• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Sober

How do you get the freeze grenade? Finished the game and I never got it.
Head back to
Panessa studios, it's in the room with the Joker infected. Right against the cell you lock Robin into is a Bat"pod", and on the desk is the freeze grenade

You don't need it to beat the story thought you probably might need to use it to get all the trophies and such.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Okay, I stopped paying attention, because it just kept leading me to a bunch of pointless thug vehicles. I don't know why there are so many of those, or why the game thinks they're important enough to bother me about every 30 seconds. You don't even get XP for taking them out. They also start repeating the same lines of flavor dialogue quickly, it just seems... very, very strange.

Strange, it just seems to be wasting my time. Like, it tells me there's a riot going on 300m away, I go and clear out the riot and then... absolutely nothing happens. Not even any XP. It's just weird.

I've been finding the firefighters etc on my own.

No, no you don't actually follow the local surveillance most of the time. You should be able to tell the relevant stuff from just general chaos.

valkyre

Man i hear a lot of complaints from people about the game. I thought it was just the batmobile but now i hear a lot more things regarding boss fights, pacing riddler challenges etc etc... Is the game really lackluster compared to its predecessors?

My hype levels really have dropped quite a lot. Maybe its for the better though...

I need to blow a hole in
the wall
at the
ACE Chemicals plant
he said he needs something more powerful to do it but I'm not sure what it is.

antitrop

No, no you don't actually follow the local surveillance most of the time. You should be able to tell the relevant stuff from just general chaos.
Fair enough. I've played so many open-world games that it's become routine habit to just follow guiding arrows and distance trackers wherever they appear.

Still, they should at least give you some XP for going out of your way, or just not bother you and clutter your HUD constantly with stuff that doesn't matter.

Man i hear a lot of complaints from people about the game. I thought it was just the batmobile but now i hear a lot more things regarding boss fights, pacing riddler challenges etc etc... Is the game really lackluster compared to its predecessors?

My hype levels really have dropped quite a lot. Maybe its for the better though...
Worst boss fights in the Arkham series.

dlauv

I think I'm just sick of Batman. I can't even be bothered to finish. Batmobile isn't particularly fun, tank fights aren't particularly fun; predator missions are even more of a joke now, but I do like the fear takedowns; combat is the best thing about it. The game just feels too directed, I guess, like I'm being shoehorned through a not-so-compelling story. Arkham 1 had that discovery-factor to it.

I'm having more fun atm with that ASM1 game that came out in 2012. Easy, but pretty fun with how open-ended the combat and stealth mechanics are. Also enjoying the really large, open world boss fights.

No, this is just the point in Internet conversations where we swing around to criticism after the hype dies down. It's an exaggerated backlash.

This is maybe my favorite franchise in all of video games and I think this is the best one since Asylum.

I like that in this game, Rocksteady revels in how Batman is actually kind of a shitty person to the people closest to him. I'm still early in the story, but it's like... Yeah, Batman's kind of a dick.

MAtgS

A lot of things are great but there's some severely questionable priorities from Rocksteady. It's their only chance to do the batmobile so they do absolutely everything they can with it even if it's detrimental to overall gameflow. To think Asylum was once praised as a crowning example of perfect pacing.

100% of all sidemissions including Riddler trophies to get best ending is horrific. Hell even having multiple endings at all doesn't make much sense. Add that the main story does seem to be much longer than the previous games & it's just asking too much of the player's time IMO.

Alienous

I like that in this game, Rocksteady revels in how Batman is actually kind of a shitty person to the people closest to him. I'm still early in the story, but it's like... Yeah, Batman's kind of a dick.

Yeah, the really do portray him that way.

I'm actually about to make a post about that on the spoiler side.

Future

It's good but damn there are some questionably paced shit. I am on a section right now that I have died like 20 times. I actually can't believe this mission is in the game. Holy shit.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
77% game spoilers [i don't know the proper way to tag this, but it's a tank fight]
i keep shooting the Knights tank with the cloudburster and its life isn't going down. I'm aiming at the top and shooting with my cannon but it's not putting a dent into it. The targeted rockets do damage but I can't regenerate those without weaker tanks to blow up.

