• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

How so? At least it's better than Origins ridiculous CSI, lets rewind the holographic images nonsense.

They have gone really really sci-fi. It almost feels cyberpunk at times.

Have you played it?

The Missing Persons missions where you have to scan the different layers of the body.

The security camera scrubbing looking for clues.

The other is kind of spoilery but is related to the "jump scare" mission.

There are others too related to the story progression

Sorry if it is too "CSI" for you....I mean similar stuff happens in the comics.

Uhhhhh...about that...

Those are in here too :(

To clarify I cancelled my pre-order of the PC version (GASP!) and am watching a Let's Play
Now, to respond to your comments... ugh, give me a break.

You may as well hand the series over to Platinum Games and go full on RULES OF NATURE!!!

Have you played it?

Watching a Let's Play. Hence why I am not commenting on the controls, only the presentation/graphics/story-telling
Tetra-Ninja to be specific and he's going through everything.

Have you played it?

The Missing Persons missions where you have to scan the different layers of the body.

The security camera scrubbing looking for clues.

The other is kind of spoilery but is related to the "jump scare" mission.

There are others too related to the story progression

Sorry if it is too "CSI" for you....I mean similar stuff happens in the comics.

Saw the Missing Persons one, those are good. And yes I know similar stuff is in the comics but here it's almost over-bearing
The comics have been on for 75 years and many stories have covered the full spectrum of Sherlock style to Star Wars Hologram style detective work

Alienous

Regarding the boss battles my biggest disappointment is (a boss who isn't in the game is in the tags)
the lack of a Killer Croc boss battle, especially as the final boss. I remember someone suggesting it on Reddit and I amped myself up for how cool that would be. Batman and Croc in water mixed with Scarecrow's fear toxin. Having to 360 degree dodge and attack Croc hallucinations that Batman would see. Directly facing Killer Croc, who would have been tortured by Scarecrow (for what Croc did to him in Asylum) and thus further mutated than what we see in City, in his own element. Seeing as this game respects Origins as canon it would also be an interesting symmetry, with Croc being the first and last boss in the series canonically.

To clarify I cancelled my pre-order of the PC version (GASP!) and am watching a Let's Play
Now, to respond to your comments... ugh, give me a break.

You may as well hand the series over to Platinum Games and go full on RULES OF NATURE!!!

Watching a Let's Play. Hence why I am not commenting on the controls, only the presentation/graphics/story-telling

.......okay. lol

nOoblet16

A certain section in a tunnel like area around 85% of story progression

Man was I glad to see the motherfuckin Batmobile get crushed by Arkham Knight !!
I feel like Rocksteady knew how much people would hate it so they crushed it and showed it with lots of detail haha

Wait... you didn't like detective stuff either? I always thought what people expect in that regard...

Edit: Do you even like Arkham saga? maybe your problem lies there...

VanWinkle

I'm honestly just loving this game so much. My first Arkham game and it just has such a cool feel to it. Visuals are mind-blowing, too.

Some screenshots I took. Sorry about terrible compression.

10549690_10155725790110626_2418888254015291764_o.jpg

1782388_10155725787245626_1241322135646015475_o.jpg

11416401_10155725786845626_7143164668084947515_o.jpg

I agree with Polygon (or was it Eurogamer?) who said that the loss of intimacy and Gothic mystery which has always been a huge element of the Batman comics has been a big loss for this series. Arkham Asylum was ripped straight out of Detective Comics (they always forget the Detective aspect!) but City and Knight especially are way too bombastic and over the top. Not to mention Batman is now being strung along like a common GTA protagonist instead of being proactive. Origins was half-and-half, kind of like TAS.

Eh, I love the detective aspect (comics and game) but, honestly, even the comics really aren't focused on it and haven't been in a long, long while. The events in City and Knight are no more bombastic than comics events like No Man's Land and Zero Year.

I'm only 1/3rd into the game, but I'm predicting
Talia 'Al Ghul
is the Arkham Knight.
It's the only person who knows Batman real well who isn't a Robin cuz doing another "Hush" storyline would be stupid.

YESS! Thats who I'm predicting as well. Plus.
Joker keeps bringing her up

Whide

Why are the PSN servers so slow? I'm downloading AK on PS4 and it literally says it will take 65 hours to download it. I've tried the DNS trick and modem resetting.

