• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

SomTervo

Holy shit this game needs a photomode ASAP.

Mein gott, I never even considered photo mode for this.

Would be a fucking gamechanger.

Hey I've a question regarding 50% big story part!!

Was talking to a friend regarding what happened to Barbara and he said to me "it's a shame they don't actually show how she shot herself" so we started a debate because I actually saw how everything happened, Joker was at her side, she fired at me and then said "you won't get me" and blowed her head, but I saw the whole thing clean. My friend says that when that happened the Joker moved in front of Batman raised his hand to his head and made the gesture of shooting his head, then he moved away and Barbara was dead. So, there are different animations?? please don't spoil what happens later because I don't know.

Wow. Yes, I only got what your friend got, with
Joker walking in the way, and mimicking shooting himself. I never actually physically saw Barbara do it. I think you can move freely in this scene – did you perhaps move to the side so that you could see past Joker?

Wow.

Was talking to a friend regarding what happened to Barbara and he said to me "it's a shame they don't actually show how she shot herself" so we started a debate because I actually saw how everything happened, Joker was at her side, she fired at me and then said "you won't get me" and blowed her head, but I saw the whole thing clean. My friend says that when that happened the Joker moved in front of Batman raised his hand to his head and made the gesture of shooting his head, then he moved away and Barbara was dead. So, there are different animations?? please don't spoil what happens later because I don't know.

WHAT?

No way. I saw what your friend saw. I didn't even realize it was possible for that to happen...

DocSeuss

I reaaaaallly like this one's story. It's ballsy and creative, with the exception of the Arkham Knight, who is just an astonishingly irritating character. This could have been Batman vs Scarecrow Army and I think it would have been a better game.

The city itself is incredible; I'm not seeing a lot of repetitious content. It's not a great open world, in the sense that it doesn't sell itself like an actual Gotham. As a Batman playground, however, it's superb.

The side missions are of varying quality. None of them stand out to me as particularly good. Like... I enjoy playing them, because the core combat is so good that it's just wonderful, but the missions themselves kinda... suck, mostly just repeating the same actions between three and ten or so times, often using the same animations and repeated behaviors to do it in.

The Batmobile controls are WEIRD. I like it a lot, and I like the riddler puzzles involving it, but I hate having to hold down LT to be in battle mode and X for brake. Would have preferred toggle X for modes and LT to brake/reverse.

Core combat so fun I've put 18 hours into this game in two mammoth play sessions. Story was great except for the Knight. Sidequests kinda suck.

Alienous

I saw the latter animation, like your friend, so I'm not sure what you saw. A glitch?

RPGCrazied

I'm not minding the batmobile, the framerate does take a dump when you are going super fast though. I do prefer to use just Batman, and will do unless I have to chase a car or fight those tanks.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Does anyone if you're supposed to get anything immediately after buying the Season Pass?

Bought it last night and nothing happened, or started downlading. Is it all coming in the future or should something have been accessible straight away?

Also, I'm sorry for buying the Season Pass. I'm aware this makes me part of the problem.

Playing on PS4.

delSai

Harely is short, yes. I did it under 20 minutes.
Yeah.

Harley's is about 15 minutes long. It's slightly longer than Red Hood's, as it has rooms to travel through in-between the 4 challenge room like areas.

The Scarecrow Nightmare DLC is basically 3 (missions) x 5 minutes (the amount of time to complete a mission, approximately), divided into three challenge maps, so again it's about as long.
Thanks. That sucks. Guess i wont jump on the season pass just yet and wait for it to be on sale.
I liked Red Hoods Gameplay, if Rocksteady did a standalone game like Infamous First Light with him, able to explore one of the three islands i'd buy it for sure.

Holy shit this game needs a photomode ASAP.
100% agreed. Make it happen Rocksteady.

I saw the latter animation, like your friend, so I'm not sure what you saw. A glitch?

No!! everything was working as suposed too I'm sure, maybe I was under the toxin and made all this up... I don't know but until this morning I was pretty sure that was how it happened... :S

SomTervo

I reaaaaallly like this one's story. It's ballsy and creative, with the exception of the Arkham Knight, who is just an astonishingly irritating character. This could have been Batman vs Scarecrow Army and I think it would have been a better game.

The city itself is incredible; I'm not seeing a lot of repetitious content. It's not a great open world, in the sense that it doesn't sell itself like an actual Gotham. As a Batman playground, however, it's superb.

The side missions are of varying quality. None of them stand out to me as particularly good. Like... I enjoy playing them, because the core combat is so good that it's just wonderful, but the missions themselves kinda... suck, mostly just repeating the same actions between three and ten or so times, often using the same animations and repeated behaviors to do it in.

