• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

schick85

I think this game made me realize I am done with gaming. Nothing excites me anymore with games.

I am just going thru the motions and I am overwhelmed by how many damn moves and gadgets he has. I can't remember half of it and I don't want to upgrade and look at that hexagonal upgrade interface. I just don't care. I am not enjoying it at all.

I've become a casual gamer I guess.
Weren't you one of the guys bragging about getting this early? LMAO

That's easy enough with 4 thugs.

Trying to be that smooth with a ninja, brute and an electrified foe doesn't amount to anything the freeform.

Sure it does, there's just more dodging, vaulting, and cape stunning. Plus when there are contextual environmental objects in the room, R.I.P Everyone, BATMAN WAZ HERRE

Alienous

Did this guy just discover Batman, or is he a concern troll? Because that is literally Batman's entire schtick and has been since the 80s.

Batman does a bit more than that in this game, (spoilers for an event in the game)
with the wheels of the Batmobile on someone's head.

Raptomex

I normally don't have an issue adapting to controls and maybe it's because I haven't played an Arkham game since Origins launched but I'm still fumbling with the controls in this game. The basics I have down but the driving throws me off every now and then and there's so many "this button + that button" I can't remember them all so I have to think for a sec when they flash on the screen. Other than that I'm enjoying the game. Looks and sounds great, too. In fact the sound design is amazing. I'm playing with the Elite headphones.

Fire the vulcan (the machine gun) at the sensor on most tanks (the blue/purple glowing thingy). Perfect = OHKO, Critical = you hit in the general area, did some damage I believe is how it works.

I didn't realise this until well after I'd finished the main story, but it seems so silly to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like only the light tanks have this purple glowy critical weakpoint, and those are the ones that go down in one hit from the main cannon anyway. Give me a critical weakpoint on the big ones that take two or three hits, for God's sake; let me get it over with faster.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Batman does a bit more than that in this game, (spoilers for an event in the game)
with the wheels of the Batmobile on someone's head.

Again, this is exactly Batman. He won't kill, but he'll do just about anything else. He's walled a dude up in a subway tunnel before, paralyzed guys, broke people's hands to they could never really hold things correctly and so on. Batman 89 straight up killed people. Nolan's Batman tortured people, too. I feel that if you have any passing knowledge of Batman past his campy 60s movie/TV show this is pretty much like pretending to suddenly be concerned that there is a guy in the Marvel Universe that kills criminals without allowing them due process. And then attached some lazy, lazy, lazy political rhetoric to is just bewildering. Might as well talk about the liberal agenda of drug use behind the Mario Games, or how GTA causes people to go on shooting sprees. I thought we were all way beyond that stage.

schick85

Can't believe people are down on this game, or not praising it more anyway. I actually skipped Arkham City because the idea of an open world batman didn't really appeal to me but after playing this I think Rocksteady did really well. Just the types of interaction you can have around the world, complete with these smooth animations, really sell the feeling of being batman better than anything else for me. And the game is doing surprisingly impressive things when it comes to destructability, even the smaller power winch sequences.

I'm mid-way through the game so I can't commit on the full story line yet but I'm loving 1/3rd of the game spoiler
joker's appearances throughout everything, incredibly detailed and well done. Really sells the idea of him having gotten in Batman's head and driving him insane, I was sure they weren't going to commit to it but they've actually been incredibly consistent with his appearances.
All I can say is it only gets better. The usage of the character you mention is one of the high notes in this game. He's incredibly well fleshed out and his appearance never fails to disappoint. Too bad he can't be talked about more openly since doing so would be a huge spoiler to those just playing.

mikeybass

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure this just means it'll be a unique location you will be taken to in due course. Don't worry about - unless you're at like 99% completion and it's the last thing left which still won't work.

Afraid not. I am completely, irrecoverably locked in the room. Not the first person to have this issue too it would seem - Link.

Gutted.

nOoblet16

Is it possible to finish the side missions after finishing the main story and get the proper ending or do I need to have finished all of them before approaching the last mission?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Joker singing is brilliant.

Also, they make it really obvious who the Arkham Knight is.

komplanen

I saw Jonathan McIntosh complaining about torture in Arkham Knight on Twitter

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/614241104247001088

Haven't played the game so maybe Batman does go full Guantanamo Bay, but somehow I doubt it...