What is up?

Where do I find the third murder victim with the opera music? The waypoint takes me to the top of a building with tanks all around the street at the bottom, it also won't let me take my bat mobile there

The amount of damsels in distress in this game is pretty tiring.

But I guess my expectations for the story of this game should be extremely low, with the lead writer of Crysis 1 & 2 and Killzone Shadowfall being responsible for this.
Yeah, I don't usually notice that stuff but (20% spoiler I guess)
"who do I save? Barbara or Catwoman?" was eye-rolling.

Future

77% game spoilers [i don't know the proper way to tag this, but it's a tank fight]
i keep shooting the Knights tank with the cloudburster and its life isn't going down. I'm aiming at the top and shooting with my cannon but it's not putting a dent into it. The targeted rockets do damage but I can't regenerate those without weaker tanks to blow up.

What is up?

You have
to kill the small tanks first before attacking the main tank

This is the mission that people are using to complain about the bat mobile. This is one of the worst fights I've played in awhile in any game. This will make me doubt doing a hard play through

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You have

This is the mission that people are using to complain about the bat mobile. This is one of the worst fights I've played in awhile in any game. This will make me doubt doing a hard play through
Even as someone who really likes the Batmobile stuff, that was the worst part of the game by a considerable margin.

Sober

How do you get criticals in tank battles? I have to get 3 to unlock a challenge.
Fire the vulcan (the machine gun) at the sensor on most tanks (the blue/purple glowing thingy). Perfect = OHKO, Critical = you hit in the general area, did some damage I believe is how it works.

wenis

You have

Well shit
i haven't seen a single other tank in this fight at this point. I took all of them out before touching the main one and I used up the last of my heat seeking rockets.

This is truly stupid.

Alienous

End game spoilers

Only read on if you have completed the game. The first spoiler tag will give you sense of what I'm discussing here, but it's something I found irksome about the plot.

The Arkham Knight's hatred of Batman is completely justified.

The way that plotline shakes down is as follows. Jason Todd decides one day he's going to go kill the Joker, because he's tired of doing the dance. He sneaks off to do it, not telling Batman. As this things would happen he ends up getting outsmarted and trapped by the Joker. Realizing that Jason came alone the Joker decides to torture him. He does so for 6 months.

This is where it happened. This is where the story fucked up.

It would appear that Batman searched for Jason for 6 months before he gave up, and decided to get a new Robin. What a fuck. This is when Jason's spirit is broken, by the Joker showing him the picture. In the following 6 months Jason is further tortured and branded with a 'J', denoting him as property of the Joker. This is where he pretty much loses it, having managed to keep his sanity for 6 months. Presumably 6 months later the Joker sends Batman a video of a branded (this is important) Jason Todd being broken, hating Batman, willing to give up his secret identity, then apparently being killed (somehow in a way convincing to the world's greatest detective).

The reason why the branding is important is that happened after Batman got a new sidekick and seemingly gave up his search. Initially I gave Batman the benefit of the doubt and thought events transpired this way: Jason is kidnapped, Batman is sent a video of Jason Todd being shot, he assumes he's dead and mourns for 6 months before getting a new Robin, not realizing that the Joker was really torturing him that that whole year. Instead he gives up the search with no evidence of what happened to Jason Todd. He just stops giving a fuck and replaces him.

I don't blame Batman, I blame the writers. They tried to adapt the Return of the Red Hood and the Return of the Joker 'prologue' storyline and thought they could rejig them, but in doing so they changed the entire meaning of what occurred.

Future

Well shit
i haven't seen a single other tank in this fight at this point. I took all of them out before touching the main one and I used up the last of my heat seeking rockets.

This is truly stupid.

Wait a minute think I misread:

phase 1: kill all small Cobras. Phase 2: Scan Arkham tank with prompt from Alfred. Phase 3: shoot the tank like 4 times running away each time. Phase 4: shoot the cloudburst glowing thing. You don't need small tanks or the missiles

I am on phase 4 right now and pissed as fuck

Alienous

phase 1: kill all small Cobras. Phase 2: Scan Arkham tank with prompt from Alfred. Phase 3: shoot the tank like 4 times running away each time. Phase 4: shoot the cloudburst glowing thing. You don't need small tanks or the missiles

Pro Arkham series tip.

