• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

foxtrot3d

Banned
I actually liked it.

End Game Spoilers.

I like the idea but felt it was just too short and dumb. It reminds me of ME3's "Shepard Lives" ending. While the ending of ME3 is all around bad that final "is Shepard alive?" cutscene was the final icing on the cake. This is the fucking FINALE of your story, you know the thing that is supposed to conclude your character's arc and you end it on a "maybe?" It's not even a cliffhanger because a cliffhanger implies that you intend to resolve a plot at a later point, these type of endings are just opening that the devs leave for themselves in case they ever want to return to the world. They are completely non-committal.

We all know that Bruce Wayne and Alfred are not dead, why can't we know what happened to them? Why doesn't Bruce get a proper conclusion to his story? I hate when writers refuse to commit to their damn stories. This is why I love the ending to the TDKR, no bullshit Bruce gets a proper conclusion that nicely ties up his arc and leaves a hint at the future of Batman. No "well did he survive?" Fuck you.

Melchiah

I have to say I'm not enjoying the batmobile stuff, the fact that those annoying Riddler trials are tied to the story, and fighting against hordes of enemies, eventhough I've played through Asylum and City. The combat, and racing & platforming against the clock, just isn't fun to me. Dunno if it has something to do with playing Bloodborne for the past couple of months. I think I'm going to finish the game on easy, and just enjoy the story and the atmosphere.

Proportions are fine, looking at it in game right now.

It's heavily armoured, it's going to make him look bigger.

The head isn't proportional, its supposedly an armored cowl yet its practically skin tight.
Not to mention no definition for the ears underneath.

City suit finally looks like a believable looking human is under the suit.

Son Of D

As someone who never played the PS3/360 games is it worth me jumping right in to Arkham Knight? Or should I play those three first?

Vire

MOTHERFUCKING ROCKSTEADY...

I nearly just had a heart attack. Just flying around, swooping up a building and BOOM all the sudden you know who.

I hate whoever decided to put that in. :(

nOoblet16

The head isn't proportional, its supposedly an armored cowl yet its practically skin tight.
Not to mention no definition for the ears underneath.

City suit finally looks like a believable looking human is under the suit.

With all that metal he wears I wonder how much it weights, even if he's the fastest man in planet (despite being gorilla size) that much armour has got to slow him down...but he's still lightning fast according to the lore :p

Alienous

Arkham Knight is the first game in the series where I would intent to hit one target and Batman would decide to hit someone else. It only happened a few times, but it's probably due to the sheer amount of enemies you get put up against, and it sucks when something like that ends up ruining a combo.

End Game Spoilers.

I like the idea but felt it was just too short and dumb. It reminds me of ME3's "Shepard Lives" ending. While the ending of ME3 is all around bad that final "is Shepard alive?" cutscene was the final icing on the cake. This is the fucking FINALE of your story, you know the thing that is supposed to conclude your character's arc and you end it on a "maybe?" It's not even a cliffhanger because a cliffhanger implies that you intend to resolve a plot at a later point, these type of endings are just opening that the devs leave for themselves in case they ever want to return to the world. They are completely non-committal.

We all know that Bruce Wayne and Alfred are not dead, why can't we know what happened to them? Why doesn't Bruce get a proper conclusion to his story? I hate when writers refuse to commit to their damn stories. This is why I love the ending to the TDKR, no bullshit Bruce gets a proper conclusion that nicely ties up his arc and leaves a hint at the future of Batman. No "well did he survive?" Fuck you.

End game spoilers.

The reasons you dislike it are the reasons why I like it quite a bit.

Batman's identity is revealed. This is something that we, the audience, knew all along, but we get to see what happens when everyone else in Batman's world knows. The genius of the Knightfall protocol is that we don't get to see what happens; Batman made us, the audience, as clueless about what would be next as he made the people who recently discovered his identity. I can understand the annoyance of not being let in on the secret but I think that's kind of the point. "Did he survive?". Probably? Who knows? Can we ever say for sure? And, similarly, in that universe people are also unsure of what happens next.

In the context of the story we can speculate. A lot of the game was about Batman and his allies, and I like the idea that he might just disappear, leaving the city to his allies. I don't need to see his corpse, or a pledge to fighting crime until his dying breath. This is as good as I think an end to Batman can be.

