• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Prototype

The batmobile just has presence. You stop and go tank mode and it means business, the lights turn red, the way it moves, all excellent. I love it.

It's like the mount I wish I always had. Way better than a horse!

Edit. At work now, but I'm finished with the main story, I will be back to post a more detailed message later. Long story short, this game is great and everything a sequel to City should be, just as City was the perfect sequel to Asylum.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
?

game installed in like 2 minutes for me. Are you installing off the disc?

I had to restart the PS4 a couple times to get it actually installing properly. If the numbers don't move at all, try restarting.
Yeah I had to restart twice now to get it to install, NOW it took two minutes as well.
I actually put the disc in in the morning to download everything and let it install, and since the total size said 55GB or something I assumed it was done. But that in-game install bar sat there for an hour now and moved like 2%. Nice first impression lol.

Hagi

Either I didn't watch enough trailers or the Arkham Knight is a petulant little child. Didn't expect him to behave the way he does. Whine whine whine whine whine.

This is funny for a number of reasons that will become clearer when you finish the game.

Setsuna

Speaking about the batmobile why does the batmobile never want to head in the direction you are heading when you call it in

It's not really an out there thing to have multiple endings that each have certain requirements. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Sure, I get that. But you're left with a non ending unless you do a lot of work for the actual ending.
In Kingdom Hearts 2, there's a lot of stuff you need to do to get the secret ending, but the normal games has an actual ending.

Hagi

Sure, I get that. But you're left with a non ending unless you do a lot of work for the actual ending.
In Kingdom Hearts 2, there's a lot of stuff you need to do to get the secret ending, but the normal games has an actual ending.

The normal ending is that bad? hmm that's a bummer

Cindro

The normal ending is that bad? hmm that's a bummer
How exactly does this work? Do the three endings "stack", or do I need to beat the final boss three separate times (once normally, once with 7 most wanted missions completed, and once with 100%) to see all three?

void666

Banned
Am I the only one not having problems playing the PC version of this game? I'm seeing so much anger and hatred for it but I've yet to have a single crash or hiccup whilst playing. According to the profile screen I'm 20% into it.

You're not alone. I have 59% iirc, around 13 hours. No stuttering (with smoke effects off) and not a single crash.

Alienous

How exactly does this work? Do the three endings "stack", or do I need to beat the final boss three separate times (once normally, once with 7 most wanted missions completed, and once with 100%) to see all three?

Details in spoilers so those who don't want to know don't have to.

Two endings which stack. The actual game ending, then a second ending, which has two halves to it, one half of which you get to see if you've completed that vast majority of side missions, and then both halves if you 100% the game.

You only need to get the actual game ending once.

Cade

Oh, weirdly, it did finish. It did skip over one of the chunks on the bar so I might be missing one waynetech point, but meh. Good news.

Dave_6

You're not alone. I have 59% iirc, around 13 hours. No stuttering (with smoke effects off) and not a single crash.

I put about 3 hours into mine (leaving the 30 fps lock in place) and I never had any problems, other than the stuttering and missing effects. All Gameworks features on except smoke.

Grisby

This is what I'm wondering and I don't really want to read spoilers. Whats the deal with the ending?

Does the game tell you when your about to go into a final mission so I can't got back and complete those side quests?

Cindro

Details in spoilers so those who don't want to know don't have to.

Two endings which stack. The actual game ending, then a second ending, which has two halves to it, one half of which you get to see if you've completed that vast majority of side missions, and then both halves if you 100% the game.

You only need to get the actual game ending once.
Excellent - so just to be sure,
if I beat the game the first time with all most wanted missions cleared, and then a second time with 100% completion
, I'll see everything?

This is what I'm wondering and I don't really want to read spoilers. Whats the deal with the ending?

Does the game tell you when your about to go into a final mission so I can't got back and complete those side quests?

I wondered that myself. Can I just complete the main story and then do the side missions or should I finish the side missions before that?

Edit: Ok that spoiler tagged text from Alienous explains this a bit. But is there a possibility to miss a "better" ending?

Alienous

Excellent - so just to be sure,
if I beat the game the first time with all most wanted missions cleared, and then a second time with 100% completion
, I'll see everything?

All most wanted missions cleared is 100%. If you beat the game (complete the main story) you'll see the actual ending. If you then achieve around 90% completion you will be prompted to see the half of the epilogue (the second ending). At 100% you wlll be prompted to see it all.

Gemüsepizza;169967525 said:
I wondered that myself. Can I just complete the main story and then do the side missions or should I finish the side missions before that?

