• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Just finished the main story mission and still have to clean up the most wanted missions before
activating the Knightfall Protocol.

I don't think I've ever had such mixed feelings about a game before. I'll probably make a more detailed post later, but I'm kind of sitting between "kinda sorta satisfied" and "deeply disappointed".

I wonder who's the guy who writes all the redundant bad guy banter in the Arkham games. They must be a fun job.

"OK, I gotta pad out this Firefly quest with fire puns/referenecs...lets do this."

"You're gonna burrrrrn, Batman, just like me!" "This whole city will be ashes when I'm done!" "Gon leave Gotham as a smoking crater, HA HA HA!" "The fire still burns, Batman!"

My brother and I sometimes do fake Arkham Bad Guy dialog, its like adlibs. Make sure you make the conversations as long and circular as possible just in case the player doesn't attack yet. And make them as impossibly cartoony as you can.

"Ya know something, I'm beginning to like this Arkham Knight guy"
"Yeah? Is it because you got a crush on the Bat-Freak and he reminds you a certain someone?"
"Shut up, will ya? I'm talking about his confidence."
"Confidence?"
"Yeah! Ya know...the way he carries himself"
"So you're saying you like the way he's built, huh?"
"Just shut up, man..."
"Hey man, I'm not judging. We all getting paid the same though, you understand?"
"Lets just keep our personal lives personal and focus on the job, alright? The Batman could be here at any moment."
"Ha! I like to see him try! With this new sentry turret, we're gonna blast his wings off!"

I swear to god, I thought this was an actual conversation.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutly love the batmobile. Slide to avoid the tanks and destroying them is fun.

Graphics are incredible good, fighting is fun and it is awesome to be 60s batman :D!

Grexeno

I wonder who's the guy who writes all the redundant bad guy banter in the Arkham games. They must be a fun job.

"OK, I gotta pad out this Firefly quest with fire puns/referenecs...lets do this."

"You're gonna burrrrrn, Batman, just like me!" "This whole city will be ashes when I'm done!" "Gon leave Gotham as a smoking crater, HA HA HA!" "The fire still burns, Batman!"

My brother and I sometimes do fake Arkham Bad Guy dialog, its like adlibs. Make sure you make the conversations as long and circular as possible just in case the player doesn't attack yet. And make them as impossibly cartoony as you can.

"Ya know something, I'm beginning to like this Arkham Knight guy"
"Yeah? Is it because you got a crush on the Bat-Freak and he reminds you a certain someone?"
"Shut up, will ya? I'm talking about his confidence."
"Confidence?"
"Yeah! Ya know...the way he carries himself"
"So you're saying you like the way he's built, huh?"
"Just shut up, man..."
"Hey man, I'm not judging. We all getting paid the same though, you understand?"
"Lets just keep our personal lives personal and focus on the job, alright? The Batman could be here at any moment."
"Ha! I like to see him try! With this new sentry turret, we're gonna blast his wings off!"
For added effect, imagine one of these guys is Patrick Seitz doing the one Patrick Seitz voice, and the other guy is also Patrick Seitz.

For added effect, imagine one of these guys is Patrick Seitz doing the one Patrick Seitz voice, and the other guy is also Patrick Seitz.

occasionally they mix a Steven Blum doing Steven Blum in there as well.

"Yeah, and after his wings, we'll tear off his limbs!"
"Uh, isn't that the same thing?"
"What?"
"Well, I mean a Bat's wings are connected to him. They're basically arms!"
"So what are you saying!?"
"I'm saying we're already tearing off his limbs if we tear off his wings!"
"Ok ok you've got a point...but what about legs?"

Grexeno

"What?"
"Ok ok...but what about legs?"

Shit, I actually didn't realize any of those guys was Steve Blum. He certainly disguised himself better than Seitz.

Cade

Guys, I have done every side mission but trophies and I have I think five or six upgrades I can't get in my menu. when do they unlock

jediyoshi

The Firefly sidequest, however, is literally the exact same thing every time.

The odds that you'd end up doing these multiple times in a row are also tiny. There's a reason they very deliberately make it so you can't do most of the side missions from beginning to end unless they're all you're looking for.

