• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Staf

You are forced into it in many times, but in variations of puzzles, chases and tank battles.

I love it personally, but it seems like one of the most divisive aspects of any game in recent years, which is also a dealbreaker for a lot of people on this game.

Ah, man... That really bums me out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
got into the game a ways last night...

really don't get any of the batmobile hate. Like literally not a single bit of it.

open world driving is fine. neither amazing nor awful. default controls are blah (who puts brake on []??? really!!!)

bat-tank was surprisingly fun. it goes into tank mode and I think "oh shit.... let's see how bad it is" and instead "oh wow. This isn't bad and opens up something else to do in game."

You disappoint me critics. For all the crying and complaining over the tank, you end up coming off as a bunch of whiny babies saying nothing more than "keep your new stuff out of my game!!!!! I only want the old stuff!!"

Just did the first sequence with the Batmobile, so this may not be fair, but i really hope you are not forced into it again. That shit is not fun.

??? /boggle like what wasn't fun? I mean it wasn't like "greatest thing evar!!!!!" but it was basically harmless open world driving gameplay. tank is basically simple third person shooter gameplay. Again, not mind blowing but really harmless and certainly not a chore, broken, or annoying.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
To set aside all the nagging in this thread about the Batmobile and how horrible it is for a second, could someone give me some tips? Not understanding how to score high on the Tank AR challenges. I realize there's a critical bonus, but what does that come from? How do you score criticals? Also, even if I kill all the tanks without getting hit WITH a few critical chains, I still get one star. What gives?

I like everything so far batmobile included. I'm an ace at shooting the purple cores.

The walking I hate though specially in small rooms. It's either walk slow as fuck or run.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
??? /boggle like what wasn't fun? I mean it wasn't like "greatest thing evar!!!!!" but it was basically harmless open world driving gameplay. tank is basically simple third person shooter gameplay. Again, not mind blowing but really harmless and certainly not a chore, broken, or annoying.

It's just not fun. And there is a battle with 40 tanks later on, it's just dull and I'd rather be doing more predator rooms or investigations.

I asked on the last page but at the end,so.. Are there any retailer specific bonuses if you buy there? Not pre-order bonuses but just extra content in general? Or does it matter where you buy it now?

I'm really early in the game but so far it seems like Batman is slower, especially while gliding. I'm not sure if I'm digging the Batmobilie as it relates to the world size. However, I am really early in the game so maybe I just need to "git gud".

Staf

It might just be me i don't find shooters and driving games enjoyable. What i'm looking for in a Batman game is crawling in vents taking down enemies silently and the general hand to hand combat.

I have only myself to blame though, haven't followed the development of this game at all and basically bought it blind. Knew the Batmobile was a thing though, just figured it was optional while the main focusing being similar to Asylum/City.

But i haven't played very much so far so it is too early to judge.

Future

I'm really early in the game but so far it seems like Batman is slower, especially while gliding. I'm not sure if I'm digging the Batmobilie as it relates to the world size. However, I am really early in the game so maybe I just need to "git gud".

You'll get upgrades for everything through perks. I think he is actually faster than he's ever been gliding through the city

Question about the story, a couple hours in during the Ace Chemical Plant section...

When the Joker pops up, is that an effect of the toxin? He is in Batman's head right? Is it because Batman got exposed to the toxin since nobody else seems to see the Joker?

You'll get upgrades for everything through perks. I think he is actually faster than he's ever been gliding through the city

Maybe it's the scale of the city that is throwing me off. I felt like I could get anywhere in Arkham City in a few moments. It has been a long time since I played Arkham City so I could be mistaken.

0racle

Question about the story, a couple hours in during the Ace Chemical Plant section...

When the Joker pops up, is that an effect of the toxin? He is in Batman's head right? Is it because Batman got exposed to the toxin since nobody else seems to see the Joker?

Correct.... Lol it could not be anymore obvious haha

Maybe it's the scale of the city that is throwing me off. I felt like I could get anywhere in Arkham City in a few moments. It has been a long time since I played Arkham City so I could be mistaken.

The gliding speed is much faster in AK, its just the world is a lot larger.

pahamrick

Mid-late game spoilers, I guess. Not sure how far I am.

DC/Rocksteady really hate Batgirl/Barbara Gordon don't they? Holy shit.

Didn't see that coming.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm enjoying the batmobile stuff so far but I can see it grating early on. Mobility is fine, I like the shootbang, and driving the streets has a satisfying sensation of speed.

Without knowing how the rest of the game pans out, I suspect the fundamental cause of concern with the batmobile among Arkham fans is the simple fact that it's not particularly coherent with the series evolution and development of game systems that fans have become accustomed to. Which is to say that no matter how well it plays or how frequently it's used, it's completely different as a game system compared to everything else Arkham and operates as its own contextual thing.

So if you're not a fan of the batmobile stuff simply for what it is, and that's fine because it's an added system rather than an evolved one, you're pretty much fucked. It'll forever be a lingering frustration and disappointment within the design.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm enjoying the batmobile stuff so far but I can see it grating early on. Mobility is fine, I like the shootbang, and driving the streets has a satisfying sensation of speed.

