• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Omega

Banned
Wat

How far are you? The game cranks up lots of what I loved about the previous games as your go on. At about 60% completion right now.

I beat the game?

Yeah, they really improved the boss fights. A vehicle combat section, a drive away and lure into trap section and a 'yeah I'm the boss but have fun with goons" was such a vast improvement.

cackhyena

I don't think the core combat is as fun as previous games.

Adding all of these new features and enemy types takes away from the purity of it, I think. It's just not as fun and 'free-flowing' for me. They'll throw 5 different types of enemies at you in a single fight, all of which have a unique way of being defeated. I just didn't feel like I was styling on people, it was "Ok, I need to do this to that guy, then I need to stun this guy and do the beatdown, then I need to jump over this guy". So mechanical.

That's how I felt with AC. This one doesn't feel any different to me so far. *shrug*

hbkdx12

I actually kind of like the Tank stuff, it's the driving of the Batmobile that I don't care for (and suspected I wouldn't early on). It controls like a hot dog in a butter-smothered skillet. It slides all over the damn place, there's no weight to it at all. The difference between a turn and power slide is imperceptible to me. It's just a chore. That first bit where you have to provide power to the tower and drive the Batmobile on the roof was just annoying.

Agreed. I have yet to actually use the handbrake/powerslide with any real purpose given it slides all over the place like no tomorrow.

I also don't really see a lot of justification in having afterburner in the streets of gotham being that there's hardly any straight aways. Combine that with the fact that the handling is slippery as all hell, i never use afterburner outside of riddler challenges

Acrylic7

I had purchased a 970 just a few weeks before the Batman promotion was offered and I asked customer service through an email and received the code :)

Just a heads up to everyone out there.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I beat the game?

Yeah, they really improved the boss fights. A vehicle combat section, a drive away and lure into trap section and a 'yeah I'm the boss but have fun with goons" was such a vast improvement.
I hadn't noticed the lack of boss fights until it was pointed out here.

Agreed. I have yet to actually use the handbrake/powerslide with any real purpose given it slides all over the place like no tomorrow.

I also don't really see a lot of justification in having afterburner in the streets of gotham being that there's hardly any straight aways. Combine that with the fact that the handling is slippery as all hell, i never use afterburner outside of riddler challenges

The afterburner is helpful for the first Riddler challenge. I'm not sure if any of his other challenges are time trial races, though.

I agree about Gotham in general, though. The afterburner isn't a lot of help there.

Alienous

That's how I felt with AC. This one doesn't feel any different to me so far. *shrug*

I think it's the fact that they can throw what feels like 15 guys at you at one time that makes it stick out to me more than Arkham City (I never did have that issue there).

nOoblet16

There's more and more interestingdetective stuff in this game than in City. Predator stuff picks up and there's plenty of big fist fights.
I am about to finish the game and I'm gonna have to disagree when you say predator mode picks up later, it doesn't. I can probably count the times I've had predator mode show up...in single digits.

Also I do not ignore Origins like most people do, and compared to that game the detective mode stuff here is very weak. The crime scene mode (first introduced in Origins) was only used once here(in a much smaller scale to boot) and there are a few of those CCTV stuff but I don't really consider them to be detective mode gameplay as they are so short.

You spend more time in Car in this game than doing anything else, so something had to give.

Lingitiz

How would most of you rate the game? Is it's 89 metacritic overly generous, or on the mark?

I think it's fair but yeah the complaints in here are valid. It's a pretty good game so far but I they don't really ease you into the mechanics and the pacing feels slightly off. The Batmobile takes some getting used to and it's a little overused.

I like it better than City so far though. That game always felt like a weird half-step towards open-world, and I thought the story was horribly paced.

How far along into the game are you? And in that time has there been a this sh*t is getting real moment?

I'm between three and four hours in, and I've completed several story missions. There have been some "wow, that was awesome" moments, but the game hasn't congealed as well as I'd hoped.

The Batmobile is cool in ways, but it's likely to blame. You use it a lot more than I'd expected, especially so early on.

I'll tag this just in case people don't want to know, but this isn't a spoiler (nothing story related) and it's relevant to you.
There's more of that than anything else in the game. You'll be tank battling more than you do anything else (combat, predator, chases).

da fuq? seriously?

cackhyena

I think it's the fact that they can throw what feels like 15 guys at you at one time that makes it stick out to me more than Arkham City (I never did have that issue there).

I can remember one spot where they did that in AC and it took me forever to get right. Well, right enough that I was satisfied. I can't recall exactly where, though. Been a while. It was at the same time frustrating and rewarding, though.

