• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The movie studios...

Loved everything about this section. The three mini-bosses, teaming up with Robin the entire time, it kinda made me wish there was a Batman and Robin game.

Someone made a mod for PC that lets you free roam as other characters.

I like how it took some random guy on the internet a few minutes to make this but Rocksteady couldn't be bothered to include the #1 requested feature since Arkham City

I had expected the other characters to not be available for free roam because other characters wouldn't have access to the Batmobile.

This is awesome though. In an ideal world, they would all have their own vehicles.

And there'd be multiplayer free-roam co-op

Neiteio

OK, really loving this game now. PS4 version here. My favorite aspect of the game is (major spoiler, starting at end of ACE Chemicals)
how the hallucination of Joker appears anywhere and everywhere, seamlessly, like Silent Hill or something
. It's amazing, and elevates this game from something good to something GREAT. I already want to replay everything up to this point (just met up with Robin) so I can record every moment with
_________Joker_________

Speaking of mods, here's hoping someone gets the Flashpoint Batman skin to work with Red Hood. It would fit pretty well.

Speaking of, is Red Hood available? I thought Harley Quinn and Red Hood were going to be available to people with the pass. I managed to get the season pass for cheap and it says it's downloaded. When I go to downloadable content, it says I've purchased it, but I don't see anything for HQ or RH.

Speaking of mods, here's hoping someone gets the Flashpoint Batman skin to work with Red Hood. It would fit pretty well.

Speaking of, is Red Hood available? I thought Harley Quinn and Red Hood were going to be available to people with the pass. I managed to get the season pass for cheap and it says it's downloaded. When I go to downloadable content, it says I've purchased it, but I don't see anything for HQ or RH.

They'll be available in September when the exclusivity period ends.

Neiteio

I'm blown away by the number of unique assets, character lines, incidental animations, etc. It doesn't feel like the game is "repeating itself," something that usually occurs in open-world games. It's hard to fathom how much work went into this game.

Gleethor

I'm blown away by the number of unique assets, character lines, incidental animations, etc. It doesn't feel like the game is "repeating itself," something that usually occurs in open-world games. It's hard to fathom how much work went into this game.
I'm constantly surprised by the sheer volume of unique, context sensitive dialogue in this game. It almost makes me angry that other games don't have that attention to detail

They'll be available in September when the exclusivity period ends.

Okay, thanks. Here's hoping they become available for AR challenges down the line.

There's definitely an abundance of amazing content like that, yes. However, there's a few most wanted sidequests that feel strangely repetitive though when compared to the stuff you mention. I enjoyed what I've played, but even still.

Lakitu

st5fu
How far am I into the story?

About to
analyse the Arkham Knight's forces on Founders Island

Game is very enjoyable so far. It's just a shame that the side-quests are so repetitive so far.

I'm around 60% of the story and game in general, I've only two empty spots for sidequest what I want to know is:
Does Hush appears in this game? He left Arkham City to make chaos in Gotham so I expected him to be in this game but none mention him in comments so far... I think. :(

Drayco21

I'm around 60% of the story and game in general, I've only two empty spots for sidequest what I want to know is:
Does Hush appears in this game? He left Arkham City to make chaos in Gotham so I expected him to be in this game but none mention him in comments so far... I think. :(

Yes. He's the shortest sidequest in the game, but it unlocks not too much longer than where you're at.

FStop7

Banned
Either Rocksteady greatly loosened up the combat system this time around or somehow I have become super pro at it without trying. I'm sure it's the former.

I played AA and AC on Hard and I struggled badly with some of the big fights. The (optional) party in AA and Catwoman vs. Poison Ivy's thugs in AC, for example.

In AK I tore through one of the big crowd fights in Ace Chemicals and only got punched once. Combo'd half the fight. There's no way I'm that good, so I can only assume the combat difficulty's been lowered.

