• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I'm really enjoying the game so far but I'm starting to see where the batmobile complaints are coming from. I actually enjoy riding the batmobile and think it controls fantastically (making a 90 degree turn at high speeds by going into battle mode for a second feels oh so good) and I've even enjoyed a few of the puzzles so far. But the encounters just aren't varied enough. It's not that I think the encounters are bad but they just lack the variety of the on-foot combat. Stuff like hacking drones should have been part of the basic batmobile package and then you should have gotten upgrades on top of that, rather then what we have currently.

But for me, it's a relatively small complaint. Driving the batmobile feels fantastic and none of the encounters have been remotely difficult to become tedious. And I actually enjoy it's inclusion because god damn, does this game nail the whole "BE THE BATMAN" feel. I thought Asylum and City did a pretty good job but damn, AK just nails the whole feel.

They managed to find a way to turn Deathstroke into a Batmobile tank fight or something, didn't they?

Heard some guards talking about him on the rooftops and got hyped; but I'm a little over half way done, and haven't seen a single boss battle yet- was really hoping for a cool on-foot fight.

Yeah the lack of boss fights has really killed a lot of the character for this game. I only got like one boss fight getting through as far as I could be bothered. The tank freaking ruins this game though. I got pretty far and decided to delete my save just so I won't have to do the crappy bit I was doing. Guess I'll start over and level the batmobile to hell and back this time.

It's really annoying though because it actually has some meaningful use in the earlier stages of the game but the further you get the more of a tedious chore the batmobile becomes to use.

Also is it just me or is the hype for this game practically gone. The OT is moving pretty slow and this was a popular series. Seems like it released at a bad time.

FHIZ

Okay, totally understand why people would get pissed if they read a review that spoiled the Arkham Knight reveal, but having gotten to the point very early in the game where you first meet him, holy crap is it obvious by the very first line he delivers, and they straight up beat you over the head with it soon after. It's like the writers didn't even try.

erawsd

When in the main menu it says story completion, is it really just the main mission % or all of the side stuff as well?

Main menu is everything. When you go to mission select in game you'll see a breakdown of main story and each of the side missions.

Okay, totally understand why people would get pissed if they read a review that spoiled the Arkham Knight reveal, but having gotten to the point very early in the game where you first meet him, holy crap is it obvious by the very first line he delivers, and they straight up beat you over the head with it soon after. It's like the writers didn't even try.

Yea, I'm not very far but it's pretty clear to me that Rocksteady lied in regards to the whole "original character" comment.

It's so obvious the moment he speaks who he is. Unless it's all one giant red herring, which I don't think is the case.

Sober

It's hard to say, because even having a somewhat passing interest in Batman should kinda get you most of the way. If you've consumed any form of
Red Hood
media or came across it, it seems super obvious. Maybe not to people who have no clue. But regardless I felt like they dragged it on way too long anyway before the actual in-game reveal.

FHIZ

Yea, I'm not very far but it's pretty clear to me that Rocksteady lied in regards to the whole "original character" comment.

That's the annoying part, I remember them specifically saying that DC had given them permission to make a new character... I wonder if something changed in development. I don't know... The story gets real weird right after that (it actually got me with a jump scare) so at least there's that element with makes things kind of fun.

It's hard to say, because even having a somewhat passing interest in Batman should kinda get you most of the way. If you've consumed any form of media or came across it, it seems super obvious. Maybe not to people who have no clue. But regardless I felt like they dragged it on way too long anyway before the actual in-game reveal.

might want to edit that certain part out, but yeah... I mean, if you don't have anything above the absolute bare minimum knowledge of Batman, then sure, it could still be a mystery, but there are very key points one hits when they start to go outside into the larger Batman universe, and this one in particular is practically unavoidable early on in anyone's Batman career.

Drayco21

I feel like the Arkham Knight being
Jason Todd
is so on the nose that most people assumed it wouldn't be him because it feels like the kind of thing you only set up just to be a red herring. Especially with them actually lying about it being a new character created by Geoff Johns for the game before release.

But yeah, between the fact that he's voiced
by Troy Baker and clearly using the same inflection as his Delsin voice he uses for Jason in the Red Hood DLC
and the way he talks to and about Batman from their first encounter make it pretty clear.

