• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

SomTervo

I never tire of wrecking a car and walking up to what's left the criminals crawl out.

This, and the APC car chases, and super-ejecting out of the batmobile, and occasionally using a Batmobile to emergently solve a puzzle, all make the car 100% worth it for me.

Also, I really recommend finding a huge crowd of enemies, eg a riot, landing in the middle of them, then calling the Batmobile remotely.

Hours of fun. Hundreds of KO'd goons flying like wild game. Once I got the car to hit literally like 30 guys down one street and the game's frame pacing took some serious hits, haha

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love love love Witcher 3, but oh my god, it's so nice to have a vehicle that arrives on command and seamlessly interacts with me. I feel like Roach was never where I wanted him, damn it.

After finally doing the Riddler stuff, I really wish they had developed the twin system more in the story, ie always have Batman team up with someone or the Batmobile. Combat and puzzles are way better with two characters.

Along the crazy f-zero races, this is one of the two unequivocally great touches added to gameplay.

I love love love Witcher 3, but oh my god, it's so nice to have a vehicle that arrives on command and seamlessly interacts with me. I feel like Roach was never where I wanted him, damn it.

Haha my main problem with Roach was that every time I whistle to call him he always stumbled in his way "Ugh... forget it Roach, I'll go to you".

What's the point of fighting random criminals while taking a walk? Does exp go up?

Their faces aint gonna punch themselves! Only the Batman can stop the crime of loitering!

....to answer your question though, I dont think you get any XP for beating people on the street.

SomTervo

What's the point of fighting random criminals while taking a walk? Does exp go up?

You only get XP from story or side-mission fights I'm afraid.

But hey. Take them down for the Bat-shits and Bat-giggles.

The ones highlighted in green are Riddler informants - so make sure to save them for last and they'll reveal Riddler secrets.

Dave_6

Really, really loving this game so far, despite that some of the tank battles can be frustrating. Only been playing an hour and half or so each night and taking it slow, so I'm only about 25% done with the game (story and side missions together).

Still in awe every time I start it up at how gorgeous this game is :O

I noticed Batman will sometimes vault off a wall or railing during a fight, sort of like this, but with a quicker zig-zag line of movement:

15dfi8w.gif

During a VR predator challenge, I decided to knockout a dude while doing silent takedown, and happened to spot another just before he started shooting. I just ran at him and attacked, then Batman did that zig-zag move, dodging the shotgun blast and kicking the dude down some stairs.

Neat

A lot of the riddler trophy puzzles are deeper than in Arkham City. More interesting.

So far, I haven't found any puzzles related to the trophies to be all that interesting. The puzzle "dungeons" have been, but all trophies I've found so far have been really straightforward. I haven't found many at all though, not have I actively looked for them.

Spreads justice.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I noticed Batman will sometimes vault off a wall or railing during a fight, sort of like this, but with a quicker zig-zag line of movement:

15dfi8w.gif

During a VR predator challenge, I decided to knockout a dude while doing silent takedown, and happened to spot another just before he started shooting. I just ran at him and attacked, then Batman did that zig-zag move, dodging the shotgun blast and kicking the dude down some stairs.

Neat
There seem to be a lot of contextual animations. The animation transitions are pretty next level. Pure insanity. Dodged a guy trying to tackle me and immediately ran and jumps off the wall to kick another guy in the face.

Vire

A lot of the riddler trophy puzzles are deeper than in Arkham City. More interesting.
Definitely! I had one Riddler puzzle stump me for at least 20 minutes and was relatively complex.

There was nothing like that in Arkham City.

I just got up to mid game spoilers
Joker serenading Batman
and wow that might be my favorite moment in all of the Arkham games. Loved it! :)

Raven77

Can someone answer a few questions for me regarding some concerns I have in picking this game up?

- I have never played the others. Will I be completely lost story wise?

- The game looks like it consists of mainly just fighting and driving. Is the open world big and is there anything to do besides beating bad guys and driving the batmobile?

- Is there a skill tree system or something like that for combat and do you find items / equipment as you play?

- How big are the indoor areas? Most the stuff I see is outdoors.

Thanks.

No.

I've been using them for training, and I'm glad they're there because you can try and get the trophy/achievements tied to combat, but if you screw up and start getting beat, you can always batclaw away from the fight, which you can't do in a lot of story missions.
Can someone answer a few questions for me regarding some concerns I have in picking this game up?

- The game looks like it consists of mainly just fighting and driving. Is the open world big and is there anything to do besides beating bad guys and driving the batmobile?

