• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I don't care if they're DLC or not, I just want traditional challenge maps where I can pick my character/duo. That's tens of hours of gameplay right there.

Seriously. Not to mention, a greater abundance of them. Arkham City went overboard with its campaigns, making you play first the challenges, then those same challenges again in various configurations and combinations, but this is a step way too far back in the opposite direction. It's seriously lacking in the combat and predator challenges, and I love them. I guess we're the minority though...

Had a friend of mine who loves the first two games and tolerated the third game (origins). Said that the acting in this Batman is atrocious. I haven't played it yet. FWIW, i thought the first two games were fantastic. Is there a big difference? From the trailers, I wasn't digging the new voice for Gordon, even though I know the guy is a great actor.

When pushed on whether it was the new Gordon who was atrocious or everyone overall, he texted: EVERYBODY.

Quick first impressions on PS4. Played without the patch, as it was taking a while to download (everyone must have been downloading it)

Graphics - In a word Brilliant. The world, the characters, the lighting and rain effects all look amazing.

Sound - Great voice acting (so far), moody music, all very good and add to the atmosphere.

Gameplay - Combat is excellent (as always) and controlling Batman is pretty much like the previous games, so no big changes, it all works fine and using the grapple and gliding around Gotham is awesome.

Batmobile - Driving is fun and easy to get to grips with, it drifts around corners with easy.

Bat Tank - Easy to switch in and out of Tank mode and controls are fine and responsive.

So overall I was very impressed and it all looked fantastic on my 55" 4K Sony Bravia. I did find one glitch, ejecting from the Batmobile to engage in combat, I returned to find it floating a few feet in the air, clearly the unpatched version is a little buggy but framerate was still solid with no major dips or judder.

Overall very impressed. I will start it for real now I have the patch and dlc installed.

Had a friend of mine who loves the first two games and tolerated the third game (origins). Said that the acting in this Batman is atrocious. I haven't played it yet. FWIW, i thought the first two games were fantastic. Is there a big difference? From the trailers, I wasn't digging the new voice for Gordon, even though I know the guy is a great actor.

When pushed on whether it was the new Gordon who was atrocious or everyone overall, he texted: EVERYBODY.

It's always been a little cheeseball, I've not noticed any rise or drop in quality in this chapter. I'm not huge on Arkham Knight, but that's much more about his dialogue and the direction of his character than the quality of the VA.

ZeroX03

Banned
Troy Baker's Arkham Knight was just him playing himself again. Which is funny because his Two Face is pretty great. I know what they were going for with the character but I'm not sure it worked.

Jonathan Banks is out of place. Kevin Conroy is a bit shaky, especially at the start but he really nails it with his interactions with Scarecrow near the end. People know what I mean. John Noble owns Scarecrow, what a great performance. Everyone else is about the same as AC I think.

DrBo42

Gordon is noticeably bad throughout this game. Batman has a few really poorly delivered lines but other than that it's pretty solid. It's the writing that's weakest here, as always. One performance I absolutely loved.

This game has some of the best water of current gen.Actually the whole game is visually stunning, can't believe this is running on UE3.

i6aA5G9.gif

So, no more challenge rooms and using different characters? Damn, that's a waste. Then why even bother putting in Harley, Catwoman, Nightwing and Robin etc.? For one time use only somewhere in the story mode.

Fliesen

oh, btw, ... who would have guessed (super mild spoiler about the location of Scarecrow's toxin production)
that they'd be manufacturing the Toxin at ACE Chemicals of all places.
I was rolling my eyes hard, when i got to "pinpoint" the origin of the
radiation signature

Sojgat

So, no more challenge rooms and using different characters? Damn, that's a waste. Then why even bother putting in Harley, Catwoman, Nightwing and Robin etc.? For one time use only somewhere in the story mode.

11169704_967236763308816_7817246649258996656_o.jpg

Crimefighter Challenge Maps
Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
oh, btw, ... who would have guessed (super mild spoiler about the location of Scarecrow's toxin production)
radiation signature

Yeah, same here. Was common sense.