Edit: Ok that spoiler tagged text from Alienous explains this a bit. But is there a possibility to miss a "better" ending?

Don't worry about it. It's a shame anyone brought it up. Just play through the game normally and it will all make sense.

Majanew

Banned
So I'm playing (PS4 version) and I died, and every time the game reloaded I was falling through the ground, lol. Couldn't make it stop until I exited the game and reloaded.

batmanakglitch4csz2.jpg

So I'm playing (PS4 version) and I died, and every time the game reloaded I was falling through the ground, lol. Couldn't make it stop until I exited the game and reloaded.

Happened the same to me, have it recorded. Luckily everything worked fine after I restarted the game.

If I beat the main quest first then go and do all the side stuff, will it let me do the last mission again so I can see the secret ending? Or would I have to restart the game and do all the side stuff first?

witness

I am really, really loving this game.

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games ever (and I loved Origins as well) - Knight seems to be a worthy culmination of the house that Rocksteady built, despite it's minor flaws.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of Batmobile backlash. If AK did not include the type of drastic gameplay shakeup that the Batmobile offers, the game would be slammed across the board for relying too heavily on the structure and format of the previous three games. The predator and combat sections were excellent from the outset of the series - there's only so much more refinement you can add to those systems before they reach a plateau and don't offer enough in terms of novelty and freshness to build an entirely new game around. I can't fathom how much more disappointed people would be if the Batmobile was eliminated entirely, and AK felt like nothing more than Arkham City 2.0 (or Arkham City 3.0, for those of us who have played Origins).

The Batmobile was in the VERY FIRST BATMAN STORY EVERY, all the way back in 1939. It's an even more storied part of the Batman arsenal and mythos than most of his gadgets or combat moves, and it would have been a crying shame had Rocksteady never attempted to integrate it into their series.

Sure, the ratio of combat/predator/Batmobile sections may not be aligned with what everyone wants, but we've played the combat and predator sections in Arkham games before. To death. For the past six years. The Batmobile segments drastically shake up the gameplay flow that we're all so accustomed to and gives a wider variety of Batmanning than players have had before.

The upgrade tree for the Batmobile has been plenty enough to keep me engaged, too (about 50% through the main story, for reference). Upgrade the cooldown time on your missiles to speed up battles. Acquire the upgrade
from Lucius to hack drones and turn them on their allies
. Install the
EMP blast for the ability to short out enemy machines
and make them sitting ducks. There's more than enough variety here to keep me interested in the Batmobile battle sections. The only encounter I haven't liked so far was going up against three Cobra tanks, where you have to sneak around behind them without their laser sights seeing you. I'm sure there will be at least two more of those portions, if I had to guess, but that's relatively minor when compared to the absurd amount of content I still have left with this game.

The pursuit mode is fast and satisfying - my main complaint there is that there's no sense of visceral force when crashing through obstacles. You can run through street lamps and signs and other cars like they're pieces of wet cardboard, as opposed to it feeling like you're uprooting hundreds of pounds of steel. I suppose that's a gameplay tradeoff, though - if slamming into objects realistically affected your speed and momentum, it would break the tension of fast-paced rides and diminish the desired effect they were going for with the Batmobile in the first place.

I could go on about so many different topics, too - the beautiful neon-grime of the city, the insane attention to detail, the fact that I've not heard an NPC line repeated yet, the refinements to the combat system, the brutally dark and badass story, the sense of escalation in stakes compared to the previous games... but for now, I'll just say:

This bad boy is a beautiful beast of the highest degree

Couldn't agree more. This game would have been torn apart if they didn't do something different by folks here, and critics would have just been like well it's more Batman....

0racle

Can I trigger the second and third endings after the initial story ending? Or do all missions and riddler trophies need to be done before you beat the game initially?

Alienous

Riddler is that you? Lol so vague

I could spoil it for you, but really you should have no idea about the
endings
when you're playing through the game for the first time.

If you just play the game as you would normally nothing will be denied to you. The less you know the better, trust me. Just play the game as if you never heard about this.

Skilletor

I am really, really loving this game.

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games ever (and I loved Origins as well) - Knight seems to be a worthy culmination of the house that Rocksteady built, despite it's minor flaws.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of Batmobile backlash. If AK did not include the type of drastic gameplay shakeup that the Batmobile offers, the game would be slammed across the board for relying too heavily on the structure and format of the previous three games. The predator and combat sections were excellent from the outset of the series - there's only so much more refinement you can add to those systems before they reach a plateau and don't offer enough in terms of novelty and freshness to build an entirely new game around. I can't fathom how much more disappointed people would be if the Batmobile was eliminated entirely, and AK felt like nothing more than Arkham City 2.0 (or Arkham City 3.0, for those of us who have played Origins).

