• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

nOoblet16

Yeah, that's exactly what I was complaining about earlier. I like the racing parts but the tank parts are really boring. I mean who thought (80% spoiler IIRC)
the Cloudflare battle
was a good idea.

It's annoying because there are no boss fights, barely any predator mode (and encounter is all badly designed in terms of environment), little to no detective mode stuff, that evidence building mechanic from Origin has only been used once so far (At that 80% point). In fact even fistfights are not that abundant. There's too much of forced Batmobile in the game, This is why I don't even use the Batmobile outside of when it's forced upon me (which is like every other mission), because why would I want even more of that ?

Couple all of that with Arkham Knight who is all talk, and continues to talk despite his tactics failing everytime. Infact I know who it is, it's so stupidly obvious !! Even the reveal will be quite shit too.

I honestly had more fun playing Origins because of boss fights.

bombshell

I think I am missing something. Isn't there a move that you can pick up a person from the ground then throw them? I know there is a Challenge map locked behind it. I am 40ish percent through the game and just feel something I am missing it.

R2+O (on PS4).

Edit: Sorry R, not L ;P

I think I am missing something. Isn't there a move that you can pick up a person from the ground then throw them? I know there is a Challenge map locked behind it. I am 40ish percent through the game and just feel something I am missing it.

Its R2+O

The problem Im having is that sometimes he powerbombs them into the concrete and others he picks them up for a stun beatdown.....not sure what triggers one or the other, possibly enemy health? Anybody else wanna chime in on this?

Speaking of predator design, have I missed some upgrades or is there much less takedown variety this time? It feels like all the cool takedowns are gone.
(haven't touched the challenges yet)

IMACOMPUTA

Actually was able to play a little last night on pc.

Pleasantly surprised by the environmental destruction while in the batmobile. Crashed into some walls of brick buildings and they crumbled, causing a hole in the side.

Is this an Nvidia exclusive feature? Or do the consoles have the same level of destruction?

Anyone know?

Bullshit.

If you drive fast in an area of the city dense with buildings the framerate plummets.

I normally quickly catch on frame rate dips in games, but I haven't experienced what you've gone through. However I did face screen tearing for a flash of a second during first time behind the wheels.

dealer-

Really impressed with the lack of hand holding and not having a map full of icons. You actually have to engage your brain for a few seconds, which is rare in modern games.

Alienous

Um I'm not having that problem.

If you told me you could complete a chase on Founder's Island without any slowdown I don't think I could believe you.

The framerate drops dramatically, especially later in the game where the game will have multiple vehicles involved in a chase.

Naar

I reached the part where i have to follow a truck with a buddy of mine into a hideout

The problem is i died on my way there and when the game respawned me the main mission indicator doesnt show the mission anymore :(

I even forgot which part of the citiy im supposed to be in to even look for the van or hideout

Can someone help?

I tried to be as spoiler free as possible

Anyone can help? I found this walkthrough, which is exactly where i am at

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-23-batman-arkham-knight-walkthrough-and-guide-4012?page=17

But since i died, the van wont pop up for me anymore :(

So either i try going to the place where the van was or the hideout and hope i trigger a cutscene

Only thing is i dont know where either of those 2 locations are on the map :(

No, nothing graphics related. Just the flow of the game is weird to me, I got faster into Arkham City but I'm not there with this game yet.
The previous two Rocksteady Batman games had Paul Dini (One of the best Batman writers of all time) on the writing staff. You can definitely tell he didn't have a hand in writing this one.

Holy shit, now I understand why Gordon sounds so excellent.
mikes5v5se2.jpg

They really didn't hold back, did they.

The previous two Rocksteady Batman games had Paul Dini (One of the best Batman writers of all time) on the writing staff. You can definitely tell he didn't have a hand in writing this one.

People really don't think the story of AK is better than AC? I'm 60% done and it seems more focused so far. Not as good as Asylum but I don't get all the shit it's catching.

zychi

Banned

rrc1594

I really like this game, but I enjoyed Origins so much more. Not because I think the Game is better, but the story in Origins is so much better.

bryanee

I love Dini but his work on the past two games was pretty damn average.