To me it seems he doesn't have a problem with Batman being brutal and torturing people but rather that this is just another piece of media that makes people think torture works well (in real life) when all the evidence says 'lol no'.

And he's right. Despite all the evidence and CIA witnesses, even this guy was told on Twitter "but it does work" which is nothing but a false idea picked up from movies (and this Batman video game).

Now I'm just not someone who really cares that much but I figured this dude shouldn't be bashed for the wrong reasons.

So, I have 3 sidequests that are stuck and they don't appear to be moving forward anymore.
Campaign for disarmament is stuck at 66%, Occupy Gotham is stuck at 80% and gunrunner at 40%.

The only other side quest I haven't finished is Riddler's and I'm at 90% story (wanted to 100% the game before finishing it).

Crypt

I have to say that gamespot's 7/10 score is very fitting for this game. The endless tank battles really do take the game down from a solid 9 to a 7. I feel like they tried to pad the game way too much with Batmobile stuff. I would have been fine with the Batmobile puzzles and the occasional chase, but having to do a tank battle every other mission just ruined a lot of the experience for me. Other than that, it feels very much like the other games, which is good because they got the formula down pretty well.

Also, the plot twists were incredibly easy to spot. Knew who arkham knight was right off the bat.
Could tell Barb didn't actually get killed. The last quarantine chamber was for Bats himself.
But overall the story was still pretty enjoyable. Especially
Joker singing.

For anyone still weary about the open world aspect, if you just play the main missions (which is what I did this time), it's an incredibly linear and directed experience.

idonteven

how awesome would it be to play a superman game in the same universe ? never thought anyone would ever make a good batman game so maybe there is a chance for a good superman game ?

Caode

So pretty.

umN2e2o.jpg

sn00zer

2 HUGE problems Ive had with the game

1. The entire first hour of the game was spoiled by marketing gameplay video series and trailers, including the incredible opening. NO reason to have made that a trailer at E3, really diminished the effect.

2. Art deign is way way waaaaaay too busy i the city. Its really hard to tell what the fuck is even going on unless you are casually walking around, which the game doesnt encourage due to the constant flying.

Also the batmobile is great, and story 50% of the way through has been pretty damn good as well dunno why people dont like it

BIG SPOILER
Holy shit are they doing the Killing Joke? HOLY SHIT THEY ARE DOING THE KILLING JOKE

Roussow

Damn this game is pretty; First screenshot almost looks like The Order quality.

7av4Uv.jpg

1kNy8M.jpg

RiaAJd.jpg

BrtTsO.jpg

CiWFGA.jpg

Sorry for the screenshot dump -- But goddamn, this is PS4 footage, unbelievable.

Hagi

how awesome would it be to play a superman game in the same universe ? never thought anyone would ever make a good batman game so maybe there is a chance for a good superman game ?

They tease that DC world aspect a lot in this game so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a Superman or Justice League type game in the future. I'd really like to see a Superman game by Rocksteady take place between Braniacs bottled cities. Would be a cool and varied setting to explore instead of Metropolis.

dan2026

This game is damn amazing. Cant stop playing. Every time I stop I just want to get back and do more missions.
Its like crack.

Defiantly my GOTY so far. Going to take a lot to beat.

2 HUGE problems Ive had with the game

1. The entire first hour of the game was spoiled by marketing gameplay video series and trailers, including the incredible opening. NO reason to have made that a trailer at E3, really diminished the effect.

2. Art deign is way way waaaaaay too busy i the city. Its really hard to tell what the fuck is even going on unless you are casually walking around, which the game doesnt encourage due to the constant flying.

Also the batmobile is great, and story 50% of the way through has been pretty damn good as well dunno why people dont like it

BIG SPOILER
Holy shit are they doing the Killing Joke? HOLY SHIT THEY ARE DOING THE KILLING JOKE

That part was so damn good. In fact, I love pretty much every scene between
Batman and Joker
. <- Post Ace-Spoiler.

SomTervo

For anyone still weary about the open world aspect, if you just play the main missions (which is what I did this time), it's an incredibly linear and directed experience.

I feel like most of the people bashing on the game focused on just powering through the story missions.

I'm doing a handful of side missions to each story mission, and it's fucking brilliant. Possibly-beating Asylum brilliant. Plus the couple of people in this thread who started off complaining are now complaining less and less the more they do side content, as far as I can tell.

