• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Copenap

After 5 minutes of the GB Quick Lool I'm already sick and tired of the Batmobile :/

Guess I won't be getting this anytime soon.

slop101

Banned
Shows up after the opening sections.
So a bit after you play as the tank a few times - after Poison Ivy?
In over 35 years of playing videogames, I have never seen an option open up after you start playing. Why would they do that?

hbkdx12

So a bit after you play as the tank - after Poison Ivy?
In over 35 years of playing videogames, I have never seen an option open up after you start playing. Why would they do that?

yeah it's pretty dumb. It showed up for me after my first (minor spoiler)
riddler challenge

I've just returned
Poison Ivy to her cell
and I have don't have a sense of why. So far, I've had more time in the Batmobile than anything else. It's not that the controls are bad or anything, but that it just feels shoehorned into every corner.

When you arrive at
Police HQ
, you're forced to call for the car and drive down 3 seconds and then get out of it again.

WHYYYYY

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy fuck this game has the biggest jump scare I've had in YEARS.

Game's story turned crazy grim too all of a sudden, I love it. Way, way too much focus on the Batmobile though, good lord dial it down a bit.

hbkdx12

If I can, I avoid driving. I much more enjoy flying through the city. It's faster too.

I like ejecting out of it. It provides quite the speed boost not to mention it's badass.

One thing i wish they'd change/add is to make it so that when you call in the batmobile from the air that he would drop directly into the cockpit and you instantly take over driving.

Sober

By the way, if anyone thinks you can just "Hit X/A/LMB" through to the end of the game, well here's some end-game/post-game configurations (this one is a checkpoint in the first island at the end of the game). You totally cannot hit spam basic attacks here at all.

YEf1eOF.jpg
-2 regular brutes
-2 medics
-2 swords
-2 stun rods
-2 batons
-2 guns
-2 shields
-2 regular dudes

On hard expect to get killed fairly quickly. This is like some extreme combat challenge wave 4 (or 3 if RS is cruel) level shit.

SJRB

Gold Member
By the way, if anyone thinks you can just "Hit X/A/LMB" through to the end of the game, well here's some end-game/post-game configurations (this one is a checkpoint in the first island at the end of the game). You totally cannot hit spam basic attacks here at all.

-2 regular brutes
-2 medics
-2 swords
-2 stun rods
-2 batons
-2 guns
-2 shields
-2 regular dudes

On hard expect to get killed fairly quickly. This is like some extreme combat challenge wave 4 (or 3 if RS is cruel) level shit.

Game does a remarkably poor job explaining the archetypes though, which is kind of surprising considering how well done that is in previous Arkham titles.

shield

5fdm0ib.jpg

Huzzah! Managed to get all the stars in the AR challenges. The 9 stars in the Scarecrow Nightmare Missions count towards the 69 needed for the Absolution trophy, but I felt like going all the way.

bombshell

I just saw on reddit that there's no Challenge mode?
What's the point of the Robin skins etc I have? Just for the few times he will show up in the story?

My nephew is ranked on my friend's list for something called "Gotham's Finest", which I don't think I have unlocked and I assumed it's a challenge mode.

The Gotham's Finest leaderboard is just a sort of combined tally of all your challenge scores.

Vire

I'm enjoying it a lot.

I love how well the Batmobile is integrated into the game. I'm glad that it provides an alternative to the now well worn traversal methods from Arkham City, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of the seamless and smooth transitions in and out of the Batmobile. Fun as shit.

I think its implementation in story missions could be toned down just a touch, but I think those are two separate things. The Batmobile is a logical and well implemented addition to the game. It makes sense, it justifies its existence and it offers you options. Just maybe a little quality control wouldn't have gone a miss with the mission design built around it.

A few hours in and I definitely prefer the game to Arkham City. But Arkham Asylum remains my favourite and I can't see anything here changing that.

Yep, I agree completely.

I think this accomplishes the "Batman Fantasy" much better than City ever did. I wasn't a huge fan of City, especially coming off the heels of Asylum - so I'm pleasantly surprised I like this game so much.