To be fair, there are some, but only 4 combat and 4 predator rooms, you only play as Batman AFAIK. The other 15 challenges are batmobile related.

It's great but this game is the poster child for asshole DLC plans TBH.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Managed to get a few hours in last night and so far I’d say my impressions are mixed.

A few points:

• The game is stunning looking on the PS4. Only issues I’ve seen so far have been some extremely janky animations when getting into the Batmobile.
  • The voice acting is top-notch thus far. Especially Jonathan Banks and John Noble.
  • I didn’t think I liked the new Batsuit in the promo shots, but it looks great in action.
  • Enjoyed what I’ve played so far. I think.

• Actually getting to play the game was a nightmare. With Arkham Asylum it was buy game, get home, put disc in tray, be the goddamn Batman. With Arkham Knight it was buy game, try and be up-sold on DLC Season Pass, try and be up-sold on disc protection, try and be up-sold on a fucking keyring, finally get home, put disc in tray, begin manual install, download almost 4 gig Day One patch, download 4 pieces of DLC I got for free just in case not having them means I’ll miss a load of stuff, put PS4 into Rest Mode to speed up atrocious download speeds of PSN, wake up PS4 three hours later, decide to fuck off the DLC, finally get to be the goddamn Batman (for two hours).
  • Fuck charging enemies. Who thought, in a game known for its impeccably fluid combat, that adding an attack where stopping everything you’re doing, mashing a shoulder button and hoping for the best was a good idea?
  • I’ve played the other two (for there is only two) games in this series at least five times each, and I still don’t feel like I have a clue what I’m doing control-wise.

TL:DR – Awesome yet frustrating. Hoping it’ll get better. Just chill out on the fucking DLC.

SJRB

Gold Member
radiation signature

Yeah that entire mission was just daft.

"World's greatest detective", lol.

Bit confused, so doing the ' locate the firefighters' mission, are their locations supposed to show on the map, or do you have to progress through story and then they will show?

Bit confused, so doing the ' locate the firefighters' mission, are their locations supposed to show on the map, or do you have to progress through story and then they will show?

From what I can tell beyond the first step of the side missions you just have to figure it out on your own, there are no markers for that or the murder mystery one for me.

8bit

Knows the Score
My first impressions are not very good, the Batmobile controls like a piano on a frozen lake and the controls are counter-intuitive. Hopefully things pick up sharpish but this isn't a good start.

The game is awesome, as batman plays amazing, but the car can beat it.

Driving about isn't great but it's chaos and the batmobile so it's a bit fun, so is landing in it and launching out of it.

However, making me platform in the car is complete garbage. Having me shoot a wall down to then winch a pole behind it down is garbage too.

The forced use of the car is really grating on me, as soon as im forced in to a car platforming section I want to turn the game off, it's BATman not CARman.

From what I can tell beyond the first step of the side missions you just have to figure it out on your own, there are no markers for that or the murder mystery one for me.

Ok, because I was looking for some help on YT, and the guy said they appear after you complete more missions. Having said that, I found the second body in the murder case on my own ( without any markers) so you could be right.

Here's the video ( spoiler warning) maybe I didn't understand him right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMJDdHDw18

RoadHazard

Gold Member
L2 shifts Batmobile into battle mode.

Which feels terrible to me. I expect to be able to back up with L2, and instead I turn into a tank. Also, having to hold that trigger down the entire time you actually want to be a tank is a chore.

Switched to the alternate controls (R1 to toggle battle mode, L2 to brake/reverse, powerslide is still on Square, and in battle mode your little pea shooter is now on L2 instead) as soon as I found out about them, feels so much better.

Ok, because I was looking for some help on YT, and the guy said they appear after you complete more missions. Having said that, I found the second body in the murder case on my own ( without any markers) so you could be right.

Here's the video ( spoiler warning) maybe I didn't understand him right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMJDdHDw18

Nice one cheers! I spent ages googling yesterday evening to find out why I couldn't find any firefighters.