- Is there a skill tree system or something like that for combat and do you find items / equipment as you play?

Thanks.
- No

- The majority of it is driving and fighting (But it has great fighting), but there are also detective missions and predator missions, which consist of fighting, but the point of them is more to only take on one or two enemies at a time, and then get away undetected.

- Yes, and yes.

- There are some decently sized indoor areas. Most are about warehouse sized. A lot of the combat is outdoors though.

Is the Flashpoint skin available yet for season pass owners?

Nope, but you will be lost gameplay wise. There is a ton of story exposition. However, AK assumes you remember all the gameplay systems from the previous games and provides next to zero training.

I STRONGLY recommend starting with Asylum or at least City (Asylum is better though).

This game just blew my GODDAMN MIND just naturally moving through the environment doing sidequests. Minor post-ACE factory spoilers:

I was right outside one of an enemy encampment when I thought I saw something weird out of the corner of my eye. This is the poster:

http://i.imgur.com/weHA8WE.jpg

Only that isn't what I saw. This is:

http://i.imgur.com/cwaSZVh.jpg

If you pan the camera back and forth the poster keeps switching.

I've been talking up the presentation in this game and this is a perfect example why. It's such a clever visual trick that most people wouldn't even see, I only vaguely realized what I saw, went "huh?" and looked back and realized what happened. This type of thing being plopped in the middle of a big open world is what's so impressive to me, it's not something they can clearly frame and force you to experience.

I said goddamn

Need some help on the forensic mode riddler challenges. On several of them I will get to a point where it seems the trail is going up a wall or something similar. However there is no way that I can tell to make the batmobile follow. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

1- You can play wittout the others and understand it perfectly although there is a big continuity between City and this one... you should read what happened at least.

2- The world is not that big but its big, is more focused than a regular open world game, you have lots of fighting, chasing, and puzzle solving thanks to Riddler. You have to reconstruct or find data with detective tools althought is pretty straightforward. There are tons of secrets and easter eggs but are Batman mithology related.

3- Yes, theres is a skill tree, and several gadgets to use and improve.

4- Indoors so far aren't that big but most of the story happens indoors and there quite a lot of story.

I´ve completed 60% of the game and story, maybe you can gather better answers. ;)

Zakalwe

Banned

No. There are threads that continue from the first two games, and it references things that you won't understand fully without at least reading up, but none of it will detract from your understanding of this game's specific plot.

It's all fairly simple comic book stuff anyway.

The game is actually quite varied:

Fighting
Stealth
Traversal as batman via grapple and gliding
Batmobile with its dual mode
puzzle solving
Mild detective work

This is a very gamey game, the entire city is set up as a theme park for you to exploit the mechanics over and over, but the mechanics are a lot of fun. The story and character stuff are fun too, and they help propel you along.

The open world is nowhere near as large as something like TW3, and it's not as in depth (as in you can't enter many buildings nor talk to most people), but it's a completely different game. It's an action game, and for an action game the open world is very complex.

It contains a lot of sidequests that are mostly very good quality, with some excellent characters to discover.

Yes, there's an extensive upgrade system. You get to upgrade your suit, your gadgets, your combat skills, the Batmobile, your traversal skills. And there are quite a lot to choose from in each segment.

You pick up various new pieces of equipment as you progress, and there's an element of Metroid style design as you can backtrack and use the new equipment to access areas/solve puzzles you couldn't before.

There are some substantial indoor segments.

komplanen

The more time has passed since my 3/5 "review" after finishing the game, the more I've thought of the game as a 4/5 or higher. I think to truly understand the game I should have played the other games as well.

Might just have to fix that this summer.

Anyone else having problems unlocking the "Natural Selection" AR Challenge? It says it unlocks during Chapter 3 or after completing that chapter but it never did. I'm hoping something hasn't glitched.

Just beat the game and this is easily GOTY for me thus far. I understand the batmobile complaints but I personally liked the change of pace. I actually missed out on Origins because I was waiting for a GOTY edition that never came so I'm going to order it soon. For me so far I would rank the games ...

AK>AC>AA

Skilletor

The Arkham Knight is so badass. So obvious who he is after the first meeting.

Early story spoilers:

Why didn't anybody tell that MARK FUCKING HAMMILL WAS BACK? Joker as Batman's subconscious thoughts is so fucking awesome

Game is really good, but the batmobile sections are definitely bringing it down for me. I hate them.

Hagi

Spoiler for minor late game side quest

Huh that wasn't really what I was expecting from Hush, pretty shitty way to tie up the AC plot thread in like a 1 minute quest.

