• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

E the Shaggy

I'd just like to ask something -- are all of you who are SOOOOOO disappointed in this game even fans of open world Batman (Arkham City), or all of you either newcomers to the series and people who still amusingly think Asylum hasn't been toppled and never will? Seriously, I want to know.

I feel like a lot of people got what they asked for with this, but are now regretting it.

Everyone complained about Arkham Origins being "more of the same", well, Arkham Knight gave you something different but I guess people didn't want that either.

The Batmobile is probably used a bit too much for its own good, but the alternative is just more of the same combat/style we've seen in the past three games with a few kinks thrown in for good measure.

In a nutshell, everyone wanted something different and they got it!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'd just like to ask something -- are all of you who are SOOOOOO disappointed in this game even fans of open world Batman (Arkham City), or all of you either newcomers to the series and people who still amusingly think Asylum hasn't been toppled and never will? Seriously, I want to know.

Very subtle.

sleepykyo

Unless the second half of this game involves the Batmobile getting wrecked (which it probably won't given the frequency with which it becomes a key element of the story), even (the non RS) Arkham Origins is better than this so far.

edit:
I feel like a lot of people got what they asked for with this, but are now regretting it.

Everyone complained about Arkham Origins being "more of the same", well, Arkham Knight gave you something different but I guess people didn't want that either.

The Batmobile is probably used a bit too much for its own good, but the alternative is just more of the same combat/style we've seen in the past three games with a few kinks thrown in for good measure.

The alternative would have been preferable for me. The game is like someone asked for a little more Tabasco sauce and the waiter just chucked the whole bottle in and drowned out all the other flavor in the process.

CryptiK

Holy shit. I just finished the Harley DLC in 15mins I wasn't rushing it at all either. The Batgirl and Red Hood DLC better not be like that it was terrible.

Drayco21

Holy shit. I just finished the Harley DLC in 15mins I wasn't rushing it at all either. The Batgirl and Red Hood DLC better not be like that it was terrible.

Red Hood is shorter and has less story. Batgirl, based on the trophies, seems more like the Arkham City Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC in size.

Neff

lol can anyone confirm this is real?

Yup.

4zIxyh.jpg

The End

So, silly question

I have the PS4 version. A friend who works at a publisher gave me a code he had, so I don't have the box or anything. What were the codes included in the box?

Were the scarecrow missions "DLC" or are they unlockable in the game?

I'm no disappointed with the gameplay, yes the batmobile is a little too prevalent but overall the gameplay is solid.

My problems with the game are

The utter lack of content in the side missions and the end game. What really disappoints me is how lazily they slapped together the 2nd half of the story. And what really makes me sad is the only thing we can actually calll boss fights are in the batmobile.

Even the Deathstroke fight is a carbon copy of that stupid Arkham Knight fight, but even easier.

It disappoints me that after they were working on this game for so long, the game on a whole is seriously lacking.

Imo, they did a better job with Arkham City

Drayco21

So, silly question

I have the PS4 version. A friend who works at a publisher gave me a code he had, so I don't have the box or anything. What were the codes included in the box?

Were the scarecrow missions "DLC" or are they unlockable in the game?

Scarecrow missions, the 60's Batmobile and the PS4 skin pack are DLC codes on a voucher in the box.

DrBo42

This is such a shit response to what everyone is saying. Not liking the batmobile's implementation /= people wanting something different and paying the price. Batmobile is kinda shit outside of traversal and puzzles for me personally, doesn't mean I wanted City all over again. They COULD have done something cool with it, they failed. How is that our fault?

ironcreed

Banned

Loved Asylum and loved City even more. This game is just not doing it for me. Simple as that.

CryptiK

Red Hood is shorter and has less story. Batgirl, based on the trophies, seems more like the Arkham City Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC in size.
How can Red Hood be shorter. What the actual fuck. I could have finished Harleys DLC in 10 mins if I didn't look around for shit(Which there is none btw). So what Red Hood is like one room of nothing? When does Red Hood release?

DieH@rd

Banned
Can I continue clearing the side activities after I beat main campaign?

I legit jumped when that happened. Was not expecting him to be in the game.

Same.

Bastard got me too in the middle of Riddler's flying time trial run. :D I was flying and rushing like mad when he jumped out. :D

Sanke__

Wait
do i have to do a ton of riddler missions to save catwoman?! I see 1/243 and yah no way. Or is it just a few.

the 243 refers to the riddler trophies you don't need any of those to save catwoman, just the main challenges riddler sends you to I think there are 10 like 6 bat mobile challenges and 4 challenge rooms

ced

Also mfw I zipped onto a building and a certain character I wasn't expecting freaked the shit out of me

Got me last night, if I'm thinking of what you are.