Wait... you didn't like detective stuff either? I always thought what people expect in that regard...

Edit: Do you even like Arkham saga? maybe your problem lies there...

Played the previous 3 and loved them. Rankings are: AA >> AC = AO
But AK just looks too... Call Of Duty with all the excessive tank combat and such

Arkham series best known for Combat and the voice acting from TAS. Nobody really cares about the detective stuff

Eh, I love the detective aspect (comics and game) but, honestly, even the comics really aren't focused on it and haven't been in a long, long while. The events in City and Knight are no more bombastic than comics events like No Man's Land and Zero Year.

Well I suppose the games are meant to emulate the multiple issue EVENTS that are eventually collected into a thick volume. Still, would have been interesting to see Slice of Life Batman ala TAS once. I recall it being kind of minimalist, not too many gadgets or wierd sci fi stuff. But see this was an opportunity to bring the detective stuff to the forefront, if too hard for regular gamer you could make them as easy as they are in the Phoenix Wright games

foxtrot3d

Banned
This particular section is probably what's going to lead to me not replaying this game. I've replayed Asylum and City every few months since those games came out, absolutely love'em, but all this tank shit in Knight is just too much. I actually love most of the Batmobile stuff, really enjoyed the Riddler challenges with it, love calling it in while I'm on the run and powersliding around corners at top speed and ejecting out of it like a mile into the air, but the arena tank battles just aren't fun after a certain point. You have to do it like twenty times in the main story alone, and then another twenty in side missions, and the first instance of it is exactly the same as the last except by the end you're facing way more enemies and more frustrating enemy types.

I finished the game last night and I'm honestly pretty disappointed, after being such a huge fan of Rocksteady's first two. That same magic is still there in a lot of places, and I love the ways they've updated all facets of Batmanning. AK is unquestionably an Asylum-to-City-sized leap, not just 'we made City again' like Origins was. But the endless tank battles are just such a drag, and the lack of any really good, unique bossfights like Mr Freeze's is a real shame. The side missions feel like Ubisoft-style mindless tasks to repeat over and over; chase a truck, fight some guys, tail a van, rescue a dude, do another tank battle. There are so few lengthy in-door areas in the vein of Asylum and City, and you keep revisiting the same ones over and over; it feels like they ran out of time or money at a certain point and just decided to pad the game out with more tank battles. Gotham itself just doesn't have that dense, tightly-designed feel, because it's intended to be blasted through at afterburner-speed, and all the streets are wide enough for impromptu tank skirmishes.

And, goddamn, why do all the character models still look awful? It was something I forgave in the first two games because I loved everything else about them so much, but after Origins' fantastic Batman model, Arkham Knight's cast just looks shitty. For all their specular-highlighting, depth-of-field, chromatic-aberration, particle-effects-out-the-ass graphics Batman still stands like a robot just like he did in 2009.

THIS x1000!

I've said it before, while I think the game is pretty great the past two Arkham games easily beat it. I HATE the notion that "bigger is better." I don't want Gotham to be 5x as big or even 3x as big because I know every time a developer increases the size of a game world that density and personal touch will be lost. AK suffers from this tremendously, everything about AC was intricately designed and incredibly dense. You had a tight distinctive free roam hub/city area that connected to your wonderfully designed "dungeons" under the control of each supervillain. Even more, those areas would change throughout the game depending on which supervillain had been taken out so that Two-Face thugs would invade Penguins museum and vice versa. The tight nature of the world meant that there was a secret behind every little corner and as a result you basically had the entire map memorized down to a T by the end of the game.

AK does not have this tightly designed, dense feeling. Everything is just bigger for the sake of being bigger and because of this a lot of the focus is lost, not just on a gameplay perspective but on a story perspective as well. None of the islands really stick out to me besides "Founder's Island" and that one only sticks out because of the huge "LEX Corp" and "Queen Industries" buildings I find interesting. And the amazing heights you can reach in this game makes the game world even bigger as it's not just massive horizontally but vertically as well. What this means is you end up spending even less time on the ground, a fact the game attempts to compensate by trying to force you to stick in the Batmobile. But, it just doesn't work. Add in the fact that you have very few in-door dungeon type areas and you just have a massive sprawl that, while bigger, feels empty. There isn't that same moment of screwing around in Arkham City and finding Scarecrow's hidden shipment, or stumbling upon Calendar Man in the Courthouse.

