• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

bobawesome

I really loved the overall story but
I just wish they hadn't built up AK's identity to be such a big deal. It's really obvious. They could have just pit it out there earlier in the story instead of being a major reveal. It makes complete sense and is well justified, I just didn't want it to seem like a huge mystery when it was who everyone guessed it would be. It's also basically spoiled by the existence of the Red Hood DLC.

I was actually genuinely surprised because some turd in the Batman subreddit went around posting threads about how the Arkham Knight was actually Joker revived by the Lazarus Pit. That, and knowing the existence and identity of the Red Hood, I didn't think Rocksteady would repurpose the character.

Verger

Banned
So I loved Arkham Asylum, but really hated Arkham City. I disliked the change to "open-world" and the focus of the game just became too muddled with so many things without little substance. It clearly became a game where the only joy was just flying around and beating up random mobs, which grew tiring after the first hour. Also the story was a complete mess and had no cohesion whatsoever. And it became one of those "checklist the game" type open-world games too, which I've grown tired of.

Is this game more like City than Asylum?

Can you change the control options for the Bat mobile? I looked around in the control menu but I see no way to change it. I don't like Square being brake/reverse...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Question:

I just finished the section involving the
two blimps and Barbara is "dead." I dont believe for one second that is what happened.

How close am I to the end of the game? I want to take a bit of a break and do some of the sidequests, but I want to
rescue barbara soon.

idonteven

So I loved Arkham Asylum, but really hated Arkham City. I disliked the change to "open-world" and the focus of the game just became too muddled with so many things without little substance. It clearly became a game where the only joy was just flying around and beating up random mobs, which grew tiring after the first hour. Also the story was a complete mess and had no cohesion whatsoever. And it became one of those "checklist the game" type open-world games too, which I've grown tired of.

more city yes

Staf

Man, this game is great. Story is awesome (so far). But given the amount of fun i'm having at the moment i'm guessing a boring Batmobile segment is around the corner.

robotrock

Banned

Yes
Question:

two blimps and Barbara is "dead." I dont believe for one second that is what happened.

How close am I to the end of the game? I want to take a bit of a break and do some of the sidequests, but I want to
rescue barbara soon.
Press right on the dpad, and look at the main quest mission progress.

0racle

Alright I went from loving every minute up untill around the 65-70% story completion mark. Now sitting at 85% and it was nothing but frustration. Man what a buzz kill. Hopefully the last bit redeems itself

Is there a way to find the actual start point of the Riddler race against time missions? Near as I can tell interrogating informants will just give you the end point. Just have one trophy left on Bleake Island and it seems to be the end point of one of the missions but I have no idea where to start it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Way more like City, but IMO less good. They took away one of my favorite tools from Origins and City, which was the batswarm and that has a negative affect on the combat IMO.

0racle

Question:

rescue barbara soon.

look at your story completion % in the mission selection rotary screen

Verger

Banned
more city yes
Aw shucks. That's too bad. I really loved the tight narrative of Asylum and how it resembled more of a metroidvania than a Ubisoft game. :(
Way more like City, but IMO less good. They took away one of my favorite tools from Origins and City, which was the batswarm and that has a negative affect on the combat IMO.
Interesting. I wish they would go back to the Asylum design. I want to play a tight narrative of Batman as opposed to a game where they try and shoehorn in any idea and villain they want so haphazardly, which is how City turned out so bad

Can you change the control options for the Bat mobile? I looked around in the control menu but I see no way to change it. I don't like Square being brake/reverse...

Yup. There's an option in the pause menu that lets you toggle battle mode. It's pretty good for a lot of people. Personally, I feel like it's snappier to use the default for switching back and forth between battle and pursuit modes quickly. Sometimes I like to go into pursuit modes and just ram the shit out of drone tanks, then quickly switch back to tank mode.

No, it is its own beast. I said it before but I'll repeat (sorry to those who think I sound like a broken record): had this game been more of the same, I would have never touched it. I would not categorize this as City 2.0 whatsoever. It feels like its own game.