Oh - and the Fear Takedowns are INSANE. The first time I saw one I thought it was pre-rendered and scripted. Then I realized they're real time and dynamic... wow. This might be the best looking game I've ever played.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The final mission 0_0

Now to go for 100%
Almost done with most of the quests. Need to get about 220 Riddler trophies though :sigh

Anung

Un Rama
The final mission 0_0

Now to go for 100%
Almost done with most of the quests. Need to get about 220 Riddler trophies though :sigh

I'm leaving the Riddler stuff till last. Not picked up anything so I can just unlock all the locations without losing track of it.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm loving the game. This is exactly what I wanted in a Batman game.

One question, though. Did they remove the challenge maps? It seems like they went all in with the AR challenges.

VanWinkle

Do sidequests open up as you're playing through the story, or do you have to initiate side missions somehow? I'm twenty percent into the story, but there's still the same three or so side missions in the list.

Enjoying the game so far despite it running like garbage on my computer. Really enjoying all the villains. Arkham Knight is pretty freaking annoying so far. He's like like the comic book guy in video game form.

Do sidequests open up as you're playing through the story, or do you have to initiate side missions somehow? I'm twenty percent into the story, but there's still the same three or so side missions in the list.

They'll tell you, don't worry, you're still in the first act. ;)

I agree, except for one character: Batman himself. A lot of responses to the unique dialog seem to be tangential, at best. If you get one at all. I can understand that Conroy can't do all of it (the Batman voice is hard), but I just wanted more verbal interplay and empathy from Bats when appropriate.

You know, empathy is the wrong word. His responses just seem, canned a lot of the time, more so than in the first few games.

FStop7

Banned
Enjoying the game so far despite it running like garbage on my computer. Really enjoying all the villains. Arkham Knight is pretty freaking annoying so far. He's like like the comic book guy in video game form.

The angsty, whiney dialogue and voice acting doesn't fit the way the character looks, at all. It takes me out of the game every time he speaks.

I got to the parts of the game that we saw at the Sony e3 2014 press conference, can't control the excitement for this game. It felt so good to see those areas in the final game that we saw at the demo gameplay at Sony e3 2014

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Jesus, this game is DARK. Without spoiling anything for anyone (I'm only %15 through the main story anyway) So much darker than the other two Batman games, it's almost oppressive at times. Psychological assaults coming from every angle.

Jesus, this game is DARK. Without spoiling anything for anyone (I'm only %15 through the main story anyway) So much darker than the other two Batman games, it's almost oppressive at times. Psychological assaults coming from every angle.

Man!! 15% and you already say this?? Hold on your pants.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Either Rocksteady greatly loosened up the combat system this time around or somehow I have become super pro at it without trying. I'm sure it's the former.

I played AA and AC on Hard and I struggled badly with some of the big fights. The (optional) party in AA and Catwoman vs. Poison Ivy's thugs in AC, for example.

In AK I tore through one of the big crowd fights in Ace Chemicals and only got punched once. Combo'd half the fight. There's no way I'm that good, so I can only assume the combat difficulty's been lowered.

Oh - and the Fear Takedowns are INSANE. The first time I saw one I thought it was pre-rendered and scripted. Then I realized they're real time and dynamic... wow. This might be the best looking game I've ever played.

It does seem relatively easy on Hard, though I am still early in but not a single encounter has been remotely challenging for me either.

Arkham Origins on the flipside was the opposite. Though I think they did reduce the timing windows in that game, but I recall the early encounter with a dozen of Penguins goons super early on, being just brutal on Hard difficulty in that game.

I have been revisiting Arkham Asylum again lately(Hard mode) and it wasn't until the Bane fight(25% or so in) that I felt that game started to get challenging, and only because its tricky to deal with half a dozen thugs while ever-watching for Bane's charges and rock throws in the periphery. The thug variants can get a bit rough too, such as the knife enemies that require a cape stun(can't be punched or countered), Asylum so far feels VERY limited in combat options compared to the upgrades made in the 3 sequels.

Asylum still holds up tremendously well though, just phenomenal pacing and location design.

Yea... it's pretty dark and I'm about 70% done and it hasn't really let up.

Post-Ace Spoilers:
Joker in Batman's mind
was a brilliant addition.

abundant

People weren't lying when they said that the Arkham Knight's identity was extremely obvious if you were even remotely familiar with Batman.