Honestly, it just makes me wish they hadn't bothered, and he was just acting as Red Hood in the whole game. Anyone who knows who Red Hood is can figure it out pretty much immediately anyway. Anyone who doesn't already know who the Red Hood is would still be just as surprised then as they would be here.

neoism

This game is amazing, loving the Batmobile stuff too.

yup... lol that reviewer must suck a vedia gaems or soomthing.. its fun as shit like the tank aswell. unless there is a part later in the game that really sucks...
but overall having a blast...

Sober

I feel like the Arkham Knight being
Jason Todd
is so on the nose that most people assumed it wouldn't be him because it feels like the kind of thing you only set up just to be a red herring. Especially with them actually lying about it being a new character created by Geoff Johns for the game before release.

But yeah, between the fact that he's voiced
by Troy Baker and clearly using the same inflection as his Delsin voice he uses for Jason in the Red Hood DLC
and the way he talks to and about Batman from their first encounter make it pretty clear.

Honestly, it just makes me wish they hadn't bothered, and he was just acting as Red Hood in the whole game. Anyone who knows who Red Hood is can figure it out pretty much immediately anyway. Anyone who doesn't already know who the Red Hood is would still be just as surprised then as they would be here.
I think they only let off because
if they just set straight up they were adapting Under the Red Hood people would've just googled it anyway and I guess spoiler culture wins out these days, even if you're planning to show Batman being basically sidewinded by a dead Robin coming back and trying to kill him. Would've been slightly more interesting than what we got, because AK/Red Hood spends most of the game complaining about you anyway. Could've been time better spent without Jason Todd acting all cryptic and Batman constantly asking who Arkham Knight was.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ok never mind. This magnet thing is fucking stupid. One set of blocks only moves on block but other blocks move entire rows and they don't ever seem to be the same ones.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So I wasn't planning to buy this game but I've got nothing else to do on my PS4 after platinuming BB. The game looks great and the reviews make it really tempting, but the thing is this would be my first Batman game. Can I still enjoy the story even if I never played the old ones?
Or should I get Witcher 3 instead lol

First, why is this your first Batman game? Second, kinda. The game is the culmination of all the major story developments of the past Batman games, especially the end of Arkham City. But, if you're even just generally familiar with Batman you'll be fine. That said, I'd recommend buying and beating Arkham Asylum and Arkham City first. I think they are both better games and they'll allow you to appreciate AK more. I'm not saying AK is bad it's just not as focused as the other two games,

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How on earth do I deal with electric hand brutes?

jbug617

Banned
Does this get creepier?

I'm in the airship where you fight the militia, then they rise up after being defeated and then turn into a bunch of Jokers that end up ganging up on you.

Drayco21

So, is there absolutely no way to actually play as the other characters outside of brief parts of fights during certain missions?

I just finished the last Riddler challenge, and
it lets you play as Catwoman as far as leaving the Orphanage, and she even makes a comment about wanting to go outside and explore, but at the end of the cutscene she just leaves off on her own- can you not explore the open world like you could in City?

That's lame. Why did they even make skins for the other characters if you can't even really play as any of them?

So, is there absolutely no way to actually play as the other characters outside of brief parts of fights during certain missions?

I just finished the last Riddler challenge, and
it lets you play as Catwoman as far as leaving the Orphanage, and she even makes a comment about wanting to go outside and explore, but at the end of the cutscene she just leaves off on her own- can you not explore the open world like you could in City?

That's lame. Why did they even make skins for the other characters if you can't even really play as any of them?

S E A S O N P A S S B O Y Z

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Bought the game and just played it for an hour or so. Definitely good but not truly starting it until after I finish The Witcher 3 as if I don't play and complete one game at a time, I'll never finish any games. LOL.

Anyway, two quick questions -

1) How do I get that control option for the Batmobile that allows me to change the L2 button to brake and R1 to battle mode? What objective do I have to complete in order to unlock this control option?

2) Not sure if this is true but my friend is telling me that you have to 100% the game in order to get the "true/real" ending. I find this hard to believe as not everyone is going to want to 100% the game. Anyway, is this true?

Thanks.