I haven't gotten to the jump scare people keep mentioning while flying around...I'm looking forward to it

I'm doing my best to not get spoiled on anything story related since I want to experience it with no warning

As someone who never played the PS3/360 games is it worth me jumping right in to Arkham Knight? Or should I play those three first?

If you're going to play the older games first just go with Asylum then City...Origins isn't really necessary (wasn't made by Rocksteady so Asylum and City are the first 2 parts of their trilogy)

Hey guys, should I install the best buy Wayne tech stuff? I just picked up my game and I don't want to redeem the code if the bonuses are OP.

One of the best feelings. And toned down so much from the earlier games, where these challenges were much tougher three-round affairs.

For the first time in a Batman game, I actually got this feeling in the open world, too. There's an Arkham Knight outpost on a rooftop which I found insanely hard for no particular reason. It's like 7-8 regular goons, two big heavy goons, and 3-4 ninjas.

I must have tried it six or seven times before I beat it. And after each time I went down, there was a full minute's loading screen. But for some reason I didn't care. It was genuinely so engaging and fun trying to beat them.

The satisfaction was... Disturbing when I broke the last one's leg, strutted over to the Outpost terminal and blew it the fuck up.

Yeah, I don't quite get where that guy is coming from.

Yes.

Dude I just did this! That was so tough and do satisfying.

With all that metal he wears I wonder how much it weights, even if he's the fastest man in planet (despite being gorilla size) that much armour has got to slow him down...but he's still lightning fast according to the lore :p

Well Arkham Knight suit is technically more like a power suit(Iron Man as an example) than typical armor like the Origin's suit which would probably be a decent weight..

Voidance

I nearly just had a heart attack. Just flying around, swooping up a building and BOOM all the sudden you know who.

I am genuinely amazed people were that scared by that event. It caught me off guard, but not scary at all for me.

Who says its metal?

If you look closely it looks more like carbon fiber to me..........plus you know its a video game and all.

nOoblet16

If you're going to play the older games first just go with Asylum then City...Origins isn't really necessary (wasn't made by Rocksteady so Asylum and City are the first 2 parts of their trilogy)

I really don't understand why people completely ignore Origins, I mean yes it wasn't made by Rocksteady but wasn't the complaint about how it was more of the same (i.e. City) rather than a game that felt completely different...if anything Knight feels the most different out of all four.

It's surprising how apathetic people are towards that game and how they don't mind completely ignoring it simply because it wasn't made by Rocksteady....rather than any other reason. If anything it had the best story (even if crazy to think he met all those villains in one night) and very good boss fights.

Also it's canon as Arkham Knight acknowledges it.

The murder mystery side mission is quite funny in how sloppily they put together the dialogue. For example, "This tattoo belonged to a group of prison inmates known as the 'something' Six" "24 possible matches". How does that make sense?! Also, it's a good thing this killer decided to target only people with exactly one major identifying injury on each of the layers of the body that scanner scans isn't it...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Lmao, that happened to me while I was wearing the Gold Headset. Quite the scare.

Vire

I am genuinely amazed people were that scared by that event. It caught me off guard, but not scary at all for me.

I play with my headphones on and it was incredibly loud.

I already knew about the
Man Bat jump
, but the
Joker
one really caught me off guard because it seemed like such a random time to put it in.

raidersx

Uhh so yeah i'm about 60% done and I cant complete this mission cause I never grabbed a certain weapon in the beginning what the hell? It won't even let me exit to go back and get it. Is there any way to quit the current mission you're on?

Melchiah

Uhh so yeah i'm about 60% done and I cant complete this mission cause I never grabbed a certain weapon in the beginning what the hell? It won't even let me exit to go back and get it. Is there any way to quit the current mission you're on?

What weapon? Just in case, that I don't miss it as well.

I'm almost certain I know what you're talking about but shouldn't you be in the location of that weapon when the game first requires you to have it?

Arkham Knight is the first game in the series where I would intent to hit one target and Batman would decide to hit someone else. It only happened a few times, but it's probably due to the sheer amount of enemies you get put up against, and it sucks when something like that ends up ruining a combo.

End game spoilers.