If you get the second ending can you go and get all of the stupid Riddler trophies and replay the final mission to get the super ultimate ending?

Caode

Cleaning everything up after the main story, just fought the boss after the towers, mines and checkpoints are all cleared, spoiler tags in case no one know's who it is since I didn't even know this character was going to be in the game but.. Rocksteady, as good as this game as, why the fuck did you see it fit to have
Deathstroke roaming around in a fucking tank

Holy crap. I am absolutely falling in love with this game. Was dissapointed for first few hours but now everything is coming together.
i just entered the Zeppelin and I'm getting that Rocksteady magic feeling. I'm 40 % and can't wait to go on.
. The open world here is truly breathtaking. Not sick of batmobile and if quality keeps up this May top two of my favorite games of all time (origins isn't one of em...)

Tansut

Man, I am so irate right now. I pre-ordered this game with a site-to-store delivery date of release day, and it's STILL not ready for pickup at Wal-Mart yet. It's the Limited Edition, so that's why I didn't cancel already.

On top of that, some idiot FB friend of mine posted how amazing Arkham Knight was by basically revealing who Arkham Knight is. He was immediately deleted from my friends list, but not before the damage is done, obviously.

I know it's not like the entire game is ruined for me, but goddamnit I kept myself in the dark because I wanted to experience all of it fresh. How can people be so stupid?? And how can Wal-Mart suck so bad??

HardRojo

Yea... it's pretty dark and I'm about 70% done and it hasn't really let up.

Post-Ace Spoilers:
Joker in Batman's mind
was a brilliant addition.

Yeah, I'm loving those moments. Will try to finish it and 100% the game over the weekend. Great game so far but I need to take a rest after playing for like 3 and a half hours straight.

Neiteio

There's definitely a lack of amazing content like that, yes. There's a few most wanted sidequests that feel strangely repetitive though when compared to the stuff you mention. I enjoyed what I've played, but even still.
I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying. I said there's a lot of unique content, not a lack of it. The sheer number of transitional moments, surprise occurrences, incidental character moments, character animations (i.e. the hundred different ways Batman scrambles up into the Batmobile), is just astounding. They clearly put in work with this game, and what's more, it feels like they put in a lot of love, as well. :)

HardRojo

Man, I am so irate right now. I pre-ordered this game with a site-to-store delivery date of release day, and it's STILL not ready for pickup at Wal-Mart yet. It's the Limited Edition, so that's why I didn't cancel already.

On top of that, some idiot FB friend of mine posted how amazing Arkham Knight was by basically revealing who Arkham Knight is. He was immediately deleted from my friends list, but not before the damage is done, obviously.

I know it's not like the entire game is ruined for me, but goddamnit I kept myself in the dark because I wanted to experience all of it fresh. How can people be so stupid?? And how can Wal-Mart suck so bad??

Human stupidity knows no limits and some people actually enjoy being selfish assholes. A shame that it was spoiled for you. I have yet to figure out who he is but I've got an idea.

Just completed the story. I really liked how they handled
The Joker being in this game. At first I was like "Really? They couldn't just leave him out for once?", but having him reside in Batman's mind, making his trademark dark, witty comments on everything you do was fantastic, and the section at the end where you lock him deep in the recesses of your mind was one of the highlights of the game for me.
All in all, I loved it. Definitely the best game in the series for me. Now to do the rest of the side missions and just glide around some more...

Which reminds me - what is your favourite part of the map? For me it's gotta be Grand Avenue on Miagani Island. The neon sings, the old Gotham-style architecture, the mass of thugs. I always glide through that area when I get the chance. Mind you, the whole of Miagani Island is incredibly designed. For me it's the best rendition of Gotham, even ranking above Burton's Gotham, and is the version I will compare all future versions against.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really loved the overall story but
I just wish they hadn't built up AK's identity to be such a big deal. It's really obvious. They could have just pit it out there earlier in the story instead of being a major reveal. It makes complete sense and is well justified, I just didn't want it to seem like a huge mystery when it was who everyone guessed it would be. It's also basically spoiled by the existence of the Red Hood DLC.

Top Bottom