The sidequest actually have well designed encounters. I think that some of the people lamenting a lack of predator and combat encounters really need to do more of the side stuff.

Agreed. The predator stuff in this game is much more out in the open world than previous games since the engine can handle it now and I think it's the best predator gameplay that the series has ever had.

Yeah the sidequests stories may not be fleshed out like Witcher 3's but just about all have them have really cool encounter design. Especially the (approximately 50% mark)
Two Face bank robberies

That one and
Manbat
are the worst. I actually enjoy the Riddler stuff this time around though, so that's an improvement.

I kind of don't agree about
Manbat
because
it broke things up with the little investigation bit in his lab including the neat DNA puzzle. I do wish more of the quests did things like that- I like the firefighter fights but it would be neat if we could do some arson investigations in the middle as well

"What?"
"Ok ok you've got a point...but what about legs?"

If they stopped talking for a minute they'd probably hear Batman's loud ass up in the rafters shooting grappling hooks everywhere and crashing through vents.

But man, those new security systems are just too good water cooler talk to pass up.

Shit, I actually didn't realize any of those guys was Steve Blum. He certainly disguised himself better than Seitz.

Not really. he's just doing tough guy Steve Blum instead of Spike Spiegel Steve Blum. He's the voice of like every 3rd thug in the game.

Is it me or is the combat a bit more frustrating this time around? It's not unbearably so, but can cause minor annoyances.

I don't recall ever dealing with this in Arkham City, but quite a but in Arkham Origins.

Certain things I have noticed:
1. Far too often during combat the camera will get too close to Batman and I often can't see an enemy attacking such that I can properly counter them. It often feels too cramped.

2. I am not a fan of how the camera will suddenly change directions when you're in the middle of something like a beatdown, where you will go and attack another enemy and/or even whiff losing the combo.

I was wondering the same thing. It's been a long time since I've played the last games, but I didn't remember having such a hard time with the camera back then. I just wish it would stay in one spot and quit moving

HardRojo

I can tell it's gonna take a while for me to finish and 100% this game. Been playing for like 6 hours today. Just the PS4 to rest but I'll jump back in in a couple of hours.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sooo I'm at one of the main missions where you're supposed to meet up with the Batwing to get some upgrade. I go to the location, and there's a Batmobile marker on the ground that I'm clearly supposed to drive up to, but when I do the game just says "Secure area to continue". Secure from what?! There's nothing here that I can see. Please don't tell me I've hit a game-breaking bug. Fucking please.

Sooo I'm at one of the main missions where you're supposed to meet up with the Batwing to get some upgrade. I go to the location, and there's a Batmobile marker on the ground that I'm clearly supposed to drive up to, but when I do the game just says "Secure area to continue". Secure from what?! There's nothing here that I can see. Please don't tell me I've hit a game-breaking bug. Fucking please.

It means you have to subdue any enemies in the vicinity. Take a look in detective vision and make sure there is no one even remotely close.

If they stopped talking for a minute they'd probably hear Batman's loud ass up in the rafters shooting grappling hooks everywhere and crashing through vents.

But man, those new security systems are just too good water cooler talk to pass up.

"Man, check out this gear! I look like something out of a comic book! Arkham Knight says that in this outfit, Batman won't ever be able to see me on his sonar!"
"Yeah, well don't get overconfident. The Batman can get you in the dark."
"Awww, give it a rest, will ya? I'm invincible in this thing! I wish my old CO can see me now. I'd 'dishonorably discharge" this entire magazine in his face, HA HA /evilstevenblumlaugh"

Ya know what's always badass? Flying on one of those hornet flying things patrolling the city, planting a bomb on it, diving off like a badass and explode it in mid-air.

Grady

Soooo, i was half paying attention and grappled up to a ledge and
some winged creature grabbed me
and scared the shit out of me. So fucking random. The game had my attention again. Love discovering quests at random.

and scared the shit out of me. So fucking random. The game had my attention again. Love discovering quests at random.

That happened to me late at night when I was getting sleepy and about to call it a night. After that moment I was wired and play for 2 more hours.

The exact same thing happened to me. I was partially looking away, and it scared me.

