• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think you're both right. Gonna give it another go.

Also know that you can use evade to hold onto a combo even if you don't need to dodge anything, it can be good to attack once, evade, attack once, evade, etc. just to reposition yourself and see what all the enemies are doing. You can't evade twice without an action inbetween without breaking the combo though.

highrider

Banned
Played it finally today. Some quick thoughts.

Beautiful looking and performing game ( ps4 )

I'm not a fan of Arkham City but a big fan of Arkham Asylum, never played origins.

I like the batmobile, even the tank and winch sections are entertaining. It's not great but it adds some variety that the game needed imo.

The upgrades are pretty enticing, seems like it will add some depth to it.

They have perfected the combat pretty much. Just feels much more seamless and responsive. The enemy variety is dope.

The multi-takedown thing, so cool. I'm loving the predator stuff.

The story feels by the numbers so far,
not a big deal for me but missed opportunity there.

Attention to detail is a big thing with me, and for such a huge world, it's pretty amazing.

So far, very happy with this. Feels like the ultimate batman simulator.

You can just say that without veiling it behind some "people wanted more of the same" nonsense.

Whaaaaa? No. I am saying that I found the inclusion of the batmobile "meaningful". I didn't feel like it was forced. I think that it is a welcome addition to the games mechanics. Just like I don't think that the combat or predator sections are forced. It is just part of the formula. And it also compliments the original mechanics. There are straight up combat sections with the batmobile and also more stealthy sections similar to the predator stuff.

EDIT" Also the puzzles with the batmobile are amazing

So I wasn't planning to buy this game but I've got nothing else to do on my PS4 after platinuming BB. The game looks great and the reviews make it really tempting, but the thing is this would be my first Batman game. Can I still enjoy the story even if I never played the old ones?
Or should I get Witcher 3 instead lol

JohngPR

How are the DLC missions anyway?

The ones I'm most interested in are the Scarecrow and Red Hood ones. A friend told me that the Red Hood ones are pretty cool.

This is the closest the series has gotten to Nolan's Batman trilogy. Not saying that's necessarily a good thing, just an observation.

Question, how do things become more available? Side missions and whatnot are not really on the map. I do not want to continue with story missions. I am only after maybe the second main mission. How do I open up the world more?

This is the closest the series has gotten to Nolan's Batman trilogy. Not saying that's necessarily a good thing, just an observation.

Question, how do things become more available? Side missions and whatnot are not really on the map. I do not want to continue with story missions. I am only after maybe the second main mission. How do I open up the world more?

Play more story missions.

Drayco21

The rest of Gotham becomes explorable over the main story. Side missions don't get marked on the map until you get intel for them; you have to seek them out and listen to the environment to track them down otherwise.

MDSLKTR

Jesus christ I can't with this game. It's the most badass I've felt playing anything, the controls of everything are so seamless and on point, animation and graphics are full next gen, and the billion dollar tank is just a joy to use I'd place the work that went into it above the movies cars legit bravo rocksteady. Game of the generation for me so far

hbkdx12

So I found out two awesome "lil" things tonight.

1) (non mission character spoiler)
the joker will randomly show up in the world (on rooftops and such) as you freely traverse the world and ridicule you and such. Such a awesome feature given it doesn't feel scripted given it happens when your just traversing at your own leisure

2) I found out the batmobile has countermeasures when enemies approach it! I happened to be standing on a rooftop and had my batmobile in sight and enemies started walking up to it. When they get close you can pres L3 and it sends out an electric shock that knocks them all back. Haha love it

robot

I am so clumsy with these controls. Really takes a while to get used to if you haven't played a game the series since AA and have been mostly playing NES games for the last few months like myself.

(Slams on batmobile brakes, flys out of the vehicle instead)

I'm upgrading my character with all these moves and not using a single one. Amazing game though!

Heh, sort of feel the same way. The Nolan movies felt more dense and unfocused as they went on - and as I play this game I feel like it's just trying to do too much.

I wish I was playing Asylum again for the first time......

Regginator

Welp, just got to the part where (~40%)
Oracle dies
. Guess that's for real then? Since you can see the name and everything through detective mode, usually
fake deaths
can be easily seen with detective mode.

I am so clumsy with these controls. Really takes a while to get used to if you haven't played a game the series since AA and have been mostly playing NES games for the last few months like myself.

(Slams on batmobile brakes, flys out of the vehicle instead)

I'm upgrading my character with all these moves and not using a single one. Amazing game though!

Seriously, I cannot recommend enough to try out the new moves. BE THE BATMAN!

Regginator

It's ironically one of the things I dislike about Arkham Knight so far. In terms of gameplay it's basically Arkham City 2.0 (which I find a good thing), but I really dislike the "extra gritty" redesigns of most of the cast, especially Ivy and Riddler look like shit in my opinion. Haven't seen Harley yet, but I didn't like her screenshots either.

fquick

Neo Member
First Batman game since SNES. Needless to say but will anyways, it's incredible on PS4.

