• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Genuinely was terrified when (side mission spoiler)
Man Bat introduces himself.
Did not see it coming at all, fantastic moment. Loving this game a whole lot so far.

Should I get this? The Jim Sterling review was pretty negative. I don't think the driving sections look fun (especially with those physics). I skipped Origins, and I think I overall preferred Asylum to City as far as the actual gameplay (and Riddler challenges) go.

Alienous

Should I get this? The Jim Sterling review was pretty negative. I don't think the driving sections look fun, I skipped Origins, and I think I overall preferred Asylum to City as far as the actual gameplay (and Riddler challenges) go.

I think it would make for a great rental. Beyond that, eh.

That said it's a game you should experience, especially if you played Asylum and City. And I think the first couple of hours are great.

This is my opinion having gotten 93% completion of the game, and completed many of the remarkably small amount of challenge maps.

So how do you jump on cars? Saw that in a gif floating around here and have been aching to do it. Is it just put of a mission?

You have to hit the paunch button after gliding above a moving car. It's contextual, and sometimes you'll land on the hood, or the roof.

You can also run in front of a car and "counter" it. Batman'll launch some explosive gel at the car as it passes and detonate it a moment later.

I think it would make for a great rental. Beyond that, eh.

That said it's a game you should experience, especially if you played Asylum and City. And I think the first couple of hours are great.

This is my opinion having gotten 93% completion of the game, and completed many of the remarkably small amount of challenge maps.
That's actually really helpful. Thank you! Do the challenges seem really lacking compared to vanilla Arkham City (before they added all the DLC characters?)?

ok.... this game is just broken (PS4 version).... my console just freezed on me which forced me to force shut it down, by unplugging the socket !!!

Anyone else had problems with the PS4 version of the game ?

ok.... this game is just broken (PS4 version).... my console just freezed on me which forced me to force shut it down, by unplugging the socket !!!

Has that happened a lot? I think that's common when the game is technically advanced. Witcher 3 does that to me all the time, and even playing the game makes my PS4 sound like it's having a seizure with how high the fan gets.

antitrop

Just finished my first two hours with the game. My mouth was either wide open or tightened to the widest smile for 95% of that.

Sensory overload of awesome

Alienous

That's actually really helpful. Thank you! Do the challenges seem really lacking compared to vanilla Arkham City (before they added all the DLC characters?)?

Quite significantly. There are about
-4-
challenge maps per section of gameplay ignoring the tutorial maps (so that means
-4-
freeflow combat maps,
-4-
predator maps,
-4-
batmobile races and
-4-
tank batmobile challenge maps). And I don't find the challenge maps as fun as in Asylum, City or Origins.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I frequently find myself just standing on rooftops, panning the camera around, and just soaking up the atmosphere. The rainpour and the architecture it's enveloping along with the verticality of the city are absolutely gorgeous to me.

I'm also not as sour as most are when it comes to the Batmobile. It's still my least favorite addition to the game, but the overall game is almost on par with The Witcher 3 as far as being my favorite game this year. Only other games this year I can see coming close are Halo 5, MGS V, Hitman and Battlefront 3.

Quite significantly. There are about
-4-
challenge maps per section of gameplay ignoring the tutorial maps (so that means
-4-
freeflow combat maps,
-4-
predator maps,
-4-
batmobile races and
-4-
tank batmobile challenge maps). And I don't find the challenge maps as fun as in Asylum, City or Origins.
Ah, well that's a bit of a shame. Thanks for the info!

Grisby

You have to hit the paunch button after gliding above a moving car. It's contextual, and sometimes you'll land on the hood, or the roof.

You can also run in front of a car and "counter" it. Batman'll launch some explosive gel at the car as it passes and detonate it a moment later.
Yeah, did the counter deal and it was pretty neat.

I will unleash a paunch the next time I'm flying high.

I finished the game and now I'm going through the AR challenges.There are two batmobile combat challenges that I can't unlock (Natural Selection & Slumdog Billionaire). I looked at several guides and apparently they should have been unlocked automatically during the story. Did anyone encounter this ?

Has that happened a lot? I think that's common when the game is technically advanced. Witcher 3 does that to me all the time, and even playing the game makes my PS4 sound like it's having a seizure with how high the fan gets.

