• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Are there any other outfits I can get apart from The New 52 and Anime?

Season Pass gets you the Flashback skin I believe. Now...I'm not sure if you get one from New Game + but there is a locked slot in my 100% game. Still working through New Game +.

fireshot-capture---image-1920times1080---https-images-eds-ssl-xb-138565.png
It might just be for the flashpoint skin, but its not reading correctly because the game servers are fucked up.

why in the FUCK does this game give you hints and tell you how to solve puzzles even though I turned "hints" off on the menu? shit isn't that hard to begin with, hand-holding should be optional

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think the Batmobile can be fun, but it takes getting used to the controls. Like, instead of the left trigger being for braking and drifting they use it for entering the combat mode, with the square button being for braking and drifting. I don't really see a reason why they did it like that either, they easily could have made it so that the combat mode can be toggled on and off with the square button.
I know, which is why I selected that option from the menu. It's much more playable when you use the toggle option (which assigns combat mode toggle to R1 while R2 and L2 are used for gas and brake during normal driving). Much easier to use.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I downloaded the free skins

theres 3 still locked, what are they? Think one may be for Robin or NW

nOoblet16

Oh FFS another Batmobile "boss" fight.

Some 85% mission spoiler
After that entire mission about Cloudburst I am fighting Arkham Knight once again...in a tank..inside a tunnel..where the camera pulls back every time I need to concentrate on driving precisely to get away.

Looking at the OP tells me the car can go 0-60 in some 2.3 seconds..yet it can get chased by Arkham Knight's fuckin drill mobile

jimboton

why in the FUCK does this game give you hints and tell you how to solve puzzles even though I turned "hints" off on the menu? shit isn't that hard to begin with, hand-holding should be optional
Well that's a big shame. The Polygon review gave me hope Rocksteady had at last abandoned the endless tutorial approach and let you think for yourself a bit. Biggest shortcoming of the Arkham series, it treats gamers like very stupid very lazy people. Waiting for wb to fix the pc version to find out how bad it is :(

E the Shaggy

Batman dodges the sword, puts Azrael down and takes him to the GCPD lockup. What happens if you take the other option, out of interest?

Azrael breaks the sword, talks about how he's done being manipulated by the Order of St. Dumas, Batman shakes his hand, then he leaves.

SomTervo

Well that's a big shame. The Polygon review gave me hope Rocksteady had at last abandoned the endless tutorial approach and let you think for yourself a bit. Biggest shortcoming of the Arkham series, it treats gamers like very stupid very lazy people. Waiting for wb to fix the pc version to find out how bad it is :(

FYI I've not noticed too much tutorialing at all. In fact people have generally complimented the game for not holding the players' hand too much.

The only thing which bothers me about it is Batman's inner voice explaining what he has to do every time there's a new objective. But most of the time it's not too bad.

I`m sorry if this question has been asked before, but can I complete all story missions and then do the sidequests or will some sidequests be blocked because something happens during the story or so?

Durden77

So I am equally impressed by how well the bat mobile is integrated into everything and annoyed by the fact it invades into everything

It's actuallt pretty impressive how well they manage to include it in everything but it feels jarring - batman didn't use it once in city or asylum so why is it suddenly used for everything

Pretty much. It's implemented so, so well as an extension of Batman and as a tool. Really about as well as you could possibly imagine. Rocksteady obviously knows how important and bad-ass the Batmobile is.

It's just that too many objectives are designed around it, and most of them just simply aren't as exciting as the standard Batman stuff. The stuff that they do that's clever with it gets lost in the crazy amount of tank battles and other shit. They use it so much that even in the context of their own world, it's ridiculous. Like why the hell is the Riddler concocting MULTIPLE elaborate underground tests specifically for the Batmobile?

They just went too crazy with it. I'm really glad it's there, but I totally get the criticisms now after spending around 20 hours with the game. It's not the Batmobile itself that people dislike, it's the context and frequency in which it's used.

SomTervo

I`m sorry if this question has been asked before, but can I complete all story missions and then do the sidequests or will some sidequests be blocked because something happens during the story or so?

