• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Shaanyboi

Banned
The Harley Quinn DLC is a joke. Took me 20 minutes to complete and it has a laughable boss fight.
Well considering they felt it appropriate to leave separate as pre-order DLC and not something they could sell, I'd say that sounds about right.

If it were more substantial, people would be upset that a "significant piece of DLC" was locked behind a pre-order.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
The theatre/movie studio is excellent, start to finish. So is the zeppelin; these parts of the game feel just like the best moments of Asylum and City. My biggest complaint with Arkham Knight is that there just aren't enough sections that reach this level of quality.

I'm not against the idea of switching things up with the Batmobile. I think that thing controls perfectly, looks awesome, and I love the stuff it can do. I loved using it for puzzle solving and doing all that crazy stuff with the power winch, powersliding across rooftops and exploding out the top of it straight into a glide. Unfortunately, so much of your time in the Batmobile is spent strafing around a circular arena blowing up wave after wave of drones, which I found utterly tedious after the first few instances. I mean, races, stealth bits with cobra tanks, power winching down walls, driving on the ceiling in tunnels, that stuff is all awesome and all used sparingly, but drone shootouts happen ALL THE TIME. There are just too fucking many tank battles, and that style of gameplay is not sufficiently varied or enjoyable enough to match the kind of quality I've come to expect from Rocksteady's games.

If the number of tank battles was halved or quartered I would think much more highly of the game, but I still wouldn't put it on the level of Asylum or City. The extremely dull and repetitive side missions are a real shame, as is the lack of any decent bossfights. I felt that relegating Batman's rogue's gallery to side missions rather than giving them major roles in the story was a missed opportunity, especially given all that pre-release talk of all the villains having teamed up in the Joker's absence. Even the design of the few Metroidvania/dungeon areas is a bit lacking compared to the first two games. When you revisited the Steel Mill or the Museum in Arkham City it was to use your new gadgets to find new areas and take different paths; when you revisit the Zeppelin in AK it's to... go back into the same predator area you did last time, then walk straight back out the way you came in.

I think Arkham Knight's a fine game. People should play it; there's a lot of wonderful stuff in there. It's just not going to be one of my favourite games that I replay every few months like Asylum and City were.

I'm about 50% through the main story and I agree with everything you said here.

Great game, that could be better with fewer drone fights, more bosses and more dungeon crawling and exploration.

malfcn

Riddler wants me to go to another island but the bridge is up. How do I lower them again? I've destroyed a bunch of stuff, but can't locate bridge controls.

Omega

Banned
I'm about 50% through the main story and I agree with everything you said here.

Great game, that could be better with fewer drone fights, more bosses and more dungeon crawling and exploration.

more bosses? that kind of implies there are some to begin with

Ferrio

Banned
Semi early villain spoiler
I really really love Joker's appearances, they're such a great touch. Scale a building and boom he's sitting there and just starts chatting.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
50%? You've barely seen how it gets.

Overall I'm like 33%, but for the main story I'm 50%. I think the game has absolutely impeccable story telling, presentation, graphics, art, visual effects, sound, music and an incredible, near perfect sense of immersion with its seamless and clever transitions from cinematics and gameplay. It's even more impressive since it's an open world game and not linear. AK is a REALLY fun game that does a damn good job at making you FEEL like you're Batman. Right now I'm
Helping Ivy restore the ancient plants under the city
.However, so far, I wish there was more of the dungeon crawling and more boss fights and fewer drone fights. All of the other Batmobile segments are great though

more bosses? that kind of implies there are some to begin with

Good point

Alienous

Overall I'm like 33%, but for the main story I'm 50%. I think the game has absolutely impeccable story telling, presentation, graphics, art, visual effects, sound, music and an incredible, near perfect sense of immersion with its seamless and clever transitions from cinematics and gameplay. It's a REALLY fun game that does a damn good job at making you FEEL like you're Batman. Right now I'm
Helping Ivy restore the ancient plants under the city
.However, so far, I wish there was more of the dungeon crawling and more boss fights and fewer drone fights. All of the other Batmobile segments are great though

