• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

RobbieNick

I'm only 1/3rd into the game, but I'm predicting
Talia 'Al Ghul
is the Arkham Knight.
It's the only person who knows Batman real well who isn't a Robin cuz doing another "Hush" storyline would be stupid.

G-Fex

Well as my first Batman since Arkham Asylum I like it so far. I love the non-tutorials at the beginning and right into the action.

Combos are pretty keen and I think grappling is pretty swell as well. Gliding is great. Reminds me of the tiny bit of Arkham City I played.

Batmobile I can't control worth a damn but driving in it is the bees knees and knocking over stuff is Fantastic, have you noticed how FANTASTIC the destructible enviroments are? Incredible.

The combat movement in the batmobile reminds me of Cyber Sled , the only thing I can compare it to at the moment, or uh..no actually make that ..what's that one mech game for PS1? They made like a lot of them?

Either way it's fine, The riddler challenge in the beginning was pretty nifty once I understood it.

And man, whew, the Red Hood pack is tough, but awesome. Reminder to read Red Hood and the Outlaws :)

Liking Batman's new suit, though I'll probably switch it to the 60's Batman.

Overall, worth what I paid for it. And man, I probably ain't looking for the side stuff cause I've been just messing around beating up goons and letting the Batmobile aid me.

nOoblet16

Tanks tanks tanks.

80-85% story mission spoiler
That church battle with drone spamming immediately followed by 6-7 cobra tanks, then that cloud burst tank section where you have to take each side out first and escape each time you hit, then the final cobra tank where you have to fight it head on. To top it off you the game stll doesn't wants to reveal who Arkham Knight is even after that (I already know who it is, as it was so obvious).

Just what the fuck were Rocksteady thinking?

Everything about that fight is badly designed, even the camera that pulls back when you are being pursued...just what purpose does it serve? Not like I can see the tank anyway all it does is hinders my ability to see what's right in front of me. Just what the fuck...the tank sections are definitely low point of the series for me because of how overused they are and how shit they are designed.

so uhhhh....

First things first, loving the game so far, really got me interested in the past arkham games, will wait for the inevitable arkham trilogy on ps4.

I'm starting to hate the forced mission's involving the automobile. Also, I'd rather fly and glide around the city than be driving a car, just doesn't feel superhero-y enough.

is batman hallucinating and imagining the joker? is this going to happen throughout the game? is he infected with the joker serum thingy which is causing him to hallucinate? what triggered the joker to pop up and shot batman in the head?

....and my god at them jump scares.

SomTervo

so uhhhh....

First things first, loving the game so far, really got me interested in the past arkham games, will wait for the inevitable arkham trilogy on ps4.

I'm starting to hate the forced mission's involving the automobile. Also, I'd rather fly and glide around the city than be driving a car, just doesn't feel superhero-y enough.

is batman hallucinating and imagining the joker? is this going to happen throughout the game? is he infected with the joker serum thingy which is causing him to hallucinate? what triggered the joker to pop up and shot batman in the head?

....and my god at them jump scares.

Yes re your spoilers. What triggers it is
Batman staying in the chamber while Scarecrow is releasing the toxin. Yknow the bit when you are moving the cannisters from one slot into another? Batman is breathing in his toxin the whole time and gradually losing it. In an earlier game, Batman was injected with Joker's blood, which had some horrendous virus in it which affects your DNA to become more like the Joker's. So basically Batman is becoming the Joker in quite a literal sense, and Scarecrow's serum has jump-started this process, so the Joker is becoming more and more prominent in Batman's mind.

Getting towards the end of the story. The BatMobile is ok for normal missions and general horsing around in Gotham, but the
two boss battles against the Arkhan Knight
are a pain in the ass. Didnt like them at all. I didn't pay for Battlezone and Dig-Dug.

Overall, it's good, but not 10/10 best game of the generation good. There's going to be a hell of a hype hangover a few months from now.

Tanks tanks tanks.