0racle

Anyone defending the bat mobile definitely needs to see the later game content. If I were to review this game immediately after playing some of this I may have forgotten some of the good and be overly harsh

I think I just got past that part. I mean the HELL?! why not stick to how it was utilized during the entire game thus far? I had zero complaints. Its still not that bad but I now see what everyone was talking about.

Neiteio

There are so many nice locations in the city, but I can never remember where they're located. Like there was a Chinese-themed open-air bar/restaurant on the roof of one building. It had lights on the floor that pulsated, and artwork of geishas on the tables.

Darak

Is there a way to find the actual start point of the Riddler race against time missions? Near as I can tell interrogating informants will just give you the end point. Just have one trophy left on Bleake Island and it seems to be the end point of one of the missions but I have no idea where to start it.

There is usually a graffiti in the floor nearby with two numbers. Those are coordinates, visible as you browse the game map.

Verger

Banned
No, it is its own beast. I said it before but I'll repeat (sorry to those who think I sound like a broken record): had this game been more of the same, I would have never touched it. I would not categorize this as City 2.0 whatsoever. It feels like its own game.
If it is the same open-world type game design as City, with the lack of cohesion. How is it different?

0racle

Or you could just tell me. Numbers in the batman games tell you next to nothing.

dude, we are trying to help. if you listen you would have your answere down to the exact number. Stop being ignorant and try. Each seciton of that mission select screen is broken down. You can be 100% complete the main story but still only see 20% actual game completion.

I think I just got past that part. I mean the HELL?! why not stick to how it was utilized during the entire game thus far? I had zero complaints. Its still not that bad but I now see what everyone was talking about.

Gosh im dreading that part everyone is talking about. Please don't ruin this game for me. It's like the Murphy missions in rayman legends (but hopefully like that game, it won't deter the overall experience...)

Neiteio

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that I don't see Riddler trophies everywhere. I've mainly seen them in "dungeons" so far. But unlike City, where I was constantly distracted (to a frustrating degree) by all of the trophies littered everywhere, here they're spread out so much (or perhaps the city is just that much larger) that I hardly see them when driving/flying around. It allows me to better immerse myself in the world.

Staf

Oh, god. There are horde-modes missions with the Batmobile? Blah, hopefully there isn't more of it in the main story that this one.

Alienous

Oh, god. There are horde-modes missions with the Batmobile? Blah, hopefully there isn't more of it in the main story that this one.

herman-cain-smile.gif

Cindro

I am really, really loving this game.

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games ever (and I loved Origins as well) - Knight seems to be a worthy culmination of the house that Rocksteady built, despite it's minor flaws.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of Batmobile backlash. If AK did not include the type of drastic gameplay shakeup that the Batmobile offers, the game would be slammed across the board for relying too heavily on the structure and format of the previous three games. The predator and combat sections were excellent from the outset of the series - there's only so much more refinement you can add to those systems before they reach a plateau and don't offer enough in terms of novelty and freshness to build an entirely new game around. I can't fathom how much more disappointed people would be if the Batmobile was eliminated entirely, and AK felt like nothing more than Arkham City 2.0 (or Arkham City 3.0, for those of us who have played Origins).

The Batmobile was in the VERY FIRST BATMAN STORY EVERY, all the way back in 1939. It's an even more storied part of the Batman arsenal and mythos than most of his gadgets or combat moves, and it would have been a crying shame had Rocksteady never attempted to integrate it into their series.

Sure, the ratio of combat/predator/Batmobile sections may not be aligned with what everyone wants, but we've played the combat and predator sections in Arkham games before. To death. For the past six years. The Batmobile segments drastically shake up the gameplay flow that we're all so accustomed to and gives a wider variety of Batmanning than players have had before.

The upgrade tree for the Batmobile has been plenty enough to keep me engaged, too (about 50% through the main story, for reference). Upgrade the cooldown time on your missiles to speed up battles. Acquire the upgrade
from Lucius to hack drones and turn them on their allies
. Install the
EMP blast for the ability to short out enemy machines
and make them sitting ducks. There's more than enough variety here to keep me interested in the Batmobile battle sections. The only encounter I haven't liked so far was going up against three Cobra tanks, where you have to sneak around behind them without their laser sights seeing you. I'm sure there will be at least two more of those portions, if I had to guess, but that's relatively minor when compared to the absurd amount of content I still have left with this game.

