• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

zychi

Banned
Nothing happens in Aslyum's plot that's noteworthy. It's really the most straightforward insane asylum takeover story, doesn't explore any interesting themes and has such a cop out ending. It bypasses the actually interesting story bit (
the warden is insane
) by making it an optional discovery and doesn't tie it into the main game. Titan crap sucked, boss encounters were lame both gameplaywise and a bit lame thematically.

An interesting Arkham story is A Serious House on Serious Earth. I'd bet any other comic about Arkham would be more interesting plotwise by default considering they don't have interactivity as a main draw and being visually entertaining only goes so far.
The titan stuff has a big impact on this game tho.

Hystzen

Nothing happens in Aslyum's plot that's noteworthy. It's really the most straightforward insane asylum takeover story, doesn't explore any interesting themes and has such a cop out ending. It bypasses the actually interesting story bit (
the warden is insane
) by making it an optional discovery and doesn't tie it into the main game. Titan crap sucked, boss encounters were lame both gameplaywise and a bit lame thematically.

An interesting Arkham story is A Serious House on Serious Earth. I'd bet any other comic about Arkham would be more interesting plotwise by default considering they don't have interactivity as a main draw and being visually entertaining only goes so far.

It was a safe story it didn't try to hard or go to extreme I mean I get why. Batman games before AA had a bad reputation but each sequel has tried to hard be to clever for its own good and done a bad job of it.

sometimes a safe simple story works

So I haven't even taken a look at this game outside of quickly doing Harley's DLC yesterday and I assumed that combat and predator challenges were under AR challenges but I'm reading that they removed them? gutted.

2 hours or so after finishing the game and I feel like I enjoyed Asylum and City much more than this. This is on par with Origins for me.

That isn't true.

You get to use another character who plays very much like Batman, and you get to use Batman & Nightwing in a buddy map.

The way Arkham Knight handles challenges suck. I think I'm pretty much done with this game.

The game came out yesterday and you're already done with it?

Did you get your $60 worth?

slop101

Banned
I'll tag this just in case people don't want to know, but this isn't a spoiler (nothing story related) and it's relevant to you.
There's more of that than anything else in the game. You'll be tank battling more than you do anything else (combat, predator, chases).
Goddammit!

the warden is insane

Straightforward doesn't mean bad. It does a good job at character interaction, has great dialogue, and does a good job at introducing you to why the characters are in the asylum in the first place.

Yeah, it doesn't live up to one of the greatest Batman comics of all time, but it also is a very well fleshed out world and by far the best Batman story we've ever gotten in a video game. I'd argue the writing in Asylum is better then most video game writing period, because of how well Dini's dialogue sets up the world and makes you feel like you're actually in the asylum.

ced

I remember having some issues by the mid/end point of AC with the many controls, but I feel completely overwhelmed with remembering stuff 2 hrs into this one. Feels like a convoluted mess.

nOoblet16

Seriously sick of Batmobile (80% story progrssion spoiler)
just had that Drone fight at the church yard with overwhelming amount of drones and immediately after that I have cobra tanks who stick together and there's a new tank which I don't even know how to take down. Fuck cobra tanks.

Straightforward doesn't mean bad. It does a good job at character interaction, has great dialogue, and does a good job at introducing you to why the characters are in the asylum in the first place.

Yeah, it doesn't live up to one of the greatest Batman comics of all time, but it also is a very well fleshed out world and by far the best Batman story we've ever gotten in a video game. I'd argue the writing in Asylum is better then most video game writing period, because of how well Dini's dialogue sets up the world and makes you feel like you're actually in the asylum.

"I eat punks like these for breakfast."
- Batman

Dini :bow:

The setup for the game is great. However, the only interesting aspect of the actual plot is the mystery of what's going on, what's going to happen and why. The first time through is great because of that, but it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. All the outcomes are anticlimactic and uninteresting. It is overall straightfoward, and when it isn't, it's just disappointing or inconsequential.

Now the interview tapes and side content/lore in these games is all generally great. I wouldn't be surprised if that's mostly what Dini had control over based on the quality.

TVexperto

Can someone tell me how long it takes to get through the game / story? Is it longer than the order? Can I play through it in a week? I'm thinking about renting it instead of buying.

Alienous

The game came out yesterday and you're already done with it?

Did you get your $60 worth?

I paid £5 for it, I had some expiring reward points for which I could find no better use so I'm happy enough. I was looking forward to the challenge maps but they've been gutted from what the previous games offered. I thought the Harley Quinn mission would be cool, and it was, but it was barely 15 minutes long.

But yeah, 93% completion and not much else I want to do with it, so I don't know.

