• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

No reason vent animations should feel so good, but Rocksteady's animation team and presentation goes above and beyond in every aspect.

AK1bf2cd.gif

AK209726.gif

Anyone else think this is the worst arkham game?

the story has a lot of issues and the batmobile tank stuff is just awful.

it's the best arkham game.

the story in none of them has been good (only origins had a kinda decent one) but the gameplay is great. a shame i stopped playing after the halfway point but i'm holding out for the pc port to get fixed

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it me or is the combat a bit more frustrating this time around? It's not unbearably so, but can cause minor annoyances.

I don't recall ever dealing with this in Arkham City, but quite a but in Arkham Origins.

Certain things I have noticed:
1. Far too often during combat the camera will get too close to Batman and I often can't see an enemy attacking such that I can properly counter them. It often feels too cramped.

2. I am not a fan of how the camera will suddenly change directions when you're in the middle of something like a beatdown, where you will go and attack another enemy and/or even whiff losing the combo.

3. Removing the batswarm has really put me in a handicap. That was always my go-to move when I needed to reposition myself and keep fights in my favor. No good reason to remove this. I would much rather Rocksteady have made it such that you had enemies that were immune to it.

4. Enemies seem to blend in to the environment much easier in this game than in previous games. I have no idea, maybe I just have worse eyesight than I did in 2013,2011 and 2009. But the red color seems to disrupt me a little bit.

5. Difficult to tell brutes from other enemies. I feel like they more easily blend in with other enemies and Batman will often lose a combo when he hits them. Actually it seems like they blended brutes with lieutenants. In AC and AO, I loved brutes because I would use them to build up my combo and use batswarm to take out other enemies. That option has been removed thus far.

Just some observations, maybe some of the issues I have actually mentioned were present in Arkham City (such as the camera), but I dont recall them since the bulk of my time was spent in the combat challenges.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to check something about the game on wikipedia so I type 'arkham knight' into my search bar (which I have set to search wikipedia) and it brings me to the character page rather than the game page and I spoiled myself. Looks I was right about the arkham knights identity but I still feel like an idiot.

FStop7

Banned
I am the worst person when it comes to games with long story arcs.

I have the worst urge to stop my playthrough of AK and do a full run through the series in chronological order: Origins, Asylum, City, Knight.

I am the worst person when it comes to games with long story arcs.

I have the worst urge to stop my playthrough of AK and do a full run through the series in chronological order: Origins, Asylum, City, Knight.

going from origins refined combat back to asylum's will be painful.

Regarding gadgets etc, for anyone that has finished the game.
I still have some upgrades that are locked, despite finishing the game. Any ideas as to what they are / how to get them? Is it exclusive to new-game+?

neoism

so is the leaderboards offline or somehting... its said no connection to playstation network can be established for like 4 days now.. :(

bobawesome

I still think Asylum is the best gameplay wise but I love Arkham Knight more as a complete package. Arkham City was terrible and I'd prefer to forget its existence.

So early in the game I found one fireman...how do I locate the others?

A couple of ways- pay attention to the police chatter. If they refer to a hostage situation that's what they are referring to. Take note of the area of the city that they mention (Bristol, etc).

Also, when go to a high point (or glide really high) go to detective vision and look around. They will almost always be represented by a large group of people in a circle. Hard to describe but once you see it then they become easy to find.

I love all the subtle touches and changes in this game as you progress, especially in the GCPD.

GCPD is amazing. They really went above and beyond there.

Grexeno

Keep flying around listening to radio chatter, the other way to tell is if you see a group of enemies bunched around in a circle in detective mode.
I found that the radio chatter was quite useless. Too rare and when it did happen it was usually just to report a riot.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Yes. It's a good game but isn't on the same GOAT level as Asylum and City.

No reason vent animations should feel so good, but Rocksteady's animation team and presentation goes above and beyond in every aspect.

AK1bf2cd.gif

AK209726.gif

Glad to see someone else really appreciate those vent animations.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

AK1bf2cd.gif

AK209726.gif
There's a lot of love in the animation and camera work in this gsme. It adds so much to the impact and fluidity of the game.

Wow I am so glad I read this detail on the NG+

The Joker pops up and laughs at you when he gets incinerated

IS THIS GAME TRYING TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK.

Is it just me or does this game have amazing pacing for an open world game? AC was off in this regard, but it seems they put a lot of effort in making everything feels smooth and connected.

Also the graphical polish is just INSANE. Every shitty little room oozes with detail and the game constantly shows off graphical effects out the wazoo. Deeply impressed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is it just me or does this game have amazing pacing for an open world game? AC was off in this regard, but it seems they put a lot of effort in making everything feels smooth and connected.

Also the graphical polish is just INSANE. Every shitty little room oozes with detail and the game constantly shows off graphical effects out the wazoo. Deeply impressed.
The pacing is my favorite thing about it. The blend between side content and main line is well balanced in a way that keeps you from getting too sidetracked and adds substantial variety.

TentPole

Regarding gadgets etc, for anyone that has finished the game.
I still have some upgrades that are locked, despite finishing the game. Any ideas as to what they are / how to get them? Is it exclusive to new-game+?

probably missed the freeze blast. You can find it by the quarantine cells for the joker victims.

kodecraft

I find myself cheating when it comes to driving hostages from point A to point B or upgrading the Batmobile at specific locations.