Pretty sure it's all doable after the story.

I don't know how the story ends, though, so it may not be.

You can choose to do New Game Plus once you finish the story, and that lets you keep your upgrades/character and start all the quests (story and side) again, so that's an option too.

Alienous

so how does the rain manage to get into the clock tower

It doesn't, but that's a glitch someone else of GAF had.

I didn't encounter any glitches but a lot of slowdown the in the latter half of the game, and it seems like others are getting the opposite.

Dantis

http://www.gamesradar.com/all-exclusive-batman-arkham-knight-pre-order-dlc-season-pass/

All of the preorder exclusives are Season Pass content.

Batgirl: A Matter of Family
An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series - check out the first render of Batgirl.

The Season of Infamy
Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Gotham City Stories - Red Hood and Harley
Play as Batman’s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.

Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks - Skins
Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman’s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile’s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.

Crimefighter Challenge Maps
Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Character Skins - Skins
A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman. As we fully ramp up development on the Season Pass, we will be sharing even more details on each monthly content drop. We hope you enjoy playing Batman: Arkham Knight as much as we’ve enjoyed making it."

Pretty sure you're misinterpreting this. Doesn't it mean you get the preorder stuff on top of all that? There's no way 'Batman's key allies' refers to Red Hood and Harley.

So i'm looking to buy the digital version on the Xbox One, but I don't get the Harley Quinn Story Pack any more? Usually the pre order bonuses stay there for a like a week.

Footos22

Slumdog billionaire challenge. need 20 odd thousand for three stars, 3 attempts didn't even get over 10k. 4th try 63400 ish

Like a boss.

obin_gam

Polygon is right, to a fault actually. The game doesn't ease you in at all which is very frustrating for new players.

Guys, where are the takedowns? hahaha. I have not seen nor been able to X+Y all game long.

I can't say that my experience aligns to the person you quoted. In fact, this may be the least hand holding I've seen in the series. It would be very difficult for newcomers to come to terms with the mechanics.
You probably need to collect all the combat upgrades and gadgets before you can do all the moves.

Also, if it's like the previous games, gadgets don't count, they count as gadget variation instead. And you probably have more moves than you can use, so I wouldn't be worried, I don't think Brutality 101 is the same as a Perfect Freeflow achievement (all moves) because of context sensitive moves. So quickfire moves might count towards it.

Here's the ones I remember, might be missing a few. Gadgets are included but who knows if they're included in the achievement, but use them anyway.

1 Strike
2 Counter
3 Redirect (dodge over someone)
4 Cape Stun x 1
5 Beatdown (a pickup into crit beatdown is likely the same)
6 Quickfire Batarang
7 Quickfire Batclaw / Batclaw slam (+1 if it's separate but from the old games it's probably not)
8 Quickfire Explosive gel
9 Quickfire REC
10 Quickfire Freeze Grenade
11 Ultra Stun
12 Ground Slam
13 Y+B takedown combo
14 X+Y weapon destroy combo
15 Air juggle
16 Aerial attack
17 Throw Counter if it counts (might only count as critical counter)
18 A+B multibatarang takedown combo
19 A+X Environmental takedown
20 A+X Batmobile assisted takedown
21 Super cape stun (hold B for an ultra stun, probably just the same as ultra stun)
22 Dodge Blade takedown

edit: just did a 14 variation with 5 gadgets and did not get the achievement.

Thanks! Achievement says you need 15. I need to go to a VR challenge and practice. I used to be so amazing at this in the first two games lol

How long is the story compared with Asylum and City? The progress indicator is telling me I'm 26% through (about 4.5 hours total played), but I feel like the story is barely even started. I have done some side stuff, but it seems like a lot of it isn't even unlocked yet.

I'm afraid of finishing the game too quickly - maybe this is just the effect of coming off the Witcher 3, where I'm about 30% in at 60+ hours.

SomTervo

Slumdog billionaire challenge. need 20 odd thousand for three stars, 3 attempts didn't even get over 10k. 4th try 63400 ish

Like a boss.

One of the best feelings. And toned down so much from the earlier games, where these challenges were much tougher three-round affairs.

