• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
im only a couple hours in so it's early but i'm kind of disappointed so far. im a big fan of the series but its just kind of boring to me. maybe it's because i had just played witcher 3, an incredible open world that feels like there are many different things to do and ways to approach things. in batman, it's "open world" but feels canned to me. lots of hand holding and it seems like there is one way to do this and no other way.
I'm glad they both exist.

The open world is used for very different purposes. In The Witcher 3 I've found that it's open world is basically meaningless - it's just empty space that forces the player to engage in boring traversal between dialog scenes or combat sequences. Moving across the world just isn't fun. It's poorly animated and there is no challenge or gameplay element there. You just push the analog stick (or hold "W") in the direction you want to go while only occasionally stopping to fight an enemy or start a dialog sequence. It feels like wasted space to me and it has kept me from enjoying the game as much as The Witcher 2. How does it allow you to approach things in different ways exactly?

Batman's open world isn't designed to be an NPC quest dispenser - it's a playground which is organically connected to each main stage. Driving or flying through the city is, in itself, an enjoyable action. It's fun to navigate the city. The city is also integrated into the main missions rather well. The game is full of variety and constantly shifts things up in a lot of very creative ways.

With The Witcher 3 you're either triggering a dialog sequence or engaging in combat. The open world is a barrier to the content (at least for me).

It's not just The Withcer 3 either - I have this same issue with most open world games these days. Games which just place a bunch of NPC mission dispensers around the map while lacking anything in the form of interesting traversal. You're just crossing empty space on the way to the next cutscene or combat section. The worlds often feel meaningless - big for the sake of being big.

I'm silly and wound up spoiling the game for me as I was googling around on TV Tropes.

I was actually not surprised by anything I read. It was stuff I'd predicted anyway.

Having fun with the game though!

Durden77

Dammit...I think I might've just spoiled myself on who the Arkham Knight is. I legit could not figure it out, but after a scene around 3 quarters of the way through, I googled the character who the scene focuses on like an idiot and the first the first headline that popped up said ARKHAM KNIGHT SPOILERS!!

I closed out immediately so I could be wrong...but yeah. I can definitely see it being him. And if it is that's pretty cool I think.

JonnyKong

The long loading times after each death is really killing me.

Up to 80% in the story now. I seem to be liking it less as I go on because the missions are getting a tad repetitive and tedious now. Luckily the variation in the side stuff is keeping my interest going, although the only ones I have of those I have left are just the bog standard go somewhere and beat up a bunch of dudes ones.

MY MIND IS FUCKED. I can't tell if this is a glitch or not but this should be near the end of the game. I'm super tired so I'm gonna finish off the game tomorrow.

Spoilers ahead

After finding out Barbara alive and taking her to the GCPD, I don't see her render in any cutscene in the GCPD - like Batman is just holding an invisible chick and putting his hand on air when he puts a hand on her supposed shoulder. I can srsly can't tell if this is a glitch or he's having another acid trip.

Xemnas89

I've finished 89% of the story and honestly I love this game. The story has been pretty predictable and certain things too on the nose but I've still enjoyed it. I even enjoy everything involving the batmobile including the cobra stuff. I've stopped playing so I'll have a bit more of the story to play through tomorrow and then I'll be on my quest to complete as much of the game as I can.

MY MIND IS FUCKED. I can't tell if this is a glitch or not but this should be near the end of the game. I'm super tired so I'm gonna finish off the game tomorrow.

Spoilers ahead

After finding out Barbara alive and taking her to the GCPD, I don't see her render in any cutscene in the GCPD - like Batman is just holding an invisible chick and putting his hand on air when he puts a hand on her supposed shoulder. I can srsly can't tell if this is a glitch or he's having another acid trip.

That would be a glitch

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Question regarding one of the Most Wanted quests involving
Firefly
. What the hell am I supposed to do once
Firefly pops out of the burning building? Suddenly I'm tethered to him and the Batmobile is just being flung all over town, smashing into buildings as I struggle to figure out how to stay on the road and whatever I'm supposed to be doing while Firefly is jetting around half a mile off in the distance. I'm baffled.