The pursuit mode is fast and satisfying - my main complaint there is that there's no sense of visceral force when crashing through obstacles. You can run through street lamps and signs and other cars like they're pieces of wet cardboard, as opposed to it feeling like you're uprooting hundreds of pounds of steel. I suppose that's a gameplay tradeoff, though - if slamming into objects realistically affected your speed and momentum, it would break the tension of fast-paced rides and diminish the desired effect they were going for with the Batmobile in the first place.

I could go on about so many different topics, too - the beautiful neon-grime of the city, the insane attention to detail, the fact that I've not heard an NPC line repeated yet, the refinements to the combat system, the brutally dark and badass story, the sense of escalation in stakes compared to the previous games... but for now, I'll just say:

This bad boy is a beautiful beast of the highest degree

Is there any reason not to
activate knight fall before I have 100%?

There's no way to tell what might be behind this spoiler tag

Man, the combat AR Challenges are ridiculously easy compared to the others.

The predator one where you have to get two fear takedown strings, take no damage and leave the medic for last was harder than most challenges from City though.

Edit: And the friggin' "blow up 10 APCs" mission. That was hard, though fun.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that I don't see Riddler trophies everywhere. I've mainly seen them in "dungeons" so far. But unlike City, where I was constantly distracted (to a frustrating degree) by all of the trophies littered everywhere, here they're spread out so much (or perhaps the city is just that much larger) that I hardly see them when driving/flying around. It allows me to better immerse myself in the world.

It's really two things:

1. Less trophies spread over a larger area- just north of 200 trophies over an area 5x that of AC.

2. Minor spoiler
More get added to the city as you progress the game. So they aren't all there in the early stages

Alienous

Is there any reason not to
activate knight fall before I have 100%?

You'll only get to see a segment of it. So if you want to see the full thing get 100% first. You can activate Knightfall at some point before 100%, but it'll return you to the open world after showing you about half of the Knightfall ending and tell you to complete everything else to see it all.

Neiteio

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games ever (and I loved Origins as well) - Knight seems to be a worthy culmination of the house that Rocksteady built, despite it's minor flaws.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of Batmobile backlash. If AK did not include the type of drastic gameplay shakeup that the Batmobile offers, the game would be slammed across the board for relying too heavily on the structure and format of the previous three games. The predator and combat sections were excellent from the outset of the series - there's only so much more refinement you can add to those systems before they reach a plateau and don't offer enough in terms of novelty and freshness to build an entirely new game around. I can't fathom how much more disappointed people would be if the Batmobile was eliminated entirely, and AK felt like nothing more than Arkham City 2.0 (or Arkham City 3.0, for those of us who have played Origins).

The Batmobile was in the VERY FIRST BATMAN STORY EVERY, all the way back in 1939. It's an even more storied part of the Batman arsenal and mythos than most of his gadgets or combat moves, and it would have been a crying shame had Rocksteady never attempted to integrate it into their series.

Sure, the ratio of combat/predator/Batmobile sections may not be aligned with what everyone wants, but we've played the combat and predator sections in Arkham games before. To death. For the past six years. The Batmobile segments drastically shake up the gameplay flow that we're all so accustomed to and gives a wider variety of Batmanning than players have had before.

The upgrade tree for the Batmobile has been plenty enough to keep me engaged, too (about 50% through the main story, for reference). Upgrade the cooldown time on your missiles to speed up battles. Acquire the upgrade
. Install the
and make them sitting ducks. There's more than enough variety here to keep me interested in the Batmobile battle sections. The only encounter I haven't liked so far was going up against three Cobra tanks, where you have to sneak around behind them without their laser sights seeing you. I'm sure there will be at least two more of those portions, if I had to guess, but that's relatively minor when compared to the absurd amount of content I still have left with this game.