For the first time in a Batman game, I actually got this feeling in the open world, too. There's an Arkham Knight outpost on a rooftop which I found insanely hard for no particular reason. It's like 7-8 regular goons, two big heavy goons, and 3-4 ninjas.

I must have tried it six or seven times before I beat it. And after each time I went down, there was a full minute's loading screen. But for some reason I didn't care. It was genuinely so engaging and fun trying to beat them.

The satisfaction was... Disturbing when I broke the last one's leg, strutted over to the Outpost terminal and blew it the fuck up.

Polygon is right, to a fault actually. The game doesn't ease you in at all which is very frustrating for new players.

Yeah, I don't quite get where that guy is coming from.

Boo. I'm a Harley fan so I wanted to see how it played out. I'm guessing it'll be in the season pass?

Does she appear at all in the main game?

Yes.

Lnkn52

I haven't played since the first Arkham game; there is a slight learning curve with these control schemes. Having a hard time using all the gadgets and combos.

Overall, the game looks great.

How come when I set a waypoint for a mission it doesn't show up and sometimes it does? Seems totally random.
Found that weird too, It marked the first Fireman, but not the second. I'm guessing you have to explore the map.

Are there any boss battles in the game? I'm like 40% through and I don't think I've encountered one yet. Some of the best parts of the old games was how many villains you fought and encountered through the story and so far you pretty much only have quick run ins with them before you have to go do something else.

nOoblet16

Guys, where are the takedowns? hahaha. I have not seen nor been able to X+Y all game long.

I can't say that my experience aligns to the person you quoted. In fact, this may be the least hand holding I've seen in the series. It would be very difficult for newcomers to come to terms with the mechanics.

Except for the part where Batman or the other person literally just tells you what to do or where to look for solving the puzzle.

Alienous

Are there any boss battles in the game? I'm like 40% through and I don't think I've encountered one yet. Some of the best parts of the old games was how many villains you fought and encountered through the story and so far you pretty much only have quick run ins with them before you have to go do something else.

Really minor spoilers
don't get your hopes up. The one's that are there likely won't be the kind of thing you want if you liked the bosses of the Asylum, City or Origins.

nOoblet16

(I don't really think this is a spoiler so I won't tag it.)
Only if you consider car fights as boss fights, nothing in traditional sense so far for me and I am close to finish.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh FFS another Batmobile "boss" fight.

Some 85% mission spoiler
After that entire mission about Cloudburst I am fighting Arkham Knight once again...in a tank..inside a tunnel..where the camera pulls back every time I need to concentrate on driving precisely to get away.

Looking at the OP tells me the car can go 0-60 in some 2.3 seconds..yet it can get chased by Arkham Knight's fuckin drill mobile

The game is loaded with forced batmobile sequences like this and it just abhorrent design. The waves of drone tanks, charging the winch, platforming with it, having to constantly get in and out to hit switches... ugh. I started off thinking I was going to really dig this game, but boy did it ever nosedive. Biggest disappointment of the year for me and I regret the hell out of buying it.

SomTervo

How come when I set a waypoint for a mission it doesn't show up and sometimes it does? Seems totally random.

Found that weird too, It marked the first Fireman, but not the second. I'm guessing you have to explore the map.

Quite a few missions in the game require you to find the next objective. Usually the first objective is set for you, because it's flagged up by Alfred. But the following 1-10 objectives will probably need to be found yourself.

Pay close attention to the radio and to detective mode. For example, you might just get a brief snatch of 'I'm gonna enjoy this!' or 'Please, don't hurt me!' for one of the missing firemen. You'll have to look around and source the group yourself.

It's one of the best handled open world structures, imo.

Alienous

The game is loaded with forced batmobile sequences like this and it just abhorrent design. The waves of drone tanks, charging the winch, platforming with it, having to constantly get in and out to hit switches... ugh. I started off thinking I was going to really dig this game, but boy did it ever nosedive. Biggest disappointment of the year for me and I regret the hell out of buying it.