Twice..... this is the first time ever that my PS4 freezed on me and I had to unplug it !

As an complete and total coward, the number of people mentioning jump scares has me alarmed.

Stepping out into the middle of the street, pressing a button, and seeing the Batmobile speeding towards you will never get old to me.

Edit: Something I just remembered: have the leaderboards not been showing up for anyone else? They were on the first day I played the game, but not since.

The game has managed to make me jump a few times and it's almost always unexpected. Seeing a bunch of thugs scatter as you get in the never gets old.

Xemnas89

Just finished the main story. I loved it all the way through but the last hour was some incredible stuff. I always liked asylum the best but after this I think with the exception of a couple parts I like Arkham Knight best now. Just really gives off the feeling of being Batman. Sad that this is Rocksteady's last Batman game but I'm excited to see what they do next.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Game crashed twice for me and crashed my PS4 too. Fans get loud when I boot the game up but settle down soon after.

Munki

Purchased the game last night (X1).

This game is fuckin amazing.

Performance wise, as others have previously stated the only hiccups I experienced were during bat-mobile sequences.

foxtrot3d

Banned
This still makes absolutely no sense to me though.
Like I said, Batman can keep doing exactly what he's doing. How are people going to just stop being afraid of him if he isn't any less capable of beating them up/ bringing them in/ otherwise wrecking their shit?

And what does the whole "he's a symbol" thing even mean? Clearly none of the villians think much of him when they're always right back to committing crimes after they've escaped jail or whatever. If the existence of Batman was a crime deterrent I could see that argument, but it's plain as day it's not.

Plus (100% ending spoilers)
Batman's successor keeps the Bat motif, so again it's obvious that the Batman brand isn't negatively affected too much. And at that point, what does it matter who is behind the new mask?

Well,
first off since he's been revealed they can directly go against his loved ones or his estate personally. Second, if you just fly around Gotham post-reveal you can hear the reactions from the thugs noting how they are less "scared" of him. One of them basically spells out the whole point that Batman was an unstoppable force of nature before but how now he's kinda lame. Just think of all those horror movies that tease the reveal of the monster, the scary part is always the tease never the ultimate revelation. Batman being just a man change the narrative to Bruce Wayne instead of Batman.

That said, I read a Youtube comment that suggested that the ending is Bruce Wayne fully becoming Batman. The Knightfall Protocol destroyed "Bruce Wayne" thus allowing him to become Batman full-time . He now uses Scarecrow's fear toxin as part of his suit to further instill fear in his enemies and mask his identity. It's an interesting theory but I do hate the ambiguous nature of the ending, mainly Bruce Wayne's conclusion not the identity of the "new" Batman.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not enought people have completed the Perfect Crime quest line, it seems. Some seriously disturbing shit at the end. Definitely felt like a successor to the Hush missions from City.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought it was a total blast.

I don't like the Batmobile combat sections, but the driving is ridiculously exhilarating.
The tank combat gets more fun as you go on and upgrade. It has a rhythm to it that's really neat, especially once you can start doing the crits with the vulcan regularly and use the secondaries more often. The driving is a hell of a lot of fun the whole way through.

CryptiK

Endgame side mission spoilers
Deathstroke fight is a fucking tank battle fucking hell RS what the fuck were you thinking

Sober

- the combat mechanics feel off. Id say it's because at some point, you're expected to use more quick gadgets than in previous games while having lost some of the crowd control options you had in AC (and AO IIRC). Meanwhile, mechanics like environmental takedowns don't work very well as their auto-detect zone is broken.
In the end, fights flow less well than in AA or AC (AO combat already had more weight to it).
Is it just because of more enemy types? You have pretty much the exact same gadgets but there is some more CC involved. A few things came to mind that sorta retuned combat from AC / AO:

- charging dudes can sometimes come from offscreen I found, it's a little annoying
- getting grabbed sorta stops your rhythm but it's not a huge deal
- medics bringing dudes back or charging them, forcing a batclaw shot to diffuse them
- explosive gel nerfed considerably? It's not a ground shot you can fire and lure thugs into, it just does a piddly explosion at a target, haven't tested it myself extensively, doesn't seem to hit a lot of people anymore without an upgrade
- brutes replaced armoured dudes, they seem to sort of ignore timing and have a bunch more reach on attacks, so you have to be quicker on hitting counter/evade. same point, not sure if they changed the counter window or not or just because brutes swing just as fast as regular thugs
- because armoured dudes got taken out, you can't do easy CC like quickfire REC to knock back a huge group, and brutes take 2 instant takedowns to KO, but I found they have a LONG iframe window when you beatdown on them before people try to come up and attack you
- I feel like sword blade attacks have gotten faster and harder to counter because of the timing, or maybe I haven't touched AC/AO in a long while
- disarm + destroy is locked under quick a lot of waynetech points, so you're sort of forced to deal with weapon threats for longer
- guns show up in combat arenas encounters (they sorta dialed back on this in AC from AA). unlike in AA/AC, the warning for a gun being loaded (the click-clack sound) seems really quiet so it can get lost in the shuffle
- freeflow gadget is walled off by separate upgrades instead of one, also freeflow focus is quite a handful of upgrade points

Basically because I think more combat/quickfire gadget/gadget upgrades are walled off you don't hit your peak efficiency throughout the game. And without combat maps you might not run into many more mixed groups after clearing out the spots you need to get upgrade points, because in the open world the only respawning combat groups are local thugs and not mixed militia troops who usually show up with more variety.

Also there are no proper challenge maps so sometimes you're forced to fight a dozen people in a really small space (think like most of the combat encounters for the firemen rescue sidequest), mostly mixed weapons with a brute or medic or something thrown in later in the game and the camera doesn't help there in tight spaces.

I laugh when people mention "hey, nice suit" or other lines like that after you get the
upgraded Batsuit
near the beginning of the game. I know they are talking about that one but since I never wear it it seems like they are talking about the various DLC skins I keep using (mainly Justice League 3000).

Kaswa101

I love this game lol. Holy crap the ending sequence alone puts it on top of City and Asylum imo. I wasn't a big fan of Origins but Knight has been excellent for me so far. Can't wait to see what the
Knightfall protocol
is. :)

Alienous

Is it just because of more enemy types? You have pretty much the exact same gadgets but there is some more CC involved. A few things came to mind that sorta retuned combat from AC / AO:

- charging dudes can sometimes come from offscreen I found, it's a little annoying
- getting grabbed sorta stops your rhythm but it's not a huge deal
- medics bringing dudes back or charging them, forcing a batclaw shot to diffuse them
- explosive gel nerfed considerably? It's not a ground shot you can fire and lure thugs into, it just does a piddly explosion at a target, haven't tested it myself extensively, doesn't seem to hit a lot of people anymore without an upgrade
- brutes replaced armoured dudes, they seem to sort of ignore timing and have a bunch more reach on attacks, so you have to be quicker on hitting counter/evade. same point, not sure if they changed the counter window or not or just because brutes swing just as fast as regular thugs
- because armoured dudes got taken out, you can't do easy CC like quickfire REC to knock back a huge group, and brutes take 2 instant takedowns to KO, but I found they have a LONG iframe window when you beatdown on them before people try to come up and attack you
- I feel like sword blade attacks have gotten faster and harder to counter because of the timing, or maybe I haven't touched AC/AO in a long while
- disarm + destroy is locked under quick a lot of waynetech points, so you're sort of forced to deal with weapon threats for longer
- guns show up in combat arenas encounters (they sorta dialed back on this in AC from AA). unlike in AA/AC, the warning for a gun being loaded (the click-clack sound) seems really quiet so it can get lost in the shuffle
- freeflow gadget is walled off by separate upgrades instead of one, also freeflow focus is quite a handful of upgrade points

Basically because I think more combat/quickfire gadget/gadget upgrades are walled off you don't hit your peak efficiency throughout the game. And without combat maps you might not run into many more mixed groups after clearing out the spots you need to get upgrade points, because in the open world the only respawning combat groups are local thugs and not mixed militia troops who usually show up with more variety.

Also there are no proper challenge maps so sometimes you're forced to fight a dozen people in a really small space (think like most of the combat encounters for the firemen rescue sidequest), mostly mixed weapons with a brute or medic or something thrown in later in the game and the camera doesn't help there in tight spaces.