I think it was scripted though that the next building top you reach it happens at some point in the story. If it only happens on that one specific random building then that is really cool.

Yes to all the tank complaints, it's just not fun at all. I don't mind the batmobile otherwise.

Xux

How can Red Hood be shorter. What the actual fuck. I could have finished Harleys DLC in 10 mins if I didn't look around for shit(Which there is none btw). So what Red Hood is like one room of nothing? When does Red Hood release?
It's three challenge rooms with tiny cutscenes and loading screens inbetween.

slop101

Banned
I loved "City" (loved "Asylum" more, "Origins" was okay). And this game is fine, slightly better than Origins, but the tank stuff is so tedious, it knocks it down to Origins caliber for me.

jediyoshi

Hope they whip up generic challenge rooms that you can just pop into with any of the playable characters.

Shit, just port everything over from City.

GavinUK86

I loved "City" (loved "Asylum" more, "Origins" was okay). And this game is fine, slightly better than Origins, but the tank stuff is so tedious, it knocks it down to Origins caliber for me.

Origins is my favourite game in the series. This one sits between Asylum and City for me.

nOoblet16

What appears to be the very last mission

why is there a fist fight with enemies that have unblockable attacks in almost complete darkness? Ugghhh !! I swear this is infuriating !

EDIT: Ok so I can enter the Batmobile instead? Further makes me wonder what was the point of having Batmobile assisted combat if I can just enter the Batmobile lol

sleepykyo

Wait
do i have to do a ton of riddler missions to save catwoman?! I see 1/243 and yah no way. Or is it just a few.

You get a key or two each mission so it shouldn't be too many. Hope you like the Batmobile. Racing sequences for the Riddler. Screw this, Catwoman can die.

I believe the Batgirl: A Matter of Family & Batman: The Season of Infamy DLC will be actual fleshed out expansions going by how they are featured on the Season Pass details. The Harley Quinn & Red Hood DLC are in the Arkham Episodes which are stand alone side stories that just flesh out details. There should be more of those types of episodes going by the Season Pass details but they haven't said how many and who will be featured.

Trouble

Banned
I was not prepared for the number of jump scares so far in this game, lol.

Only a few hours in, but loving it so far. Game looks and plays great on the PS4. I'm sorta on the fence about the batmobile parts. I wish we could custom map the control scheme, because I'm not really thrilled with either option. I'm always hitting the wrong button for what I want to do. Makes those parts more of a chore than they could be otherwise.

I'm not "SOOOOOO disappointed" but I'm a bit underwhelmed. I loved AC, it's my favorite Arkham game and in my top 5 of last gen and I've spent countless hours with it (100%ed the game on two platforms).
The areas where I find AK falls short:

- the tank sections aren't very good. They're not hard or anything, just not very interesting, with 2 main weapons and 3 specials, there isn't really room for variety. This wouldn't be an issue if you didn't get so many of them in the last third of the story. But the way they're designed, they do stand out.

- the combat mechanics feel off. Id say it's because at some point, you're expected to use more quick gadgets than in previous games while having lost some of the crowd control options you had in AC (and AO IIRC). Meanwhile, mechanics like environmental takedowns don't work very well as their auto-detect zone is broken.
In the end, fights flow less well than in AA or AC (AO combat already had more weight to it).

- predator map designs are good but the mechanics themselves still feel off to me. Typically, the game now seems to rely more on gadgets and less on environment and positioning.

- not a fan of half the side stuff, which feels very formulaic without any kind of vaguely interesting story.

Overall it's still a beautiful and very good game but yeah, it hasn't clicked for me as much as I hoped it would. Part of it is that some of the things I liked in previous games (combat and predator) aren't as good or prominent.

Davide

Loving everything about this game so far. And I disliked City and had to force myself to get into Origins. It feels like the closest thing there's been to a good successor to Asylum.

Wouldn't want to play this game without the Batmobile.

Nope, I entirely disagree.
It made complete sense that once he was unmasked he would have to put away the Cowl. Batman works as a faceless symbol, as a means to strike fear into the hearts of the criminal underworld. By robbing him of his secret identity Scarecrow robbed the fear factor inherent in Batman. Now, everyone knows that Bruce Wayne the playboy billionaire is in fact just a screwed up rich kid who goes around beating people up. He no longer that faceless symbol that criminals fled from and the story within the game world media becomes less about Batman and more about Bruce Wayne.

Batman cannot simply be a man.

This still makes absolutely no sense to me though.
Like I said, Batman can keep doing exactly what he's doing. How are people going to just stop being afraid of him if he isn't any less capable of beating them up/ bringing them in/ otherwise wrecking their shit?