DrBo42

They managed to find a way to turn Deathstroke into a Batmobile tank fight or something, didn't they?

Heard some guards talking about him on the rooftops and got hyped; but I'm a little over half way done, and haven't seen a single boss battle yet- was really hoping for a cool on-foot fight.

:(

I can't solve these Riddler trophies for the life of me. And of course they involves using the Batmobile winch among other things. And I had one where I had to use the forensic scanner on the tank and it seemed like it did nothing.

Calling it a night

You win this round Edward Nigma.

Just want to thank everyone for the (jump scare heads up)
Man Bat warning, I totally didn't get spooked, happens right after the Riddler video for me. Halfway through the Manbat mission too...is he gonna try to spook me again...

I think they only let off because
if they just set straight up they were adapting Under the Red Hood people would've just googled it anyway and I guess spoiler culture wins out these days, even if you're planning to show Batman being basically sidewinded by a dead Robin coming back and trying to kill him. Would've been slightly more interesting than what we got, because AK/Red Hood spends most of the game complaining about you anyway. Could've been time better spent without Jason Todd acting all cryptic and Batman constantly asking who Arkham Knight was.

Batman would have been constantly asking who the Red Hood was. It would have given him more opportunities to mention the Joker since it was his old identity and Hallucination Joker would have a lot of flavor text mentioning it and suggesting that he's still alive.

Does this get creepier?

I'm in the airship where you fight the militia, then they rise up after being defeated and then turn into a bunch of Jokers that end up ganging up on you.

Yes.

Alienous

One aspect I totally did not expect was the way this treats Arkham Origins.

They treat it as canon, and almost in a way that feels tacked-on. If you meet a character that appeared in that game they make a point to mention exactly how they appeared in Arkham Origins, and how that was the only other time they interacted with Batman, even though there should be about 9 years between that and Arkham Knight in terms of canon.

Alright so what are the 15 moves in free flow you can perform? Damn I am rusty

Strike
Counter
Stun
Quick batarang
Quick gel
Batgrapple
Right trigger+Y to finish a dazed dude
Smoke
Also, takedown even though I havent been prompted to perform a takedown since the first hour of the game.

...what else?

Alienous

Strike
Counter
Stun
Quick batarang
Quick gel
Batgrapple
Smoke

...what else?

There are things like the beatdown (cape stun + mash attack button)

Or jumping on a person (like to take out a shield enemy, or get someone to the ground) which is stun + evade button + evade button

The triple stun (stun -> stun -> stun)

Ground takedown

I don't know if the evade counts as a move.

DrBo42

Strike
Counter
Stun
Quick batarang
Quick gel
Batgrapple
Smoke
Also, takedown even though I havent been prompted to perform a takedown since the first hour of the game.

...what else?

Beatdown (Cape stun and strike repeatedly)
Throw counter (push in the direction of the attacker and counter at the last second, this is usually as the limb is coming at you)
Batclaw -> Cape stun -> Strike to send them flying (if researched)
Cape stun -> Double tap evade to slam down
Super cape stun
Quick REC

Probably more I can't think of.

AK definitely has the worst boss design out of all the Arkham games.

If you even want to call them bosses.

Yeah, pretty weak stuff in the boss department.

Karish

This is the first game on Xbox one that's made me wonder if I would really notice how much better it looks on PS4. Some jaggies throughout, but those may also be on PS4..

Faenix1

Can't be bothered to go back and read every post, what's the general consensus?

Preordered it, forgot, got it in the mail today. Still plowing my way through Witcher 3 so I won't get to AK for a few days. Season pass has me iffy on keeping it, but I'd like to know if the game is worth it. I loved Asylum and City and skipped Origins, but that $40 season pass kind of annoys me. (I saved about $20 preordering ages ago, think I preordered it around the E3 when the PS4 was priced/dated lol)

HardRojo

It's a shame I can't keep playing today. It's already past midnight and I gotta wake up early tomorrow. Oh well. I've played for about 2 hours, went gliding around town just messing with the thugs, game's really good so far and I can't wait to keep going tomorrow and through the weekend.

Sober

Strike
Counter
Stun
Quick batarang
Quick gel
Batgrapple
Smoke

...what else?
You probably need to collect all the combat upgrades and gadgets before you can do all the moves.