There's a multitude of reasons why I don't like City over Knight:

The world structure feels like an amusement part rather than an actual place. Areas are riddled (pardon the pun) with awful green shit everywhere because they went way overboard with the glowing trophies. I think this really detracted from my immersion in the game. In Arkham Knight, the world feels like an actual city and much more natural instead of a glorified theme park. The density and amount of things happening around you also lends itself to the city feeling more lively. Soaring through the sky as you see the Gotham skyline (especially in Miagani Island!) and you'll see a police car chase beneath you, dozens of thugs running about and cars flipped over from riots.

The story in Arkham City is also extremely unfocused and constantly sidetracked by villains who aren't integral to the overall plot. Knight simplifies the story (at least at the outset) and gives you a clear and understandable object from the beginning that is centralized around one (or two) villains.Doctor Strange is simply a much less compelling villain than Scarecrow and the threat to the city in Arkham Knight feels much more immediate as a result. This is highlighted by the fact that the Knight isn't afraid to take off the kid gloves and lets it be known that people can and will die in this game.

Which brings me to gameplay... Arkham Knight is the ultimate Batman sandbox. It gives you the tools to literally play every facet of the "Batman experience" with an incredible amount of depth to each component. Some may scoff at the complicated controls and untutorialized nature of the game, but I appreciate how there are such a large amount of different types of gameplay to do on a moment to moment basis.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this game and I'm glad I'm having much more fun than City so far.

Neiteio

Some thoughts up through ACE Chemicals. Spoiler:
Batman is hallucinating about Joker.

The "Fear Multi-Takedowns" (or whatever they're called) are awesome. Breathe new life into the Predator encounters.

Also really digging the Batmobile. I didn't like it at first, but now that I've changed the controls so L2 brakes and R1 toggles Battle Mode, I'm having a blast. It also helps to know that tapping X twice and a direction will make the vehicle dodge in that direction during Battle Mode. I actually like the tank shootouts now!

I'm also surprised by the character of Arkham Knight. I thought his design looked like a clusterfuck when I first saw him in stills, but he looks really cool when you see him in motion, all lit-up and semi-transparent. Ton of attitude. Neat character.

How do you do the thing where you jump onto fleeing cars?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After 5 minutes of the GB Quick Lool I'm already sick and tired of the Batmobile :/

Guess I won't be getting this anytime soon.

Felt kind of similarly after watching. Context is everything though, and once I actually started playing the game myself, I was converted. The batmobile is used in some extremely clever scenarios that does give this game more of its own identity. Arguable that as I progress further my enjoyment may wane, but so far I have found myself quite enjoying its use. In many ways I am reminded of Lost Vikings, switching between Batman and the vehicle to clear past an obstacle or puzzle.

May feel differently once I start doing races and riddler challenges, but the core progression stuff is novel for the series.

Vire

Some thoughts up through ACE Chemicals. Spoiler:
Batman is hallucinating about Joker.

The "Fear Multi-Takedowns" (or whatever they're called) are awesome. Breathe new life into the Predator encounters.

Also really digging the Batmobile. I didn't like it at first, but now that I've changed the controls so L2 brakes and R1 toggles Battle Mode, I'm having a blast. It also helps to know that tapping X twice and a direction will make the vehicle dodge in that direction during Battle Mode. I actually like the tank shootouts now!

I'm also surprised by the character of Arkham Knight. I thought his design looked like a clusterfuck when I first saw him in stills, but he looks really cool when you see him in motion, all lit-up and semi-transparent. Ton of attitude. Neat character.

How do you do the thing where you jump onto fleeing cars?

You can get a nice closeup of the Arkham Knight if you die in a segment where he is the central character. The lights on his face mask really look awesome!

Not that I ever die...

I'm playing on hard. :(

Neiteio

You can get a nice closeup of the Arkham Knight if you die in a segment where he is the central character. The lights on his face mask really look awesome!

Not that I ever die...

I'm playing on hard. :(
I've been killed a few times and I'm playing on Normal. I'm no stranger to these games, either. I'm just a reckless Batman.