Firefly
Firefly pops out of the burning building? Suddenly I'm tethered to him and the Batmobile is just being flung all over town, smashing into buildings as I struggle to figure out how to stay on the road and whatever I'm supposed to be doing while Firefly is jetting around half a mile off in the distance. I'm baffled.

You're supposed to drive fast enough to catch him, launch out of the Batmobile and beat him up.

TBH the Car stuff is not as bad as reviews made it seem. None of the parts drag to me
There's just too much of it. Some of the encounters late in the game are long with 5x's the amount of enemies that are around early in the game. The combat also never really evolves unless you dedicated all your skill points to that tree. Easily the low point of the game and it really halts the momentum of the narrative of the main story over the last third IMO.

Firefly

You'll see a bar on the right hand side of the screen.
That's his jet fuel or whatever. Chase him until the bar runs out, boost behind him, and follow the prompt when you're close enough.

I'm glad they both exist.

The open world is used for very different purposes. In The Witcher 3 I've found that it's open world is basically meaningless - it's just empty space that forces the player to engage in boring traversal between dialog scenes or combat sequences. Moving across the world just isn't fun. It's poorly animated and there is no challenge or gameplay element there. You just push the analog stick (or hold "W") in the direction you want to go while only occasionally stopping to fight an enemy or start a dialog sequence. It feels like wasted space to me and it has kept me from enjoying the game as much as The Witcher 2. How does it allow you to approach things in different ways exactly?

Batman's open world isn't designed to be an NPC quest dispenser - it's a playground which is organically connected to each main stage. Driving or flying through the city is, in itself, an enjoyable action. It's fun to navigate the city. The city is also integrated into the main missions rather well. The game is full of variety and constantly shifts things up in a lot of very creative ways.

With The Witcher 3 you're either triggering a dialog sequence or engaging in combat. The open world is a barrier to the content (at least for me).

It's not just The Withcer 3 either - I have this same issue with most open world games these days. Games which just place a bunch of NPC mission dispensers around the map while lacking anything in the form of interesting traversal. You're just crossing empty space on the way to the next cutscene or combat section. The worlds often feel meaningless - big for the sake of being big.

yeah but you aren't forced to travel in the witcher 3. you can fast travel wherever. also don't agree that it is an "empty" open world. i have run around randomly and found tons of interesting things. from hidden loot to NPC's that open up new side quests (that have most of the time been pretty interesting). i honestly have yet to find a side mission in the witcher that was absolute trash. some are better than others but i've found them all interesting.

this thread isn't really for the comparison between the two because they are aiming for different things. maybe it's just batman fatigue for me whereas i played very little of witcher 1/2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Am I the only one who thinks the city seems really small? It's just those three islands on the map, right? Nothing more opens up? Didn't they say the playable area in this was around 5x that of Arkham City? I know that game's world wasn't exactly huge, but was it really that tiny? Or are they including interiors in that number, and there are more of those...?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
How did you guys end up downloading the Harley Quinn DLC on PS4? When I did the digital pre-order months ago, it put all the available DLC stuff in a queue, which I set to auto download, but even from day 0, the Harley stuff would always fail and I'd get a message about it every time I turned my PS4 on for like 3 months straight. Even now with the game out, it hasn't downloaded and I don't even see it in the PSN store as a separate thing to download. What the hell did I do wrong? Also, the Flashpoint Batman skin says it downloaded and installed, yet I don't see it in my available Batsuits. I see Adam West, Batman 3000 (or whatever), Anime Batman, New 52 Batman, 2 Robins, and 2 Nightwings.

The biggest problem i have with the batmobile is that the framerate gets worse and the game (ps4) starts to tear. It just doesnt feel good to drive with such a framerate.

On foot or flying the framerate is pretty good, it can tear here and there but its okay, but during driving the tearing gets wild!

foxtrot3d

Banned
Just reached the end

do I seriously have to do all the riddler shit to 'active knightfall protocol'

I just finished the game as well.