Yeah, I just mean that 50% of the main story is where the tank combat tedium was really beginning to become apparent to me, and I think it just gets worse from there, especially you being at the point in the story you are at.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is gonna sound stupid, but can someone explain the Riddler stuff to me? Like, not what you're supposed to do to get the trophies and such (I've played the previous two games), but why you're doing it. Does the game ever introduce this stuff? Suddenly there's just section for them on the touchpad screen. Does the Riddler ever tell you "you need to find all my trophies and solve all my riddles because X" (except for his "main" missions)? I just feel like I've missed something. All the other side-missions (rescuing firefighters, clearing out bombs, etc) are introduced with some sort of story thing, but not this it seems. I know this doesn't really matter, it just bothers me to have a side-mission that isn't explained. I want to know why I'm doing shit (and I know collecting the trophies unlocks art and stuff, but that's not really my question). Or is this just continuing on from the previous games, and I'm supposed to still remember how all this trophy collecting started?

89% done with the main story, doing a certain predator mission, 3rd attempt at it, do pretty
decent and knock everyone out...run out a room and sentry guns spray bullets at me
non-stop, tried R1 and grapple....nope, dead

come
on
game!!

Pissed me off so quit for the night, theres always tomorrow.
What was I supposed to do? Run away from the sentry guns?

I looked like Batatoe-Man :/

Sober

I've seen this sentiment repeated a few times now, and it's pretty much exactly how I felt.

They abandoned most metroidvania aspects. The abandoned what they had done previously with boss fights rather than tried to top it. There's too much tank Batmobile as you get closer and closer to the end of the game.

There are a few other things, like the freeflow combat just feeling too dense and with too many elements going on by the time you're halfway through the game and beyond, but what you talk about cover most of my complaints with the game. As a package I just didn't enjoy it as much as City or Asylum, and I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed Origins.
That bothered me too. Something else I found odd was something like the line launcher... how many times did people actually use it? I haven't gone through the trophies yet so maybe there but I might've used it once to perch midglide and .... that's it?

I think the Batmobile dungeons ate up a lot of space and they were maybe like drive until you hit a door, find the switch and maybe fight a dozen dudes, continue on, shoot some drones and repeat until you get to the end. Maybe do Batmobile winch puzzle in the middle. They felt really weak whereas the on-foot dungeons were great but never really had you go through the gadget belt that much.

I'm not one to complain about bossfights, but I thought the
Red Hood
boss fight was probably best suited to being a predator room. Of course, that was totally the only real boss fight besides that was the
Cloudburst
but that is on Batmobile. Also it just made it worse 'cause pretty much nearly every side mission involves
cutscene followed possibly by driving their asses back to GCPD.
Epic conclusions, etc., etc.

This is gonna sound stupid, but can someone explain the Riddler stuff to me? Like, not what you're supposed to do to get the trophies and such (I've played the previous two games), but why you're doing it. Does the game ever introduce this stuff? Suddenly there's just section for them on the touchpad screen. Does the Riddler ever tell you "you need to find all my trophies and solve all my riddles because X" (except for his "main" missions)? I just feel like I've missed something. All the other side-missions (rescuing firefighters, clearing out bombs, etc) are introduced with some sort of story thing, but not this it seems. I know this doesn't really matter, it just bothers me to have a side-mission that isn't explained. I want to know why I'm doing shit (and I know collecting the trophies unlocks art and stuff, but that's not really my question).
It's all revealed via the main story when you get to the second island, as you have to engage with that at the bare minimum to continue the main story.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's all revealed via the main story when you get to the second island, as you have to engage with that at the bare minimum to continue the main story.

Oooh, so I'm not supposed to "get it" yet? Thanks. Seems like you can "get ahead of yourself" with stuff quite easily in this game. Like taking down those militia bases or whatever, I just did one of those without the game introducing it in any way (but maybe that's supposed to be how it starts).

EDIT: I'm not talking about the rescuing
Catwoman
stuff. That I'm on board with. It's just all those "random" trophies and riddles that I don't know why I'm doing story-wise.

So I have to solve all of Riddler's challenges to get a "true" ending or whats the deal?
I'm only 6% done with them :/
Do I have to get all of the trophies as well,
or just the challenges?

And just a curious question for people who did all the Riddler challenges before the end: is it worth it?
Is the ending better if you do them?

Also: Do you have to beat the game on Hard
to platinum it? (havent checked the trophy list cause scared of spoilers).