Oracle: "Looks like there are 20 armed men. You should sneak in from the —"

Batman: "YOLO!"

Bumhead

Banned
So what have you guys seen in the game so far to earn it's M rating?

The overall tone of the game is a lot darker than the previous games. Right from the off. I'll not go into specifics in case you're yet to play the game, but Arkham Knight isn't afraid to show you that people are being and will be hurt by Scarerow's plot.

In terms of the tone it's my favourite game in the series, but I'm a bit of a sucker for that oppressive miserable stuff. Scarecrow is brilliant.

Vire

The overall tone of the game is a lot darker than the previous games. Right from the off. I'll not go into specifics in case you're yet to play the game, but Arkham Knight isn't afraid to show you that people are being and will be hurt by Scarerow's plot.

In terms of the tone it's my favourite game in the series, but I'm a bit of a sucker for that oppressive miserable stuff. Scarecrow is brilliant.

I dunno who is voice acting Scarecrow, but he's fucking killing it... even when Kevin Conroy as Batman sounds half asleep.

Me too.

We're sick fucks, aren't we?

Man I want to turn off this ugly ass looking rain. Makes the game look like garbage.

Game looks quite nice, and is a blast to play! Graphics : I was expecting more tbh ( PS4 ) Face animations ( Jim, Oracle etc. ) look bad to me. Also agree with the rain. What's up with the framerate when driving? Quite a few framedrops.

Vire

Hard is extremely easy. They've given Batman so many options in combat: he's unstoppable.

I felt that way at the very beginning... I AM A BAT GOD, but as soon as they started throwing more enemy types at you it started to feel challenging again. (The yellow counter prompt enemies, electric taser enemies, shield enemies, gun enemies) It's a lot to handle sometimes!

Most of the answers to this are spoilers so I'll be as non-descript as possible.

Brutal shootings, crowds being blown up and shot and dying, torture, violent finishing moves, murder by hand.

People shooting themselves in the head. Dead bodies and what not as well.

Thanks for the answers. I'm a few hours into the game, and was just wondering if things got really Mature.

Bumhead

Banned
I dunno who is voice acting Scarecrow, but he's fucking killing it... even when Kevin Conroy as Batman sounds half asleep.

Yeah he's brilliant.

Scarecrow is just a great character. I feel like he's the most imminently dangerous across the series up to now, too. It's probably the overall tone of the game playing a part, but when Scarecrow says he's going to
level the entire East Coast in a toxic cloud out of Ace Chemicals
.. I absolutely believe he means it.

The game has done a good job so far of conveying just how much danger Gotham is in. Especially compared to City, which I feel played too fast and loose with the rogues gallery and lacked any sort of menace or threat as a result.

bombshell

I felt that way at the very beginning... I AM A BAT GOD, but as soon as they started throwing more enemy types at you it started to feel challenging again. (The yellow counter prompt enemies, electric taser enemies, shield enemies, gun enemies) It's a lot to handle sometimes!

I'm playing on hard too. I'm abusing the hell out of jumping over enemies with XX, because it's still as "OP" in keeping the combo going as in the other games.

I'm enjoying it a lot.

I love how well the Batmobile is integrated into the game. I'm glad that it provides an alternative to the now well worn traversal methods from Arkham City, and I don't think I'll ever get bored of the seamless and smooth transitions in and out of the Batmobile. Fun as shit.

I think its implementation in story missions could be toned down just a touch, but I think those are two separate things. The Batmobile is a logical and well implemented addition to the game. It makes sense, it justifies its existence and it offers you options. Just maybe a little quality control wouldn't have gone a miss with the mission design built around it.

A few hours in and I definitely prefer the game to Arkham City. But Arkham Asylum remains my favourite and I can't see anything here changing that.

'just a touch'/'just maybe a little quality control', eh? glad you're enjoying the game, but i think you're being just a little too kind :) ...

Alienous

John Noble really does well as Scarecrow.

I can count the amount of Batman lines I liked in Arkham Knight on one hand. Kevin Conroy doesn't do close to a good job.

Top Bottom