• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Tovarisc

that catwoman downgrade ;_;

Downgrade?

Arkham-City-122.jpg

point:

Which is baffling considering all the noise we hear from gamers about how they're tired of the rehashing of old ideas. I do not agree that the issue is that people hate not playing batman or playing a different character (catwoman and sidekicks made an appearance last game for example), I think they just don't find it fun. With that said, RS took a risk, tried to spice it up. I would rather they do that and get by with a serviceable mechanic than just recreate Arkham City 2.0. Were I playing the same game spread out over the course of 3 games in 6 years, I would have been pissed...

counterpoint:

However, you always, always end up strafing around a circular arena, dodging red lines and blowing up drones for several minutes at a time, and that just isn't fun. Even if its ludicrous over-use in the story missions doesn't wear you out, there's another couple of dozen instances of it in side missions and AR challenges, plus the knowledge that you're going to be doing it all over again any time you want to replay the game. Unlike the stealth sections or the combat, there's no variety to be found; no alternate ways to play or different tactics to try. You're not going to be clamouring for the next Tank Battle Challenge Room to test your skills on. You dodge the lines and you shoot the things. Apart from a few of the more frustrating enemy types, you see everything there is to see of tank battling the very first time the game makes you do it...

there's introducing something new, there's foisting it on you over'n'over, & there's 'well, just how interesting/fun is it in the first place?'. depending on where you're coming from, the batmobile is either fresh, or bordering on game-breaking. the main problem with it, imo: too many story missions & boss battles require it. had it mostly been restricted to optional missions & challenges, i think everyone'd be good with it. as is, i feel it's tedious, unenjoyable, really damages the over-all experience & seriously undermines everything else that's done well...

Aw man I'm at the movie studios and the story is getting pretty depressing. :(

BIG SPOILERS
Seeing Jason getting tortured is really fucked up. Joker showing him a picture of Batman and Tim is just all kinds of wrong and really makes me feel for him.

That entire segment was just unbelievably good. I hope the flashbacks do not allude to
the identity of Arkham Knight. If AK turns out to be Jason, I am going to be pissed ha ha

there's introducing something new, there's foisting it on you over'n'over, & there's 'well, just how interesting/fun is it in the first place?'. depending on where you're coming from, the batmobile is either fresh, or bordering on game-breaking. the main problem with it, imo: too many story missions & boss battles require it. had it mostly been restricted to optional missions & challenges, i think everyone'd be good with it. as is, i feel it's tedious, unenjoyable, really damages the over-all experience & seriously undermines everything else that's done well...

See, I do not understand how people quantify "overused", "a lot" or "undermines". There's less of it than any other core element (ground combat, flight traversal, story) of the game. I do not, personally of course, believe one lesser element/mechanic undermines what the game does well (on a side note, some people here refuse to even state what the game does well and narrow their comments to that one element of a much bigger game so it is hard for me to grasp what is being said in these instances)

You can understand how strange the "undermine" argument is to a guy like me who thinks Witcher 3 is one of the best games to come out in a long time despite its core mechanic, namely combat, being some of the worst I've ever played. The sum of the parts do add up in the end or CAN I should say if people take a realistic perspective on it.

So, am I right in thinking that this game just doesn't have the standard Combat/Predator Challenge Rooms any more? I searched through the menus, but it seems like it's just the AR Challenges, which seem really barebones. I found one short combat one where you play as Azrael, but the rest seem to be Batman-only, and there are only a handful of Combat/Predator ones.

It's so weird that they'd have playable versions of Catwoman, Robin and all the other characters used in almost one-off setpieces and then never again. I can only think the plan was always to sell the proper Challenge Rooms back to us as DLC, which is just gross.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
very impressed with the game, overall. this was a huge, huge step up from Arkham City. Some of the scenarios later on in the story are incredibly ambitious. This is the first next-gen game of its type to feel like it's genuinely doing things that couldn't have been done before.