If you save some Batmobile armour upgrades and upgrade points for a boss upgrading your armour during the fight will regenerate your health if you need it.

I don't think I tried it on that boss, but I do think it works.

Future

Pro Arkham series tip.

If you save some Batmobile armour upgrades and upgrade points for a boss upgrading your armour during the fight will regenerate your health if you need it.

I don't think I tried it on that boss, but I do think it works.

Just used that to win. Haha thanks man

One of the worst things ever. Horrible. I was a bat mobile apologist before this. Now I am on the hate train

wenis

Yep I'm on phase four. Guess I gotta work on my aim, but I'm on like a sliver of health so I'd poke out my head for a second, take a shot and retreat. Very little time to line up a shot. Think I've got like 2 points available so I can't try an upgrade health refill.

Jesus christ

my heart

Rocksteady why would you do that

SO GOOD

The second island looks incredible btw. This might be my favorite aesthetic and use of post processing in any game ever.

Alienous

Yep I'm on phase four. Guess I gotta work on my aim, but I'm on like a sliver of health so I'd poke out my head for a second, take a shot and retreat. Very little time to line up a shot. Think I've got like 2 points available so I can't try an upgrade health refill.

You want to just be slowly reversing from it while shooting at the
cloudburst
thing (it isn't that distinguishable, but it causes damage). Hold down R1 and keep tapping R2, and try not to be hit. Your main concern should be getting shots on target.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game just blew my GODDAMN MIND just naturally moving through the environment doing sidequests. Minor post-ACE factory spoilers:

I was right outside one of an enemy encampment when I thought I saw something weird out of the corner of my eye. This is the poster:

http://i.imgur.com/weHA8WE.jpg

Only that isn't what I saw. This is:

http://i.imgur.com/cwaSZVh.jpg

If you pan the camera back and forth the poster keeps switching.

I've been talking up the presentation in this game and this is a perfect example why. It's such a clever visual trick that most people wouldn't even see, I only vaguely realized what I saw, went "huh?" and looked back and realized what happened. This type of thing being plopped in the middle of a big open world is what's so impressive to me, it's not something they can clearly frame and force you to experience.

Future

One thing I noticed
is your machine gun does damage too. I used that to tick him low and move slowly to dodge most of his missiles. I ended up using a point to refill health, but it was my first upgrade to the bat mobile. I could have beaten him that way if I had that upgraded health going in

Liamc723

I'm about to finish the game and the only thoughts I have are "thank god that's over."

Easily my most disappointing game of the year so far.

How do i find the penguins secret hideout? I was afk for awhile and the weapons tracker cant be found on the mini map? I dunno what to do.

Edit: lol nevermind

Fliesen

Fire the vulcan (the machine gun) at the sensor on most tanks (the blue/purple glowing thingy). Perfect = OHKO, Critical = you hit in the general area, did some damage I believe is how it works.

critical is killing the tank by shooting the "eye" i think.

you get a critical chain by not missing a shot between eye-one-shotting multiple tanks. a chain of 5 is needed for a trophy, iirc.

Alienous

I'm about to finish the game and the only thoughts I have are "thank god that's over."

Easily my most disappointing game of the year so far.

What did you think of it at the beginning, at around 2 hours in?

Because I'm seeing a lot of people think of the game as disappointing as they get closer and closer to the end.

Liamc723

What did you think of it at the beginning, at around 2 hours in?

Because I'm seeing a lot of people think of the game as disappointing as they get closer and closer to the end.

There wasn't any point throughout my time with the game where I thought "hey this is really cool" or "I really like this game, I'm having fun now". I found the entire game very generic, and NOTHING exciting happens.

The best thing is the story, and even then, I just didn't care about who the Arkham Knight was.

Alienous

There wasn't any point throughout my time with the game where I thought "hey this is really cool" or "I really like this game, I'm having fun now". I found the entire game very generic, and NOTHING exciting happens.

The best thing is the story, and even then, I just didn't care about who the Arkham Knight was.

Fair enough.

Top Bottom