• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

stn

I noticed in the first combat challenge that there's some orange symbol next to a +1 as a reward. What does it mean? I got 55 kills but I'm wondering if its worth going for 60 to get the reward.

I noticed in the first combat challenge that there's some orange symbol next to a +1 as a reward. What does it mean? I got 55 kills but I'm wondering if its worth going for 60 to get the reward.

Pretty sure it just means you get an upgrade point if you get 3 stars.

Catdaddy

I've only been playing for short time and I haven't been to the edge of the first map/island.. so there are jumps to get to new areas?

It was looking like the map was small, and I couldn't zoom out to see any other areas.

Those are "Rival Points" (or something like that)...no idea what they are for outside of just showing you've went above and beyond the requirement and just show off

I got 2 for the first Batmobile race (one for each second under 42 seconds you finish) and 1 for the first Combo Challenge (1 for every x10 you go past x50)

Liamc723

After putting a couple more hours into the game, I think I can safely say this is the most disappointing game of the year so far.

-Absolutely nothing has grabbed me in the first 4 or so hours of the game. It's not very exciting.

-The batmobile is overused and clunky to control

-The controls in general are clunky to use

-Combat is basically spam square over and over again

I'll finish the game, but only because I have absolutely nothing else to play.

Hahah I love my wife. She was watching me play last night after I'd just started.

(Early character slight spoiler)

Poison Ivy
(to Batman): "Who taught you how to drive?"

My wife: "It sure wasn't his dad."

Daaaaaaaamn.

Hahah I love my wife. She was watching me play last night after I'd just started.

(Early character slight spoiler)

Poison Ivy
(to Batman): "Who taught you how to drive?"

My wife: "It sure wasn't his dad."

Daaaaaaaamn.

joker-laugh-o.gif

SomTervo

After putting a couple more hours into the game, I think I can safely say this is the most disappointing game of the year so far.

-Absolutely nothing has grabbed me in the first 4 or so hours of the game. It's not very exciting.

Lol.

It's almost becoming my GotY so far, it's catching up with The Witcher 3 very quickly just because of how fun it is.

Also almost none of the mechanics are clunky imo. The Batmobile sort of is because it's a huge powerful machine that runs away with its own power. But once you embrace that mad aspect of it, it's just brilliant fun.

On-foot moving around and combat is incredibly efficient, precise and solid.

I can tell you never played any of the earlier games. If you think combat is just a case of mashing the punch button, you have no idea what you're doing and are going to be destroyed in fistfights from mid-game onwards.

cackhyena

That's what you come away with from combat? I don't even...

Liamc723

Lol.

It's almost becoming my GotY so far, it's catching up with The Witcher 3 very quickly just because of how fun it is.

Also almost none of the mechanics are clunky imo. The Batmobile sort of is because it's a huge powerful machine that runs away with its own power. But once you embrace that mad aspect of it, it's just brilliant fun.

On-foot moving around and combat is incredibly efficient, precise and solid.

I can tell you never played any of the earlier games. If you think combat is just a case of mashing the punch button, you have no idea what you're doing and are going to be destroyed in fistfights from mid-game onwards.

I completed both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, both of which had exactly the same combat where you used square and then a takedown. It's the same here. It's not fun.

SomTervo

If there is a better way, the game does a very bad job of introducing new combat mechanics.

It doesn't really teach you any of the complex combat mechanics because it assumes you played the earlier games. Which is pretty stupid, I admit.

But in time you'll be coming up against enemies who you can't touch with punching or dodging, and you'll have to step your game up. The genius of the system is that it rewards good play with significantly more XP. The more moves and gadgets you use in a fight, and doing so without breaking your combo once, nets you tons more XP than if you just hit the punch button and lose your combo a lot.

Tbh, the combat system only came into its own in the earlier games' Challenge Rooms, which have been massively and tragically downgraded in this title.

I completed both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, both of which had exactly the same combat where you used square and then a takedown. It's the same here. It's not fun.

That's fair enough, then. I love it, personally. It gives you choice and scales from being lame "press square to win" to "Be The Bat". I try to get in-depth with it as much as possible for my own enjoyment, using loads of gadgets and taking fools down as efficiently as possible. On Hard it features quite a few challenging fights, too.

But yeah, if you don't dig it after playing it that much, then fair enough. Clearly just not for you. I'm loving every mechanic and encounter in Arkham Knight up to the nines. I find it so immersive and such a good Batman simulator. The only bits I haven't enjoyed are Riddler's Batmobile puzzles.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

If you're just spamming punches you'll get fucked up later on in the game

Catdaddy

I wouldn’t mind the Batmobile if it handled better, maybe it’ll take time to get used to. I may remap the reverse to L2, but using R1 for Battle Mode then the R2/L2 for weapons looks to be rather awkward, but I’ll try it. Every time I used the afterburner I plowed straight into buildings, poles, and even managed to flip it on several occasions.