(all I have left now are some AR missions and the Riddler trophies)

So, am I right in thinking that this game just doesn't have the standard Combat/Predator Challenge Rooms any more? I searched through the menus, but it seems like it's just the AR Challenges, which seem really barebones. I found one short combat one where you play as Azrael, but the rest seem to be Batman-only, and there are only a handful of Combat/Predator ones.

It's so weird that they'd have playable versions of Catwoman, Robin and all the other characters used in almost one-off setpieces and then never again. I can only think the plan was always to sell the proper Challenge Rooms back to us as DLC, which is just gross.
S E A S O N P A S S B O Y Z

Pilgrimzero

I'm kind of peeved that Selina is only a victim so far. After I do all of Riddler's key stuff is she finally free?

I very much doubt Ill be looking for all the trophys.

BTW. how funny is it that even that people are kidnapped, villains are everywhere, bombs in the streets, man bat, dead bodies, fires, etc etc etc not to mention Scarecrow, that Batman is all "Ill do it myself" despite his allies offering to come help.

I get its a game and that stuff is there to give the game some padding, just the city is literally coming down around him and he needs to be in 10 places at once, and Bat's won't accept any help.

At least with Nightwing had a valid response "Bludhaven needs you". With Robin, his partner and sidekick it's "Just stay out of it." Really?

Alienous

There's a Batman-Nightwing dual-play challenge map.

But yeah, it's very bare bones. Most of the freeflow and predator challenge map arrangements aren't as good as the ones in the previous game, and there's far less of them (4 for each gameplay mode).

So yeah, it sucks, and discovering that was the point where I wanted to trade in the game. If nothing else I expected the challenge mode to be solid, because it has gotten better and better in the games since Asylum).

Roussow

It's nowhere near The Order quality because the IQ is rough. The zipper on Catwoman honestly makes the game look very sub 1080p with how bad it's aliased. I agree that the game looks good, but damn the jaggies can be pretty bad in a lot of spots.

Mostly just referring to the shot of the Officer looking through the bars -- aesthetically it resembles The Order, a familiar sense of depth-of-field, grain, and color grading was present in that specific screenshot I took.

You're right about the aliasing though, Catwomans zipper is crazy distracting in gameplay, the aliasing is actually a little diminished in the shot I took, thanks to the DOF. But if that's the price to pay for the quality and performance of the rest of the game then I can absolutely deal with it.

Sojgat

Based on the vague season pass info available, more traditional challenge maps are going to be DLC.

It's gross.

So traversal in this game is easily the best in the series. I don't know why a lot of us are saying that exploring is hampered due to the Batmobile. It's entirely optional when exploring. Stringing Dive Bombs, Grappling, and Gliding at full speed? Amazing.

This.

I actually like the Batmobile but have found myself gliding around a lot more. Its much easier to hear the opera music while gliding vs. driving.

The Batmobile is just awesome sometimes. There was a checkpoint on founders island that I couldnt beat after about 5-6 attempts due to a bunch of auto turrets being placed around the area....Until I found a wall that I could wreck with the Batmobile then I just drove in and blew the place up. Felt good.

Alienous

This.

I actually like the Batmobile but have found myself gliding around a lot more. Its much easier to hear the opera music while gliding vs. driving.

The Batmobile is just awesome sometimes. There was a checkpoint on founders island that I couldnt beat after about 5-6 attempts due to a bunch of auto turrets being placed around the area....Until I found a wall that I could wreck with the Batmobile then I just drove in and blew the place up. Felt good.

That's a chicken/egg thing.

The only reason those auto-turrets are there is for you to take them out with the Batmobile.

The pursuit mode Batmobile chases are awesome, though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So..I just finished the ACE Chemicals segment....holy shit! Wow, and this is just the start of the story. Holy shit man this game.

I like how you get to play as different characters, and fight in tandem. Also enjoyed playing as Harley in the DLC, but it was super short.

The only reason those auto-turrets are there is for you to take them out with the Batmobile.

