• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

The Harley Quinn DLC, as a piece of DLC, is pretty shit isn't it. In itself it's fine, but it's like 10 minutes long with zero replay-ability.

FrsDvl

I really want this, but i feel like i'll probably end up being disappointed.
As someone that loved Asylum, but disliked City a lot, is this game any good?

Remind me, whats that second jump scare? I crapped myself at the first one, totally did not expect him to appear.

I think the second is when the Joker appears in the same way as Man-Bat as a joke. I totally didn't expect it.

Those are the last things I want to do. I just want to plow through the main story and trade the game in so I can get the majority of my money back. Sorry, but I'm just not enjoying the game. Glad you are though!

You're playing a Batman game but don't wanna do Batman things. I'm confused.

Only been a few hours but I feel bitterly disappointed too, something just feels off about the controls, the Batman games always felt intuitive despite the wealth of combat/traversal options, this time I'm running into way too many times where the game isn't doing what I want it to do.

I really want this, but i feel like i'll probably end up being disappointed.
As someone that loved Asylum, but disliked City a lot, is this game any good?

I really dont understand how you could love one and hate the other...but its got a lot more in common with City than Asylum so far. What exactly did you hate about City?

Also, if you have a PS4 you could find a friend willing to let you do a shareplay session so you can try it for yourself.

GravyButt

So i go into game options from the main menu on the ps4 and nothing that says battle mode. Just stuff like invert, pred awareness, hints, brightness....what am I doing wromg?

Tsukumo

I find it interesting how hardcore gamers are always demanding less hand holding and then we get a game like Arkham Knight which skips the endless tutorials and objective markers plastered all over the map telling you exactly where to go instead of encouraging exploration and all I see here is complaining...

I personally find it refreshing that the game doesn't treat me like an idiot.

Absolutely. It's quite punishing, especially when compared to the previous games. Everything I've read so far makes me certain that people who don't enjoy the batmobile actually do so because they are bad at it and not the other way around.

Holy shit, the stealth bat tank sections are awful. They go from annoying to terribly boring. This part really overstays its welcome.

Absolutely. It's quite punishing, especially when compared to the previous games. Everything I've read so far makes me certain that people who don't enjoy the batmobile actually do so because they are bad at it and not the other way around.
It's more that the tank (stealth and combat) isn't very fun in the first place and by the tenth or twentieth iteration of "take down enemy waves", you're just going through the motions.
It has way less gameplay variety than the foot sections do.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
They've said no loading in the game, but I've run into two instances of loading icons while just driving around into different sections of Gotham in the Batmobile on PS4. :|

Blader

Despite the Batmobile being really wonky to control (the driving controls are so loose and floaty, it's hard to believe this passed QA at all) I actually find it much faster to get around Gotham that way than by gliding and grappling. At least so far -- I'm only a couple hours in and haven't had much reason to scour the whole city yet.

Sober

On PC, but I found it odd the default costume wasn't accumulating damage over the course of the main story. It would show up in cutscenes (which were all in game) and then disappear after I got control back.

Even in the showcase menu the default suit at the end of the game it's all messed up but if I select it and start up the game, I have a pristine suit. (Which is funny because they give you a fresh version of the new Batsuit at the post game)

Also I kinda wish you could switch costumes without having quit out to the menu.

So i go into game options from the main menu on the ps4 and nothing that says battle mode. Just stuff like invert, pred awareness, hints, brightness....what am I doing wromg?

Are you trying to change the controls for the batmobile?

I think there is a box in game options that says "toggle battlemode" which will change your controls to L2=brake, R2=gas, R1= battlemode.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think the second is when the Joker appears in the same way as Man-Bat as a joke. I totally didn't expect it.

You're playing a Batman game but don't wanna do Batman things. I'm confused.

Not sure thats happened to me yet? Unless it has but I didn't jump aha

Sober

The Batmobile definitely overstays it's welcome and I'd say there's probably like half a dozen too many mandatory tank segments.

Also if you blitz through the main story I would say that's actually the harder way through the game as xp between levels balloons pretty quick, you can't get xp from fighting thugs in the open world anymore and most (or easier) upgrade points are locked behind Most Wanted sidequest progress.

Pryor

Still waiting on Amazon to deliver my copy. :/
Supposed to have been here yesterday but ended up being a no show and still waiting now. I can't even begin to tell you how jelly I am of you all.

Lancelot

I don't have the two PlayStation exclusive DLC's, bought the normal PSN version yesterday night. Is it pre-order only? Do I get them if I buy the season pass?

