• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Scoot2005

Banned
A friend of mine had this issue. Just restart the ps4, that worked for him.

Will try. Thanks for the tip.

Edit - What sucked is it stopped right when
you turn around and see the Joker ghost. He went SURPRISE! and then it stopped.

Edit 2 - Worked like a charm. Thanks friend.

SomTervo

Wait so traditional challenge maps are gone?!?! And reviewers figured it would be ok not to mention this, wtf to me this is a MAJOR issue.

The one AR combat challenge I did was shit. It didn't care about scores, about variation bonuses, it didn't have stages. What is this shit.

They're there, man. But yes, in a different form. The combat ones definitely take into account your move variation - but it's gutting that they don't happen over 3 stages. Really compromises the point of the old ones: that you had to maintain your quality of play in three instances.

Also most of the combat challenges are now Batmobile focused. It's something like 23 challenges, 15 of which are Batmobile. Then there's 4 predator maps and 4 combat maps.

Pretty poor.

The second Riddler challenge is so annoying. Why does Batman have to jump into the Batmobile when it's being remotely controlled whenever it's close to him?

Yeah, this is a big design flaw in that level imo. Aside from that I quite liked the challenge, but that bit was idiotic.

I love the gameplay in this game. Everything flows so well, and you feel like such a badass once you get a hang of the controls and buttons. I love taking out a huge group of thugs, and then calling the batmobile in just as the last guy is about to hit me so it swings round takes him out.

Also, just for the pure style factor, when you grapple an enemy and pull him towards you, rotate the right stick as you're elbowing him downwards in slow-mo. :p

Hang on.

You can rotate the camera when on final-strike slomo cam?

Megaton.

tmespe

So I couldn't resist getting this, even though I still have a huge amount of stuff left in the Witcher 3. For those of you who already got this, how large is the initial download? Was hoping to start playing a bit without downloading the whole 45Gb.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't go into the console screenshot thread guys. Some fucking asshole just spoiled something HUGE that's supposedly from late in the game. I'm fucking pissed.

hbkdx12

It's a minor annoyance but i really hate that more often than not i'll call in the batmobile only for it to slide in and essentially have me jump in and then be facing the opposite direction from before it got there.

Pretty sure i read a couple of reviews saying that the batmobile doesn't do that. It makes it a bit difficult to keep my momentum in stride from controlling batman to going to the batmobile

Not that they're super important but i've lost out on a few chases cuz of this

Pilgrimzero

Played for a few hours and my one big gripe is: Too much Batmobile. Oh, and stuff like the
firemen and mutilated bodies, how am I supposed to find all those with wasting a lot of time just gliding around hoping for an audio cue that I notice while trying not to crash etc?

Oh and fights seem very easy compared to the previous games, especially thanks to the Fear Takedowns

I have gotten to
Babs is kidnapped
, does it explain how the bad guys
knew how to find her? I'm assuming they don't know she was working with Bats and just wanted Gordon's daughter.

MAAAN, I clicked on a spoiler that was labelled "2 hours in", as I easily spent more than two hours, and what sounds like a big twist was spoiled for me :(

Don't go into the console screenshot thread guys. Some fucking asshole just spoiled something HUGE that's supposedly from late in the game. I'm fucking pissed.

Duly noted. People just can't resist.

The "I shouldn't have to be a decent person just because you haven't beaten a game in 24 hours" mindset is sad to me.

I've never played any of the batman games but I just got this. Is there anything a newcomer to the franchise should know that's not explained in this game that was in the others.

Like are there collectables/secrets if so what do they look like how do you interact with them. Stuff like that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol. Did he get the ban hammer?

Not yet at least. He's also changed his screens to non-spoiler stuff now. But in his original post he was all "Arkham Knight endgame shit!", like he was proud of spoiling it for everyone. He fucking BETTER get banned for this. And never come back, since he's a junior.

So apparently my game has been installing for 21 hours(PS4) and still isn't done. I can't even finish the ACE Chemicals section.

My game data wasn't installing (stuck at 1% for ~10 minutes) but I accidentally popped the disc out and when I put it back in it finished in like 5 minutes and I haven't ran into any installing walls. Just needed a kick in the pants I guess.

I've never played any of the batman games but I just got this. Is there anything a newcomer to the franchise should know that's not explained in this game that was in the others.

Like are there collectables/secrets if so what do they look like how do you interact with them. Stuff like that.

There are riddles and riddler trophies that can be collected throughout a regular playthrough and carried over to new game +. The majority of them are usually tied to some sort of puzzle. Some of which you might not be able to do without a future gadget you will get as the main game progresses.

The combat is some of the slickest around. Try not to get in the habit of just spamming attack all the time. Pay attention to the new moves and abilities you get and use them.