I was so close to finishing the Witcher, but alas, I am the Batman.

void666

Banned
Turned off all the nvidia crap and i think it looks a lot better. Screen is less cluttered without all the extra effects. Also disabled AA and applied some dowmsampling.

SlickVic

Has there been any performance analysis for the Xbox One version? I understand it seems to be 900p, but does it have the same effects from the PS4 version that are missing on PC? And does the framerate hold up at 30?

TheFatMan

I gotta say, regardless of how the gameplay is and the story (both of which I do enjoy), just driving around Gotham in the Batmobile is fucking enough to blow my mind. The rain, the neon signs, the lighting effects, the speed! Amazing!

Has there been any performance analysis for the Xbox One version? I understand it seems to be 900p, but does it have the same effects from the PS4 version that are missing on PC? And does the framerate hold up at 30?

From impressions out there it is basically same as the PS4 minus resolution.

acklame

So excited to play this, will be my first batman game. Debating if I should start this or wait till I'm through Witcher 3. But I have so much more to go in the Witcher...

JokerAceX

I don't want to bash the game, I've only been playing for a hour or so. Maybe it's just me...I'm playing on Ps4 so far the game has crashed 3 TIMES. Twice during random encounters with thugs that try to crash into you on the open streets, and once while during the first Riddler challenge in the underground with the Batmobile..also the controls feel kinda stiff.

Edit. I have the disc as well just in case this is something that's been happening with the Ps4 version.

Just got my new 4K TV hooked up. It's got 60 hz HDMI ports and a gaming mode for low input lag. Looks absolutely gorgeous since I've been playing on a small ass 26 inch TV. So pumped right now.

I'm at about 75% of the story, and let me just say I completely despise the Cobra tank sequences, wow that was the least fun I had in an Arkham game.

justjim89

How much of the story do I have left?

I just beat up the crowd of guys that allowed Ivy to spread the plant roots and grow them more. Which can't possibly backfire.

Barbara killing herself was a fucked up moment. Two Rocksteady Arkham games in a row where a woman Batman cares about is killed to allow him to express pain for a few minutes.

zychi

Banned
How much of the story do I have left?

I just beat up the crowd of guys that allowed Ivy to spread the plant roots and grow them more. Which can't possibly backfire.

Barbara killing herself was a fucked up moment. Two Rocksteady Arkham games in a row where a woman Batman cares about is killed to allow him to express pain for a few minutes.
the game tells you in mission select.

SlickVic

From impressions out there it is basically same as the PS4 minus resolution.

Sounds good. Hopefully DF has something to say about it by the end of the week. Kinda funny there's been so much discussion about the terrible PC version (which is certainly noteworthy) and how great the PS4 version runs, but very little in the way of Xbox one impressions.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I am having a lot of trouble doing long combo chains in melee fights.

Whenever they come at me with the green lightning bolts icon on their heads, I use Triangle on them, then I knock 'em a little with Square and I move on to the next.

Can't get more than 13 hit combo :(

What am I doing wrong gaf?

Biggest tip is to slow the fuck down and don't ever button mash. Combos can be pretty lenient with their windows and you get into a nice rhythm of just aiming your single punches at different targets. Think of the learning curve as getting accustomed to Batman's animations for a single punch, knowing when it ends to jump into the second button press against someone else(or anticipating a counter if enemies get super close while clobbering)

Its a big help to upgrade the critical punch ability as early as possible(not sure if its unlocked by default actually) and then just get accustomed to getting the timing for doing single punches against different enemies with critical hits on each one while tapping counter when prompted. Again, if you find yourself not getting crits(it states by the combo counter when successful), then you are attacking or mashing too fast.

Don't worry about gadgets or other moves until you condition to the pace and timing of just bouncing around with punches and counters(so long as you take on groups of basic thugs). You basically are just tapping a button once for each animation(unless countering 2-3 at a time) and once you get the feel for that, start weaving in gadgets and power moves, takedowns, etc... and watch the combos fly.

It shouldn't take very long either, the biggest hurdle is getting past the desire to just mash punch and counter relentlessly when surrounded out of being nervous. Relax and you will become Batman.

Drayco21

Hold your excitement, dark times are coming.

They managed to find a way to turn Deathstroke into a Batmobile tank fight or something, didn't they?

Heard some guards talking about him on the rooftops and got hyped; but I'm a little over half way done, and haven't seen a single boss battle yet- was really hoping for a cool on-foot fight.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Goddammit that last lap in the last riddler trial to save the hostage. Fuck this shit.

Story is about 25% done.

Wow this just keeps delivering. Wow. All the complaints about to much batmobile and mashing attack buttons just went out the window yo. Story is intense though, I'm afraid, predictable (pretty sure i know who Arkham Knight is). Regardless, a great ride so far

Quick

Banned
I'm around 20%.

It's been okay so far. Batmobile stuff can be tedious, but it's not bad.

Early game spoiler:
Using the Batmobile was really annoying in the ACE Chemical Factory, though.

Top Bottom