Certinty

I've played the game for about an hour these last two days and I don't really have the desire to play it, which is weird because I like the Batmobile. Even stranger because 2 days into Asylum, City and Origins and I had completed the main story.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Haven't posted much since I was binging on the game yesterday but I'm in love with this game. I usually hate vehicle segments but really enjoy both driving and tanking around in the Batmobile.

The gameplay variety and pacing is phenominal. You jump seamlessly between combat, traversal, driving, detective work, and blowing shit up in a tank so regularly that it always feels fresh since you're never doing anything for too long. The way the side missions unfold their objectives slowly over the course of the game helps with the usual open world issue of the main character seeming disinterested in a main line that has some sense of urgency.

nib95

Banned
Thinking of not even opening the game (PS4)
and returning it. These impressions do not sound good at all. Looks like a lot of reviews were off the mark with this game?

I've played the game for about an hour these last two days and I don't really have the desire to play it, which is weird because I like the Batmobile. Even stranger because 2 days into Asylum, City and Origins and I had completed the main story.

I'm finding that I'm not hooked like I was with the previous games. I'm not itching to play it.

VanWinkle

and returning it. These impressions do not sound good at all. Looks like a lot of reviews were off the mark with this game?

Seems to be really mixed here unfortunately. Unless the unhappy just post more than the happy.

orPWr2l.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to get up there? I don't have the Batmobile catapult upgrade yet and there's no grapnel gun point...

edit: Duh, I thought that was an upgrade I had to unlock... thanks!

BFIB

I haven't even touched it yet, but these impressions have me worried. :(

I'll still play it, but maybe I'll hold off starting this and finish Witcher 3.

Omega

Banned

All I can say is that it really doesn't feel like a Batman game. If there's anything you liked that previous games did, do not expect this game to build upon or improve it outside of combat and be prepared to spend half your game in the Batmobile.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm honestly really surprised with the impressions here from non-PC people. This game has its hooks in me. The first hour or so doesn't blend the Batmobile stuff well but after that it feels natural and cleverly blended with other types of gameplay.

nib95

Banned
Seems to be really mixed here unfortunately. Unless the unhappy just post more than the happy.

That would be a mistake. The game is fantastic.

I wonder if more of the complaints are from those playing the PC version? Trying to figure out if the stuttering and bugs etc in the PC version are making the perception of the general game worse, or if its game wide irrespective of these issues.

nOoblet16

The Batmobile assisted takedowns, that's just useless. If I am able to have Batmobile close enough to be used for combat assists then why wouldn't I just be inside the car and incapacitate everyone from there instead of fighting ? whenever you are in a combat for a mission you are unable to use it as it's all indoors or in locations the Batmobile can't get up to. An example of a skill that you never really use but yet exists in the skill tree.

orPWr2l.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to get up there? I don't have the Batmobile catapult upgrade yet and there's no grapnel gun point...
Eject and glide past it.

Alienous

If you can find a way to rent it I think that's the best decision.

It's worth experiencing but it really doesn't have any lasting appeal for me and I only completed it earlier today.

I don't know what it is but Asylum and City both left me feeling a lot more satisfied than Arkham Knight did, and I know it can't be a content thing (because Arkham Knight is far closer to having 'too much' than it is to having 'too little').

I really enjoyed the first couple of hours, though.

"I eat punks like these for breakfast."
- Batman

Dini :bow:

The setup for the game is great. However, the only interesting aspect of the actual plot is the mystery of what's going on, what's going to happen and why. The first time through is great because of that, but it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. All the outcomes are anticlimactic and uninteresting. It is overall straightfoward, and when it isn't, it's just disappointing or inconsequential.

Now the interview tapes and side content/lore in these games is all generally great. I wouldn't be surprised if that's mostly what Dini had control over based on the quality.
Dini wrote the whole thing. He's credited as the sole writer on the wiki page.

And it's nice that you picked out one generic piece of dialogue out of a 10-12 hour game, but that doesn't mean it was poorly written. If you think that's bad, wait until you hear the dialogue in AK, because so far, that's pretty much the standard of how Batman talks through the whole thing. I love how you said the setup is great, and hen go on to say the only interesting parts are "What's going on, what's going to happen, and why." like those aren't the top three ways to have people interested in where your plot is going.

I also don't know how you can say nothing consequential happens when the Titan formula finds it's way out of the Asylum, and multiple characters find their way out as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All I can say is that it really doesn't feel like a Batman game. If there's anything you liked that previous games did, do not expect this game to build upon or improve it outside of combat and be prepared to spend half your game in the Batmobile.
Wat

How far are you? The game cranks up lots of what I loved about the previous games as your go on. At about 60% completion right now.

Tabby

I haven't even touched it yet, but these impressions have me worried. :(

I'll still play it, but maybe I'll hold off starting this and finish Witcher 3.
Might as well finish Witcher first.