Sorta, if you want the "full" Kinghtfall ending cutscene you need to 100% the game. But, it's like 30 extra seconds that you can just look up on Google. Also, once you "beat" the game i.e. activate the protocol once the ending cutscene is finished playing it will send you back into the game if you haven't done everything at which point you can activate "Knightfall" again. Anywho, the ending was fine except for the ambiguity concerning Bruce. Everyone and their mama knows that he's alive so I would have liked to see them give him some closure. This is why I love the ending of TDKR so much, it closes Bruce Wayne's story. This ending just leaves us with questions.

Am I the only one who thinks the city seems really small? It's just those three islands on the map, right? Nothing more opens up? Didn't they say the playable area in this was around 5x that of Arkham City? I know that game's world wasn't exactly huge, but was it really that tiny? Or are they including interiors in that number, and there are more of those...?

You kidding me? It's too big for my taste, Arkham City was the perfect size. Bigger does not equal better. I'll take a smaller, denser world than a massive, thin world.

Neff

Spoilers ahead

Lol, the exact same thing happened to me. I thought Batman was going on another super head-fuck trip. It's obvious it's a glitch though, based on what else is happening during and after that scene.

SomTervo

I obviously do seeing as I completed both Asylum and City, and I haven't died once in this game either.

I'm curious as to how you'll handle the fights with the big heavy guys. Countering them does little/no damage, and you need to beat them down to KO them. Although you can do 2-3 takedowns to finish them as well, so I suppose if you're just spamming punch, dodge and takedown then that's you.

Also, you say in a later post that you're playing on Normal. but if you dislike the combat because it's too easy and one-dimensional, why don't you put it on Hard? Hard mode definitely forces you to engage more with the mechanics and use more of the tools/moves at your disposal.

loooool @ how criminals gather around the Batmobile if you leave it in the street for a while allowing you to "Activate Countermeasures" and shock all of them.

And WOW at the seamless weird stuff that happens as you progress. This is some A+++ level presentation.

komplanen

I'm at 100% main story. Some thoughts about story and gameplay (story stuff in spoilers):

- Assisting Batmobile over gates and obstacles is piss poor gameplay
- In general Batmobile combat and driving gets better the more used to the controls you get
- I feel like some of the gadgets could have been merged into one gadget (
Hacker, voice modulator, electricity gun
)

- Story:
Joker sort of actually not being dead and "living on" was a cop out
- Story:
Arkham Knight being who he was is just another cop out
- Story:
Oracle not being dead is a cop out
- Story:
Gordon not being really that mad at Batman is a cop out
- Story:
Batmobile actually not being destroyed was a cop out
- Story:
Arkham Knight not even being a fucking bad guy in the end was a cop out

My review: 3/5, good gameplay, sub-par story, great graphics.

loooool @ how criminals gather around the Batmobile if you leave it in the street for a while allowing you to "Activate Countermeasures" and shock all of them.

And WOW at the seamless weird stuff that happens as you progress. This is some A+++ level presentation.

Arkham Knight's presentation is experimental as fuck. By far the game's defining aspect to me.

SomTervo

So.

Last night I played for 3 to 4 hours solid. I have the game at about 55% complete. I'm 80% done with the story missions. A lot of the side missions are not complete.

Over that 3-4 hour advanced-game session, I probably used the Batmobile for 15 minutes. Maybe 20 at a stretch.

The time I DID spend in the Batmobile I did so utterly willingly, chasing down and blowing up APCs in the street. It was insane, giddy fast, fun. The last hour was spent doing the
Film Studio
story mission against
Harley Quinn
's gang, and only at the end of that was I forced to spend 2-3 minutes in the Batmobile.

I spent several hours doing checkpoints, solving murders, destroying camera-outposts, doing the Wayne Tower quest, blowing up drones, saving firemen. Just generally being a badass. All on-foot.

TL;DR: Far as I can tell, people who complain that there's too much Batmobile are just mainlining the story missions. Outside of the story missions, which must be 20-30% of the game's content, you're not tied to the Batmobile much at all. And in the story missions it makes sense because you're going head-to-head with Knight's army, so you need all the firepower you can get.

Chromatic Aberration? It makes the image a bit too fuzzy for my liking (from screenshots).

I've noticed CA popping on an off in this game. There are occasional moments where it's horrible. There are also occasional moments where it works because it gives the image a surreal/disturbing look that actually fits with the thematically dark onscreen events.