It's the strangest thing. I was enamoured with the game at the start, but as it progressed it started doing less and less of the things I love and more and more of the tank stuff, which isn't terrible but also definitely isn't what I come to an Arkham game for. And with the freeflow combat being tainted with too many mechanics (such as specific methods of defeating 5 unique different enemies) and 15 enemies to keep in mind at times I didn't even find that, the core of the gameplay, as fun as I did in Asylum, City or even Origins.

The game pulled it together nearer to the end for me, but with the lack of a decent challenge mode I'm really glad I only paid £5 for this and I'm a huge fan of the series.

good tip for the batmobile parts where you need to go fast, change the camera to first person it really helps.

The camera pulling way back when you need to escape is silly, I died alot at one point near the end because I was unable to get away well.

hbkdx12

I can't say for sure but having that stuff show up seems to be a combination of coming across it randomly at your own leisure and pushing forward in the story enough that you'll suddenly get intel about a particular side mission that will give you hints or a general area on where you should be looking to further the side quest

I can appreciate the idea that they make it so you kind of have to find this stuff on your own which sometimes feels like its more trouble than what it's worth, but the fact that, as you guys pointed out, that sometimes they're on the nose about where you need to go and other times they're not is a bit annoying.

TheFatMan

I've found it only offers you "hints" if you've been stuck in the same place for a length of time. I found it to be nice, although I've only had to use it a few times and it was generally when I had forgotten about one of the 100 different tools Batman has at his disposal.

yeah, it's really, really annoying. "press d-pad down to use the remote batarang" right across the center of the screen." is that not a hint? then there's the section where
you're leaving a penguin hideout and you're cornered by a bunch of armed enemies and sentry guns. the game then has batman verbally tell you you need to remote to the batmobile and then shows you the exact location you have to take the batmobile in order to shoot the soldiers
. another section you chase down a vehicle, the game tells you to "press L1 to exit the batmobile, then says "press triangle to interrogate the driver." i might as well just turn my brain off. absolutely terrible. when does dark souls 3 come out?

I've found it only offers you "hints" if you've been stuck in the same place for a length of time. I found it to be nice, although I've only had to use it a few times and it was generally when I had forgotten about one of the 100 different tools Batman has at his disposal.

it was probably all of 3 seconds before these popped up. the point is though, i have hints toggled OFF in the menu. i don't want hints or tips. isn't that why that option is there?

SomTervo

Like I said in my post early today, the story mode is the only part of the game which seems inundated with forced Batmobile stuff, which there's a fair amount of. But if the Story Missions are, say, 20% of the game, and only two of the side missions (out of what, 12?) require the Batmobile, then more than half of the game doesn't actually need it at all.

I played for almost four hours last night and I was in the Mobile for about 15 minutes. Maybe 20. I had a phenomenal time just doing side missions and exploring the world, neither of which needed the Batmobile. Then I did a really long story mission, which only needed the car for 3-4 minutes at the end.

Alienous

Like I said in my post early today, the story mode is the only part of the game which seems inundated with forced Batmobile stuff, which there's a fair amount of. But if the Story Missions are, say, 20% of the game, and only two of the side missions (out of what, 12?) require the Batmobile, then more than half of the game doesn't actually need it at all.

I played for almost four hours last night and I was in the Mobile for about 15 minutes. Maybe 20. I had a phenomenal time just doing side missions and exploring the world, neither of which needed the Batmobile. Then I did a really long story mission, which only needed the car for 3-4 minutes at the end.

Having completed 93% of the game I'm sure you do more tank Batmobile stuff that any other single gameplay element in AK. It occurs frequently and often is far longer than a freeflow sceneario. Then there's a small amount predator, and little use of the pursuit mode Batmobile outside of navigating the city.

The tank Batmobile even has more challenge maps dedicated to it than freeflow or predator.

I have eleven side missions unlocked and like
four
of them are solely about being in the tank/batmobile. It looks like there are
fourteen
side missions. If one more of the ones I haven't unlocked involve the Batmobile, that means about a
third
of the side missions are Batmobile centric as well.