80-85% story mission spoiler
That church battle with drone spamming immediately followed by 6-7 cobra tanks, then that cloud burst tank section where you have to take each side out first and escape each time you hit, then the final cobra tank where you have to fight it head on. To top it off you the game stll doesn't wants to reveal who Arkham Knight is even after that (I already know who it is, as it was so obvious).

Just what the fuck were Rocksteady thinking?

Everything about that fight is badly designed, even the camera that pulls back when you are being pursued...just what purpose does it serve? Not like I can see the tank anyway all it does is hinders my ability to see what's right in front of me. Just what the fuck...the tank sections are definitely low point of the series for me because of how overused they are and how shit they are designed.

This particular section is probably what's going to lead to me not replaying this game. I've replayed Asylum and City every few months since those games came out, absolutely love'em, but all this tank shit in Knight is just too much. I actually love most of the Batmobile stuff, really enjoyed the Riddler challenges with it, love calling it in while I'm on the run and powersliding around corners at top speed and ejecting out of it like a mile into the air, but the arena tank battles just aren't fun after a certain point. You have to do it like twenty times in the main story alone, and then another twenty in side missions, and the first instance of it is exactly the same as the last except by the end you're facing way more enemies and more frustrating enemy types.

I finished the game last night and I'm honestly pretty disappointed, after being such a huge fan of Rocksteady's first two. That same magic is still there in a lot of places, and I love the ways they've updated all facets of Batmanning. AK is unquestionably an Asylum-to-City-sized leap, not just 'we made City again' like Origins was. But the endless tank battles are just such a drag, and the lack of any really good, unique bossfights like Mr Freeze's is a real shame. The side missions feel like Ubisoft-style mindless tasks to repeat over and over; chase a truck, fight some guys, tail a van, rescue a dude, do another tank battle. There are so few lengthy in-door areas in the vein of Asylum and City, and you keep revisiting the same ones over and over; it feels like they ran out of time or money at a certain point and just decided to pad the game out with more tank battles. Gotham itself just doesn't have that dense, tightly-designed feel, because it's intended to be blasted through at afterburner-speed, and all the streets are wide enough for impromptu tank skirmishes.

And, goddamn, why do all the character models still look awful? It was something I forgave in the first two games because I loved everything else about them so much, but after Origins' fantastic Batman model, Arkham Knight's cast just looks shitty. For all their specular-highlighting, depth-of-field, chromatic-aberration, particle-effects-out-the-ass graphics Batman still stands like a robot just like he did in 2009.
Batman-Arkham-City-Character-Models-1-1041428.jpg

the multi-surprise take down move is cool but the effect they use looks really weird, it's like they turned the sharpness feature up to 100.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
God this Batmobile shit never ends...
You really don't like it?

I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE the Batmobile in this game. It's a neat mechanic. It's akin to playing as two different characters with different skill sets that have to work together to proceed through the game. I really enjoy that kind of stuff.

Plus, actually controlling the Batmobile is amazing. It drives well and the camera work used while driving is just lovely.

I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE the Batmobile in this game.

How far are you into it? I'd honestly be surprised if you still feel that way by the end, because they make you strafe around in arenas blowing up waves of enemy tanks so many times in this game. I absolutely love every other use of the Batmobile, but I was so sick of straight up arena battles by the time I was done. Imagine if the hand-to-hand combat never evolved beyond punching and dodging, but they still threw you into huge brawls every twenty minutes for the entire length of the game. They really just hammer it into the ground; that one gameplay mechanic is ludicrously over-used.

SomTervo

How far are you into it? I'd honestly be surprised if you still feel that way by the end, because they make you strafe around in arenas blowing up waves of enemy tanks so many times in this game. I absolutely love every other use of the Batmobile, but I was so sick of straight up arena battles by the time I was done. Imagine if the hand-to-hand combat never evolved beyond punching and dodging, but they still threw you into huge brawls every twenty minutes for the entire length of the game. They really just hammer it into the ground; that one gameplay mechanic is ludicrously over-used.

