• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
To understand the complaints regarding the Batmobile you really have to complete the game.

I still don't.

The 70-ish % spoiler
7 Cobra tanks and Cloudburst fight was the only thing I really didn't like about the Batmobile. If it was more than just that one segment I would start to agree with you and some others but it's a lot better than I expected overall.

I'm only an hour or so into it and it seems they've designed the entire game around the Batmobile. However, this has led to some frustrating moments that have not allowed me to become immersed in Gotham. Just as I'm about to get my teeth into a mission, there is this prompt to call in the car to do some of the most pointless things one could imagine.

Had the car been introduced later in the game and reserved for some specific driving scenarios, that would have been great. But it's treated like an accessory from the belt demanding you to utilise it after every few steps.

I'm garbage at riddles. What was the answer to
the question you can only ask upon reflection? I tried to leave twice so he just let me through lol

Alienous

I still don't.

The 70-ish % spoiler
7 Cobra tanks and Cloudburst fight was the only thing I really didn't like about the Batmobile. If it was more than just that one segment I would start to agree with you and some others but it's a lot better than I expected overall.

Well, that's not a 100%. There could be reasons that you haven't encountered yet, potentially, right?

And as far as the Batmobile goes what you're talking about didn't bother me actually. It's more than that, and it becomes more clear in reflection when you've completed the game (or it did for me).

As I said before I certain Arkham Knight would have been a better game if it was designed without the Batmobile's battle-mode.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, that's not a 100%. There could be things reasons that you haven't encountered yet, potentially, right?

I've finished the entire main story. Was just giving context for the spoiler. Haven't done the 100% side mission stuff though but I've done most of it.

Last quarter of the game it felt like Rocksteady thought, "shit...we need to get our money's worth with this Batmobile thing ya'll". Batmobile physic puzzles, Batmboile chases, Batmobile stealth, Batmobile boss fights, Batmobile fighting dozens and dozens of drones, holy ricecakes, Batman.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
I've only just finished the
Ace Chemicals
section but I already feel some of the Batmobile complaints. Actually using it has only been enjoyable for me, but getting the thing through the facility just felt tedious. Not difficult by any means, just frustrating.

Neiteio

Last quarter of the game it felt like Rocksteady thought, "shit...we need to get our money's worth with this Batmobile thing ya'll". Batmobile physic puzzles, Batmboile chases, Batmobile stealth, Batmobile boss fights, Batmobile fighting dozens and dozens of drones, holy ricecakes, Batman.
Haven't beat the game yet, but I'm hoping there's a part where the Batmobile drives inside a larger Batmobile and you get to drive this Bat-batmobile

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
the question you can only ask upon reflection? I tried to leave twice so he just let me through lol

IIRC,
you could batarang the question mark buttons a couple times to make some green marks appear in the center of the floor, then you could align that with a reflection of the green spotlight to make a big green question mark on the floor, similar to how the riddles worked in Asylum.

Honestly, I kinda muddled through this one, barely realized what I'd done before the answer was in front of me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, that's not a 100%. There could be reasons that you haven't encountered yet, potentially, right?

And as far as the Batmobile goes what you're talking about didn't bother me actually. It's more than that, and it becomes more clear in reflection when you've completed the game (or it did for me).

As I said before I certain Arkham Knight would have been a better game if it was designed without the Batmobile's battle-mode.

Just saw your edit. I enjoyed every battle mode segment. They're really easy and once you get a hang of the secondary weapons and have it upgraded it starts to have a similar flow to the freeflow hand to hand combat.

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone else find it odd just how much of a robot batman is in this game? It's like he's not even in a conversation with people. Someone like oracle will say something personal about her life to him and he'll just say "I'll go check on ____." and leave. He doesn't seem to be in the same dialogue as everyone else.

How are you supposed to take out the militia checkpoint under Perdition Bridge? The one with four sentry guns and all the guards have guns? At best all I've been able to do is take out one sentry gun and two guards, the rest are too clumped up to use stealth and combat doesn't work because the sentry guns take you out.

Edit: Never mind, got it.
You have to pull a gate down and then you can just drive the batmobile in.

I got you bro

The central circle in the middle of the floor is key. The light up question marks on the fence rotate three different parts of that circle. Line them up to make a question mark on the floor and then position yourself so reflection of the green glowing dot complete the image. Hold up on the d-pad when you get it

Alienous

I've finished the entire main story. Was just giving context for the spoiler. Haven't done the 100% side mission stuff though but I've done most of it.

Maybe it just wasn't a problem for you, then.

For me:

The vast majority of what could be called bosses amounted to cheap shooting at another vehicle, or a ton of vehicles. The only way to make it more difficult is to add more AI enemies, they either stand still and shoot in straight lines or fly around and drop bombs at areas, some have missiles. The game just adds vehicles and doesn't do much else. Overall I found it to be a vapid shooting gallery mini-game that occurred more often than even predator combat.