Without knowing how the rest of the game pans out, I suspect the fundamental cause of concern with the batmobile among Arkham fans is the simple fact that it's not particularly coherent with the series evolution and development of game systems that fans have become accustomed to. Which is to say that no matter how well it plays or how frequently it's used, it's completely different as a game system compared to everything else Arkham and operates as its own contextual thing.

So if you're not a fan of the batmobile stuff simply for what it is, and that's fine because it's an added system rather than an evolved one, you're pretty much fucked. It'll forever be a lingering frustration and disappointment within the design.

Well said. And I do agree that just driving it around feels great. But just wait until you get into waves of repetitive and tedious tank drone battles, platforming with it, etc. This stuff killed the game for me.

Future

Sometimes you will see a wind trail underneath his cape. This happens when you dive downward for a sec and pull up, or mash and hold x while grappling. The latter can be upgraded at which point you can increase height too and pretty much fly. Things 1000+ meters away you get to in about 10 seconds and is pretty close to the Arkham city feel imo. After the upgrades

nOoblet16

got into the game a ways last night...

really don't get any of the batmobile hate. Like literally not a single bit of it.

open world driving is fine. neither amazing nor awful. default controls are blah (who puts brake on []??? really!!!)

bat-tank was surprisingly fun. it goes into tank mode and I think "oh shit.... let's see how bad it is" and instead "oh wow. This isn't bad and opens up something else to do in game."

You disappoint me critics. For all the crying and complaining over the tank, you end up coming off as a bunch of whiny babies saying nothing more than "keep your new stuff out of my game!!!!! I only want the old stuff!!"

You probably should play the game a bit more before you say such stuff.
Majority of the complaint is based on the opinion people form near the end of the game considering how much of it the game throws at you..about how a new mechanic in an established franchise not only becomes the dominating mechanic but also a mechanic so overused that it wears out thin.

I really would like if people who say stuff like "I don't understand where the complaints are coming from" would play the game to near completion to see where the people who are complaining about are coming from. It's the tank battles that people hate, not the pursuit mode which seems to be fun more or less (despite the sometimes awful camera angles that pulls out and makes the camera static so that your car turns independently of the camera for the time it's zoomed out). There is no difference between your first tank battle and the last tank battle at all...it's the definition of more of the same. You do it more than anything else in the entire game, it sidelines the really fun stuff like predator mode and detective mode by a considerable margin. Change for the sake of change is not good change.

Future

Well said. And I do agree that just driving it around feels great. But just wait until you get into waves of repetitive and tedious tank drone battles, platforming with it, etc. This stuff killed the game for me.

Those tank fights go on forever too. With tanks requiring tons of hits, tons of gameplay tidbits that slow you down as the tank gets more capable (don't want to spoil, by almost every bat mobile combat edition just slows things down and doesn't speed anything up at all!)

Plus it's really easy to miss shots. They don't assist aim much if at all so you can fire and miss frequently and have to wait for the slow reload. I can see why some people hate it

Alienous

I can only fire at mostly static vehicles and play the 'dodge the lines' minigame for so long before it becomes tedium incarnate. It is what it is. It isn't terrible but there isn't much to it in the way of strategy or thinking. I'm pretty sure I turned my brain off for most of the battles being so focused on dodging lines and finding the next tank to destroy.

On the other hand the Batman combat has become so overwrought with elements and unique ways of defeating a plethora of foes, foes which often number at above a dozen, that I'd say it requires too much strategy and thinking, thus making it feels less 'flowy' and fun than the combat in City or Origins.

I like everything so far batmobile included. I'm an ace at shooting the purple cores.

The walking I hate though specially in small rooms. It's either walk slow as fuck or run.

By pretty much my third tank battle I had it down to a science. There's nothing really difficult about firing at the 'heads' of the tank with your main cannon, and using your secondary cannon between main cannon shots.

Catdaddy

I switched the Batmobile controls and now it seems to be more manageable, still feels light to drive but seem to be getting more and more use to it. At least most of the environment is destructible, gives it some fun when I'm sliding wide around corners.

Kabuto

I've been playing nonstop since release. I'm at 91% completion and finished everything except Riddler's collectibles. Game is easily best in the series, except for the performance issues. Here are some thoughts I have of the game:

- The length of the campaign is crazy and I love it. It's much longer than the previous Arkham games.

- The Batmobile is such a nice addition and the bomb removal side-quests with it are one of my favorite parts of the game. It controls great and I liked the change in gameplay when I had to use it in the campaign.

-Voice acting and dialogue is sooo good. The banter between Batman and the supervillains after you capture them in the Batmobile and the jail cell is really funny.

- The post game appearance of
Slade
completely surprised me. I was not expecting
him
in the game at all.

- I played on PC. Other than some bad frame drops, textures, and graphical glitches, I think it's playable. Should definitely be better though.

slop101

Banned
Agreed. Would love an update that lets you skip the tank stuff.