Neff

Woah, what? Do you get the item later in a cutscene or something? Because I interacted with everything in that room and never got an item...

Smash the glass on Batman's evidence locker and you can get the electric gun. If you don't, Alfred will recommend you go steal it towards the end of the game so you can progress.

Kinthalis

Banned
Holy shit, now I understand why Gordon sounds so excellent.

They really didn't hold back, did they.

Are you kidding me?

His performance is TERRIBLE in this game. I can't be the only one who thinks that, can I?

I love the actor, and many of his roles, but in the game he sounds like he's phoning it in. It's terrible.

Asylum and City's stories sucked bigtime. If Knight's story is unlike those, then good.

Dini must have really had his hands tied, because ugh. His work elsewhere outside video games has been fantastic.

I love Dini but his work on the past two games was pretty damn average.
Average Dini Batman is better then most other Batman.
People really don't think the story of AK is better than AC? I'm 60% done and it seems more focused so far. Not as good as Asylum but I don't get all the shit it's catching.
The dialogue is very boring. The story has been fine though. It's been keeping me pretty interested. The game would have been better overall if
it didn't have The Joker. I'm just about to go to North Refrigeration (Don't know how far into the story that is) and I'm already tired of him popping up around every corner. He hasn't added anything to the game and it feels like they added him just because they thought that a Batman game HAS to have the Joker.
Yes game, I know that I need to recharge my ability to do fear takedowns by performing silent takedowns. I'm halfway through the game, and it's still telling me that after every use of it, and than keeping it on screen until I do it. Like this is insane. I'm not an idiot. Stop treating me like one.
It quite clearly gave you the option to turn that off at the beginning, and told you that you can turn them off at any time in one of the menus.

zychi

Banned
I really like this game, but I enjoyed Origins so much more. Not because I think the Game is better, but the story in Origins is so much better.

I felt the same way until about 70% through the main story. Then I loved it. I love the new twist on
(character spoiler that only matters if you aren't 5 minutes into the game)
the Joker

and the mission with him where you
go first person shooter mode

Just fantastic all around. It's a shame so many people are complaining about the PC version and the lack of AO. Game looked great on my pc and I had no stutter besides the very first cutscene. Really enjoyed it. It's my current GOTY

I'm about 6 hours in and I love the game. Nothing has captured the feeling of being the Batman as well as this game. I'm enjoying the story as well (possibly because I'm ploughing through it only right now) and look forward to playing more, Batmobile and all.

I'm also a lifelong fan of Batman, so there's my bias. Can't wait for work to get over so I can put the cowl on!

Rocksteady delivered on many levels with Arkham Knight and the feeling of BeTheBatman is certainly one of it

Kinthalis

Banned
Asylum and City's stories sucked bigtime. If Knight's story is unlike those, then good.

Dini must have really had his hands tied, because ugh. His work elsewhere outside video games has been fantastic.

Asylum's story was excellent. The most grounded and interesting of the three games. City... well ok.

Zero148

up to which point are you able to play with the first 16 GB installed, but the full game still downloading? I'm not able to progress further atm and I don't know if it is me or the game.

edit:

It was me

I was too tired to play last night, after being all excited about its arrival, but I did start pretty early this morning.

I've
lowered the bridges after doing the clocktower
. I'm not sure of how far I am.

I'm kind of torn right now, though I loved Asylum and City. Asylum is my favourite.

Batman: AK has been good so far, but it feels too scatterbrained for lack of a better term. I like using the Batmobile from time to time, but the way it's shoehorned into things does feel overbearing. It feels less focused because of the vehicle.

So far, the missions haven't been spectacular, but they've been good. The vehicular parts of story missions (non-combat puzzle parts, I mean) feel unnecessary, but I do like blowing shit away with the vehicle.

There's some really great stuff here, though.

Did not know Riddler thugs can break out of your interrogation and attemp to attack you rather than give up the info.

Yeah I was pretty surprised by that. Especially since I never pay attention once it starts haha

Also, be a dude and add some context to a spoiler post. Literally no one will know what you are talking about if they don't want to click spoiler tags.

Are you kidding me?

His performance is TERRIBLE in this game. I can't be the only one who thinks that, can I?