See, I haven't finished the game yet, but apparently I've only got 20-25% of the story left to go.

And I really have not been bogged down in Batmobile battles at all. As I posted earlier, I played for 3.5 hours last night, and only spent about 15-20 mins in the Batmobile (every minute of which I loved). This included 2-3 main story missions, one of which was very long, two of which were short.

Maybe that last 20% of the game is wall-to-wall repetitive Batmobile encounters. From what I've gleamed from near-spoilers, there must be at least two Batmobile boss battles in that time. So maybe my opinion will change.

But right now, I love the Batmobile and it doesn't feel overdone at all. It helps that 2/10 of the side quests require the Batmobile.

Durden77

The bit you mentioned was annoying. Especially because they don't get struck directly in the face, like the assailant would do. And even worse that it's accompanied by a cartoony 'air warp' rather than just a realistic crack and blood.

Edit: I really hate the air-warp that accompanies any strike in the game and I wish there was an option to turn it off. IIRC Origins was better for this, pretty realistic strikes and strike-sounds.

Yeah, that scene was BRUTAL in the comics. They really missed the mark on it hard, when they didn't have to at all.

Hell I think there was more cursing in the first hour of Arkham City with all the Catwoman bitch calling than there has been in this entire game. Really weird that this is M rated.

PlayGO is ready on PS4. As my internet sucks here, the rest will be downloaded in 20 hours or so and there is the 3.5 GB patch. So:

1- With the PlayGO how long will i be able to play it? Instead of story missions, can i just roam the city and complete side-stuff so i can spend time with the game till the download finishes?

2- 3.5 GB patch means 3.5 hours download for me. Should i download it before even starting via PlayGO? Is the patch worth it?

I fucking hate the internet speed in my country.

CryptiK

So all the story DLC for the season pass has been announced :/

-Harley
-Red Hood
-Batgirl

I thought there would be more :<. Considering the only one unique to the Season Pass is Batgirl.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I have to admit, I absolutely LOVE the Batmobile in this game. It's a neat mechanic. It's akin to playing as two different characters with different skill sets that have to work together to proceed through the game. I really enjoy that kind of stuff.

Plus, actually controlling the Batmobile is amazing. It drives well and the camera work used while driving is just lovely.

How far in are you?

-Harley
-Red Hood
-Batgirl

I thought there would be more :<. Considering the only one unique to the Season Pass is Batgirl.

Wait, really? Is there a source for this? That can't be it for $40 and supposedly six months worth of content. They can't just fill the rest up with skins, right?

I'll test this again later, but I tried sliding into a number of vents, and it did nothing.

Maybe I've just been wildly unlucky, and the slide was stopping right at the vent.

Double tapping RT has been working for me. They did seem to tweak the move. You can still slide into enemies, so that's good.

As for the season pass details...

Batgirl: A Matter of Family
An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series - check out the first render of Batgirl.

The Season of Infamy
Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Gotham City Stories
Play as Batman’s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.

Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks
Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman’s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile’s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.

Crimefighter Challenge Maps
Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Character Skins
A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman. As we fully ramp up development on the Season Pass, we will be sharing even more details on each monthly content drop. We hope you enjoy playing Batman: Arkham Knight as much as we’ve enjoyed making it."

SomTervo

game glitched on new game + for me ?
stuck at the zeplin where i need to open the door by hacking into the drone,can't do anything else then make it friendly while it should shock the people behind the door but it doesnt do that

game breaking glitch ?

You need to do something else after that.

I can't remember what, but you hack it, and its lights go red to highlight the bad guys, who start talking about it and worrying about it. Then you do something else and it finishes them. Can't remember what, sorry mate.

As for the season pass details...

That all actually looks pretty okay for £33, along with supporting a game I am absolutely loving.

Crypt

God this Batmobile shit never ends...

They have to cram it into every main mission seemingly. It's really annoying.