Batman's identity is revealed. This is something that we, the audience, knew all along, but we get to see what happens when everyone else in Batman's world knows. The genius of the Knightfall protocol is that we don't get to see what happens; Batman made us, the audience, as clueless about what would be next as he made the people who recently discovered his identity. I can understand the annoyance of not being let in on the secret but I think that's kind of the point. "Did he survive?". Probably? Who knows? Can we ever say for sure? And, similarly, in that universe people are also unsure of what happens next.

In the context of the story we can speculate. A lot of the game was about Batman and his allies, and I like the idea that he might just disappear, leaving the city to his allies. I don't need to see his corpse, or a pledge to fighting crime until his dying breath. This is as good as I think an end to Batman can be.

Full game ending spoilers, at least my interpretation of it

we all know batman faked his death, but in the full ending, when Barbara and Tim get married, after that family gets mugged, you see that batman figure there. In my opinion, it is Bruce showing he's there for his family basically, which happens to stop a crime. Batman didn't die at the end of AK, the person known As Bruce Wayne" died. Batman still lives and that ending shows it.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
Just bought this for One even after all of the bad impressions. Not only do I make mistakes, I do my research to ensure that they are mistakes before I make them.

I really enjoyed City, though, so I'm holding out hope.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am hating this game.

I loved Asylum, liked Arkham City, but this game starts in the worst stop and start way I think I've ever experienced with a game. I think I'm finally at the actual "just let me play the fucking game" part now I have the proper suit, but... why does the Batmobile control like a slippery turd in a shower cubicle?

Just bought this for One even after all of the bad impressions. Not only do I make mistakes, I do my research to ensure that they are mistakes before I make them.

Bad impressions? The One version runs great and the game is great.

Quick spoiler question about certain locations.
so none of Arkham City's locations appear in Knight? was disappointing,
Also the fact that Asylum shows up only in a cutscene for 2 seconds.

foxtrot3d

Banned

End game spoilers.

See, again I don't like that. "We" aren't the audience, we are Batman. We play the game from his perspective so leaving the ending so ambiguous and open ended is cheap. This is the final Rocksteady Arkham game, this is the time to pull out all the stops and craft a proper conclusion to your trilogy and yet it ends so loosely to allow for a "just in case we want to make another or sell you DLC." Now, is not the time for such ambiguity, now is the time for an ending. Even The Dark Knight Returns comic, which is where they ripped the Knightfall Protocol from had a decent conclusion. Superman "kills"
Batman, Batman is unmasked as Bruce Wayne in the process, Alfred initiates his death protocol, Wayne Manor gets blown up along with the Batcave, Alfred has a heart attack and dies since he no longer has a purpose with Wayne Manor gone, Batman is revealed to be alive and training the youths of the city to clean up the city.

Bad impressions? The One version runs great and the game is great.

Yeah what bad impressions are there? Outside of the fact that it's 900p, the performance is almost identical.

Outside of someone saying it was super blurry (lol), it's identical in performance, albeit at 900.

I like the way the Batmobile integrates with the puzzle solving, and most of that comes down to the ability to remote control it, but it ends up feeling like I'm playing a puzzle game that was heavily designed. You have precisely 1 way in which things can be done, and you try to do them any other way and you are immediately stonewalled our slapped down with an instadeath until you remember that you can remote control the Batmobile.

It feels more like I'm playing Portal than Batman. The game has far more moments where I felt like I didn't know what to do or where to go than I remember previous games having, then
I get the Joker
in my ear giving me an unsubtle reminder that I can remote control the Batmobile. The funny thing is that none of the Riddler stuff so far has been particularly difficult to figure out. It's like they forgot that he's supposed to be the puzzle guy.

valkyre

Hey French gaffers, I am visiting Paris atm (love it btw) and i was in a Fnac store and was thinking of purchasing Batman Arkham Knight for my PS4, to enjoy when i get back to my country.

Thing is after asking the employee whether the game has english voice over option, he told me its just french... But i dont trust his knowledge on things and it really sounds weird to me. Nevertheless i did not risk it, and i wanted to ask french gaffers if i buy the game, will it have the original english voice over?

Thanks!

Tsukumo

You have to use the batclaw on electrified enemies. Do you have the hints options disabled? Because if so it will also disable the tutorials.

Top Bottom