Bullshit.

If you drive fast in an area of the city dense with buildings the framerate plummets.

I don't have this either, on PS4.

Though I'm interested in trying the race you mentioned to see how it holds up.

I don't like how they handle
Jason

I liked how they handled it – but it was ridiculous that there's no mention of it in the previous games. If they had done this in Asylum or City it would have been a much more intelligent build-up.

I'm not sure about the final-strike cam, but I'm talking about when you press left trigger and triangle to pull an enemy towards you mid-combat.

Yeah I noticed final-strike cam can't rotate last night. Maybe it can only happen with the grapnel clothesline strike.

I had no idea this happens. Incredible. Yep, a lot of the seamless, in-world,
Batman losing his mind
stuff is ingenious.

Sojgat

I think this is a really good game, but the more I play of it, the more some things about it really bug me.

I think the main problem is all the control and interface changes Rocksteady have made. At first I thought I didn't like what Arkham Knight does differently just because I was used to how the previous games did things, but now it's become obvious some of the changes have simply been for the worse.

Batman can no longer walk towards the Camera - It's a little thing, but it's reducing my enjoyment of the experience in much the same way that no weapon holstering in Mass Effect 3 did. I can't view the environment in the way the previous games allowed, and Batman moves in a way I'm constantly not expecting him to.

Gadget selection wheel is imprecise and cumbersome - This is the thing that's really bugging me. Just tapping a direction on the d-pad was so much faster and easier. Now you have bring up a radial selection menu which pauses time, and clumsily select the required gadget by rotating the stick. It just feels like there's a barrier in the way of something that was instantaneous before. It's also inconsistent on whether you have to hold down to bring it up or just press down.

Double takedowns replaced by fear takedowns - This looks cool, but is far less useful in many predator situations than the double takedowns of the previous games. Batman's new suit is meant to be more powerful, but in this area it feels like a downgrade. I believe the idea was to make stealth gameplay in Arkham Knight more "aggressive" , but fueling fear takedowns with silent takedowns is pulled straight from the Splinter Cell: Conviction school of stealth design, and it's just rubbish.

Can't slide into vent covers to open them anymore - This is just lame.

So yeah, some of these criticisms might seem pedantic, but again, I'm not saying the game is bad, just that this stuff is hindering my enjoyment of playing it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Arkham Knight's presentation is experimental as fuck. By far the game's defining aspect to me.

That scene in the when you (post-ACE spoilers)
go to the clocktower and first see the memory of Barb getting shot in her apartment (I was like "where am I?!"), then the message on the wall, and then when you turn back the entire thing has seemlessly changed back to the clocktower
. So trippy, and extremely well done. I was like "WTF just happened!".

Just finished the main story, gameplay is stellar as always, graphics are really good and performance is excellent on PS4. Story was a mess though.

Too many moments were way too predictable. When they show the scenes of Joker torturing the old Robin, as soon as the second one began I though "Well, I guess this guy is the Arkham Knight since this would be completely pointless otherwise. Guess there's going to be a scene where he comes to his senses, forgives Batman, and saves his life just when things look completely hopeless."

I like listening to Polygon's review podcast Quality Control, and in the episode on AK the reviewer talked about how they were surprised at some of the plot twists and said that they went all out since this is the last game in the series. He implied that there were some permanent character deaths, so Barbara dying was a huge holy shit moment for me. And then learning she was alive was disappointing. "Don't worry, Barbara's alive! And this crazy seemingly insurmountable situation you're in? It's cool, there's a backup Batmobile!"

And the ending. Definitely felt like they prioritized the spectacle over all else. And that's fine, it was a hell of a spectacle, but what the fuck happened? There were hallucinations within hallucinations, parts were seemingly not in chronological order, I have no clue what the hell happened. Other than that Batman heroically fought off the Joker virus thing through willpower alone, which again felt like a pretty lame copout.

Anyway, I could rant for awhile but the truth is I don't play these games for the story, in fact the only other Batman stuff I've ever seen in the Dark Knight and the first Frank Miller comic book. I knew going in the story was going to be nonsense, but as a game it's still incredible.