And what does the whole "he's a symbol" thing even mean? Clearly none of the villians think much of him when they're always right back to committing crimes after they've escaped jail or whatever. If the existence of Batman was a crime deterrent I could see that argument, but it's plain as day it's not.

Plus (100% ending spoilers)
Batman's successor keeps the Bat motif, so again it's obvious that the Batman brand isn't negatively affected too much. And at that point, what does it matter who is behind the new mask?

I still think Asylum is the best game, but that doesn't mean there wasn't room for improvement there either(boss battles, pacing near the end of the game, combat, etc.)

It's not disappointing because of how great Asylum was/is, it's disappointing because the Arkham Knight completely fails to live up to its potential. There is lot to like with the atmosphere, traversal and even the combat(to a certain extent), but other parts of the game are very flawed and put a hamper on your experience.

The fact that there is significantly more Batmobile filler than Fear/Predator combat is simply bewildering. This is with out even mentioning the piss poor sidequests, terrible encounter design towards the latter parts of the game, plot, voice acting and world emptiness.

I guess tank battles are for people what Titans battles in Asylum were for me, I don't even consider Asylum a great game, just a good one mainly because of the story. Arkham City and so far Knight are so much better to me.

Tastes.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is the ultimate Badass Simulator, holy shit it's so cool.

Seeing a cop get chased by two cars, jump in the Batmobile, chase down and shoot the two cars off the road. Cop thanks me over the radio as I jump out and beat the shit out of the thugs who just crawled out of the burning wreck.

So cool. And the music, good lord.

Maybe minor spoilers regarding post-game content, nothing too big but spoiling just in case anyone is on complete media black out.
Is there anyway to free-roam the city with another character the way you could with Catwoman in City?

RobbieNick

This may have been one of the most effective jump scares in gaming history. Most games that do it have atmospheres that lead you to brace for a scare but this was just out of fucking nowhere.

It was brilliant. They must've put in code for when you'd be zipping to a roof at an angle like that to start that scene.

I agree with Polygon (or was it Eurogamer?) who said that the loss of intimacy and Gothic mystery which has always been a huge element of the Batman comics has been a big loss for this series. Arkham Asylum was ripped straight out of Detective Comics (they always forget the Detective aspect!) but City and Knight especially are way too bombastic and over the top. Not to mention Batman is now being strung along like a common GTA protagonist instead of being proactive. Origins was half-and-half, kind of like TAS.

Can we have a Batman game from the guys who made Sherlock Holmes: Crime & Punishment? They can outsource combat encounters to Rocksteady but the rest can be all storytelling and character building and of course actual crime solving. Low budget, day in the life of The Batman kind of deal.
Rocksteady's tone has always been at odd with the awful aesthetics of the game. They're aiming for some gross, roided-out Gears of War look to it, but all the characters are written as if they're bad Animated Series knockoffs. And that isn't a knock on TAS, which I love, and which has a coherent aesthetic and tone these games lack. It's just a weird mish-mash of gritty and goofy.

Origins was superior in this respect (and better at presenting Batman as the world's greatest detective, even if that didn't translate into actually good detective gameplay), but the writing in these games in general has been disappointing and derivative.

Grisby

So how do you jump on cars? Saw that in a gif floating around here and have been aching to do it. Is it just put of a mission?

Alienous

The Scarecrow Nightmare PS4 exclusive mission DLC should have been integrated into the main campaign.

There is really no excuse.

nOoblet16

Almost done...I can do this and get over with the stupid main story. Last mission details.
The side missions are better imo

Ofcourse it's a tank fight..what else could it be???
With 58 tanks to boot...yes fun !
Someone must've thought " oh man let's pump it up for the last mission and make it as less fun as possible like every game seems to be doing but we'll kick it up a notch by using our most overused gameplay mechanic...the fuckin Tank !"

Haines

Banned
Just got this in the mail. Haven't followed anything except I heard people complain about the bat mobile.

Is there any reason I should wait for a patch before playing? Anything else I should know like certain setting etc?

I hope I like this game, this is the first page I've read and I see people saying they don't like it?

GeeTeeCee

As an complete and total coward, the number of people mentioning jump scares has me alarmed.

Stepping out into the middle of the street, pressing a button, and seeing the Batmobile speeding towards you will never get old to me.

Edit: Something I just remembered: have the leaderboards not been showing up for anyone else? They were on the first day I played the game, but not since.

Alienous

From what I've seen of the Red Hood DLC (scenario spoilers)
it is basically four challenge maps. Harley Quinn's DLC is also basically that, but it's connected by rooms in between the sections. In the Red Hood DLC you do freeflow combat, then when that is completed you transition to a predator room, then those two things happen again. There are no interstitial rooms, which explains it being shorter. There is a cutscene at the end, though.

Top Bottom