SomTervo

15dfi8w.gif

Neat

Re the wall-jump move, I had an absolutely unbelievable fight while taking care of one of the outposts on Migami Island. The outpost which is on a bridge, with a bunch of guys on said bridge, and two gun-turret cameras at either end pointing their red dead-zones at the very middle of the bridge.

I threw caution to the wind and Fear attacked the guys on the bridge, taking five down before the gun turrets could get a lock on me and start firing. They got a couple of shots off before I turned my attention fully on the remaining 3-4 goons on the bridge.

Queue an utterly mind-blowingly badass fight where I was literally dodging rapid gun-turret gunfire whilst Batman zig-zag bounced off the bridge's railings, whacking dudes in the head, punching them on the ground, grapnelling them to dodge more fire. I'd seen him do the zig-zag wall jump move before but he seriously did it like 5 times during this bridge fight and it was incredible. When the last guy was down the turrets didn't have a lock on me either, so I just immediately took out the explosive gel and busted the outpost computer, ruining the gun turrets while not giving a single fuck.

TheDanger

Banned
How do you access the ps exlusive scarecrow missions? The harley quinn dlc is listed in the episodes or what it's called, but scarecrow missions aren't. Dlc is installed,

Trying to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this has been asked before. Are the Riddler challenges on the same level as the first two games? I'm talking in terms of quantity and canon-references.

The best part of AA and AC for me was solving the challenges, something which was sorely lacking in AO.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Spoiler for minor late game side quest

Huh that wasn't really what I was expecting from Hush, pretty shitty way to tie up the AC plot thread in like a 1 minute quest.

The setup for that quest is amazing, though.

Trying to avoid spoilers, so apologies if this has been asked before. Are the Riddler challenges on the same level as the first two games? I'm talking in terms of quantity and canon-references.

The best part of AA and AC for me was solving the challenges, something which was sorely lacking in AO.

Eh, Ive done one that was kinda close to the old puzzles. You have to use the Batmobile to solve it but its very much a puzzle.

The other ones were more race tracks, but I havent completed all of it yet.

NeonBlack

Where the he'll does Arkham Knight get the money to make a army?
He's been thought dead for a while and I think Batman would recognized millions of dollars being taken out of Wayne industries for tanks, drones, and sentry bots.

Re the wall-jump move, I had an absolutely unbelievable fight while taking care of one of the outposts on Migami Island. The outpost which is on a bridge, with a bunch of guys on said bridge, and two gun-turret cameras at either end pointing their red dead-zones at the very middle of the bridge.

I threw caution to the wind and Fear attacked the guys on the bridge, taking five down before the gun turrets could get a lock on me and start firing. They got a couple of shots off before I turned my attention fully on the remaining 3-4 goons on the bridge.

Queue an utterly mind-blowingly badass fight where I was literally dodging rapid gun-turret gunfire whilst Batman zig-zag bounced off the bridge's railings, whacking dudes in the head, punching them on the ground, grapnelling them to dodge more fire. I'd seen him do the zig-zag wall jump move before but he seriously did it like 5 times during this bridge fight and it was incredible. When the last guy was down the turrets didn't have a lock on me either, so I just immediately took out the explosive gel and busted the outpost computer, ruining the gun turrets while not giving a single fuck.

Damn breh. This game (and series, but particularly this entry) finds a great balance between keeping the player in control, but still being visually entertaining, even surprising for the player.

In all the right ways, the player is sometimes merely steering and influencing Batman rather than having a 1:1 control ratio, and by bypassing some control minutiae (which is never inherently bad depending on what a game's going for), you can get moments like what you describe where the streamlined gameplay makes crazy moments equal parts manageable, challenging and fun.

IMO they are as good, or even better than ever, and a huge upgrade over Origins. Plus actual riddles are back as well.

The big caveat is that a lot of them involve the (creative) use of the Batmobile so if you don't like using it then that may bring down your opinion some.

Alienous

Where the he'll does Arkham Knight get the money to make a army?
He's been thought dead for a while and I think Batman would recognized millions of dollars being taken out of Wayne industries for tanks, drones, and sentry bots.

He was given the total acquired wealth of Scarecrow and all of the villains he enlisted to kill the Batman, which was 3 billion dollars. That's what the audio logs say, as hard as I find that to believe.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Someone made a mod for PC that lets you free roam as other characters.

I like how it took some random guy on the internet a few minutes to make this but Rocksteady couldn't be bothered to include the #1 requested feature since Arkham City

Top Bottom