Klyka

Banned
I swear the game just looks way too busy and also too shiny with the rain.

in AA and AC during combat,even against huge gorups,it was very easy to immediately see which enemy was what and what they were doing. In this, I feel stuff is constantly drowned out by all the effects and shininess and objects.

Lyonaz

If there is a better way, the game does a very bad job of introducing new combat mechanics.

Yeah I agree it doesn't teach you the combat mechanics, they expect you to know them because of the previous games. You can however check all the available movesets at your upgrade screen, complete with small video-examples. I recommend people to atleast go through them once.

Tabby

How do I unlock the first Combat AR challenge? It says something about transitioning dive off a rooftop but I have no idea what that means.

This is on PC btw.

ironcreed

Banned
I swear the game just looks way too busy and also too shiny with the rain.

in AA and AC during combat,even against huge gorups,it was very easy to immediately see which enemy was what and what they were doing. In this, I feel stuff is constantly drowned out by all the effects and shininess and objects.

I honestly don't get all the praise for how gorgeous it is. I mean, it looks nice, but it is not what I would call a pretty game at all. The image is too soft, there is aliasing everywhere, the textures are not great and some of the characters have that waxy UE3 look going on. Hell, I think even Dying Light looks better. I had a lot more fun with it, too.

So frustrated that I couldn't keep playing yesterday after that weird "Game Data still installing" or whatever bullshit they popped after I tried to go to the GCPD in the early part of the game.

I wonder if it works now.

How do I unlock the first Combat AR challenge? It says something about transitioning dive off a rooftop but I have no idea what that means.

This is on PC btw.

Sprint of a rooftop and hold down right trigger (or whatever the corresponding button is) and you'll go straight from a jump into a dive bomb.

Liamc723

That's fair enough, then. I love it, personally. It gives you choice and scales from being lame "press square to win" to "Be The Bat". I try to get in-depth with it as much as possible for my own enjoyment, using loads of gadgets and taking fools down as efficiently as possible. On Hard it features quite a few challenging fights, too.

But yeah, if you don't dig it after playing it that much, then fair enough. Clearly just not for you. I'm loving every mechanic and encounter in Arkham Knight up to the nines. I find it so immersive and such a good Batman simulator. The only bits I haven't enjoyed are Riddler's Batmobile puzzles.

I thought Asylum and City were great, but this one just isn't interesting me in the slightest, which is a shame. I'll carry on playing, but personally I can only describe this game as a disappointment.

Vire

I find it interesting how hardcore gamers are always demanding less hand holding and then we get a game like Arkham Knight which skips the endless tutorials and objective markers plastered all over the map telling you exactly where to go instead of encouraging exploration and all I see here is complaining...

I personally find it refreshing that the game doesn't treat me like an idiot.

Klyka

Banned
I honestly don't get all the praise for how gorgeous it is. I mean, it looks nice, but it is not what I would call a pretty game at all. The image is too soft, there is aliasing everywhere, the textures are not great and some of the characters have that waxy UE3 look going on. Hell, I think even Dying Light looks better. I had a lot more fun with it, too.

The game looks like a more detailed Arkham City, which is pretty damn great. THe water effects are beautiful too.

It's just too busy for my tastes.

IMACOMPUTA

Actually was able to play a little last night on pc.

Pleasantly surprised by the environmental destruction while in the batmobile. Crashed into some walls of brick buildings and they crumbled, causing a hole in the side.

Is this an Nvidia exclusive feature? Or do the consoles have the same level of destruction?

Did you play the previous games? If not then I would recommend you take a look at the combat moves list. Yeah, I agree with you that the game does a piss poor job at teaching people new to the series how things work.

I played the hell out of the previous games and still think that there are a lot of abilities that were confusing as to whether or not I should be able to do them (like launching out of the car into a glide).

ironcreed

Banned
The game looks like a more detailed Arkham City, which is pretty damn great. THe water effects are beautiful too.

Yeah, it is nice. It's just not what I would consider great. Hopefully the rain stops at some point as well.

Loving the game so far but it does focus way too much on the Batmobile. It doesn't feel so much like a gadget but a main focal point of the game. Also that Batwing looks SICK but I'm quite sure we don't get to pilot it.

Justice League 3000 suit is dabes.

Renae

Hello, without spoilers, how is the game story, are there many twists ? Because thanks to some people on Internet, I know who the Arkham Knight is, so I'm a bit disappointed...

I love the game but damn if Gotham isn't very underwhelming here. Small playscape and nothing really stands out. Designing a symmetrical three island playfield was a mistake as well imo.

Klyka

Banned
Loving the game so far but it does focus way too much on the Batmobile. It doesn't feel so much like a gadget but a main focal point of the game. Also that Batwing looks SICK but I'm quite sure we don't get to pilot it.

Justice League 3000 suit is dabes.