There are riddles and riddler trophies that can be collected throughout a regular playthrough and carried over to new game +. The majority of them are usually tied to some sort of puzzle. Some of which you might not be able to do without a future gadget you will get as the main game progresses.

The combat is some of the slickest around. Try not to get in the habit of just spamming attack all the time. Pay attention to the new moves and abilities you get and use them.

It's worth it to go through all the available and unlockable moves/gadgets right off, even if you've played previous games.

clearly this is the best Batmobile skin choice (also the only other one than default I have right now...lol)

kpzb.jpg

This game isn;t bad, but it's not really anything to write home about. I'd say it's basically more of the same, with the exception of the bat mobile segments that seem to make the game worse.

SomTervo

There's a lot to learn, bub. Arkham Asylum and City made a big effort to help ease new players into things, but Arkham Knight explains almost nothing. Seriously.

1. Open up the map and navigate to the 'W' tab for 'Waynetech'. This is your skill tree. If you open the middle option, which doesn't have any upgradable abilities, you can read all of Batman's base moves in the game. It's worth going and reading every one of these in the 'core skill' hex in the middle of the skill tree. [Edit: I bring this up because frankly it doesn't even teach you the basics of what you can do and how stuff works. I don't think it explained countering much, if at all, when I started.]

2. Fighting isn't about hitting as hard and fast as you can. Never button-mash. Fighting is about stringing your attacks, blocks and dodges into one, flowing movement. Build up your combo: chain punches, blocks, dodges, gadget throws and special moves without getting hit or missing a strike. If you are hit or miss a beat, it kills your combo, giving you 1/10th as much EXP as you'd get for flowing all of it in one movement. Countering when nobody attacks also kills your combo.

3. Don't think you can survive bullets.

The rest should be pretty evident!

[Edit: plus what others said about collectibles. Also quite a few side missions don't show you where to go immediately. For example, the Firemen one. It shows you the first couple, but after that you have to listen to the police radio for hints on where the rest are, or find them yourself with Detective Mode. There are a few other side missions like this.]

It's a minor annoyance but i really hate that more often than not i'll call in the batmobile only for it to slide in and essentially have me jump in and then be facing the opposite direction from before it got there.

Pretty sure i read a couple of reviews saying that the batmobile doesn't do that. It makes it a bit difficult to keep my momentum in stride from controlling batman to going to the batmobile

Not that they're super important but i've lost out on a few chases cuz of this

I think the car will swing around to the direction you were pointing when you pressed the button.

Quite a few times I've pressed the button THEN looked the direction I want it to point and it looks the wrong way.

Only a couple hours in, but I am mostly enjoying the Batmobile.

The biggest issue I have with it is the controls. What was RS thinking? Wish I could remap this thing. I keep trying to brake with L2.

Finally got to play it and see Batman equip himself, if you know what I mean. What a lovely lovely game. Gliding through the city has never felt this exciting, smooth and fast. The game looks and plays so good on the ps4. Hope you're all enjoying it as well folks

I think it's hilarious how this game expects you to have played the previous ones and therefore barely explains anything. As someone who played all the other games I like it but it must be awful for a newcomer.

Only a couple hours in, but I am mostly enjoying the Batmobile.

The biggest issue I have with it is the controls. What was RS thinking? Wish I could remap this thing. I keep trying to brake with L2.

I occasionally try to brake with L2, but that's not the game's fault. I'll occasionally hit L2 and square after being used to GTA's brake and handbrake — I end up entering combat mode and blowing up a random car

Same with getting in and out of the Batmobile — I'll his triangle to get out and instead boost forward. It all works in relation to the other mapped buttons. It's really different from other games, but it's not a bad control scheme.

I occasionally try to brake with L2, but that's not the game's fault. I'll occasionally hit L2 and square after being used to GTA's brake and handbrake — I end up entering combat mode and blowing up a random car

Same with getting in and out of the Batmobile — I'll his triangle to get out and instead boost forward. It all works in relation to the other mapped buttons. It's really different from other games, but it's not a bad control scheme.

yeah...the Batmobile is easily the most difficult thing to get used to for me so far

plus I haven't Batman'd it up in a while so I'm rusty overall with all of the combat and traversal...once I get back in the rhythm it'll be alright

---

question...would playing either of the Red Hood/Harley Quinn Story packs spoil anything major in the game or should I just wait on those?

BFIB

Damn, that sucks. :(

I'm way behind on Witcher 3, I'd say about 40% done w/ the main story, but since the game has been out now for a month or so, I'm also seeing a lot of spoilery shots (well, for me at least). That I get, but 24 hrs? That's ridiculous.

I love seeing the screenshots though. :( Stupid GAF Catch 22!

I think it's hilarious how this game expects you to have played the previous ones and therefore barely explains anything. As someone who played all the other games I like it but it must be awful for a newcomer.