You sure about that one? It's not really something that gets used often but I could swear I did it at least once during my playthrough.

Edit: Near ending spoilers
Would it be too big a spoiler to name the next OT " |OT2| Press X to pay respects"? Laughed when I got to that part, I wonder if they rethought it at all after the backlash over the CoD scene.

Also, did anyone else get the death scene I'm assuming is an MGS reference where Joker goes "Bats? Bats?! BAAAAAATS!!" Some funny little touches, a few of the random thug dialogues made me laugh too.

SomTervo

I think this is a really good game, but the more I play of it, the more some things about it really bug me.

I think the main problem is all the control and interface changes Rocksteady have made. At first I thought I didn't like what Arkham Knight does differently just because I was used to how the previous games did things, but now it's become obvious some of the changes have simply been for the worse.

Batman can no longer walk towards the Camera

Gadget selection wheel is imprecise and cumbersome

Double takedowns replaced by fear takedowns

So yeah, some of these criticisms might seem pedantic, but again, I'm not saying the game is bad, just that this stuff is hindering my enjoyment of playing it.

Yeah, these are nitpicks, but I agree with them.

The gadget wheel specifically is a pain in the arse. Also I keep getting the Gadget Wheel and the Mission Wheel mixed up, and you can't swap between them once you've opened the other, which is unnecessary and fucking frustrating. [Edit: I just realised that the gadget wheel being on one button frees up the other three D-pad buttons, which are all fully in use, so it's probably a very necessary trade-off. However, they could still have implemented it much more smoothly and efficiently.]

Except I disagree about the 'not able to walk towards the camera' thing. I hugely prefer it the way it is now. Similarly to how it made me feel more immersed as Joel in The Last of Us than I ever felt as Nate in Uncharted. When the character direction is locked to camera direction, especially as the Bat, I feel so much more immersed and it looks totally badass just strutting about.

On the whole though, while I agree that there have been a few little steps back, the steps forward in the game have been huge and substantial.

Durden77

Since this game ended up woth an M rating, I'm surprised that they didn't commit more to it. I don't want to see like Batman Mortal Kombat, but for instance with
The Jason Todd "Joker story", that crowbar hit looked weak as fuck. That would've been a great opportunity to take advantage of the rating and also be even more true to the fiction, and show Joker really clock him and go to town. Or showing the Joker "shoot himself" instead of actually seeing Barbara do it.

It really just feels like a T game with a few more punches. They dodge a lot of stuff that would've been fine in an M rated game. Kind of a shame that it ended up with an M rating then.

rrc1594

I'm at 100% main story. Some thoughts about story and gameplay (story stuff in spoilers):

- Assisting Batmobile over gates and obstacles is piss poor gameplay
- In general Batmobile combat and driving gets better the more used to the controls you get
- I feel like some of the gadgets could have been merged into one gadget (
Hacker, voice modulator, electricity gun
)

- Story:
Joker sort of actually not being dead and "living on" was a cop out
- Story:
Arkham Knight being who he was is just another cop out
- Story:
Oracle not being dead is a cop out
- Story:
Gordon not being really that mad at Batman is a cop out
- Story:
Batmobile actually not being destroyed was a cop out
- Story:
Arkham Knight not even being a fucking bad guy in the end was a cop out

My review: 3/5, good gameplay, sub-par story, great graphics.

I agree there are a lot of cop outs in this game

Renae

Hello,

Without spoilers, how is the game story, are there many twists ? Because thanks to some people on Internet, I know who the Arkham Knight is, so I'm a bit disappointed...

Since this game ended up woth an M rating, I'm surprised that they didn't commit more to it. I don't want to see like Batman Mortal Kombat, but for instance with
The Jason Todd "Joker story", that crowbar hit looked weak as fuck. That would've been a great opportunity to take advantage of the rating and also be even more true to the fiction, and show Joker really clock him and go to town. Or showing the Joker "shoot himself" instead of actually seeing Barbara do it.

It really just feels like a T game with a few more punches. They dodge a lot of stuff that would've been fine in an M rated game. Kind of a shame that it ended up with an M rating then.

