I AM playing the PC version,after all...) or did anyone else noticed that (Pretty big Spoiler ahead if you are going in 100% blind)
The Joker's hair turned black after a certain point in the game?
I wonder if that means something.

This game is really interesting.

So, part of the reason I was hesitant to garner any excitement for this when it was announced was because I felt like there was little else to do. I mean, the thought of creating yet a ither metroidvania batman and having it combat heavy on a much grander scale overwhelmed me as City was big enough for me.

Now, thankfully, I am personally pleased with the direction Rocksteady went here. I don't find it to be a corridor brawler when I'm not solving ouzzles and getting lost. I loved Arkham City, but damn it was work.

This feels, to me, like a more adventure oriented game with sprinkles of combat and , of course, puzzles. This game feels more varied than what I had feared it would actually be. So, in that sense, I am really enjoying this game.

Now, I am only 6-7 hrs in (20% total completed) and have been busy navigating Gotham and doing my own thing.

A few things:

-i havent touched batmobile in two hours. The two hours i played before then had me solving the riddler puzzles which, I thought, were fun and varied.

-gotham is not a big place. Maybe more layers of the land will present itself (interior locations for example) but for an open world game, this is a tiny game when looking from the outside in. Mind you, I just came from Witcher 3 so that doesn't help but this is a small scale game.

- the additions to combat, particularly when you catch up with a character while following the riddler arc, is so good. People wanted faster combat. They got it. More interesting? They got it. Wont spoil that mechanic but i think you know what i mean if you've played 2-3 riddler challenges.

-i really sense the tension and feel the stakes against me. It really drives what has made this series so great. Not only do you feel outnumbered but, in turn, you feel like a bad ass.

-creepy ass game. Enough said.

-not a nice game for newcomers. Game just drops you into the fold. Someone getting acquainted to combat system will have no idea how the mechanics work.

Overall, I really love this game. I love that I am not replaying the first two games which is what I was dreading and why I had zero interest in playing this.

DrBo42

Was that a visual glitch (I AM playing the PC version,after all...) or did anyone else noticed that (Pretty big Spoiler ahead if you are going in 100% blind)
The Joker's hair turned black after a certain point in the game?
I wonder if that means something.

I don't recall that happening on PS4. Could be that I didn't notice but I doubt it.

Should I do Harley DLC before or after main story?

May as well do it now. It's like 20 minutes long and it happens before the main game, chronologically speaking. It relies upon you knowing things like how to take down a shielded thug, though. (Aerial attack.) It's also not as good as the main game, and doesn't really add much in the way of context to it. It's mostly just there, I think, to give something to slap on the posters and trailers as a preorder bonus, and to give you the brief opportunity to play as Harley.

Durden77

Agreed. Unless you consider its combat as a great implementation. The idea to have Batman fight waves of drone tanks is just so absurdly dumb. But if you're going to commit to that, you better make god damn sure the tank combat is great. It isn't.

I have a bit of dumb fun with the combat, but yeah, it's not great. It's actually well thought out for what it is with the missile trails and red missile highlights and such, but what it is just isn't that exciting period. And it bums me out that I feel like I've did 3 times the Batmobile stuff than I have the stealth stuff.

DrBo42

I have a bit of dumb fun with the combat, but yeah, it's not great. It's actually well thought out for what it is with the missile trails and red missile highlights and such, but what it is just isn't that exciting period. And it bums me out that I feel like I've did 3 times the Batmobile stuff than I have the stealth stuff.

Yeah I think the trajectory stuff is super neat but you gotta have something else to it. That's my main problem with Arkham Knight, tons of ideas and potential that just aren't realized.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just played about 3 hours of the story (for a total of about 7 hours) and WOW this game is great. Mind blown. %11 story completion only!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I can't do that full glide for that riddler challenge! AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

i'm actually really enjoying the game so far on ps4

it looks spectacular and i'm finding the batmobile to be awesome driving it around (although the forced mission stuff isn't great but i can get past it)

jg4xchamp

I'm disappointed by the game so far.

I don't like that the Batman is an accessory to the Batmobile. I wanted Batman Arkham Knight, not Batmobile Arkham Knight.

N° 2048

May as well do it now. It's like 20 minutes long and it happens before the main game, chronologically speaking. It relies upon you knowing things like how to take down a shielded thug, though. (Aerial attack.) It's also not as good as the main game, and doesn't really add much in the way of context to it. It's mostly just there, I think, to give something to slap on the posters and trailers as a preorder bonus, and to give you the brief opportunity to play as Harley.

Sweet, thanks!

How does the story completion % work? I played like 3 hours and I'm at 10%, but there's no way this game is 30 hours long for the story alone, I heard it was 10-12.

Is the % just for the overall completion, and not specific to the main missions?

As a first time to the series. I feel really lost with the controls and how everything flows. I'm slowly getting there but it really seems to completely leave you on your own (minus those short tutorials when you get the suit) but even those are barebones. Is there a guide anywhere to getting the combat down?

Omega

Banned
Not too happy with this game at all. Luckily I got it for free with my graphics card. Worst PC port of all time aside, this just isn't a Batman game.

Regarding boss fights
why the fuck aren't there any?
and as someone stated earlier, this is more like Batmobile Arkham Knight. They did improve combat and introduce new enemies but none of that is taken advantage of.

Top Bottom