If there's one thing then it is that I am surprised at the lack of any cinematics at the
start of the game to explain the events of Arkham Asylum and City.

ironcreed

Banned
This game isn;t bad, but it's not really anything to write home about. I'd say it's basically more of the same, with the exception of the bat mobile segments that seem to make the game worse.

After being initially very impressed, this where I am sitting now as well. I plan to power through it and head on back to ESO.

Kaizer

Banned
So guys, call me crazy, but so far the Batmobile is FUCKIN' DOPE. Of course, I switched the controls to toggle mode & I just did the first Riddler Challenge, but the Batmobile feels good to control. I definitely feel badass rolling around Gotham in it.

Maybe my opinion on that will change soon, but it's making a good first impression on me in the early stages.

This game is great. Playing on the Xbox One and I haven't noticed any issues. In regards to Batman's upgrades (not the Batmobile), anyone have any recommendations?

witness

OK so I know that you can see the other suits now on cinematics, unlike the old games, but my question is do they also get damaged after story segments or do they always look nice?

Really enjoying my time with it, can't wait to see where the story goes, and I like the batmobile a lot. It's just what I wanted.

Anyone know if the Gothans Future skin pack will be available for purchase? I hate microtransactions but that I gotta buy.

didn't WB come out and say all of the pre-order DLC that was available will be released down the line? (once all of the various exclusivity windows have expired)

If there's one thing then it is that I am surprised at the lack of any cinematics at the
start of the game to explain the events of Arkham Asylum and City.

Seriously, a 30 second video or something probably could've done it. But then again as someone who played the other games I kind of like that it just gets right into things.

Definitely.It plays like any other car when you switch it. Who uses square to brake?

No problem. Switching made the batmobile much more intuitive and fun. I really enjoy driving it actually.

but when you switch the Battle Mode to toggle doesn't that just make L2 reverse and still not really brake? (at least that's what the in-game control layout says in Options)

Got a question for anyone playing through the AR challenges. Can you use upgrades in these challeges? Or are you powered down accordingly?

Also, how is drifting done properly? Are there upgrades that enable you to drift more easily? And can you use a quick tap battle mode to drift? I get the sense that there's the potential to do it, but I'm really a good driver in the game so far.

Seriously, a 30 second video or something probably could've done it. But then again as someone who played the other games I kind of like that it just gets right into things.

Well yes, I have played the first two games during their release to hearts content, but I still expected it though ☺

GavinUK86

If there's anyone who hasn't got the Haryley Quinn or Red Hood DLC then you can watch them both here and here. It's pathetic how short they are and doesn't really tell you much either. I was hoping they'd both be cool prequels but nope. Basically just challenge rooms.

Saint9806

Hmmm, That explains why I see some breakable objects on my map but I can't freaking break them.

Parshias7

Played through ACE chemicals last night, I guess I'm one of the luckier ones as it runs OK for me on PC. I have a couple questions:

-I did the fireman rescure/riddler race/body sidequests that were available right at the beginning. Right now, if I go back into that menu, there is nothing else to select. Do more show up as I go through the story, or do I need to be searching around for more on my own?

-I ran into some Riddler informants in a car while out driving. I shot them with the pacifier, flipped their car, and got out to fight them. I beat the two of them down but didn't get anything from it. There was no hint pop-up to suggest what I am supposed to be doing to get information out of these informants. What's the deal?

or do I need to be searching around for more on my own?

-There was no hint pop-up to suggest what I am supposed to be doing to get information out of these informants. What's the deal?

1. Yeah you need to search around on your own.Try listening to the police broadcasts and/or flying around with detective mode on.

2. The riddler informants are highlighted in green, you need to beat down everyone else first, then youll get a prompt to interrogate the riddler informant.

Played through ACE chemicals last night, I guess I'm one of the luckier ones as it runs OK for me on PC. I have a couple questions:

-I did the fireman rescure/riddler race/body sidequests that were available right at the beginning. Right now, if I go back into that menu, there is nothing else to select. Do more show up as I go through the story, or do I need to be searching around for more on my own?

-I ran into some Riddler informants in a car while out driving. I shot them with the pacifier, flipped their car, and got out to fight them. I beat the two of them down but didn't get anything from it. There was no hint pop-up to suggest what I am supposed to be doing to get information out of these informants. What's the deal?

with the Riddler informants (they glow green in Detective Mode) you can't beat them down...you have to keep them up and then press the Interrogate button to pick them up and get info out of them

Guys is pressing square+X always the move set for performing environmental takedowns, say when you've got a light bulb dangling above you or you're seeing an electric switch box next to you? Does it always work this way or I've got to wait until it shows me the button prompt? Also I my fingers keeping going for R2 when I am in combat, batman's just crouching when he needs to be throwing them upper cuts and finishing moves 😂

Top Bottom