Tabby

How would most of you rate the game? Is it's 89 metacritic overly generous, or on the mark?
I'd probably give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Different strokes for different folks. Depends if you like the Batmobile and the lack of traditional challenge maps.

Lasty95

I'll tag this just in case people don't want to know, but this isn't a spoiler (nothing story related) and it's relevant to you.
There's more of that than anything else in the game. You'll be tank battling more than you do anything else (combat, predator, chases).

C'mon now, that's an exaggeration.

There's plenty of it, but not that much.

Once you get the handling down and the tank fully levelled up, it's actually really good fun.

The game is genius. End of.

Drayco21

Oh man, (mid-game easter egg spoiler)
There's a message for Bruce from Lex Luthor in the Wayne Tower answering machine. So good. Between this, and references to the one Joker lady being a member of the Queen Industries board, I'm really hoping we see more of the DC Universe in game form soon.

GavinUK86

I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure if anyone can answer without spoilers but you know the bit where you
play as Jim Gordon and you meet Batman and he has the people who are infected with Joker's blood. Is that a flashback? It ends with "present day". He mentions Robin is working on their blood and earlier in the mission Robin wants to help Batman and he tells him no because what he's working on is more important
. Am I understanding that right?

Dini wrote the whole thing. He's credited as the sole writer on the wiki page.

And it's nice that you picked out one generic piece of dialogue out of a 10-12 hour game, but that doesn't mean it was poorly written. If you think that's bad, wait until you hear the dialogue in AK, because so far, that's pretty much the standard of how Batman talks through the whole thing. I love how you said the setup is great, and hen go on to say the only interesting parts are "What's going on, what's going to happen, and why." like those aren't the top three ways to have people interested in where your plot is going.

I also don't know how you can say nothing consequential happens when the Titan formula finds it's way out of the Asylum, and multiple characters find their way out as well.

The only good part is the mystery of what's going to happen and why, "mystery" being the operative word. The promise and potential of interesting revelations (like the
warden himself being insane
) is what made the first playthrough enjoyable. The buildup doesn't pay off — everyone agrees the final boss sucks, thematically ("let's have a roided out fight!") and functionally, and it isn't until the sequel there's indication the Joker and the asylum don't just revert completely back to normal after the ending. Batman just flies off at the end. On its own, the game's story is inconsequential in that we don't learn anything more about any of the characters than what we already know. An example of that would be the Under the Red Hood animated movie where Batman admits he
wants to kill the Joker, but that he knows he would give in to killing if he did it. Even though the movie ends with the Joker still alive and Batman still going out and fighting crime — similar to Asylum — it explores a controversial aspect of the main character and it isn't just a completely straightfoward revelation.
Nothing remotely close to that comes to fruition in Asylum and the whole point of the aslyum takeover is relegated to a single line of dialogue from Joker made in passing. A completely flat conclusion.

And I don't doubt Knight's story has poorly written dialogue. At the very least, it has to follow through on the main villain's reveal, so there's something compelling there. Even if it's silly or it doesn't make sense, it'll have to be more climactic than what was done with Asylum.

Alienous

C'mon now, that's an exaggeration.

There's plenty of it, but not that much.

Once you get the handling down and the tank fully levelled up, it's actually really good fun.

The game is genius. End of.

I don't think it's an exaggeration at all. The way the gameplay breaks down
there is very little predator. There isn't much pursuit mode Batmobile use. Hand-to-hand combat and battle mode combat are the most frequent, but when you are doing a battle mode section they tend to take longer.

I'm not saying more than everything else combined, btw. Just of any of the modes of play I think you do that one most often.

Lingitiz

I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure if anyone can answer without spoilers but you know the bit where you
play as Jim Gordon and you meet Batman and he has the people who are infected with Joker's blood. Is that a flashback? It ends with "present day". He mentions Robin is working on their blood and earlier in the mission Robin wants to help Batman and he tells him no because what he's working on is more important
. Am I understanding that right?

Yeah it's a flashback. The suit is the giveaway.

I'm doing the Training Mission: Weapon Energy Diagnostics challenge and I've powered up my missile launcher, but it wont let me go further -- it wont let me target using Level 2.

I've restarted the challenge but I keep facing this issue. My launcher is charged. So whats wrong?

Omega

Banned
Wow I kinda expected more ... I guess I got used to playing Witcher 3 too much.

I think Witcher 3 is going to ruin game length for a lot of people.

I don't even think you can complete White Orchard in the amount of time it takes to beat most games, Arkham Knight included.