Pilgrimzero

I obviously do seeing as I completed both Asylum and City, and I haven't died once in this game either.

Same, the last thing I ever upgraded was the combat stuff. The combat is already "easy" the additional combos and gadget uses etc just make it "easier".

Through multiple play throughs of the previous games all I did was attack attack counter attack attack attack counter. Maybe throw a batarang or freeze blast on occasion to trip a dude up.

I don't have the two PlayStation exclusive DLC's, bought the normal PSN version yesterday night. Is it pre-order only? Do I get them if I buy the season pass?

Harley was preorder only, Red Hood was Game Stop preorder only. Season pass will get them in September I believe.

GravyButt

Are you trying to change the controls for the batmobile?

I think there is a box in game options that says "toggle battlemode" which will change your controls to L2=brake, R2=gas, R1= battlemode.
Yup. Nada says that. In game options i have this.

Invert look
Invert rotation
Invert flight controls
Invert batarang controls
Difficulty
Predator awareness
Camera assist
Hints
Brightness

Thats all.

Yup. Nada says that. In game options i have this.

Invert look
Invert rotation
Invert flight controls
Invert batarang controls
Difficulty
Predator awareness
Camera assist
Hints
Brightness

Thats all.

You have to beat the first batmobile challenge to unlock the toggle. Yeah, it's ridiculous.

Tsukumo

Holy shit, the stealth bat tank sections are awful. They go from annoying to terribly boring. This part really overstays its welcome.

It's more that the tank (stealth and combat) isn't very fun in the first place and by the tenth or twentieth iteration of "take down enemy waves", you're just going through the motions.
It has way less gameplay variety than the foot sections do.

It requires skill and timing. How isn't that fun and rewarding?
I mean, if someone who says the batmobile sections are bad could upload a clip to show and prove that they are good at it, I'd certainly be persuaded.
I think people just get frustrated with it and since those parts of the game aren't as immediate as the combat, they mark them as badly designed or just plain boring, instead of pushing through and enjoy the tank sections for the challenge and the chasing sections for the elating feeling of pure overpower XD

I had this question too. The toggle option only shows up after you progress in the game. I believe it shows up after you complete the first Batmobile training exercise, but if not then keep playing to the point where you can choose your Missions and it will be available.

Is it worth getting the Harley Quinn and Red Hood dlc on ebay for 5 bucks a piece? Has anybody played them yet?

No, they are super short and unoriginal. Not as good as Catwoman in AC. Maybe $5 total if you are really into the world and/or want all trophies.

They've said no loading in the game, but I've run into two instances of loading icons while just driving around into different sections of Gotham in the Batmobile on PS4. :|

I haven't had that at all. The game has been running very smoothly.

When do you get the
remote electrical charge gun?
Im 80% on the main story but still don't have it, needed it for like half the game for a Riddler challenge
final challenge to save Catwoman

Man-bat is terrifying-looking. I like how you had to catch him in the air instead of just going to a marker and doing the detective scanner.

Why do people do this? There is no context to what could be behind this spoiler tag. It could be a game ruining spoiler, it could be a new car, it could be the cure for cancer, it could be your reasoning for being inconsiderate. Who knows? The choice is yours!

nOoblet16

Anyone else feels like Batman's lines are so generic ?

A character could have a great lengthy dialogue and Batman will answer it with a generic "I'll handle it" / "Anything can happen" etc. Basically one liners that feels like they were voiced out of context but used here just like that.

Tsukumo

The Batmobile definitely overstays it's welcome and I'd say there's probably like half a dozen too many mandatory tank segments.

Also if you blitz through the main story I would say that's actually the harder way through the game as xp between levels balloons pretty quick, you can't get xp from fighting thugs in the open world anymore and most (or easier) upgrade points are locked behind Most Wanted sidequest progress.

Yeah but that's exactly what I don't get. So this sections make the game harder: what's wrong with that?

Pilgrimzero

Anyone else feels like Batman's lines are so generic ?

A character could have a great lengthy dialogue and Batman will answer it with a generic "I'll handle it" / "Anything can happen" etc. Basically one liners that feels like they were voiced out of context but used here just like that.

Ever since earing about the Adam West Batman skin (which I don't have, boo), every time Bat's says something I try to imagine Adam Wests voice saying it.

And the topic of voice acting, every time Scarcrow says something I picture Walter from Fringe. It's very distracting for me.

Top Bottom