The pursuit mode Batmobile chases are awesome, though.

Im convinced that its doable without the batmobile though, but its just really tough. There are crates and stuff to hide behind but...

filepicker-sUCZIgDHQTKreXrg0RxL_ain-t-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Alienous

Im convinced that its doable without the batmobile though, but its just really tough. There are crates and stuff to hide behind but...

filepicker-sUCZIgDHQTKreXrg0RxL_ain-t-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Oh, it can be done that way, yeah. My preferred method was marking the turrets with the
upgraded disruptor, which causes marked turrets to explode when fired.
Hop up on a fence behind a turret, throw a batarang at a guards and the run. They rush towards where the batarang came from, and most will gather around the turret. Dive into the middle, the turret tries to fire,
boom
, and the road is taken back. No fuss, no muss, no Batmobile.

pilferk

Neo Member
Do people feel its necessary to play the two previous games(+origins?)

It's not NECESSARY.

You'll get a LOT more context, though, especially with
The Joker
stuff that's littered through out the game, if you play the first 2 games.

If you just read up on the events of those games, though.....you'll know enough to "get it".

I would suggest playing them, if you have a chance, because they are REALLY good (ESPECIALLY Asylum).

Skip Origins, though, IMHO.

I'm kind of peeved that Selina is only a victim so far. After I do all of Riddler's key stuff is she finally free?

I very much doubt Ill be looking for all the trophys.

BTW. how funny is it that even that people are kidnapped, villains are everywhere, bombs in the streets, man bat, dead bodies, fires, etc etc etc not to mention Scarecrow, that Batman is all "Ill do it myself" despite his allies offering to come help.

I get its a game and that stuff is there to give the game some padding, just the city is literally coming down around him and he needs to be in 10 places at once, and Bat's won't accept any help.

At least with Nightwing had a valid response "Bludhaven needs you". With Robin, his partner and sidekick it's "Just stay out of it." Really?

If he won't call Robin in when he's dying of a fatal disease he pretty much never will.

Fliesen

The AR challenge "untouchable" (where you have to rake up kills, that give you 10 seconds each and survive for a total of "6 minutes" without being offered a particularly frustrating "close but no cigar" moment :(

... 3 tries later i got it done with ... 9 minutes or something. Still, annoying as hell.

i appreciate the fact, that Riddler trophies "unlock" (as in - are placed on the map) in phases and not just all from the get-go. The fact that the game kinda forces you to do at least some story progress is a good thing to keep you emotionally invested. Spending 3 evenings of playing on riddler challenges and trophies while you're supposed to be rushing to rescue someone is pretty out of character (for batman), but totally what i'd do.

See, I do not understand how people quantify "overused", "a lot" or "undermines". There's less of it than any other core element (ground combat, flight traversal, story) of the game. I do not, personally of course, believe one lesser element/mechanic undermines what the game does well (on a side note, some people here refuse to even state what the game does well and narrow their comments to that one element of a much bigger game so it is hard for me to grasp what is being said in these instances)

You can understand how strange the "undermine" argument is to a guy like me who thinks Witcher 3 is one of the best games to come out in a long time despite its core mechanic, namely combat, being some of the worst I've ever played. The sum of the parts do add up in the end or CAN I should say if people take a realistic perspective on it.

& there you go :) ...

because, for me, the witcher combat does indeed 'undermine' everything else that game does right. i, too, believe in 'sum of the parts'. where we differ, obviously, is in our mathematics. in the case of the witcher, something as prominent in a 10s of hours rpg as the combat system seems to carry a larger percentage of weight for me than you. likewise with the batmobile. the fact that it's required for multiple story missions / boss battles makes it carry that much additional weight for me. ymmv...