Lime

The amount of damsels in distress in this game is pretty tiring.

But I guess my expectations for the story of this game should be extremely low, with the lead writer of Crysis 1 & 2 and Killzone Shadowfall being responsible for this.

Alienous

Oooh, so I'm not supposed to "get it" yet? Thanks. Seems like you can "get ahead of yourself" with stuff quite easily in this game. Like taking down those militia bases or whatever, I just did one of those without the game introducing it in any way (but maybe that's supposed to be how it starts).

EDIT: I'm not talking about the rescuing
Catwoman
stuff. That I'm on board with. It's just all those "random" trophies and riddles that I don't know why I'm doing story-wise.

I thought as much.

Riddler addresses why you should collect his trophies when you finish the Catwoman side missions, and Catwoman points out how silly a concept it is. So the game doesn't even really have a good reason.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought as much.

Riddler addresses why you should collect his trophies when you finish the Catwoman side missions, and Catwoman points out how silly a concept it is. So the game doesn't even really have a good reason.

Thanks, I'll keep going with that stuff then (not that I wasn't going to anyway)!

So I have to solve all of Riddler's challenges to get a "true" ending or whats the deal?

The game doesn't actually end when you finish the final story mission; you don't even see credits roll. You have to get to around 70% of full completion (as in, story and side missions) to get a prompt from Alfred saying you can 'properly' end things whenever you're ready, but apparently there's a 'true' ending on top of that that you only see if you've done 100% of everything. I haven't seen that, but I haven't heard impressive things about it. I'd say don't bother with the Riddles if you don't enjoy them, because you can finish the game without doing any of them.

Personally, though, I've always enjoyed collecting all the Riddles. It really feels like they test every ability you have in the game, and some of them are truly devious.

How do you get the freeze grenade? Finished the game and I never got it.

Unless you know something I don't, I don't think it's in the game? Though I did think it was odd that there wasn't an equivalent of the double-tap R2 Quickfire move from Arkham City, so maybe I'm missing something.

The game doesn't actually end when you finish the final story mission; you don't even see credits roll. You have to finish around 70% full completion (as in, story and side missions) to get a prompt from Alfred saying you can 'properly' end things whenever you're ready, but apparently there's a 'true' ending on top of that that you only see if you've done 100% of everything. I haven't seen that, but I haven't heard impressive things about it. I'd say don't bother with the Riddles if you don't enjoy them, because you can finish the game without doing any of them.

Personally, though, I've always enjoyed collecting all the Riddles. It really feels like they test every ability you have in the game, and some of them are truly devious.
Yea I like the Riddler stuff as well, just not sure if I'll have enough time to do them b4 i leave for vacation next week. (might have to resort to youtube if I get really stuck on some, cant waste a lot of time)
But will try to do everything 100% before attempting the end, want to see what the deal is

Without spoiling anything, any early way to get access to Founder Island with the Batmobile? I'm trying to rescue
Catwoman
early to get it out of the way.

Future

Ok so there are definitely some worse nightmare tank battles in this game haha. I actually can't believe the game is making me do this shit

Without spoiling anything, any early way to get access to Founder Island with the Batmobile? I'm trying to rescue
Catwoman
early to get it out of the way.

Nope, the only way to get the Batmobile there is to keep playing story missions, and eventually it'll be accessible.

I feel sorry for you since it's the better game. Anyway they are fun little insights that also allow you to glean information from random thugs.
Played the chit out of AC and platinum'd it, still havent 100% AK but Im enjoying it just as much as AC, not sure if itll be on the same level as AC after I get into the challenge modes & DLCs and 100% it - but RS did an amazing job with AK no matter what

Noob Fu

I'm about 12% in, and I'm not liking the Batmobile parts at all. And it seems to force it on you all the time. Riddler Challenges, story, everything. WTH?
I want to be the Batman, not play a racing/tank game.

I loved the other 3 games, played them each atleast twice (Asylum 4 times). Do not see myself going back to this one after I beat it if this keeps up.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Played the chit out of AC and platinum'd it, still havent 100% AK but Im enjoying it just as much as AC, not sure if itll be on the same level as AC after I get into the challenge modes & DLCs and 100% it - but RS did an amazing job with AK no matter what

AK is good but not great like City imo. That expertly crafted and intricate design is lost with the expanded scope of AK. AC ranks as one of the best designed games of all time for me.