I don't mind the little puzzles they have you do with it, but the constant tank drone battles are so repetitive. It would have been great if they just added the batmobile as a quick travel with puzzles type of thing, but I really can't stand any more of these tank onslaughts.

I also feel like this is the game where I know the least about the layout of the city. I don't feel like I know it like I did in the last two games.

Garibaldi

-Harley
-Red Hood
-Batgirl

You got a source for this? They better not be including the Harley content as a specific paid for DLC in the season pass considering 90% of the copies sold had it included by default.

TimmiT

I think the Batmobile can be fun, but it takes getting used to the controls. Like, instead of the left trigger being for braking and drifting they use it for entering the combat mode, with the square button being for braking and drifting. I don't really see a reason why they did it like that either, they easily could have made it so that the combat mode can be toggled on and off with the square button.

The Combat AR Challenges seem ridiculously easy based on the two I've done so far. The one on top of the tower was a joke compared to some of the Batmobile challenges I've done.

CryptiK

Wait, really? Is there a source for this? That can't be it for $40 and supposedly six months worth of content. They can't just fill the rest up with skins, right?

http://www.gamesradar.com/all-exclusive-batman-arkham-knight-pre-order-dlc-season-pass/

All of the preorder exclusives are Season Pass content.

Batgirl: A Matter of Family
An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series - check out the first render of Batgirl.

The Season of Infamy
Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Gotham City Stories - Red Hood and Harley
Play as Batman&#8217;s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.

Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks - Skins
Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman&#8217;s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile&#8217;s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.

Crimefighter Challenge Maps
Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Character Skins - Skins
A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman. As we fully ramp up development on the Season Pass, we will be sharing even more details on each monthly content drop. We hope you enjoy playing Batman: Arkham Knight as much as we&#8217;ve enjoyed making it."

I also feel like this is the game where I know the least about the layout of the city. I don't feel like I know it like I did in the last two games.

I think that's something that gets lost when they let you just blast through the city at lightspeed. With Arkham City your traversal abilities fit the size of the area; you got to know all the buildings you'd have to get grapple boosts from to stay aloft, and the main story areas gave each part of the city a certain sense of 'place'. This bit over here is where Joker's Steel Mill is, and that part's where Penguin's hanging out, etc. Big landmarks that you recognised and could pick out from far away.

With Gotham in Arkham Knight, you're either rocketing through it in the Batmobile (watching a GPS route appear on the road in front of you) or soaring over it as Batman; there's no real reason to get down to street level and walk around. The streets themselves are scaled for tank battles, so they're much too wide to get around on foot without having to sprint in straight lines for extended periods, and there's really not much down there anyway. I can't even remember where a lot of the in-door areas from the story actually exist in the world, apart from the Zeppelin. So few of those buildings are actually used for anything in the story, unlike Arkham City where it felt like no square inch went unused. It really just feels like any other big, empty open world.

So impressions after
The Joker reveal.
. Not very far into the game but from someone who loves the series, here's what I think:

Pros:
Batman looks the best here. The exaggerated girth from the first two games is minimalized. I know it's a stylistic choice but it was distracting, considering the games themselves bill him at 210 pounds. The new suit looks very good and is refreshing to look at.

Zipping through the city is great as always. There are still some moments where Batman goes somewhere other than where you want him to go. Still, the sense of speed here has been ramped up.

Combat is simply better. Batman hits harder and the combos look great. The fluid animations are amazing and the options are great. Some of the excessiveness has been toned down but the combat flows incredibly well.

The game looks and runs amazingly. I am using my PS4 and there's been no frame drops, glitches, or bugs. Really impressive considering it's an open world game and it's always raining.

The Batmobile itself. The car sounds and looks great. The fact that it has a Christopher Nolan vibe to it rules. It barrels through anything too.

The options for Batman have been increased heavily. The Fear takedowns are amazing and look super impressive and the Batmobile assists are cool as hell too. It's really hard to capture everything Batman can do but this game really gives you the largest palette to work with.