The Batmobile controls are WEIRD. I like it a lot, and I like the riddler puzzles involving it, but I hate having to hold down LT to be in battle mode and X for brake. Would have preferred toggle X for modes and LT to brake/reverse.

Core combat so fun I've put 18 hours into this game in two mammoth play sessions. Story was great except for the Knight. Sidequests kinda suck.

You can toggle those controls, Seuss. Go into Gameplay Options. You can make it LT to brake and R1 to toggle into Battle Mode.

I totally agree otherwise - except I really enjoy the sidequests on the whole.

I would highly recommend changing the controls to "toggle battle mode". I did it about 30 mins in and haven't looked back. It feels much more natural.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said^

Sojgat

Does anyone if you're supposed to get anything immediately after buying the Season Pass?

Bought it last night and nothing happened, or started downlading. Is it all coming in the future or should something have been accessible straight away?

Also, I'm sorry for buying the Season Pass. I'm aware this makes me part of the problem.

Playing on PS4.

You're meant to get a Flashpoint skin. Looking on gamefaqs, a few people have reported trouble with it not showing up.

Playing on PS4.

I got some black and grey bat suit with red eyes and the Harley Quinn mission right away. Think that's it.

Anung

Un Rama
This penguin mission glitch is infuriating. Totally blocking my 100% run. Probably going to have to do a new game plus or something.

Sheppard

So, I think I am nearing the end of the game and I was wondering if there is a point of no return that states I will not be able to finish up getting the riddler stuff / side quests finished. If there is a PNR does the game state that to you?

Cairnsay

Banned

Playing on PS4.

I have had this exact same problem. No sign of the skin, even continues to advertise the season pass at the start menu. I imagine there will be a fix coming as a few people seem to be having this issue.

That's weird,
I also saw the version where Joker walks in front of her the moment she does it.
I wonder if it's a glitch or some super rare alternate version of the scene?

It's seems a glitch because I looked the video on youtube and everyone has the same scene... I don't know, everything happened to me almost exactly as the videos except for that one thing, maybe I was shocked but I really don't remember it happening that way.

UnLemon

Neo Member
So I bought this day 0, had it preloaded and everything and played it for about an hour the night it unlocked. Unfortunately that night tornadoes touched down in my area and the power was cut while I was playing, I say "meh" and go to sleep.

I tried to play the next night and I get a complete crash to the dashboard as soon as the game gets past the Rocksteady logo. I'm thinking either the saved or game data was corrupted by the outage so I deleted both files (nothing Batman related on my HD anymore) and start the giant download again. "Meh", sleep.

Finally last night I tried it again and the exact same issue pops up. I'm not really sure what to do; my PS4 doesn't seem borked since other games work fine, it just won't let me be the bat. :(

pilferk

Neo Member
@UnLemon,

Clear your cache data (if you haven't, already) and see if that fixes the issue. I've had similar issues, a couple times before, and that seems to fix it.

Alienous

You know, everything I dislike about the game can be summed up with one element.

The battle mode of the Batmobile a.k.a. the tank. I thought it might be the Batmobile entirely but no, it's really just the battle mode.

The tags are a precaution, but there aren't really any spoilers there, just game mechanics that are introduced as the game goes on that I don't want to reveal for players who haven't reached that point naturally.

Its inclusion seems to have been to 'spice things up', and the method of doing so was mixing a vapid shooter with a movement mini-game that has 2 layers to it (lines and
circular areas of impact
).

With that they could have hours of the gameplay dedicated to destroying menacing AI drones in a Batmobile equipped with explosive rounds and a vulcan minigun - all of these things are contrived solely to expand the gameplay modes in an Arkham game to include a shooting gallery.

Plot-wise
it doesn't make sense.
The Arkham Knight has a drone army, amassed (End game spoilers)
with 3 billion dollars that Two-Face, The Penguin, Riddler, Harley Quinn and Scarecrow managed to drum up.
Batman is decked out ...
------just because-------

And it allowed them to be a lot less clever with the boss design. (boss who isn't in the game spoilers)
"Should we create an interesting boss battle with Killer Croc, there's precedence for that happening in the plot?", "We could do that ... or we could throw a bunch of AI drones at the player", "But won't that get boring?", "Eh, we'll just make bigger drones".

It takes up too much of the gameplay time, and it has pretty much 0% to do with 'Being the Batman'. Driving around, blowing shit up is not a Batman thing. Being in pursuit mode and chasing down an vehicle, dodging missiles and trying to immobilize it absolutely is.