The pursuit mode is fast and satisfying - my main complaint there is that there's no sense of visceral force when crashing through obstacles. You can run through street lamps and signs and other cars like they're pieces of wet cardboard, as opposed to it feeling like you're uprooting hundreds of pounds of steel. I suppose that's a gameplay tradeoff, though - if slamming into objects realistically affected your speed and momentum, it would break the tension of fast-paced rides and diminish the desired effect they were going for with the Batmobile in the first place.

I could go on about so many different topics, too - the beautiful neon-grime of the city, the insane attention to detail, the fact that I've not heard an NPC line repeated yet, the refinements to the combat system, the brutally dark and badass story, the sense of escalation in stakes compared to the previous games... but for now, I'll just say:

Co-signed. I struggled with the Batmobile at first, but now it's incredible. I find myself driving around more and more, and actually picking fights with the drones. And few things are as satisfying in videogames as when you infiltrate a place as Batman, find yourself outnumbered, but then let the Batmobile in to wreck shit. So good!

Alienous

Some people come around before they get to the end of the main story of the game. I liked it at first, and over time I started to dislike the Battle mode part of the Batmobile, and it became the element I least liked about Arkham Knight. I'm sure it would have been a better game without it. Maybe you'll see why when you play through the game.

Keep playing and tell us what you think when you're almost done.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone know what's up with Officer Denheen in the GCPD office? He glows green without detective mode and I can't figure out how to trigger him for info.

If it is the same open-world type game design as City, with the lack of cohesion. How is it different?

I think AK is far more cohesive than either of the previous two games. There are no loading screens and there are many more predator style stuff out in the open world than compared to AC. I'm amazed how seamless I can fight some thugs, call the batmobile, launch into the area, drop into a Predator style area, jump out, etc.

It gives a great deal of breathing room to set up other attacks and it is an absolute lifesaver when dealing with brutes.

Eh, I always just jumped away if surrounded instead. It was, by far, my least used move in the previous games. Honestly I didn't even notice it's absence until you mentioned it.

Anyone know what's up with Officer Denheen in the GCPD office? He glows green without detective mode and I can't figure out how to trigger him for info.

How would you normally deal with people who glow greeen? Hit the interrogate button

bobawesome

He looks the same for me and I meant to ask about that. It's...strange and it bothers me.

Caode

Just press triangle. (or Y if you're on Xbox I assume). Although maybe you have to have done a certain amount of Riddler missions, I never paid too much attention to it.. just noticed him glowing green and hit triangle.

MDSLKTR

. Install the

I like this post, the batmobile absolutely makes the game for me. If you don't like it, might as well give up altogether just but don't dismiss the amount of work and love that Rocksteady put into it.

Chiming in with more love for the Batmobile. The only things I don't like (not actively dislike) is when you're forced to stay in tank mode during the combat (like with the bomb diffusing challenges, since you have to stay close) — if you could always zip around a building in pursuit mode, get some distance, slam into the tanks and then go into tank mode, it would mix things up better. You can do that, but not in every battle.

He looks the same for me and I meant to ask about that. It's...strange and it bothers me.

Hmmm ... curious. Glitch maybe?

Or something more, perhaps ...

Alienous

I really wish they kept (End of game spoilers)
Barbra dead

You need to be clear about when you are talking about end game spoilers.

I like this post, the batmobile absolutely makes the game for me. If you don't like it, might as well give up altogether just but don't dismiss the amount of work and love that Rocksteady put into it.

To understand the complaints regarding the Batmobile you really have to complete the game.

Neiteio

Just press triangle. (or Y if you're on Xbox I assume). Although maybe you have to have done a certain amount of Riddler missions, I never paid too much attention to it.. just noticed him glowing green and hit triangle.
Oh wow, I just saw this guy in the GCPD the other day and didn't think to interrogate him. I thought it was a glitch.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hah, I was similarly perplexed by Officer Denheen. It didn't even dawn on me to correlate that with the situation with random thugs outside until after several visits to the GCPD.

Top Bottom