I had to laugh at the Riddler challenge.

I love the game but damn if Gotham isn't very underwhelming here. Small playscape and nothing really stands out. Designing a symmetrical three island playfield was a mistake as well imo.

The Batmobile is too fast and slidy/floaty for me too. I am just like,rocketing through Gotham and can't take anything around me in at all. Cars suddenly woosh past me in an instant and then are already gone cause I am at the end of the street already.
Everything is just busy and shiny and wet from the rain.

Really need to get used to this after the very sombre tone of Arkham Asylum/City/Origins overworld.

There's parts of the game where they disable skills without telling you i'm sure of it.

I had over x8 combo but the game would not allow me to do a takedown.

Dez_

I am having fun with the game, despite the technical issues. I was really fumbling around for a while, since the game throws you to the deep end, expecting you to remember all the nuanced parts of the combat from the previous games. Love the fear takedown moves, and I'm getting back into the combat and stealth groove.

The batmobile usage is definitely a lot. I don't mind it right now, but since it feels like it covers the majority of the gameplay right now, I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if this keeps up with me having to winch and yank everything. I just finished the Ace Chemicals area.
I totally yelled out loud at the end of that area. I should have seen that jump scare coming, but nope. The one after that with Gordon was a bit more obvious.

kaskade

One thing that always kind of weirded me out with these games is that there's a sense of urgency since it takes place over one night. I feel like I should be just plowing through the main story stuff before any side stuff.

SomTervo

I thought Asylum and City were great, but this one just isn't interesting me in the slightest, which is a shame. I'll carry on playing, but personally I can only describe this game as a disappointment.

That's really odd! But an interesting opinion. This game has exceeded my expectations, and I loved Asylum but didn't enjoy City very much.

It definitely has a different vibe. Going a lot more for dark realism - ironically while bringing in the most absurd gadget the series has ever seen in the Batmobile.

I personally have spent probably 2-3 hours of my time with it just chasing down goons, helping cops in car chases, swooping around the city feeling like The Bat. It's captured that for me better than any of the others. Also some of the encounters later on get great - Batmobile stuff excepted.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I am having fun with the game, despite the technical issues. I was really fumbling around for a while, since the game throws you to the deep end, expecting you to remember all the nuanced parts of the combat from the previous games. Love the fear takedown moves, and I'm getting back into the combat and stealth groove.

The batmobile usage is definitely a lot. I don't mind it right now, but since it feels like it covers the majority of the gameplay right now, I'm not sure I'll feel the same way if this keeps up with me having to winch and yank everything. I just finished the Ace Chemicals area.
I totally yelled out loud at the end of that area. I should have seen that jump scare coming, but nope. The one after that with Gordon was a bit more obvious.
Remind me, whats that second jump scare? I crapped myself at the first one, totally did not expect him to appear.

There's parts of the game where they disable skills without telling you i'm sure of it.

I had over x8 combo but the game would not allow me to do a takedown.

Yeah about this. I have no idea what is going on here either. The X+Y takedowns are disabled for me too now that I am going out and exploring Gotham. I keep racking up these high multipliers but get no prompt to take down.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think he was referring to the Batman: Endgame comic, not the end of the game itself. Also, the spoiler is fortunately from an hour or two into the main storyline, not the end. Still incredibly frustrating though, since Rocksteady intentionally went to great lengths not to reveal it.

Oh, ok, I'm not familiar with most of the comics, so I thought he was talking about the actual end of the game. I'm happy to hear this actually happens rather early on, but it's still a shitty thing to have spoiled. I wish people would use their damn brains and be a little considerate.

kinggroin

Banned
Why isn't the subtitle of this thread "Project Gotham Racing"?

Oh, I'm team Batmobile BTW. Makes the game so much more diverse and interesting to play than the previous ones.

I also loved the mini game shit in Bayonetta, so...

TS-08

Why isn't the subtitle of this thread "Project Gotham Racing"?

Oh, I'm team Batmobile BTW. Makes the game so much more diverse and interesting to play than the previous ones.

I also loved the mini game shit in Bayonetta, so...

Because Batman protects Gotham.

Liamc723

I personally have spent probably 2-3 hours of my time with it just chasing down goons, helping cops in car chases, swooping around the city feeling like The Bat. It's captured that for me better than any of the others. Also some of the encounters later on get great - Batmobile stuff excepted.

Those are the last things I want to do. I just want to plow through the main story and trade the game in so I can get the majority of my money back. Sorry, but I'm just not enjoying the game. Glad you are though!

SomTervo

Those are the last things I want to do. I just want to plow through the main story and trade the game in so I can get the majority of my money back. Sorry, but I'm just not enjoying the game. Glad you are though!

Yeah, I mean, I'm only doing those things because I find them genuinely compelling and addictive. Good luck with it anyway! Maybe years down the line you'll get a Batman simulator itch and this game will scratch it :D

Top Bottom