Yeah, I thought the same thing, especially in the scene you spoilered. Should have either gone for it or toned it down slightly to get the T rating. I don't know much about game sales though, maybe an M doesn't impact sales the way an R rating does for a movie.

Sojgat

You sure about that one? It's not really something that gets used often but I could swear I did it at least once during my playthrough.

I think maybe you can slide into the ones on those vents you grapnel boost though, but the standard covers now have to be pulled off.

komplanen

Hello,

Without spoilers, how is the game story, are there many twists ? Because thanks to some people on Internet, I know who the Arkham Knight is, so I'm a bit disappointed...

You'll be surprised plenty of times even if you know who AK is. I can't guarantee you'll like the story but it definitely has its "Wow" moments. Just don't get spoiled on anything else.

rrc1594

You'll be surprised plenty of times even if you know who AK is. I can't guarantee you'll like the story but it definitely has its "Wow" moments. Just don't get spoiled on anything else.

lol "Wow" that's so predictable. Is the only reason I was saying wow

GrazGamer

Most next gen moment of the game was early on when the camera zoomed out of the city then immediately back in all the way towards Batman again. No loading, no noticeable LOD transition or texture loading. I was stunned.

komplanen

Well I guess. I didn't play any other Batman games so there were a couple of moments where I thought they did something neat. Read my full story comments above. I didn't like the story and definitely AK was being hinted at hours before the reveal so it was kinda meh.

Surprises for me were (100% story spoilers):

-
Joke showing up
-
Oracle dying
-
Poison Ivy dying

But as you know by the end of the game:
It was all for fucking nothing lol. Only thing left to cop out from is if Poison Ivy turns up as a flower seed somewhere.

Alienous

Just finished the main story, gameplay is stellar as always, graphics are really good and performance is excellent on PS4. Story was a mess though.

Too many moments were way too predictable. When they show the scenes of Joker torturing the old Robin, as soon as the second one began I though "Well, I guess this guy is the Arkham Knight since this would be completely pointless otherwise. Guess there's going to be a scene where he comes to his senses, forgives Batman, and saves his life just when things look completely hopeless."

I like listening to Polygon's review podcast Quality Control, and in the episode on AK the reviewer talked about how they were surprised at some of the plot twists and said that they went all out since this is the last game in the series. He implied that there were some permanent character deaths, so Barbara dying was a huge holy shit moment for me. And then learning she was alive was disappointing. "Don't worry, Barbara's alive! And this crazy seemingly insurmountable situation you're in? It's cool, there's a backup Batmobile!"

And the ending. Definitely felt like they prioritized the spectacle over all else. And that's fine, it was a hell of a spectacle, but what the fuck happened? There were hallucinations within hallucinations, parts were seemingly not in chronological order, I have no clue what the hell happened. Other than that Batman heroically fought off the Joker virus thing through willpower alone, which again felt like a pretty lame copout.

Anyway, I could rant for awhile but the truth is I don't play these games for the story, in fact the only other Batman stuff I've ever seen in the Dark Knight and the first Frank Miller comic book. I knew going in the story was going to be nonsense, but as a game it's still incredible.

Regarding your first spoiler paragraph
getting to the 70% mark of the main story and realizing who the Arkham Knight is doesn't constitute the story being predictable. I'm certain the developers knew that most players would realize at that point, so that's they way the intended to reveal that, not when the actual mask is taken off. I'd say it's the opposite of predictable; it's unearned, because the series has only barely hinted at the existence of Jason Todd beforehand. It's a mystery where the only information you are given is 70% of the way through the game, where they decide to present Jason Todd as a potential candidate for the identity of the Arkham Knight. A real mystery needs multiple potential, initially feasible candidates being highlighted as the game progresses.

Regarding your second spoiler paragraph
I had the opposite reaction to the reveal with Barbara near the end. When she appears to have died the game stopped feeling Batman-y to me, the story just seemed to lose momentum. A stoic person who doesn't kill on a revenge mission isn't interesting, imo. When she isn't dead it made sense to me in that Scarecrow isn't interested in killing Barbara Gordon but using her a leverage.