Zurick

Banned
All I want to say is Fuck Gamestop. Never got my Red Hood code, just realized it today. Went in and inquired, was told to get fucked basically (in a polite PR friendly way)

Sober

The sidequest actually have well designed encounters. I think that some of the people lamenting a lack of predator and combat encounters really need to do more of the side stuff.
The problem is they are finite and don't respawn. Which is why people really wanted challenge maps to return.

The best thing about this, ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE FINISHED THE game, read the next part.

Joker's hilarious mimicking of the moment, cemented this as one my favourite games this gen

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OK holy shit, this is actually a conversation that just happen five seconds ago with a capture firefighter. Paraphrasing

"I say we do em now!"
"Now? But why?"
"The longer we screw around, the bigger chance of Batman showing up!"
"Ok, what are you thinking?"
"I'm thinking quickly"
"How quick?"
"I thought there was only one quick"
"I'd say there are varying degrees of quickness!"
"Ugh, the more you talk, the more I'm think of whacking you off instead!"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I keep noticing all these small cool-ass details that benefit what they're doing with the story. I already posted this one last night but noticed some more stuff:

http://i.imgur.com/weHA8WE.jpg

Switching signs until it's out of your PoV, then changing.

http://i.imgur.com/cwaSZVh.jpg

I've seen more than just this one by now. Most recently I was fighting on the street and randomly noticed one of the thugs was the joker. It did this a lot in the batmobile during story missions, but just free roaming there's stuff like this cropping up if you keep your eyes open.

Rocksteady doing work to make me feel insane. They need to make a horror game.

OK holy shit, this is actually a conversation that just happen five seconds ago with a capture firefighter. Paraphrasing

"I say we do em now!"
"Now? But why?"
"I'm thinking quickly"
"How quick?"

Yeah, there's a huge variety of nice dialogue in this, most of it really interesting.

"I say we do em now!"
"Now? But why?"
"I'm thinking quickly"
"How quick?"

lmao

Never change, talky videogame mooks.

I keep noticing all these small cool-ass details that benefit what they're doing with the story. I already posted this one last night but noticed some more stuff:

http://i.imgur.com/weHA8WE.jpg

Switching signs until it's out of your PoV, then changing.

http://i.imgur.com/cwaSZVh.jpg

I've seen more than just this one by now. Most recently I was fighting on the street and randomly noticed one of the thugs was the joker. It did this a lot in the batmobile during story missions, but just free roaming there's stuff like this cropping up if you keep your eyes open.

Rocksteady doing work to make me feel insane. They need to make a horror game.

Randomly statues and ornaments will turn into
The Joker
sometimes when he's not even around

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why is every damn game released nowadays a broken fucking piece of shit? So fucking tired of game-breaking glitches. I literally can't proceed. I've been loving the game up until this point, but now I fucking hate it. Gonna see if I can return it and get my money back. No good playing a broken game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

"I say we do em now!"
"Now? But why?"
"I'm thinking quickly"
"How quick?"
My favorite is the guy talks who about how he was at Blackgate, the Asylum, City, and now in Gotham and never saw Batman.

He saw Batman immediately after

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like the guy who rates riots. This one isn't as good as Blackgate, but it's up there.

Randomly statues and ornaments will turn into
The Joker
sometimes when he's not even around

That's the kind of small stuff they didn't have to do and will go unnoticed by most people, but add so much at the same time. I love it.

adj_noun

Question about a late game gadget/Founders Island Riddler trophy

Do you need to "find" the Riddler's voice before you can use the voice synthesizer on a Riddler bot? I keep trying to order one to move onto a pressure plate and Batman refuses to acknowledge it as a target. I'm pointing the darn voice synth thing right at it!

I love the guy who complains about criminals taking the riots too seriously that start bringing in tech and tanks messing it up for everyone.

Rocksteady with that meta self criticism.

Cade

Question about a late game gadget/Founders Island Riddler trophy

Do you need to "find" the Riddler's voice before you can use the voice synthesizer on a Riddler bot? I keep trying to order one to move onto a pressure plate and Batman refuses to acknowledge it as a target. I'm pointing the darn voice synth thing right at it!

Yeah. I just found it at the
movie studios with a puzzle involving Fear Takedowning robots, but it might be at other robot places

Top Bottom