You mean you watched them?

No... I played the previous 3 on the PS3 before eventually going PC Mustard Race for Arkham Knight and then having to cancel the pre-order in a hurry because apparently the PC version was coded by an army of monkeys... who have a grudge against AMD...

You want to see my Trophy List as proof? I'm StationPunk on PSN

Just saw this on Twitter, has this been posted in here yet?

giphy.gif

BASED BATMAN!!

DYLANH24

Neo Member
So what content is out for the season pass so far?
Holding off on buying that for now. Got the Harley mission and scarecrow challenge pack as well as the new 52 and justice league 3000 with my copy, was curious as to what else is available

Drayco21

So what content is out for the season pass so far?
Holding off on buying that for now. Got the Harley mission and scarecrow challenge pack as well as the new 52 and justice league 3000 with my copy, was curious as to what else is available

Right now? Nothing. The pre-order DLC is part of the pass, but pass owners who didn't pre-order don't get it until the timed exclusivity wears out, so it's just $40 of waiting right now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Enjoying the Batmobile and tank action myself, I have to admit.

Also, playing on PS4 the game is pretty impressive technically. It's the polish. The point isn't that every square inch looks like the interior environments in The Order. It's the scale, the lack of loading, almost completely solid framerate, almost no texture pop-in in ways that are obvious.

PS4 titles have been from a technical standpoint surprisingly rough since launch. Common problems being bad framerates, frame pacing issues, long loading times, etc. For me only Driveclub has been as technologically polished as one would expect for the hardware. Now AK joins that tier.

VanWinkle

I love how the camera is always completely seamless going between cutscenes to gameplay to points of interest and so on. It's quite amazing.

sleepykyo

I can't stand the batmobile tank fights. A bunch of laser sights, explosions and lock signs really seems more like a Macross game than a Batman game (well until now). The amount of time it is simply Batman skulking about a room with a couple of grunts seems disportionately low to the amount of time clearing lobbies of double digit tanks, chasing down an apc or taking out a heli. Even the riddler sections have the batmobile in them. Oh and the tag team fights during Riddler sections. The vehicle may have been inspired by the Nolan version, but the overall game feels more inspired by Michael Bay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Also mfw I zipped onto a building and a certain character I wasn't expecting freaked the shit out of me
wide-eye-cat.jpg
This may have been one of the most effective jump scares in gaming history. Most games that do it have atmospheres that lead you to brace for a scare but this was just out of fucking nowhere.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'd just like to ask something -- are all of you who are SOOOOOO disappointed in this game even fans of open world Batman (Arkham City), or all of you either newcomers to the series and people who still amusingly think Asylum hasn't been toppled and never will? Seriously, I want to know.

Skunkers

No, 100% completion. Is there a way to check stats? I haven't seen it.

Yeah, I'm at 23 hours and eighty something percent completion. That's including a lot of side missions, i haven't barely started collecting Riddler trophies or solving riddles (though I have completed the Riddler racetrack missions). Still, 23 hours+ is a pretty good indicator of much much actual mission content there is, and I still have some left to go. And yes, the mission wheel does show your progress (and it changes and shows even more progress stats after you beat the story).

DrBo42

I'd just like to ask something -- are all of you who are SOOOOOO disappointed in this game even fans of open world Batman (Arkham City), or all of you either newcomers to the series and people who still amusingly think Asylum hasn't been toppled and never will? Seriously, I want to know.
Yes, I loved City.

I can't stand the batmobile tank fights. A bunch of laser sights, explosions and lock signs really seems more like a Macross game than a Batman game (well until now). The amount of time it is simply Batman skulking about a room with a couple of grunts seems disportionately low to the amount of time clearing lobbies of double digit tanks, chasing down an apc or taking out a heli. Even the riddler sections have the batmobile in them. Oh and the tag team fights during Riddler sections. The vehicle may have been inspired by the Nolan version, but the overall game feels more inspired by Michael Bay.

You should be able to perch on Gargoyles and then a prompt comes up... PRESS X TO BROOD. Brooding boosts your combo meter but decreases quickly once you stop brooding. So Brood before every fight for maximum efficiently and clear rooms quicker!!

Top Bottom