I love the actor, and many of his roles, but in the game he sounds like he's phoning it in. It's terrible.

Maybe it's just me recognizing the voice but whatever, I like it.

Except for the roided out Joker I thought the story in Asylum was fantastic. City less so, but he also had other hands in the pot for that one (Those hands are the ones that are writing AK, so if you thought City's story sucked, I don't think AK is going to wow you).

Gosh can't wait to get home and play this. This has been my most hyped game since Arkham City came out, no joke. Opinions are pretty divisive on this one, so I'm itching to find out for myself...

Drayco21

Having fun with the story stuff, but it's a bummer there's no challenge rooms at all; was really wanting to play as Red Hood and Nightwing in a big, classic challenge room.

Also, these Scarecrow Racing missions kinda suck. If these and the two pre-order stories are the kind of quality we can expect from the DLC, that season pass doesn't seem very appealing.

Nvidia has been very quiet in this disastrous PC launch:
- No formal comment on the issues or their cooperation with WB/RS to fix any of the various glaring issues
- No Andy in the forums here on Neogaf (he tends to show up in these PC performance threads)
- No tweak guide to be found on geforce.com (common on their "meant to be played games" at launch)
- No PC version sent out to reviewers for launch ("PC gamer" finally go their copy a day after the game was already out!)
- No HBAO+ or TXAA support in the game (which are very common in Nvidia "Gameworks" titles (in fact their is no ambient occlusion whatsoever for the time being)

This is not a coincidence... :/

slop101

Banned
I'm early on, but I am NOT digging the tank stuff. The overuse of the Batmobile is a little annoying, but fine. The tank stuff is just dull and boring, and it just doesn't fit. It seriously keep me from wanting to play.

Alienous

I'm early on, but I am NOT digging the tank stuff. The overuse of the Batmobile is a little annoying, but fine. The tank stuff is just dull and boring, and it just doesn't fit. It seriously keep me from wanting to play.

I'll tag this just in case people don't want to know, but this isn't a spoiler (nothing story related) and it's relevant to you.
There's more of that than anything else in the game. You'll be tank battling more than you do anything else (combat, predator, chases).

Tsukumo

And I'm saying there's little challenge in the tank sections and by the time you're through, it's a snorefest.
Honestly, they don't require much skill, there's three-four attacks and everything is phoned in so it's pretty barebones.
Have you actually done the story? It got really old for me towards 70-80% and I'd have been more generous with them before.

I see.
I guess it's confusing for me to see such divisive opinions on the story and the tank action, cause to me they are both spotless. It's really weird.

Just an observation, mostly. Encounter progress is gated pretty straightforward for the most part, there's actually very few the game throws at you than doesn't get an introduction tutorial or whatnot - except all the stuff you were supposed to know from AC.

I made it through with very little sidequest progress on hard, mostly spent points on the Batmobile for HP, same with the batsuit. I don't think I had more than a dozen upgrade points spent across the other categories. You start with all the moves for combat/predator to get you through to the end (except crit hits, but it's cheap to pick up).

Most points went to Batmobile HP and weapons cause the game loves throwing dozens of drones at you at a time.

Pretty much what I'm doing. Favourite new combat move?

VanWinkle

Anybody who hasn't played any of the batman games until this one have any opinions on this yet? I haven't played any but I'm really excited to get home and play AK.

Except for the roided out Joker I thought the story in Asylum was fantastic. City less so, but he also had other hands in the pot for that one (Those hands are the ones that are writing AK, so if you thought City's story sucked, I don't think AK is going to wow you).

Nothing happens in Aslyum's plot that's noteworthy. It's really the most straightforward insane asylum takeover story, doesn't explore any interesting themes and has such a cop out ending. It bypasses the actually interesting story bit (
the warden is insane
) by making it an optional discovery and doesn't tie it into the main game. Titan crap sucked, boss encounters were lame both gameplaywise and a bit lame thematically.

An interesting Arkham story is A Serious House on Serious Earth. I'd bet any other comic about Arkham would be more interesting plotwise by default considering they don't have interactivity as a main draw and being visually entertaining only goes so far.

Top Bottom