Also, if it's like the previous games, gadgets don't count, they count as gadget variation instead. And you probably have more moves than you can use, so I wouldn't be worried, I don't think Brutality 101 is the same as a Perfect Freeflow achievement (all moves) because of context sensitive moves. So quickfire moves might count towards it.

Here's the ones I remember, might be missing a few. Gadgets are included but who knows if they're included in the achievement, but use them anyway.

1 Strike
2 Counter
3 Redirect (dodge over someone)
4 Cape Stun x 1
5 Beatdown (a pickup into crit beatdown is likely the same)
6 Quickfire Batarang
7 Quickfire Batclaw / Batclaw slam (+1 if it's separate but from the old games it's probably not)
8 Quickfire Explosive gel
9 Quickfire REC
10 Quickfire Freeze Grenade
11 Ultra Stun
12 Ground Slam
13 Y+B takedown combo
14 X+Y weapon destroy combo
15 Air juggle
16 Aerial attack
17 Throw Counter if it counts (might only count as critical counter)
18 A+B multibatarang takedown combo
19 A+X Environmental takedown
20 A+X Batmobile assisted takedown
21 Super cape stun (hold B for an ultra stun, probably just the same as ultra stun)
22 Dodge Blade takedown

edit: just did a 14 variation with 5 gadgets and did not get the achievement.

Can't be bothered to go back and read every post, what's the general consensus?

Preordered it, forgot, got it in the mail today. Still plowing my way through Witcher 3 so I won't get to AK for a few days. Season pass has me iffy on keeping it, but I'd like to know if the game is worth it. I loved Asylum and City and skipped Origins, but that $40 season pass kind of annoys me. (I saved about $20 preordering ages ago, think I preordered it around the E3 when the PS4 was priced/dated lol)

Play it.

ElRenoRaven

So quick question regarding progress post a certain mission.

So I just got to the part where at the end I locked Robin in the cell that was for Batman and then tell him about Barbra. Before this I had destroyed all the mines, taken down all the checkpoints, and towers. Now once out of there after locking Robin in the cell and telling him about Barbra some have come back.
is this a bug or intentional?

So I'm reading that there's a lack of bosses and that scares me a lot. Asylum and City had some of the best battles last gen, I hope this game doesn't disappoint me on that side given how I'm actually loving the Batmobile and don't mind the absence of Challenge modes.

So I'm reading that there's a lack of bosses and that scares me a lot. Asylum and City had some of the best battles last gen, I hope this game doesn't disappoint me on that side given how I'm actually loving the Batmobile and don't mind the absence of Challenge modes.

To be fair, Arkham's never been great on bosses. Mr. Freeze is really good, but every other boss in the series hasn't impressed me TBH.

im only a couple hours in so it's early but i'm kind of disappointed so far. im a big fan of the series but its just kind of boring to me. maybe it's because i had just played witcher 3, an incredible open world that feels like there are many different things to do and ways to approach things. in batman, it's "open world" but feels canned to me. lots of hand holding and it seems like there is one way to do this and no other way.

i don't mind the bat mobile too much but i wish it were optional for the most part. instead, some of the missions are having you use it quite a bit.

also, are there no more challenge maps in this version? in the other batmans you could do challenge stuff and fight waves of bad guys to get up your combo scores or whatever and i can't seem to find it here. i've found the riddler challenges (why its bat mobile based idk...) but maybe i'm just missing shit in the menus

anyways its not a bad game and ill for sure finish it but early game has been a little boring to me. at least it looks great!

The last hour or so took this game from like an 8/10 to a 9/10 for me. I said wow.

I spoiled the ending for myself.

"No, Bruce! Please!

...I need you."

Those lines made the game for me. Wonderful delivery by Hamill; I'm so glad Conroy and Hamill were able to reprise their roles and have a spiritual send-off for these characters.

Aurizen

I would love to play! This batman game looks sooo awesome! Gonna have to get this game very late since I'm broke for a while.

You can keep playing after the final story mission, let's say. The game doesn't actually 'end' until you've finished all the side-missions, from the looks of things. You get booted straight back into the open world until then; you don't even see credits roll.

Top Bottom