The driving and the chases are fine. The battle-mode felt like a cheap way of extending gameplay length with gameplay that had little to no depth or real strategy (it was really just shoot at your targets and dodge lines). It's mindless, and it doesn't get more difficult as they add enemies but more tedious. By my fourth Batmobile battle I was as good as I needed to be to have no problem with any of it, and yet it goes on and on and becomes more frequent as the game progresses.

kanuuna

Is it possible to access any DLC / Season Pass content on any other accounts, other than the one that's made the purchase? I'm thinking of buying the game digitally from the US PlayStation Store and then playing it on my main (EU) account, but I wouldn't want to buy the game again to access DLC if I were interested in any.
In the past, I've purchased a couple of games this way, but accessing DLC content has been hit and miss. I wasn't able to get access to the digital pre-order bonuses in the case of Advanced Warfare, but I could use the Dark Ranger skin and access an additional mode in Shadow of Mordor when I downloaded that content with an additional redeemable code.

For reference, the EU digital version is 69,99€ and you can get a code via Amazon for the Premium Edition of Arkham Knight (game + Season Pass) for ~89,90€ (converted from 99.99 USD).

Neff

I am really, really loving this game.

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games ever (and I loved Origins as well) - Knight seems to be a worthy culmination of the house that Rocksteady built, despite it's minor flaws.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of Batmobile backlash. If AK did not include the type of drastic gameplay shakeup that the Batmobile offers, the game would be slammed across the board for relying too heavily on the structure and format of the previous three games. The predator and combat sections were excellent from the outset of the series - there's only so much more refinement you can add to those systems before they reach a plateau and don't offer enough in terms of novelty and freshness to build an entirely new game around. I can't fathom how much more disappointed people would be if the Batmobile was eliminated entirely, and AK felt like nothing more than Arkham City 2.0 (or Arkham City 3.0, for those of us who have played Origins).

The Batmobile was in the VERY FIRST BATMAN STORY EVERY, all the way back in 1939. It's an even more storied part of the Batman arsenal and mythos than most of his gadgets or combat moves, and it would have been a crying shame had Rocksteady never attempted to integrate it into their series.

Sure, the ratio of combat/predator/Batmobile sections may not be aligned with what everyone wants, but we've played the combat and predator sections in Arkham games before. To death. For the past six years. The Batmobile segments drastically shake up the gameplay flow that we're all so accustomed to and gives a wider variety of Batmanning than players have had before.

The upgrade tree for the Batmobile has been plenty enough to keep me engaged, too (about 50% through the main story, for reference). Upgrade the cooldown time on your missiles to speed up battles. Acquire the upgrade
from Lucius to hack drones and turn them on their allies
. Install the
EMP blast for the ability to short out enemy machines
and make them sitting ducks. There's more than enough variety here to keep me interested in the Batmobile battle sections. The only encounter I haven't liked so far was going up against three Cobra tanks, where you have to sneak around behind them without their laser sights seeing you. I'm sure there will be at least two more of those portions, if I had to guess, but that's relatively minor when compared to the absurd amount of content I still have left with this game.

The pursuit mode is fast and satisfying - my main complaint there is that there's no sense of visceral force when crashing through obstacles. You can run through street lamps and signs and other cars like they're pieces of wet cardboard, as opposed to it feeling like you're uprooting hundreds of pounds of steel. I suppose that's a gameplay tradeoff, though - if slamming into objects realistically affected your speed and momentum, it would break the tension of fast-paced rides and diminish the desired effect they were going for with the Batmobile in the first place.

I could go on about so many different topics, too - the beautiful neon-grime of the city, the insane attention to detail, the fact that I've not heard an NPC line repeated yet, the refinements to the combat system, the brutally dark and badass story, the sense of escalation in stakes compared to the previous games... but for now, I'll just say:

This bad boy is a beautiful beast of the highest degree

This is a great post. I'm so glad that the Batmobile is such a central component of the gameplay. It completes the Batman experience wonderfully.

I don't know what people were expecting with it, but I'm ecstatic with what Rocksteady delivered.

viveks86

Yeah I think that Batmobile has clearly divided people in terms of preference than quality. From everything I've read, it sounds like people are not enjoying it not because it is objectively bad/broken but simply because it's not what they want in a Batman game, which is valid criticism too.

Wish I could comment on it from first hand experience X(

Yup. There's an option in the pause menu that lets you toggle battle mode. It's pretty good for a lot of people. Personally, I feel like it's snappier to use the default for switching back and forth between battle and pursuit modes quickly. Sometimes I like to go into pursuit modes and just ram the shit out of drone tanks, then quickly switch back to tank mode.

Hmm, thanks, I'll check it out and see which one feels better to me. :)

Put me in the camp of Batmobile lovers. I love almost everything about it. Especially that it requires some effort to learn the handling. I hate open world games with completely boring car physics. This game just keeps on getting better, it might beat AA if it continues like that.
It is far far better than AC in my book already.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah I think that Batmobile has clearly divided people in terms of preference than quality. From everything I've read, it sounds like people are not enjoying it not because it is objectively bad/broken but simply because it's not what they want in a Batman game, which is valid criticism too.