hbkdx12

i appreciate the fact, that Riddler trophies "unlock" (as in - are placed on the map) in phases and not just all from the get-go. The fact that the game kinda forces you to do at least some story progress is a good thing to keep you emotionally invested. Spending 3 evenings of playing on riddler challenges and trophies while you're supposed to be rushing to rescue someone is pretty out of character (for batman), but totally what i'd do.
This is the exact problem i have with the riddler sidequest where you need to save
catwoman
. I started that sidequest as soon as it was presented to me and i managed to do all the riddles and open two of the doors but i can't open the last one because it requires me to do the batmobile challenge on the third island which i don't have access to because i'm not far enough in the story where i can bring the batmobile over there. So now
catwoman
just has to sit there and suffer and wait for me to advance the story before i can go back to saving them. It's been bugging me and as you stated, feels out of character to essentially have someone's life waiting in the balance because of something stupid like a bridge

Alienous

This is the exact problem i have with the riddler sidequest where you need to save
catwoman
. I started that sidequest as soon as it was presented to me and i managed to do all the riddles and open two of the doors but i can't open the last one because it requires me to do the batmobile challenge on the third island which i don't have access to because i'm not far enough in the story where i can bring the batmobile over there. So now
catwoman
just has to sit there and suffer and wait for me to advance the story before i can go back to saving them. It's been bugging me and as you stated, feels out of character to essentially have someone's life waiting in the balance because of something stupid like a bridge

She's in no immediate peril.

In fact the Riddler calls you often, that gives you the idea that it can wait a little longer.
I like the approach of doing sidequest alongside the story and at some points you can't continue doing sidequest unless you progress in the main story. I also like how Batman cares about what happens while he is following the main plot, after some missions he ask about how everything is going and what should he take note on, it gives the sidequests much more meaning and doesn't feel disconnected.

hbkdx12

Granted but it's one of the moments where the "gameyness" of being a video game works against the batman experience.

A similiar thing happens with the (sidequest spoiler)
firefly
missions that i highlighted earlier. Batman repeatedly grabs him, beats him up only to allow him to get away so he can do it all over again. It's dumb and makes no sense.

SomTervo

Yeah, that's my biggest takeaway and people going off about how there's quite a bit of Tanking are neglecting all the highs in between. The tank complaints: i do not really understand. Maybe I missed the manifesto. They are spread apart enough to where they make up just a small % of the story and the player has full control over the pace in which they tackle sidequests. The good bits reach such high levels that they easily outweigh anything that can be complained about.

I am addicted to this game. The story has some unbelievable moments told with some amazing presentation. The sense of dread and all that is stake could not be more pronounced if they tried. The combat is as fun as ever, traversal is great, and I like the sidequests save for the road blocks and towers which are my only two complaints. It really feels like a more fleshed out playground to be Batman.

Can't wait to see if my thoughts on who the Arkham Knight is holds true.

Which is baffling considering all the noise we hear from gamers about how they're tired of the rehashing of old ideas. I do not agree that the issue is that people hate not playing batman or playing a different character (catwoman and sidekicks made an appearance last game for example), I think they just don't find it fun. With that said, RS took a risk, tried to spice it up. I would rather they do that and get by with a serviceable mechanic than just recreate Arkham City 2.0. Were I playing the same game spread out over the course of 3 games in 6 years, I would have been pissed.

I feel broadly the same as this - especially as your first couple of paragraphs.

Although I can't deny that they didn't do as well as they could have with the Tank battles. I enjoy them, but I think the core problem is that they're not Batman

I love the Batmobile, and I love this game on the whole.

But I think the crux of the issue for Batmobile-haters is that Batman is famed for being a hero who uses smarts to win his battles. He's The Great Detective after all. So if they had designed the Batmobile to thwart the drones, to trick them, to do something other than dodge firing lines and blow shit up, then I think these players would be far more happy. Which is fair enough.

I enjoy the Tank combat, but I can't deny it's rudimentary as fuck, which is at odds to the rest of the game and the ethos that Batman approaches things methodically and intelligently.

Come on, man. I appreciate you're trying to get to the bottom of what's arguably wrong with the Batmobile, but this post comes off as facetious. You could say the same about lots of level/challenge design in lots of games. Your post itself is a "chicken/egg thing".