It's a crutch they rely on too often, because it's so easy to ramp up the intensity of it. It isn't a terrible game mechanic, but when
Predator areas are lacking
and
dual-play works so well, but only occurs in particular instances
the fact that you do so much of it is irksome.

If they had taken the Battle mode of the Batmobile off of the table early in development and stuck to the pursuit mode I imagine that the Arkham Knight would be a better game.

pilferk

Neo Member
Love the game but the batmobile is overused and Me personally I don't enjoy using it in battlemode

I liked it a LOT more when I turned the "toggle Battlemode" on in the options screen, so I could use L2 (PS4) to brake/reverse.

The Batmobile stuff def feels "forced" to me, too....

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Visually this game looks amazing. I haven't played any of the previous Batman games. To be honest not even a huge Batman fan. But I'm definitely gonna be getting this on PS4 once I've finished up Witcher 3.

0racle

Question about the three endings, do I need 7 most wanted, all riddler before I beat the main story to get all 3 endings?

Or can I beat it now and trigger a scene, beat the most wanted later and then riddler later? Are there trophies tied to the third endings?

Blader

I'm only 45% through the story now, but I agree, it's way more interesting than the last two games though the Knight is a really dumb character.

I especially love the presentation in this game. The scene in the Clock Tower
where the room changes any time you change the camera angle, and suddenly you're in Barbara's apartment watching her get shot
was incredibly well done. And there have been a few other similar
mind-trips with the Joker
that are really good.

pilferk

Neo Member
You know, everything I dislike about the game can be summed up with one element.

The battle mode of the Batmobile a.k.a. the tank. I thought it might be the Batmobile entirely but no, it's really just the battle mode.

The tags are a precaution, but there aren't really any spoilers there, just game mechanics that are introduced as the game goes on that I don't want to reveal for players who haven't reached that point naturally.

Its inclusion seems to have been to 'spice things up', and the method of doing so was mixing a vapid shooter with a movement mini-game that has 2 layers to it (lines and
circular areas of impact
).

With that they could have hours of the gameplay be dedicated to destroying menacing AI drones in a Batmobile equipped with explosive rounds and a vulcan minigun - all of these things are contrived solely to expand the gameplay modes in an Arkham game to include a shooting gallery.

Plot-wise
it doesn't make sense.
The Arkham Knight has a drone army, amassed (End game spoilers)
with 3 billion dollars that Two-Face, The Penguin, Riddler, Harley Quinn and Scarecrow managed to drum up.
Batman is decked out ...
------just because-------

And it allowed them to be a lot less clever with the boss design. (boss who isn't in the game spoilers)
"Should we create an interesting boss battle with Killer Croc, there's precedence for that happening in the plot?", "We could do that ... or we could throw a bunch of AI drones at the player", "But won't that get boring?", "Eh, we'll just make bigger drones".

It takes up too much of the gameplay time, and it has pretty much 0% to do with 'Being the Batman'. Driving around, blowing shit up is not a Batman thing. Being in pursuit mode and chasing down an vehicle, dodging missiles and trying to immobilize it absolutely is.

It's a crutch they rely on too often, because it's so easy to ramp up the intensity of it. It isn't a terrible game mechanic, but when
Predator areas are lacking
and
dual-play works so well, but only occurs in particular instances

If they had taken the Battle mode of the Batmobile off of the table early in development and stuck to the pursuit mode I imagine that the Arkham Knight would be a better game.

Agree, with a lot of this!

I LIKED
Firefly
sections, where it was just pursuit.

I've liked the battle mode sections
like defend the bomb in the road
a lot less!

pilferk

Neo Member
Quick question: I just saw someone tweet they are now pulling the console versions from sale, too.

I hadn't heard/seen that info anywhere else. Anyone know if it's true and have a link to anyone else reporting the news?

I trust the person who tweeted it...but allow it's possible she either misread or was given bad info.

Alienous

Quick question: I just saw someone tweet they are now pulling the console versions from sale, too.

I hadn't heard/seen that info anywhere else. Anyone know if it's true and have a link to anyone else reporting the news?

I trust the person who tweeted it...but allow it's possible she either misread or was given bad info.

I don't think they're doing that. Probably bad info.

hbkdx12

The game has so many nice little touches and things that really do elevate the game which makes it all the more unfortunate that it gets hampered with the over use of the batmobile (although at this point i don't personally mind it)

I just got to the point where you tag the truck and follow it back to (mild character spoiler)
penguin's hideout
. The part where you're interrogating him and the guards attack you from the background and you can counter them while still interrogating him was just incredibly badass even though it didn't last long.

Stuff like that is awesome and makes you feel amazing.