Cons:
I love the Batmobile but it's used too much as others stated. The novelty wears off too soon.

The controls take some time to get used to in the Batmobile. I have brake/reverse mapped to L2 and that seemed to help but the R1 for battle mode sucks. I constantly hit L1 and jump out of the Batmobile for some reason. The car also feels super heavy at times and super light at others so it's a bit strange maneuvering sometimes.

The game doesn't really help you. I don't need a tutorial since I've played all the others but the menu system is different and is still an adjustment. I don't like holding down on the pad to bring up weapon options. I also don't like how Detective mode is triggered with pressing up on the pad and Scan mode is triggered by HOLDING up. I had to fool around for nearly 15 minutes to figure that out. Plus, side missions and collectibles are harder to find on the map this time around.

The Riddler Challenges are not as fun as they used to be. These ones are more frustrating than enjoyable. Timed races always suck especially when the vehicle is not designed to be driven like a Ferrari.

The Arkham Knight himself and Scarecrow are not as effective as Joker or Hugo Strange. I have to see how this plays out but I feel like Arkham Knight was really misrepresented. I have an idea as to who he is already.

I have just scratched the surface here but there are a lot of additions and improvements this time around compared to Arkham City and Arkham Asylum but there also is some subtractions as well.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So I assume that the Batgirl DLC will be the first one to come out? The trophies for it are already up and it's listed first in WB's official announcement

So I am equally impressed by how well the bat mobile is integrated into everything and annoyed by the fact it invades into everything

It's actuallt pretty impressive how well they manage to include it in everything but it feels jarring - batman didn't use it once in city or asylum so why is it suddenly used for everything

Really enjoying the tone of the game and the atmosphere, the story is great so far, less bat mobile and this would be an absolute joy

SomTervo

I think that's something that gets lost when they let you just blast through the city at lightspeed. With Arkham City your traversal abilities fit the size of the area; you got to know all the buildings you'd have to get grapple boosts from to stay aloft, and the main story areas gave each part of the city a certain sense of 'place'. This bit over here is where Joker's Steel Mill is, and that part's where Penguin's hanging out, etc. Big landmarks that you recognised and could pick out from far away.

With Gotham in Arkham Knight, you're either rocketing through it in the Batmobile (watching a GPS route appear on the road in front of you) or soaring over it as Batman; there's no real reason to get down to street level and walk around. The streets themselves are much too wide to get around on foot without having to sprint in straight lines for extended periods, and there's really not much down there anyway. It really just feels like any other big, empty open world. I can't even remember where a lot of the in-door areas from the story actually exist in the world, apart from the Zeppelin. So few of those buildings are actually used for anything in the story, unlike Arkham City where it felt like no square inch went unused.

Couldn't disagree more.

Arkham City felt like a toy city. It felt like a tiny, lame place. Imo the fact that you got to recognise every part instantly like the back of your hand made it a worse open world.

The best aspect of any open world is that there's lots to explore and you can feel like you're constantly discovering. You could say that is the point of having an open world. It goes on and on. I felt bored with City's open world within a couple of hours because I felt like I knew every section and street in that time frame. I mean, you could traverse the entire thing in less than a minute. What was the point of it even being open world? It was great that the side missions and Riddler challenges got us to engage more, but Arkham Knight has that, too.

If you go and try tackling a few Riddler puzzles/trophies in Arkham Knight, you'll be forced to engage with every part of the city at every vertical level. It's all there, it just takes a long time to get to it. And while I can always recognise which Island I'm on, and roughly where I am, i'm still seeing a lot of places as if they're new.

It's actually almost the perfect size of open world city imo. It keeps the gameplay focused but it's large enough to get half-lost in.

I've also written before about how unused space in open worlds is very important (Origins understood this - it makes places feel real rather than just like a videogame climbing frame), but I won't go into it fully here.