Reassuring to know that if i can't find them on my own it will probably let me track it later.

It was a bit jarring for me because I wanted to do these two things more than the main quest but once you completed the first part it just sort of left the map with no explanation but still let you "add waypoint" but not really from the missions select wheel.

ZeroX03

Banned
To find firefighters or Riddler Informants, just perch somewhere high and use detective mode. There's less range when flying. Just look for condensed groups of people and there's usually something interesting there.

How welcoming is this for new players? Never played any of the Batman games before but thinking of picking this up.

Not that welcoming. It's pretty light on tutorials. Play Asylum and City first if you can, PC versions are great, consoles are serviceable and it's looking like there will be an HD remaster of them next year.

How welcoming is this for new players? Never played any of the Batman games before but thinking of picking this up.

I haven't played since Arkham Asylum so im basically new, it took me an hour or so to get used to the movement and it doesn't throw a tutorial at you for a while so you feel a bit like it assumes you should know what you are doing which can be frustrating.

It doesn't take long to get in to though and if you just ignore the main story and get used to the controls for 15 minutes you will be fine.

Story wise you have probably missed a lot but you can just jump in to this game and take it for what it is, you shouldn't feel too confused by anything ive came across yet.

MrS

Banned
Had a few hours with it last night and I think it's brilliant. The 'Be The Batman' tagline is perfect cause the game does a great job of making you feel like the caped crusader. The set pieces are brilliant too. I am a fan of the Batmobile. The guy who voices Batman does a terrible job in my opinion.

Durden77

I'd say it's probably the least welcoming of the series. I've beaten both of the previous games, but it still took me a solid 5 hours or so before I really felt like I had a grip on this one. Not that it's that much more complex, it just kind of chucks you in there with minimal tutorials.

It's still certainly possible to pick up on though, but it's presentation kind of assumes you have some experience with the series.

Gameplay wise, it doesn't look very welcoming as the combat and predator stuff kind of picks up where City/Origins left. There doesn't seem to be much of a learning curve for these.

Fliesen

The game is awesome, as batman plays amazing, but the car can beat it.

Driving about isn't great but it's chaos and the batmobile so it's a bit fun, so is landing in it and launching out of it.

However, making me platform in the car is complete garbage. Having me shoot a wall down to then winch a pole behind it down is garbage too.

The forced use of the car is really grating on me, as soon as im forced in to a car platforming section I want to turn the game off, it's BATman not CARman.

indeed.

the fact that i need to call the car for every 2nd riddler trophy or destructable object (gone are the times where i'd just quickfire a batterang at some balloons) is really annoying.

especially those puzzles that require you to use the remote.

"walk into tunnel, use batmobile remote (DPAD down), shoot batmobile hook (hold L2, press R1), pull some thing, leave batmobile remote (press L1 - if you pressed R1, whoops, you just released your thing), walk 3 meters, rinse repeat.

Previous games' DLC wasn't well-received, so they make a big part of the game people like into DLC for the sequel.

Calling it a "scumbag approach" is pretty accurate.

Yeah, wasn't keen on buying the season pass because previous DLC didn't really warrant the price at all. But, fuck, I was convinced I would be able to spend a lot of time in the challenge rooms again, what a downer.

schick85

And he was alright with the acting and story in City? That doesn't make sense considering how spot on everything has been (in terms of delivery and performance) in Arkham Knight four hours in. This is coming from someone who tends to nitpick everything in a game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Fuck off manbat.

Also, fuck off Riddler.

Although tbf, its the batmobile pissing me off for his challenges.

Got the game finally running decently on my laptop. Enjoying my time with it despite the technical mess.

Also Bat mobile controls are much better when you turn on the toggle option for tank mode.

leeh

Not going to lie, I'm appalled with the IQ on X1. It doesn't even look 900p.

This is my first Batman game and it's taking me a while to get used to traversing around, but I'm loving it so far. The batmobile is awesome.

Top Bottom