Dual combat is fantastic. If they don't roll out some kind of DLC challenges rooms that revolve around this, it's gonna be a huge missed opportunity.

Why would they do that? Sounds like bad info.

pilferk

Neo Member
Why would they do that? Sounds like bad info.

I know there have been some reports of "showstopping" console bugs in specific areas...but I'm not sure that would do it, on it's own. Unless they found something they just CAN'T patch out, and will require restart for a good number of people (like, MOST)....but I'm not sure even then.

That's why I asked here. :) Couldn't find any other mention, figured the Gaffers would know!

Sojgat

I read an article that claimed JB and EB are pulling it in Australia, but I was just in JB at closing time, and they were still selling it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said before the inherent problem with the Batmobile is that it's not cohesive with the evolution of game systems built around playing Batman. And that's fine, but can also cause a wedge within the desire to play as Batman (which is why the games are popular in the first place) and try something new. Ignoring the fact it's the Batmobile, activating it and being required to use it in the story is more or less identical to a game booting up a secondary character. The game basically goes "you are no longer playing Batman, you are playing this new character, that does things Batman cannot do but also cannot do things Batman does". Yeah, it's the Batmobile, but that's what it's asking from players: to stop playing Batman and instead play Batmobile.

So even if it controls well and plays well or whatever else, even if some people love it, it's still so massively different from what the series has been developed on for years now that I can see why some people wish it didn't exist at all.

Daximuss

For those of you that are doing Riddler's enviroment riddles, (push up on d-pad to analyze) don't forget to go into your "Gotham City Stories" section and read about them once you've solved them. I completed one of the riddles at a lighthouse that turned out to be very interesting lore-wise.

Alienous

As I said before the inherent problem with the Batmobile is that it's not cohesive with the evolution of game systems built around playing Batman. And that's fine, but can also cause a wedge within the desire to play as Batman (which is why the games are popular in the first place) and try something new. Ignoring the fact it's the Batmobile, activating it and being required to use it in the story is more or less identical to a game booting up a secondary character. The game basically goes "you are no longer playing Batman, you are playing this new character, that does things Batman cannot do but also cannot do things Batman does". Yeah, it's the Batmobile, but that's what it's asking from players: to stop playing Batman and instead play Batmobile.

So even if it controls well and plays well or whatever else, even if some people love it, it's still so massively different from what the series has been developed on for years now that I can see why some people wish it didn't exist at all.

It runs a little deeper than that. The complaints aren't about the pursuit mode of the Batmobile, so it goes beyond 'not being Batman'.

It's less that it makes the battle-mode Batmobile a second character, and more that there's so much of it, and about how it influences the design of elements of the game (like boss battles). It is to gameplay what Raiden was to the plot of MGS2.

hbkdx12

Agree, with a lot of this!

I LIKED
Firefly
sections, where it was just pursuit.

I've liked the battle mode sections
like defend the bomb in the road
a lot less!

Thematically, the
firefly
sections are just dumb. I just rolled my eyes after the second time where i'm like
ok, so we're just gonna keep tackling him, beating him down and just let him go so we can do it all over again?
Silly

I liked the batmobile sections where you had to chase down the tanks. It basically turned into burnout at that point and it was a nice change of pace.

I also don't mind the battle mode aspect too much but i realize im in the minority

Majanew

Banned
Damn this game is pretty; First screenshot almost looks like The Order quality.

http://i.cubeupload.com/7av4Uv.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/1kNy8M.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/RiaAJd.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/BrtTsO.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/CiWFGA.jpg

Sorry for the screenshot dump -- But goddamn, this is PS4 footage, unbelievable.
It's nowhere near The Order quality because the IQ is rough. The zipper on Catwoman honestly makes the game look very sub 1080p with how bad it's aliased. I agree that the game looks good, but damn the jaggies can be pretty bad in a lot of spots.

The more I get into the game, the more impressed I am. It's great to see that Rocksteady sense of style and design back in the franchise. Everything is just a little bit cooler and slicker.

And for all the talk about the batmobile being the only new element, the additions to the combat, predator and traversal gameplay all feel like logical and well thought out.

The open world is everything it should be - beautiful, dark, gothic, neon and noir, and Rocksteady now has the advantage of drawing on everything that's come before to tell its story and position its characters.

The batmobile is mostly fun and well integrated as well. The tank combat is probably the only negative so far, but the game has so much else going for it, it's not a big issue.

Yeah, that's my biggest takeaway and people going off about how there's quite a bit of Tanking are neglecting all the highs in between. The tank complaints: i do not really understand. Maybe I missed the manifesto. They are spread apart enough to where they make up just a small % of the story and the player has full control over the pace in which they tackle sidequests. The good bits reach such high levels that they easily outweigh anything that can be complained about.