Skilletor

Played it for about an hour.

Game is gorgeous as all hell.

I really, really, really hate the damn batmobile. Getting out of this thing as soon as fucking possible.

Keep on playing. You can go much further and much faster than in any game in the series.

Personally, it saved the experience for me. I had no desire to even play this game thinking it would be another Arkham City on a much grander scale and more of the same. I was utterly burnt out from the series by the end of City. I had mastered the combat and 100% both Asylum and City and felt there was no way they could convince me to do it a third time. It added a much needed level of variety to keep my attention.

The noise around how the game emphasis the Batmobile is far more annoying to me the its inclusion ha ha. I spent 3 hours last night on a story arc while chasing down scarecrow that had no or very little batmobile stuff. It accounted for about 7% of the storyline.

Bullitus

Anyone actually able to get the game to connect to PSN?

On release day it connected just fine but after that it's been broken.

I'm also having trouble accessing my DLC. I have the Scarecrow missions, PS Exclusive skins, Harley Quinn missions and the New 52 skin pack but only Harley's missions and the New 52 skins show up in the game. I've tried everything but nothing works.

foxtrot3d

Banned
That was actually another part of the game I thought was really dumb. What does Batman, or anyone else, care that his identity is out? That he was scared on TV? I guess the next time he run into a villain they're going to say "Nah, I know you're Bruce Wayne, you don't scare me any more!" right before they get punched in the face? He still has the intellect and resources.

With Spiderman keeping his identity hidden is supposed to keep villains from attacking his friends and family, but as seen in this game everyone Batman cares about also openly fights crime, so what's the big deal?

I agree with you that Rocksteady has to have meant the torture scenes as the Knight reveal unless they think very little of their audience, but then why beat around the bush for another couple hours? And like you already mentioned, as someone who has very little Batman experience outside the games that character meant absolutely nothing to me.

A stoic person who doesn't kill on a revenge mission is basically the definition of Batman :p

Nope, I entirely disagree.
It made complete sense that once he was unmasked he would have to put away the Cowl. Batman works as a faceless symbol, as a means to strike fear into the hearts of the criminal underworld. By robbing him of his secret identity Scarecrow robbed the fear factor inherent in Batman. Now, everyone knows that Bruce Wayne the playboy billionaire is in fact just a screwed up rich kid who goes around beating people up. He no longer that faceless symbol that criminals fled from and the story within the game world media becomes less about Batman and more about Bruce Wayne.

Batman cannot simply be a man.

Done the drones respawn if you take them out? I want to start exploring the third island but it's covered.

No, taking them out frees up the GCPD to patrol the area. In fact, taking them all out is a side mission.

Staf

I'm tapping out for the time being. Kinda bumbed this game isn't what i expected it to be from a gameplay perspective. But will return once i'm done with The Witcher 3 because the story seems super interesting (and as a comic book geek i love Batman) and it's super gorgeous.

bryanee

I switched the Batmobile controls and now it seems to be more manageable, still feels light to drive but seem to be getting more and more use to it. At least most of the environment is destructible, gives it some fun when I'm sliding wide around corners.

Driving in first person is also good fun. Try it out.

void666

Banned
Alright, 50% story covered. Someone bring me up to speed on early early story details. No end game spoilers please

I'm just trying to get the plot down ha ha.

So, Bats gets sprayed by Scarecrow and starts Hallucinating. Now the entire game calls into question what is and what isn't. But going back, Bats is still suffering from the dose Joker gave him in the last game. Also , the Gordon scene. What is the significance and connection with the 5 people that were gassed and the missing 5th person. The details are scrambled in my head. Or is the missing connection part of the storyline that plays out later?

They weren't gassed. They received joker's contaminated blood. Who else did receive his blood? Who's the 5th?

Bats

Reule

Question about the Perfect Crime side mission...

Alfred told me to check the
Flescher District
for more victims. Is there suppose to be a random marker on a building till I pint point the locations of the victims? I found one of the victims on
Founders Island
but missing one more.
On release day it connected just fine but after that it's been broken.

I'm also having trouble accessing my DLC. I have the Scarecrow missions, PS Exclusive skins, Harley Quinn missions and the New 52 skin pack but only Harley's missions and the New 52 skins show up in the game. I've tried everything but nothing works.
Mine show up in the game but under Related Items for Arkham Knight? Do the images for the DLC show or is it a default icon for some of them?

I keep going back to the Justice League 3000 skin for Batman...I just like the look of it

I wish the Gotham's Future pack was available now...really want that Batman Beyond skin but I'll have to wait until it's released in a couple months

Drayco21

Question about the Perfect Crime side mission...

Alfred told me to check the
Flescher District
for more victims. Is there suppose to be a random marker on a building till I pint point the locations of the victims? I found one of the victims on
Founders Island
but missing one more.

The marker just shows the general area that the victim's body is in- if you check your map and highlight it, you should see a larger circle show up around that icon to indicate that the body is somewhere in that radius, and you just need to find it.

Top Bottom