• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

SomTervo

I don't really get the tank gameplay. Like, when you're in regular Batman combat or stealth mode you have so many different ways of moving around a space and making it your own. In tank mode, you have, like, one objective always: avoid the lines. I won't argue as to whether or not that's any fun, but it is unquestionably much, much less expressive.

Sure, the traversal rooms are usually one-solution situations, but at least each one feels kind of novel. The avoid-the-lines thing feels like it should be a one time set-piece.

It gets a bit better later on. So many drones, and you get the ability to hack them onto your side, combo better, dodge better, etc. And some boss-type battles force you to mix between Battle Mode and Drive Mode.

Damn, all this hype. I'm thinking of buying it for PS4. How is the image quality?
Are there very apparent jaggies?

It looks bloody brilliant. In terms of actual IQ, it's not amazing, you don't have to look hard to find jaggies.

But that's like 1/50th of how amazing it looks. The other 49/50 aspects of the visual design and simulation are utterly staggering.

Seriously, I did not expect to get a mini heart attack

Creature of the night

I love how well they integrate unique moments and unique encounters into stuff we do every second.

Yeah, I don't buy into that excuse. Delay it by ten days if it needs it, except the mentality is it would still have a day 1 patch. Even after this patch, anyone willing to bet there won't be any large bugs found? And its not even the day 1 patch that is the issue, it is the sheer size. I am lucky to have good bandwidth and the money where I get a good ISP to allow for unlimited downloads. I did not always have that and appreciate many don't, and for those people it sucks a lot more.

It was also not always the case and doesn't have to be currently.

On the one hand, yes, you're right. Devs didn't use day one patches in the past, so why should they need them now? This is valid and there's definitely an argument that it hampers quality of product and quality of experience.

On the other hand, the internet has never been so broadly integrated with gaming platforms or generally so fast in countries with the most gamers. Until a game's "release date" it is technically still being worked on full time, probably more than full time in "crunch mode". So up until release date, what's stopping them from working on the game's code, even if discs are being printed already? Basically the physical object and the game's actual 'DNA' are gradually becoming disparate entities anyway. What should stop them from releasing patches on the game's release date to make sure consumers get the best version they possibly can?

JonnyKong

The bit I played last night where
Joker sings to Batman in the movie studios

Hands down one of my favourite gaming moments in months.

SomTervo

The bit I played last night where
Joker sings to Batman in the movie studios

Hands down one of my favourite gaming moments in months.

The poem he sings about
Barbara
is so utterly dark and grim, too, I love it. He does it
in your mind while you're just moving about the open world.

Saint9806

I sill have many hours before I finish the Witcher 3 and move to Batman.

I can't be the only person here playing several games at the same time... Just started Arkham Knight, still playing Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, MKX, and USFIV... It sometimes gets overwhelming but I can't see myself just trying to finish one at a time.

neoism

jesus christ man this fucking game just hard fucked my ps4 :(

though it was bricked..

it froze sold... had to fucking unplug it

what the fuckkkkk lol i just read the DF thread and was like yes glad i got it on ps4.....

-_______________-

i played 7 hours yesterday without no problem

what the fuck..

I love the gameplay in this game. Everything flows so well, and you feel like such a badass once you get a hang of the controls and buttons. I love taking out a huge group of thugs, and then calling the batmobile in just as the last guy is about to hit me so it swings round takes him out.

Also, just for the pure style factor, when you grapple an enemy and pull him towards you, rotate the right stick as you're elbowing him downwards in slow-mo. :p

Played for about 5 hours so far, game is fantastic. I actually don't mind the batmobile gameplay. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's not bad nor is it a chore. On foot and combat is better than it's ever been. Story is great so far. It's on track to be my favorite Arkham game.

neoism

just so you guys know not sure what the fuck just happened but....

If the music stops and the icons in your mission wheel arent there restart the game with restart or it will freeze and im mean completely....:(

Seriously, I did not expect to get a mini heart attack

Creature of the night

That's crazy. What exactly happened? For me
I heard a scream, then saw him flying in the air after turning detective vision on while gliding. I then just dive bombed him and tackled him, getting the jump on him

Siegmeyer

How many combat challenge rooms are there in this? It's where I put the majority of my time in the Arkham games, so it's the main factor in whether I want to grab it now or wait for a price drop.

Also, are there any changes or additions to the combat system? Origins added the ninja enemies but that was about it. It would be nice if there were a few more additions this time.

I love the gameplay in this game. Everything flows so well, and you feel like such a badass once you get a hang of the controls and buttons. I love taking out a huge group of thugs, and then calling the batmobile in just as the last guy is about to hit me so it swings round takes him out.

Also, just for the pure style factor, when you grapple an enemy and pull him towards you, rotate the right stick as you're elbowing him downwards in slow-mo. :p

Everything about the way everything is presented is so slick and stylish. I don't know how they've managed to make combat even better, but Batman is just non-stop badass things happening, all the time.