I am addicted to this game. The story has some unbelievable moments told with some amazing presentation. The sense of dread and all that is stake could not be more pronounced if they tried. The combat is as fun as ever, traversal is great, and I like the sidequests save for the road blocks and towers which are my only two complaints. It really feels like a more fleshed out playground to be Batman.

Can't wait to see if my thoughts on who the Arkham Knight is holds true.

Which is baffling considering all the noise we hear from gamers about how they're tired of the rehashing of old ideas. I do not agree that the issue is that people hate not playing batman or playing a different character (catwoman and sidekicks made an appearance last game for example), I think they just don't find it fun. With that said, RS took a risk, tried to spice it up. I would rather they do that and get by with a serviceable mechanic than just recreate Arkham City 2.0. Were I playing the same game spread out over the course of 3 games in 6 years, I would have been pissed.

Granted I haven't played long enough for the Batmobile to get old, but right now my biggest problem with this game is all the damn rain. That and how the camera automatically pans down when gliding, even if you turn off automatic camera whatever.

That might be true for some people, but my biggest problem is simply that I don't think the tank battle gameplay adheres to the same level of quality as the rest of the game. Every other style of gameplay, from puzzle-solving to combat to stealth and everything in between, is polished to a mirror sheen in Rocksteady's games, offering fun, varied and interesting challenges. I even like most of the non-combat uses of the Batmobile, and I was happy to see all its various non-combat uses in the story missions.

However, you always, always end up strafing around a circular arena, dodging red lines and blowing up drones for several minutes at a time, and that just isn't fun. Even if its ludicrous over-use in the story missions doesn't wear you out, there's another couple of dozen instances of it in side missions and AR challenges, plus the knowledge that you're going to be doing it all over again any time you want to replay the game. Unlike the stealth sections or the combat, there's no variety to be found; no alternate ways to play or different tactics to try. You're not going to be clamouring for the next Tank Battle Challenge Room to test your skills on. You dodge the lines and you shoot the things. Apart from a few of the more frustrating enemy types, you see everything there is to see of tank battling the very first time the game makes you do it.

I feel Arkham Knight has a few more flaws than just the endless tank battling (Ubisoft side-missions, uninspiring bosses and no real Metroidvania-ness, mainly), but honestly if they'd just cut out like 75% of it I think it'd be a vastly superior experience. Keep every other form of Batmobile gameplay and just lose all those tedious arena shootouts.

Damn this game is pretty; First screenshot almost looks like The Order quality.

CiWFGA.jpg

Sorry for the screenshot dump -- But goddamn, this is PS4 footage, unbelievable.

that catwoman downgrade ;_;

I played this for four more hours yesterday, and progressed a decent amount. I'm trying to do everything outside of all of the Riddler trophies, because I'm not great at those and they'll take forever.

Anyways, I'm liking it more, and right now I'd give it an 8 or a 9/10. It's not a 10/10 due to pacing issues and an overemphasis on Batmobile combat, but that's fine. It is certainly a very good game.

I never said it was bad, though.

Question: How far am I away from the end, if I
just blew up the Penguin's first cache in the story? I'm still hunting for Barbara.

Tovarisc

That's one interpretation, the ending is left ambiguous.

Don't click if endgame spoilers aren't your thing!

I didn't think it was ambiguous considering how very similar events and things have went down in comics. Even effect we see at the end is basically 1:1 with one that Scarecrow experiences when he looks at Batman while under of his own toxin.

I'm pretty sure that isn't it.

(Endgame spoilers)
It didn't seem like that's what they were conveying. I think it was just someone new and mysterious taking up the mantle, thus filling the criminals with the dread that Batman had at the beginning of his career and lost over time. A lot of how the scene plays out seems to just be saying "History is repeating itself".

(Endgame spoilers)
Fear effect that goons experience at the very end is pretty much 1:1 with one that Scarecrow experiences when he looks at Batman, at Bruce, when he is under his own toxin. This coupled with the fact that in comics Bruce has done this kinda thing, faked his own death to protect people around Bruce and to basically become full time, new, Batman.

I'm really hating the Drone Zone AR challenge. Fuck that thing. I've been on it for awhile and the closest I've gotten is within 9 seconds of three stars. But I'll keep at it, I've got a compulsion to get three stars in everything.

Hagi

Aw man I'm at the movie studios and the story is getting pretty depressing. :(

BIG SPOILERS
Seeing Jason getting tortured is really fucked up. Joker showing him a picture of Batman and Tim is just all kinds of wrong and really makes me feel for him.

Top Bottom