Yeah. Having more enemies and having unique enemies that require a very specific method to take down is a mix that makes the combat a lot less 'free-flowing'. A lot of the core purity it had in the previous games in the series is lost.

Daft_Cat

I can't remember the last time I bought a game that didn't crash on me at least once or twice. Concluding that the game is outright broken seems a bit harsh.

Its kinda funny that they fixed the proportions/looks of the Arkham City suit only to stick us in the horrible Arkham Knight suit* for 99% of the game.

*basic design is fine but the proportions among other things like the head/cowl are horrendous.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Genuinely was terrified when (side mission spoiler)
Man Bat introduces himself.
Did not see it coming at all, fantastic moment. Loving this game a whole lot so far.

Anyone know if he continues to jump out at you throughout the game? Right now I'm kinda spooked to go on rooftops and have just decided to keep my ass in the Batmobile. lol

nOoblet16

Its kinda funny that they fixed the proportions/looks of the Arkham City suit only to stick us in the horrible Arkham Knight suit* for 99% of the game.

*basic design is fine but the proportions among other things like the head/cowl are horrendous.

When Batman removes his mask it's hilarious to see how tiny his head is compared to his body.

I wouldn't say I'm super disappointed with the game, it still gets a 7.5/10 I'd say, and most of that deduction is because of the Batmobile and the bosses.

It's not that the Batmobile isn't a welcome addition or that it isn't super awesome, because it definitely is, but it's disappointing that the majority of the game revolves around it. Almost every mission involves it in some way and it's integrated in the majority of the puzzles and boss fights - I would have preferred if it was just a neat addition and didn't have the game designed around it.

The boss fights are god awful. Arkham has never had great bosses outside of Mr. Freeze (although I do have a soft spot for the first Bane fight in Origins), but wow these bosses are ludicrously bad. I have about an hour left of the story to go through, but there's only been a small handful of bosses and all but one involves the Batmobile. These boss battles don't feel like you're playing Batman - they feel like you're playing Armored Core for most and Need for Speed for some others.

The best new addition IMO is the dual battles. Not only are they really Batman-y but they're lots of fun to play. Unfortunately they're piss easy and there's just a handful of these as well.

Story is both poor yet intriguing at the same time.

Zakalwe

Banned

Proportions are fine, looking at it in game right now.

It's heavily armoured, it's going to make him look bigger.

Alienous

I wouldn't say I'm super disappointed with the game, it still gets a 7.5/10 I'd say, and most of that deduction is because of the Batmobile and the bosses.

It's not that the Batmobile isn't a welcome addition or that it isn't super awesome, because it definitely is, but it's disappointing that the majority of the game revolves around it. Almost every mission involves it in some way and it's integrated in the majority of the puzzles and boss fights - I would have preferred if it was just a neat addition and didn't have the game designed around it.

The boss fights are god awful. Arkham has never had great bosses outside of Mr. Freeze (although I do have a soft spot for the first Bane fight in Origins), but wow these bosses are ludicrously bad. I have about an hour left of the story to go through, but there's only been a small handful of bosses and all but one involves the Batmobile. These boss battles don't feel like you're playing Batman - they feel like you're playing Armored Core for most and Need for Speed for some others.

The best new addition IMO is the dual battles. Not only are they really Batman-y but they're lots of fun to play. Unfortunately they're piss easy and there's just a handful of these as well.

Story is both poor yet intriguing at the same time.

I did like those. Those sections felt the closest to the freeflow combat of the previous games, probably because your AI buddy would handle some of the large amount of enemies the game throws at you, allowing you to be a bit more deliberate and stylish about how you fight.

I'd of much rather they built the game around the buddy mechanic rather than about the Batmobile. Those were a highlight.

The suits are so damn sexy. I need MOAR

guys just give it to me straight - is Catwoman in this game at all? Can we play as her again?

She is...she gets kidnapped by The Riddler and you have to save her...various times you'll have to team up with her and do puzzles/fight enemies...you can switch back and forth between characters in those moments and do dual takedowns as well when the meter is filled

Top Bottom