This game is damn amazing. Cant stop playing. Every time I stop I just want to get back and do more missions.
Its like crack.

Defiantly my GOTY so far. Going to take a lot to beat.

Yeah, this and The Witcher 3 are my tied top atm.

Just finished up the Two-Face missions. They were really good.

Seeing GCPD fill up with all the criminals you catch is such a nice touch.

Alienous

I feel like most of the people bashing on the game focused on just powering through the story missions.

I'm doing a handful of side missions to each story mission, and it's fucking brilliant. Possibly-beating Asylum brilliant. Plus the couple of people in this thread who started off complaining are now complaining less and less the more they do side content, as far as I can tell.

I doubt it. I've seen more than a few 'bashing' opinions of the game that consider side mission content also.

By the time I reached the last main story mission I had more than half of the side missions fully completed, and most of the others above 50%, for instance.

Most of the side mission content is eh, anyway.

SomTervo

I doubt it. I've seen more than a few 'bashing' opinions of the game that consider side mission content also.

Most of the side mission content is eh, anyway.

I personally love the side content.

The only side content bashing I've seen is the Batmobile-forced ones, eg Riddler's main challenges and the street-mines. (Which absolutely deserve to be bashed). I only saw DocSeuss complain about any other type of side mission, and he was complaining about all of them.

I can't get over how seamless everything is. This game has some of the best animations I've ever seen.

Regarding the infamous jump scare moment that everyone is talking about:
Holy shit, I knew it was coming at some point and he still got me good. I just wish the mission was fleshed out a little more, I'd love a mid-air battle with him.

So traversal in this game is easily the best in the series. I don't know why a lot of us are saying that exploring is hampered due to the Batmobile. It's entirely optional when exploring. Stringing Dive Bombs, Grappling, and Gliding at full speed? Amazing.

The more I get into the game, the more impressed I am. It's great to see that Rocksteady sense of style and design back in the franchise. Everything is just a little bit cooler and slicker.

And for all the talk about the batmobile being the only new element, the additions to the combat, predator and traversal gameplay all feel like logical and well thought out.

The open world is everything it should be - beautiful, dark, gothic, neon and noir, and Rocksteady now has the advantage of drawing on everything that's come before to tell its story and position its characters.

The batmobile is mostly fun and well integrated as well. The tank combat is probably the only negative so far, but the game has so much else going for it, it's not a big issue.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Damn this game is pretty; First screenshot almost looks like The Order quality.

7av4Uv.jpg

1kNy8M.jpg

RiaAJd.jpg

BrtTsO.jpg

CiWFGA.jpg

Sorry for the screenshot dump -- But goddamn, this is PS4 footage, unbelievable.
Holy shit this game needs a photomode ASAP.

Sojgat

That's easy enough with 4 thugs.

Trying to be that smooth with a ninja, brute and an electrified foe doesn't amount to anything the freeform.

It's just faster than the previous games (even Origins), especially those ninjas when going for a blade dodge takedown.

Once you get all the moves unlocked, and learn the new enemies, it all feels great.

Too bad there aren't any proper challenge maps to use all this new stuff on though.

Alienous

Combat feels amazing once you get used to it.
Are Harley and Scarecrow Nightmare DLC as short as Red Hood?

Yeah.

Harley's is about 15 minutes long. It's slightly longer than Red Hood's, as it has rooms to travel through in-between the 4 challenge room like areas.

The Scarecrow Nightmare DLC is basically 3 (missions) x 5 minutes (the amount of time to complete a mission, approximately), divided into three challenge maps, so again it's about as long.

Hey I've a question regarding 50% big story part!!

Was talking to a friend regarding what happened to Barbara and he said to me "it's a shame they don't actually show how she shot herself" so we started a debate because I actually saw how everything happened, Joker was at her side, she fired at me and then said "you won't get me" and blowed her head, but I saw the whole thing clean. My friend says that when that happened the Joker moved in front of Batman raised his hand to his head and made the gesture of shooting his head, then he moved away and Barbara was dead. So, there are different animations?? please don't spoil what happens later because I don't know.

So traversal in this game is easily the best in the series. I don't know why a lot of us are saying that exploring is hampered due to the Batmobile. It's entirely optional when exploring. Stringing Dive Bombs, Grappling, and Gliding at full speed? Amazing.

Easily. It's also the quickest. Super eject via Batmobile while driving at full speeds into a glide is amazing.

Top Bottom