And regarding your third spoiler paragraph
I really liked the ending. I did think the hallucination sequence was overwrought but I liked the concept of that entire last part. Batman is willing to reveal his identity to rid Scarecrow of the power he thinks he has. He faces his own personal greatest fear, becoming like the Joker, by realizing that the Joker's own personal greatest fear is being forgotten about, especially by Batman. Dead and remembered by no-one. Batman overcomes his own fear by letting go of the Joker, simultaneous and ultimately defeating the Joker. And Scarecrow realizes that Batman has conquered fear, thus making Scarecrow is powerless.

But Batman realizes this is the end of the road. With his identity revealed and him being viewed as just a man the fear he instils in criminals will dissipate over time
Riddler endgame spoilers
Talking to Catwoman at the end of Riddler's challenges after the end of the game he discusses the fact that Batman needs to die for a new legend for a new Gotham to rise from Batman's ashes.

I have my own problems with the story, but the ones you mentioned aren't them.

But Batman realizes this is the end of the road. With his identity revealed and him being viewed as just a man the fear he instils in criminals will dissipate over time [/SPOILER] Riddler endgame spoilers
Talking to Catwoman at the end of Riddler's challenges after the end of the game he discusses the fact that Batman needs to die for a new legend for a new Gotham to rise from Batman's ashes.

That was actually another part of the game I thought was really dumb. What does Batman, or anyone else, care that his identity is out? That he was scared on TV? I guess the next time he run into a villain they're going to say "Nah, I know you're Bruce Wayne, you don't scare me any more!" right before they get punched in the face? He still has the intellect and resources.

With Spiderman keeping his identity hidden is supposed to keep villains from attacking his friends and family, but as seen in this game everyone Batman cares about also openly fights crime, so what's the big deal?

I agree with you that Rocksteady has to have meant the torture scenes as the Knight reveal unless they think very little of their audience, but then why beat around the bush for another couple hours? And like you already mentioned, as someone who has very little Batman experience outside the games that character meant absolutely nothing to me.

A stoic person who doesn't kill on a revenge mission is basically the definition of Batman :p

SomTervo

Any people who don't want spoiled and are going to quote my post, watch out because there's a big spoiler in the last part of my post. Select all of that and delete it.

Hello,

There are definitely some great plot developments and at least one other 'twist'.

Although I went in with super-low expectations, so maybe I'm only enjoying it so much because I expected Arkham City level of plot (which was terrible).

Most next gen moment of the game was early on when the camera zoomed out of the city then immediately back in all the way towards Batman again. No loading, no noticeable LOD transition or texture loading. I was stunned.

It's a good bit. I've had a few like this. There are great moments when you remote control the Batmobile, then when you swap back to Batman, the camera just seamlessly transitions over to him, even if he's 200 feet away.

Yes you can. Tap right trigger when sprinting.

It's a double-tap, I think.

And the game doesn't tell you this anywhere.

?

Knight aside, you found it predictable when (big spoilers for early game folk)
Barbara died?
That was almost unprecedented. I wasn't prepared for any twists bar the obvious 'who AK is' but that one gave me quite a knock.

Alienous

It's a shame the best title for |OT2| can never be used.

Major Arkham Knight story spoilers

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT2| Press X to pay respects and Jason!

Durden77

Yeah, I thought the same thing, especially in the scene you spoilered. Should have either gone for it or toned it down slightly to get the T rating. I don't know much about game sales though, maybe an M doesn't impact sales the way an R rating does for a movie.

I'm sure that the sales won't get that much of a hit, but it just makes me sad knowing there's some kids out there that want to play this Batman game but can't because it's M. Just doesn't seem worth it, especially if they're not going to take advantage of it.

SomTervo

I'm sure that the sales won't get that much of a hit, but it just makes me sad knowing there's some kids out there that want to play this Batman game but can't because it's M. Just doesn't seem worth it, especially if they're not going to take advantage of it.

The bit you mentioned was annoying. Especially because they don't get struck directly in the face, like the assailant would do. And even worse that it's accompanied by a cartoony 'air warp' rather than just a realistic crack and blood.

Edit: I really hate the air-warp that accompanies any strike in the game and I wish there was an option to turn it off. IIRC Origins was better for this, pretty realistic strikes and strike-sounds.

Top Bottom