The Batmobile was in the VERY FIRST BATMAN STORY EVERY, all the way back in 1939. It's an even more storied part of the Batman arsenal and mythos than most of his gadgets or combat moves, and it would have been a crying shame had Rocksteady never attempted to integrate it into their series.

Sure, the ratio of combat/predator/Batmobile sections may not be aligned with what everyone wants, but we've played the combat and predator sections in Arkham games before. To death. For the past six years. The Batmobile segments drastically shake up the gameplay flow that we're all so accustomed to and gives a wider variety of Batmanning than players have had before.

The upgrade tree for the Batmobile has been plenty enough to keep me engaged, too (about 50% through the main story, for reference). Upgrade the cooldown time on your missiles to speed up battles. Acquire the upgrade
from Lucius to hack drones and turn them on their allies
. Install the
EMP blast for the ability to short out enemy machines
and make them sitting ducks. There's more than enough variety here to keep me interested in the Batmobile battle sections. The only encounter I haven't liked so far was going up against three Cobra tanks, where you have to sneak around behind them without their laser sights seeing you. I'm sure there will be at least two more of those portions, if I had to guess, but that's relatively minor when compared to the absurd amount of content I still have left with this game.

The pursuit mode is fast and satisfying - my main complaint there is that there's no sense of visceral force when crashing through obstacles. You can run through street lamps and signs and other cars like they're pieces of wet cardboard, as opposed to it feeling like you're uprooting hundreds of pounds of steel. I suppose that's a gameplay tradeoff, though - if slamming into objects realistically affected your speed and momentum, it would break the tension of fast-paced rides and diminish the desired effect they were going for with the Batmobile in the first place.

I could go on about so many different topics, too - the beautiful neon-grime of the city, the insane attention to detail, the fact that I've not heard an NPC line repeated yet, the refinements to the combat system, the brutally dark and badass story, the sense of escalation in stakes compared to the previous games... but for now, I'll just say:

This bad boy is a beautiful beast of the highest degree

Here's the thing. I LIKED the gameplay we've been getting. I do not like driving. I don't like stupid fucking tank mode. I don't like the way it controls. I don't care what reviewers say. I think the batmobile is fucking horrible and a detriment to everything in the game since it was obviously designed around it.

If the batmobile weren't in this game I would be enjoying my time with it completely instead of slogging through sections to get to the things I want to do.

Riddler is that you? Lol so vague

I think that there's some kind of surprise or feature at the end and we shouldn't mind too much about it otherwise we'd enter in spoiler territory. If people say we shouldn't worry about how to get the ending, then I'm not worried, I'll trust.

bobawesome

It sucks that you can't get (not really a spoiler but maybe kinda?)
the Arkham Knight's suit. Pretty disappointed since it looks so cool. Knowing WB, they'll be selling it later on...

Davide

I'm at the end of the Perfect Crime quest, can't continue because I need the batmobile and all the bridges are up. Do I just need to play the main story more?

I'm at the end of the Perfect Crime quest, can't continue because I need the batmobile and all the bridges are up. Do I just need to play the main story more?

Are you sure you lowered all the bridges? you only need to do that... maybe park the Batmobile at the door, I did that.

Edit: Oh, didn't understand, yeah you need to keep playing the main plot.

After finishing every side mission (minus Riddler), one thing bothers me about the GCPD lockdown (spoilers for optional bad guys)
the fire crew captain being locked with Deathstroke, Pyg, Two Face, Penguin or Firefly. I get he deserves to be judged, etc. but couldn't they restrain him in a safer space?

kodecraft

Yup. There's an option in the pause menu that lets you toggle battle mode. It's pretty good for a lot of people. Personally, I feel like it's snappier to use the default for switching back and forth between battle and pursuit modes quickly. Sometimes I like to go into pursuit modes and just ram the shit out of drone tanks, then quickly switch back to tank mode.

I agree here. Default Batmobile controls feel better for me, I switch from pursuit to battle mode frequently and the defaults for high level Batmobility feels so good.

VanWinkle

About 30% into the story mode, now. MAN I LOVE THIS GAME. Batmobile is great, too. Moreso the tank than the driving portion, but still awesome.

Top Bottom