SomTervo

Having completed 93% of the game I'm sure you do more tank Batmobile stuff that any other single gameplay element in AK. It occurs frequently and often is far longer than a freeflow sceneario. Then there's a small amount predator, and little use of the pursuit mode Batmobile outside of navigating the city.

The tank Batmobile even has more challenge maps dedicated to it than freeflow or predator.

You've played more than me – so I trust you when you say that's your experience.

Although I do find it difficult to believe you spent so much time outwith the story missions in the Batmobile. Just trying to clear out the outposts, riddler puzzles, Penguin caches and Two-face bank robberies takes ages and is mostly non-batmobile.

You're definitely right that they dropped the ball with the challenge room balance. 70% Batmobile challenges is not on.

I have eleven side missions unlocked and like
four
of them are solely about being in the tank/batmobile. It looks like there are
fourteen
side missions. If one more of the ones I haven't unlocked involve the Batmobile, that means about a
third
of the side missions are Batmobile centric as well.

Interesting. I'm at work so couldn't count accurately, the above was IIRC.

Will wait till I finish the game before I weight in again.

The Batmobile-related side missions I can think of - Firefly (partially), Riddler (partially), mines, and APC chases - I found incredibly fun. Well, except the mine ones which are just repetitive tank battles. They're the only tank battles in the game I don't enjoy.

ironcreed

Banned
It's the strangest thing. I was enamoured with the game at the start, but as it progressed it started doing less and less of the things I love and more and more of the tank stuff, which isn't terrible but also definitely isn't what I come to an Arkham game for. And with the freeflow combat being tainted with too many mechanics (such as specific methods of defeating 5 unique different enemies) and 15 enemies to keep in mind at times I didn't even find that, the core of the gameplay, as fun as I did in Asylum, City or even Origins.

The game pulled it together nearer to the end for me, but with the lack of a decent challenge mode I'm really glad I only paid £5 for this and I'm a huge fan of the series.

Exactly. I got all settled in thinking it was going to be great and then it just fell off a cliff. But I am sticking it out for the story and because I paid $60 for it. I really can't wait to be done with it, to be honest.

DirtyLarry

I went to play for about an hour last night before dinner, was going to work on the story mode and wound up stumbling upon some Riddler guy to interrogate, and as I went to run his friends over with the batmobile, instead I
mistakenly wound up driving in a garage door that opened up some Riddler driving mini-game. The game even mentioned how I found the secret earlier than I was supposed to. So I Spent 30 or so minutes doing two different challenges, the latter of which I refused to stop playing until I got those 3 stars.
The amount of detail and little things in the city really is outstanding. This game, simply out, is just bad ass.

Alienous

You've played more than me – so I trust you when you say that's your experience.

Although I do find it difficult to believe you spent so much time outwith the story missions in the Batmobile. Just trying to clear out the outposts, riddler puzzles, Penguin caches and Two-face bank robberies takes ages and is mostly non-batmobile.

You're definitely right that they dropped the ball with the challenge room balance. 70% Batmobile challenges is not on.

I'm not saying the majority of the game. For the majority of the game you are just being Batman.

I'm talking about the modes of gameplay. I think you do more Batmobile tank combat than you do of freeflow (for the 2-3 minutes it will take each Penguin cache), or you do for predator (for the 4-5 minutes it will take for each Two-Face mission), or even the time it will take for most Riddler puzzle rooms. Freeflow comes close with the towers and road blocks, but that tends to take a lot less time than the tank battles they throw at you.

I might be wrong but it certainly felt like, other than time spent navigating the world, the thing I did most was Batmobile combat.

A question for those that've finished the game (SUPER ENDGAME SPOILER, BE WARNED)
How do you activate the "Knightfall Protocol", Batman keeps saying "I'll head to the GCPD rendezvous point...yet there's no marker or anything, even tried heading into the GCPD.

Alienous

A question for those that've finished the game (SUPER ENDGAME SPOILER, BE WARNED)
How do you activate the "Knightfall Protocol", Batman keeps saying "I'll head to the GCPD rendezvous point...yet there's no marker or anything, even tried heading into the GCPD.

It should be on the roof, near the Bat symbol.

Top Bottom