Wish I could comment on it from first hand experience X(
I'm just surprised because I normally despise vehicle sections and I loved it in this.

S-T-F-U

Neo Member
Am I the only one not having problems playing the PC version of this game? I'm seeing so much anger and hatred for it but I've yet to have a single crash or hiccup whilst playing. According to the profile screen I'm 20% into it.

Hagi

The setup for that quest is amazing, though.

What's so amazing about it?

I only dislike the Riddler Batmobile stuff, the combat once you learn the flow is gold. Driving about and shocking people in the street is hilarious as well.

Neiteio

I would be way more into the Batmobile if it was actually the Gurren Lagann of cars.
Imagine the Batmobile... driving inside another Batmobile... which drives into a parking garage... which reveals itself to be a mecha... which fires smaller Batmobiles out of its finger-cannons.

Rocksteady now has to make another Arkham, we clearly haven't tapped the full potential.

I "finished" the game yesterday...and I just saw that to get the actual ending to the game you need to do a lot of the side quests in the game...how did Rocksteady think that this was ok?
That combined with shoehorning in the car kind of bogs down the whole experience even if the core batman gameplay is the best it has ever been.

Cindro

Co-signed. I struggled with the Batmobile at first, but now it's incredible. I find myself driving around more and more, and actually picking fights with the drones. And few things are as satisfying in videogames as when you infiltrate a place as Batman, find yourself outnumbered, but then let the Batmobile in to wreck shit. So good!

I like this post, the batmobile absolutely makes the game for me. If you don't like it, might as well give up altogether just but don't dismiss the amount of work and love that Rocksteady put into it.

Chiming in with more love for the Batmobile.

This is a great post. I'm so glad that the Batmobile is such a central component of the gameplay. It completes the Batman experience wonderfully.

I don't know what people were expecting with it, but I'm ecstatic with what Rocksteady delivered.
Batmobros, unite!

prod_987935603

Alienous

I "finished" the game yesterday...and I just saw that to get the actual ending to the game you need to do a lot of the side quests in the game...how did Rocksteady think that this was ok?

The only way the 'actual ending' makes sense is if you complete every side mission in the game.

I was expecting to hate the bat mobile because I'm not a big fan of most driving games or games with a lot of driving in them, but I'm actually having fun with it. Of course, I'm not terribly far, and if people say there's a lot of tank sections later in the game, I could see how that would be annoying as that's not the fun part of using the bat mobile.

The only way the 'actual ending' makes sense is if you complete every side mission in the game.

Does this include Riddler trophies/stuff or no?

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm loving the game so far. I'm eager to see how the bosses play out. That said, can someone spoil the bosses for me? Just a PM will do - I'm just curious who the bosses are in this game. Thanks!

cackhyena

Is Rocksteady gonna keep teasing me with that Batwing and never let me use it? I realize I'd get from one end of the map to the other in 4 seconds. I don't give a what.

Hagi

That combined with shoehorning in the car kind of bogs down the whole experience even if the core batman gameplay is the best it has ever been.

It's not really an out there thing to have multiple endings that each have certain requirements. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Is Rocksteady gonna keep teasing me with that Batwing and never let me use it? I realize I'd get from one end of the map to the other in 4 seconds. I don't give a what.

I'm positive I've seen it flying about while driving in the Batmobile which makes it like they are taunting you lol

I'm loving the game so far. I'm eager to see how the bosses play out. That said, can someone spoil the bosses for me? Just a PM will do - I'm just curious who the bosses are in this game. Thanks!

Well
I'm 60% in the game in general and there aren't any traditional boss fights

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck is up with this games install time?! (on PS4)

Prototype

Chiming in with more love for the Batmobile. The only things I don't like (not actively dislike) is when you're forced to stay in tank mode during the combat (like with the bomb diffusing challenges, since you have to stay close) — if you could always zip around a building in pursuit mode, get some distance, slam into the tanks and then go into tank mode, it would mix things up better. You can do that, but not in every battle.

Hmmm ... curious. Glitch maybe?

Or something more, perhaps ...

Oh oh oh, SPRING LOADED.

I've been waiting to hear your thoughts on this game. 100% agree with you about City being an excellent game, interested to hear your thoughts on this entry.
So far I'm loving this game and it's essentially tied with city for me.

You'll have to do one of your huge detailed threads once you're finished with game. Looking forward to it.

Vaga

Lmao at singing
Joker
. And his little manifestations throughout all the missions, even side ones. Man, this might be my favorite Batman game. And I'm loving the hell out of this batmobile, screw you haters.

Carbonox

"Place waymarker on side mission icon"

*Still have to wander endlessly to hope you bump in to one of the side mission components*

Either I didn't watch enough trailers or the Arkham Knight is a petulant little child. Didn't expect him to behave the way he does. Whine whine whine whine whine.

Top Bottom