What I would do is just glide to the location of get as close as possible...then just call on the Batmobile. Easy.

Just put another 4+ hours into this thing. Since I'm doing all of the side quests I can, though, I'm not finished with the campaign.

It's a really awesome game.

I did all of the bank heists, and am close to the end of the Bat Creature's arc. That thing scared me when I first encountered it out of nowhere.

As for the story,
I just took out the long range missile launcher
. Not exactly sure of how far that is.

Cade

Only got one more side mission and then 400 billion Riddler Trophies. Alienous, let me know:
how mad am i gonna be when i get the trophies and see the second half of the ending

Grexeno

I love how guys get electrically shocked away from the Batmobile.

But then you can just drive right over their unconscious bodies.

The open world at about the 50% point in the game is amazing and one of my favorites in I don't know how long. Yes, I've played Witcher 3 (one of my favorite games of all time):

Once the islands become militarized and there are checkpoints, tanks patrols, watch towers, flying drones, etc. It's all very clearly labeled visually and each little encounter usually offers a cool variation on normal fights. And the enemy diversity took a hugh jump as well so even the hand to hand fights are much more challenging than the early game.

Plus, honestly, dropping on drones from above and planting explosive charges just never gets old for me.

I also appreciate how so many of the sidequests don't give you waypoints. I love going to a perch on a really high build, putting on detective vision and searching them out.

On paper this stuff sounds like typical Ubisoft checklists but IMO Arkham Knight does it right. Plus the core play mechanics are just so much more satisfying than Assassins Creed, Watch_Dogs, Far Cry, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The open world at about the 50% point in the game is amazing and one of my favorites in I don't know how long. Yes, I've played Witcher 3 (one of my favorite games of all time):

Once the islands become militarized and there are checkpoints, tanks patrols, watch towers, flying drones, etc. It's all very clearly labeled visually and each little encounter usually offers a cool variation on normal fights. And the enemy diversity took a hugh jump as well so even the hand to hand fights are much more challenging than the early game.

Plus, honestly, dropping on drones from above and planting explosive charges just never gets old for me.

I also appreciate how so many of the sidequests don't give you waypoints. I love going to a perch on a really high build, putting on detective vision and searching them out.

On paper this stuff sounds like typical Ubisoft checklists but IMO Arkham Knight does it right. Plus the core play mechanics are just so much more satisfying than Assassins Creed, Watch_Dogs, Far Cry, etc.
The sidequest actually have well designed encounters. I think that some of the people lamenting a lack of predator and combat encounters really need to do more of the side stuff.

The added high voltage shock saved them.

So he's actually not even hurting them, it's like preemptive defibrillation.

The Batmens is helping these thugs by running them down in his 5 ton Batmobiletank, don't even worry guys. And the bullets? They're like little criminal vitamins. Essential for everyday living.

The sidequest actually have well designed encounters. I think that some of the people lamenting a lack of predator and combat encounters really need to do more of the side stuff.

Yep. Watchtowers and firefighter rescues are godlike. They're presented as generic open world copy paste checklist gaming, but their execution is anything but.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So he's actually not even hurting them, it's like preemptive defibrillation.

The Batmens is helping these thugs by running them down in his 5 ton Batmobiletank, don't even worry guys. And the bullets? They're like little criminal vitamins. Essential for everyday living.
You can even shoot vitamins through multiple guys. Batman is making healthcare as efficient as he can.

The Firefly sidequest, however, is literally the exact same thing every time.
That one and
Manbat
are the worst. I actually enjoy the Riddler stuff this time around though, so that's an improvement.

jbug617

Banned
Just got to the movie studios/Harley Quinn part. She came out of left field, wasn't it hinted in Arkham City that she was pregnant at the end?

Wanted to finish out the Riddler's mission but he won't let me until I get a certain gadget

The Firefly sidequest, however, is literally the exact same thing every time.

I wonder who's the guy who writes all the redundant bad guy banter in the Arkham games. They must be a fun job.

"OK, I gotta pad out this Firefly quest with fire puns/referenecs...lets do this."

"You're gonna burrrrrn, Batman, just like me!" "This whole city will be ashes when I'm done!" "Gon leave Gotham as a smoking crater, HA HA HA!" "The fire still burns, Batman!"

My brother and I sometimes do fake Arkham Bad Guy dialog, its like adlibs. Make sure you make the conversations as long and circular as possible just in case the player doesn't attack yet. And make them as impossibly cartoony as you can.

"Ya know something, I'm beginning to like this Arkham Knight guy"
"Yeah? Is it because you got a crush on the Bat-Freak and he reminds you a certain someone?"
"Shut up, will ya? I'm talking about his confidence."
"Confidence?"
"Yeah! Ya know...the way he carries himself"
"So you're saying you like the way he's built, huh?"
"Just shut up, man..."
"Hey man, I'm not judging. We all getting paid the same though, you understand?"
"Lets just keep our personal lives personal and focus on the job, alright? The Batman could be here at any moment."
"Ha! I like to see him try! With this new sentry turret, we're gonna blast his wings off!"

Top Bottom