GeeTeeCee

Before the game launched I was getting sick of the focus they were placing on the Batmobile rather than the rest of the game. I'd decided that I would avoid using it wherever possible, because I loved Arkham City's gliding mechanics.

Turns out I actually quite like the Batmobile segments. It's not perfect, particularly during the first
Riddler challenge
where the loose controls got me in trouble a little too frequently.

I'm probably going to have to take the time to slow down a bit and explore the city more. It feels so packed with detail that it's kind of overwhelming. Love finding some of the DC universe easter eggs.

Vire

Thinking of not even opening the game (PS4)
and returning it. These impressions do not sound good at all. Looks like a lot of reviews were off the mark with this game?

I'm too busy actually enjoying the game to post on GAF. The unhappy people are usually the ones posting instead of playing.

Omega

Banned
I'm too busy actually enjoying the game to post on GAF. The unhappy people are usually the ones posting instead of playing.

1. Some of us beat the game. It's like 9 hours long
2. Why would someone unhappy still be playing? either they will have beaten it or just stopped playing

Has anyone figured out how to get the trophy for getting five perfect shots in a row with the Vulcan gun? I assume a perfect shot is one hitting a tank. I have no problem dodging anything coming my way, but I have no idea how to get perfect shots with the Vulcan gun.

Durden77

So far, about mid-way through, I'm really enjoying the story. Maybe I'm just dumb, but all of these "super predictable" things I've heard from reviews are not that apparent to me.

I still have pretty much no idea who the Arkham Knight is. I haven't played Asylum/City in so long, but hearing everyone say they give it away has got me confused. I've only got like one person in mind but it's not very fitting. I also think the
Joker
stuff is pretty damn brilliant in a lot of cases. They go a bit overboard with it sometimes, but it's super well done.

Also (mid-game but BIG spoilers),
Barbara shooting herself....damn. I thought that scene was really well done. Reminded me of the Darkness a lot, just hard to watch.

2. Why would someone unhappy still be playing? either they will have beaten it or just stopped playing

A quick question since you've beaten it, if you don't mind:

I just did the clocktower mission, and then lowered the bridge.
How far am I? Thirty percent?

Vire

I've played around 7 hours and I'm nowhere near finishing it, so I'm not sure how that's possibly unless you blaze through just the story missions one after the other without stopping to admire any of the beautiful environments and art design. (Ace Chemicals looked so great!)

For what it's worth I've had more fun in this than Witcher easily. The gameplay is significantly more responsive and has an incredible amount of depth between the combat/stealth/detective work/driving.

Has anyone figured out how to get the trophy for getting five perfect shots in a row with the Vulcan gun? I assume a perfect shot is one hitting a tank. I have no problem dodging anything coming my way, but I have no idea how to get perfect shots with the Vulcan gun.
From what I can tell, a perfect hit is when you hit a tank in its spotlight with a single Vulcan shot.
If you're just going full auto with the Vulcan, it will be a critical, not a perfect.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

For people having trouble getting into the story, a certain thing happens involving a certain person and from there the story is non-stop and picks up momentum.

Trust me on this. You'll know what I'm talking about once you get there.

I love the little touches.

CIPSvlFUMAAfE5i.jpg

Oh man, (mid-game easter egg spoiler)
There's a message for Bruce from Lex Luthor in the Wayne Tower answering machine. So good. Between this, and references to the one Joker lady being a member of the Queen Industries board, I'm really hoping we see more of the DC Universe in game form soon.

That was super cool, and did you notice
Ace's dog food bowl
in the same room? Sooo many nice little touches is what is making this game the best.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm enjoying it a lot.

I love how well the Batmobile is integrated into the game. I'm glad that it provides an alternative to the now well worn traversal methods from Arkham City, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of the seamless and smooth transitions in and out of the Batmobile. Fun as shit.

I think its implementation in story missions could be toned down just a touch, but I think those are two separate things. The Batmobile is a logical and well implemented addition to the game. It makes sense, it justifies its existence and it offers you options. Just maybe a little quality control wouldn't have gone a miss with the mission design built around it.

A few hours in and I definitely prefer the game to Arkham City. But Arkham Asylum remains my favourite and I can't see anything here changing that.

Sullichin

I just saw on reddit that there's no Challenge mode?
What's the point of the Robin skins etc I have? Just for the few times he will show up in the story?

My nephew is ranked on my friend's list for something called "Gotham's Finest", which I don't think I have unlocked and I assumed it's a challenge mode.

Top Bottom