All that matters is that the guy had lots of fun doing it this way. Your opinion doesn't invalidate how much fun other people are having with the Batmobile.

It's equally valid – and shows phenomenal game design – that you also had fun doing it your way (and that you even had the freedom to do so).

& there you go :) ...

because, for me, the witcher combat does indeed 'undermine' everything else that game does right. i, too, believe in 'sum of the parts'. where we differ, obviously, is in our mathematics. in the case of the witcher, something as prominent in a 10s of hours rpg as the combat system seems to carry a larger percentage of weight for me than you. likewise with the batmobile. the fact that it's required for multiple story missions / boss battles makes it carry that much additional weight for me. ymmv...

What games do you like, semiconscious?

SomTervo

recently (on ps4): bloodborne, mgs: ground zeros, last of us, flower...

&, less recently (on ps3): arkham asylum & arkham city :) ...

Fair play. Batman and The Witcher have beat out Bloodborne for me, but that game was still great, and The Last of Us is one of my top 5 all-time favourites. I recommend giving Dying Light a try. Such fun.

I'm definitely enjoying Arkham Knight more over Asylum and City - which were both phenomenal, too. Also Origins was great.

pilferk

Neo Member
Damn, dat jumpscare. Did not expect that to happen at all.
Fucking awesome that he's in the game.

My 3 kids were watching, and all three of them screeched when it happened. :)

I loved it! There's a similar (but less emotionally impactful) encounter with
Manbat
on a rooftop (random?) when you grapple up to it.

Zakalwe

Banned

Robin is working on something important and can't be distracted... the say what it is specifically in game.

I absolutely love the Batmobile too, both modes. I think they did a wonderful job of implementing it.

The entire city is a theme park built around the various gameplay mechanics, it's incredibly videogamey and purposely so, so the idea that the Batmobile sticks out or looks forced feel strange to me. The entire game is "forced" and built around setting up ways to make full use of the mechanics, I love that it does this overtly and doesn't feel ashamed that they're not hidden.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
"Sir, I'm detecting multiple militia tanks"

Sigh.

But, YESSSSSS

the batmobile is destroyed
~ late/end game spoiler

Thank you Arkham Knight

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My 3 kids were watching, and all three of them screeched when it happened. :)

I loved it! There's a similar (but less emotionally impactful) encounter with
Manbat
on a rooftop (random?) when you grapple up to it.
The the one he's on about

Fliesen

catwoman
catwoman

you're playing the same way as i am, which i think means you're postponing
saving an abducted Oracle, who is much more in need of your help
just to rescue Catwoman, who seems to be - while
impirsoned, with a bomb collar -
otherwise quite comfortable ;)

SomTervo

"Sir, I'm detecting multiple militia tanks"

Sigh.

But, YESSSSSS

the batmobile is destroyed
[- end/late game spoiler]

Thank you Arkham Knight

Oh, fuck.

I just read that spoiler, thinking it would be something minor. I'm just about on the last few story missions.

My bad, but could you hedge that with an 'end-game spoiler' warning?

Fletcher

How do I take out
drones flying around?
Will I need a new weapon/gadget I haven't picked up yet?

Are there many moments where you just
come across a villain with a detailed side plot like Hush, Mad Hatter, and Deadshot were in Arkham City?

SomTervo

How do I take out
drones flying around?

Are there many moments where you just come across a villain with a detailed side plot like Hush, Mad Hatter, and Deadshot were in Arkham City?

Your first point: try landing on them :) super-Batmobile eject and super grapnel boost helps

Your second point: there's at least two great missions like that in Arkham Knight, but I haven't seen any others I don't think. There may be more I just haven't seen. I think Arkham City just outdoes it in this specific regard.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How do I take out
drones flying around?

Are there many moments where you just come across a villain with a detailed side plot like Hush, Mad Hatter, and Deadshot were in Arkham City?
Just glide over them.

Top Bottom