Cade

Hey guys no spoilers but has anyone accidentally permanently bugged out a sidequest? I think I broke one of the serial killer locations. I've found one since, but it keeps wanting me to go to one I already fully scanned, but when I get there the
body has already been scanned and I can't go into evidence scanning mode. it says identity: blahblah blah, deceased
. Anyone else? I'm on PS4. Love the game but man, clearly no time went to QA on any platform (unless Xbox is bugfree)

So I am equally impressed by how well the bat mobile is integrated into everything and annoyed by the fact it invades into everything
In my experience:
- car puzzles can be super good.
- races are really good.
- tank battles are super boring.

The story has way too much of the latter IMO.

nOoblet16

This particular section is probably what's going to lead to me not replaying this game. I've replayed Asylum and City every few months since those games came out, absolutely love'em, but all this tank shit in Knight is just too much. I actually love most of the Batmobile stuff, really enjoyed the Riddler challenges with it, love calling it in while I'm on the run and powersliding around corners at top speed and ejecting out of it like a mile into the air, but the arena tank battles just aren't fun after a certain point. You have to do it like twenty times in the main story alone, and then another twenty in side missions, and the first instance of it is exactly the same as the last except by the end you're facing way more enemies and more frustrating enemy types.

I finished the game last night and I'm honestly pretty disappointed, after being such a huge fan of Rocksteady's first two. That same magic is still there in a lot of places, and I love the ways they've updated all facets of Batmanning. AK is unquestionably an Asylum-to-City-sized leap, not just 'we made City again' like Origins was. But the endless tank battles are just such a drag, and the lack of any really good, unique bossfights like Mr Freeze's is a real shame. The side missions feel like Ubisoft-style mindless tasks to repeat over and over; chase a truck, fight some guys, tail a van, rescue a dude, do another tank battle. There are so few lengthy in-door areas in the vein of Asylum and City, and you keep revisiting the same ones over and over; it feels like they ran out of time or money at a certain point and just decided to pad the game out with more tank battles. Gotham itself just doesn't have that dense, tightly-designed feel, because it's intended to be blasted through at afterburner-speed, and all the streets are wide enough for impromptu tank skirmishes.

And, goddamn, why do all the character models still look awful? It was something I forgave in the first two games because I loved everything else about them so much, but after Origins' fantastic Batman model, Arkham Knight's cast just looks shitty. For all their specular-highlighting, depth-of-field, chromatic-aberration, particle-effects-out-the-ass graphics Batman still stands like a robot just like he did in 2009.

I kind like the Batmobile, it's fun to drive but the Tank mode is just awful. It's unnecessary and there's too much padding with it...too much. Because of the tank stuff I don't want to drive the Batmobile anymore.

Especially later on when you can't even cruise around comfortably without bumping into a "surprise tank arena". It's Ubisoft design mentality here too to have mundane stuff fill the open world, even the skies become littered with enemies (I donno if you can take them down and " clear out" the skies by capturing a stronghold ala Ubisoft again..that'd be confirming this suspicion)

I also do not see where I can possibly use Batmobile assisted takedowns, most of thr outdoor fightings are in rooftops where the car cant get and indoors are obviously out of question. So where do I use it outside of random goons on street, why would I be fighting those goons ? And why wouldn't I just be in my car and take them out if the car's around?

bryanee

there's no real reason to get down to street level and walk around.

Funny because I spent two hours walking around ground level last night exploring and getting Riddler trophies.

As for you comments earlier about the character models still being shit, I couldn't disagree more. They're the best they have been, especially the villains.

The amount of rain in the game is too much. It really can obscure the action, i wonder if it helps with fps.

I think that would actually make it worse. More stuff on screen generally means less fps.

The game has some truly gorgeous scenery, for the first time I feel like I'm actually in the real Gotham being Batman.

ZeroX03

Banned

-Harley
-Red Hood
-Batgirl

Where are you getting this from? I don't see any indication that this is the only story DLC. Just that retailer exclusive will eventually be part of the season pass.

Top Bottom