No challenge maps, terrible port, forced batmobile, shitty exclusive content and dlc practice have left me a very disappointed fan.
Even Origins was better than this mess.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm seriously disappointed. Might as well finish Witcher first.

No challenge maps, terrible port, forced batmobile, shitty exclusive content and dlc practice have left me a very disappointed fan.
Even Origins was better than this mess.
The challenge maps are sorted into the AR menu. They're still there.

highrider

Banned
Jebus, impressions are all over the place. I enjoyed asylum but was put off by city. Everything I've seen of this game looks really fun.

The initial impression that I have of the game after 30m of play before work this morning is this:

Arkham Knight feels a bit like moving from New York to Los Angeles given this new-fangled car. I feel inclined to spend more time in my car to get from place of interest to place of interest since any other means feels untenable.

I'd also go so far as to say that this game has the weakest open in the franchise where the call to action feels diminutive. It's just another night in the life of the Dark Knight but there's a tension that something bigger and nastier is coming. You just have to wait for it which I didn't anticipate.

All said, I'm not in a place where I have any definitive opinion about my experience. The pieces have yet to fall into place. I just hope that happens soon.

nOoblet16

Wat

How far are you? The game cranks up lots of what I loved about the previous games as your go on. At about 60% completion right now.
I don't see how, no boss fights, there's barely any predator mode or detective mode stuff...there isn't even enough fist fight. Cranks up what?

The initial impression that I have of the game after 30m of play before work this morning is this:

Arkham Knight feels a bit like moving from New York to Los Angeles given this new-fangled car. I feel inclined to spend more time in my car to get from place of interest to place of interest since any other means feels untenable.

I'd also go so far as to say that this game has the weakest open in the franchise where the call to action feels diminutive. It's just another night in the life of the Dark Knight but there's a tension that something bigger and nastier is coming. You just have to wait for it which I didn't anticipate.

All said, I'm not in a place where I have any definitive opinion about my experience. The pieces have yet to fall into place. I just hope that happens soon.

It starts off slowly. It's getting better for me, though I'm still waiting for it to come together.

Alienous

Im PS4 and I find it average, core combat is still fun but the plot and over use of Batmobile is terrible

I don't think the core combat is as fun as previous games.

Adding all of these new features and enemy types takes away from the purity of it, I think. It's just not as fun and 'free-flowing' for me. They'll throw 5 different types of enemies at you in a single fight, all of which have a unique way of being defeated. I just didn't feel like I was styling on people, it was "Ok, I need to do this to that guy, then I need to stun this guy and do the beatdown, then I need to jump over this guy". So mechanical.

ShutterMunster

I actually kind of like the Tank stuff, it's the driving of the Batmobile that I don't care for (and suspected I wouldn't early on). It controls like a hot dog in a butter-smothered skillet. It slides all over the damn place, there's no weight to it at all. The difference between a turn and power slide is imperceptible to me. It's just a chore. That first bit where you have to provide power to the tower and drive the Batmobile on the roof was just annoying.

I find the amount of Batmobile required activity off-putting, especially since the combat and gliding is better than it ever has been. I understand why the Batmobile is in the game, but they didn't seem to get the balance of it right at all. I'm having fun with the story too. it's super comic book.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't see how, no boss fights, there's barely any predator mode or detective mode stuff...there isn't even enough fist fight. Cranks up what?
There's more and more interestingdetective stuff in this game than in City. Predator stuff picks up and there's plenty of big fist fights.

I don't think the core combat is as fun as previous games.

Adding all of these new features and enemy types takes away from the purity of it, I think. It's just not as fun and flowing for me. They'll throw 5 different types of enemies at you in a single fight, all of which have a unique way of being defeated. I just didn't feel like I was styling on people, it was "Ok, I need to do this to that guy, then I need to stun this guy and do the beatdown, then I need to jump over this guy". So mechanical.
This was my main complaint with City but I thought that the new gadget uses and moves helped improve the flow and ease of dealing with different enemy types.

I actually kind of like the Tank stuff, it's the driving of the Batmobile that I don't care for (and suspected I wouldn't early on). It controls like a hot dog in a butter-smothered skillet. It slides all over the damn place, there's no weight to it at all. The difference between a turn and power slide is imperceptible to me. It's just a chore. That first bit where you have to provide power to the tower and drive the Batmobile on the roof was just annoying.

I find the amount of Batmobile required activity off-putting, especially since the combat and gliding is better than it ever has been. I understand why the Batmobile is in the game, but they didn't seem to get the balance of it right at all. I'm having fun with the story too. it's super comic book.
For stuff like that segment on the roof, use tank mode.

I HIGHLY recommend switching the Batmobile mode stuff to toggle. Controls much better that way.

Top Bottom