BluWacky

What's the point of all the constant "Local Surveillance" prompts? They're annoying.

Sometimes a mission prompt will only give you a rough area where a key point is; the local surveillance will help you pinpoint it. For instance, there's a particular supervillain that you're likely to be able to find only by using the local surveillance. It supplements things like audio cues etc.

So I heard earlier that the best ending of the game comes when you're at 100% at the end of it. I'm in what I think might be the final mission and I'm def. not at a 100%--does this ending come at the end of the campaign, or after you've reached 100%, no matter when you finished the story?

AK identity spoilers:
Also I felt that Jason Todd being the Arkham Knight was a cop out. We've had enough Red Hood origin stories, and this game doesn't even handle it nearly as well as the animated film, so it sets itself up for failure by comparison. Would've liked it to be someone else. Especially bad is the fact that they beat you over the head with it--the obvious cockiness, is one thing, sure, but to explicitly show what happened to him and then have Batman say "he's dead" when Gamestop already has that DLC they're shoving in everybody's faces makes it incredibly obvious.

Future

What the FUCk at these tank battles. I'm pretty late in the game I think and

holy shit at this Arkham knight tank battle with scarecrows gas shit everywhere. This is worst nightmare design right here. I can't believe this is actually in the story and not a challenge. A ridiculous amount of cobra tanks. I actually don't want to do this at all :/

Alienous

So I heard earlier that the best ending of the game comes when you're at 100% at the end of it. I'm in what I think might be the final mission and I'm def. not at a 100%--does this ending come at the end of the campaign, or after you've reached 100%, no matter when you finished the story?

AK identity spoilers:
Also I felt that Jason Todd being the Arkham Knight was a cop out. We've had enough Red Hood origin stories, and this game doesn't even handle it nearly as well as the animated film, so it sets itself up for failure by comparison. Would've liked it to be someone else. Especially bad is the fact that they beat you over the head with it--the obvious cockiness, is one thing, sure, but to explicitly show what happened to him and then have Batman say "he's dead" when Gamestop already has that DLC they're shoving in everybody's faces makes it incredibly obvious.

You can't get full 100% without having finished the story.

You get to see the best part of the 'best ending' without having to complete 100%. You get that at something like 90% (which is having completed the vast majority of side missions and the campaign, but not having completed all of the side missions).

antitrop

Sometimes a mission prompt will only give you a rough area where a key point is; the local surveillance will help you pinpoint it. For instance, there's a particular supervillain that you're likely to be able to find only by using the local surveillance. It supplements things like audio cues etc.

Okay, I stopped paying attention, because it just kept leading me to a bunch of pointless thug vehicles. I don't know why there are so many of those, or why the game thinks they're important enough to bother me about every 30 seconds. You don't even get XP for taking them out. They also start repeating the same lines of flavor dialogue quickly, it just seems... very, very strange.

They point you in the direction of side-quest stuff like the missing firefighters and the serial killer's victims, and they leave a bunch of easter eggs towards the greater Batman mythos and DC Universe.

Strange, it just seems to be wasting my time. Like, it tells me there's a riot going on 300m away, I go and clear out the riot and then... absolutely nothing happens. Not even any XP. It's just weird.

I've been finding the firefighters etc on my own.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Found a game-breaker last night. I was walking around last night (I think it said Ryker Island or Riker's Island or something) when I saw an interactive door using Detective Vision.

Walked through it to find what looked like a (side-quest spoiler)
Penguin Weapon Cache

However, I'd only found one of these previously so I don't think the game was ready to find this one. I couldn't grapple out of the room, use hatches in the room, blow anything up or interact with anything. I was completely and utterly stuck.

Tried a couple of re-loads, nothing.

Walked around for twenty minutes using every combination of gadgets I could think of, nothing.

Unless I have a save file that goes a few save locations back I'm going to have to delete my progress.

Drayco21

What's the point of all the constant "Local Surveillance" prompts? They're annoying.

They point you in the direction of side-quest stuff like the missing firefighters and the serial killer's victims, and they leave a bunch of easter eggs towards the greater Batman mythos and DC Universe.

Top Bottom