It's like "Oh you dropped your weapon? Time to style on em"

AK4.gif

"Wipe yourself off, man. You dead"

AK7.gif

And just when you think there's nothing left, we Street Fighter now.

AK11-2.gif

I heard a scream, then saw him flying in the air after turning detective vision on while gliding. I then just dive bombed him and tackled him, getting the jump on him

After you've got to the point where
Riddler reveals that he has Catwoman he'll randomly jump out at you when you grapple up onto a building, triggering the quest.

Talking of that mission
Man-Bat's backstory is pretty sad.

Hagi

You
go to land on a roof with the grappling hook and he lands right in front of you screaming then flys away.
I shat myself, totally unexpected.

cackhyena

Is this game worth the full price?

So far for me, yes. I really can't stand the forced batmobile shit that brings the missions to a grinding halt, though. The Riddler races are terrible as well. The tank mode stuff is okay. Everything else is the Bats stuff Rocksteady does so well, taken to the next gen level as far as looks. The atmosphere is so good and packed with so much detail. New little additions to the combat help as well.

Hagi

Is crime alley a location in the game? The three maps kind of throw me off in terms of where things are located compared to previous games.

I would have liked some WHAM POW sound effects to go with the Adam West skin.

So how do you actually do this mission? I have no idea how to achieve the goal.

search for him in the sky, when you hear his screams, chase him and the mission will continue from there

This is pretty fucking cool

I went to grapple up a building, as I reached the top, he greeted me with a scream, right into my face, nearly dropped my controller

low-G

I really like the tank & racing sections.

Tank gameplay reminds me of classics like Assault Rigs or Alien Front Online...

I may even like that stuff more than Batman gameplay when trying to be stealthy. (Never was my favorite thing about the previously games)

cantona222

I can't be the only person here playing several games at the same time... Just started Arkham Knight, still playing Witcher 3, Dark Souls 2, MKX, and USFIV... It sometimes gets overwhelming but I can't see myself just trying to finish one at a time.

Interesting. I may do that too.

Yeah. Not only is it awesome fanservice, but
you can get an important and useful item much earlier than the game tells you to

Woah, what? Do you get the item later in a cutscene or something? Because I interacted with everything in that room and never got an item...

Hagi

search for him in the sky, when you hear his screams, chase him and the mission will continue from there

Oh right
I did that for a little while then thought how the fuck am I supposed to get a blood sample and batmobiled away.
Thanks for the help.

I get my new TV today! Can't wait to get home and be the bat in style. I played for several hours last night but I am itching to get back into it. Great culmination of everything in AA and AC.

idonteven

think i got a glitch at the ending ? ?
when i active knightfall protocol nothing happens,its says pick next mission but nothing happens when i do

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they'd have at least tried to give The Riddler something new to do. I get it, it's his shtick, but the "you'll never get this" -- "you got that?! You'll never get the next one" loop is so tired.

SomTervo

Yeah, I've been making efforts to clear my back log, but at the moment I just can't resist playing The Witcher 3 and Batman at the same time to tide me over to MGSV in September.

My back log can wait until October (or next year :p )

SomTervo

not exactly my idea of 'better', thanks :) ...

Welp, you said it wasn't deep enough and just seemed to be about dodging firing lines, so I gave a couple of examples of how it gets deeper than that later on.

Fair enough though.

Imo the Batmobile is great. And if we didn't have the fire-lines from enemy drones, the tank combat would be 100x more frustrating. In its current bullet-hell type form I actually love it. Dodging about while nailing drones flawlessly and seamlessly is fantastic fun.

Not to mention that this only what you do for like 20% of your time in the car, but hey.

People keep saying the game is huge but the map looks so tiny.

What gives?

It's about 5 times bigger than Origins, I think. Maybe 5 times bigger than City.

It's the density which makes it big, though. I look at the World Map and I get really disappointed, too. But then once I'm soaring over it, it kind of hits you just how much is crammed in there, and that it's got more verticality than any other open world game. There's sometimes like 'top of roof' down to 'middle of roof/overpasses' down to 'street level' down to 'beneath the street'. Not to mention a lot of seamless interiors. It's really crazy when you start exploring.

It's not broad in the sense of The Witcher or GTA. But it's very big as a three-dimensional space – just not in terms of square mileage as a flat space, X and Z axes.

The second Riddler challenge is so annoying. Why does Batman have to jump into the Batmobile when it's being remotely controlled whenever it's close to him?

Wait so traditional challenge maps are gone?!?! And reviewers figured it would be ok not to mention this, wtf to me this is a MAJOR issue.

The one AR combat challenge I did was shit. It didn't care about scores, about variation bonuses, it didn't have stages. What is this shit.

Top Bottom