• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

I didn't read the full review in fear of spoilers, just the last line + score. Who actually takes time to do shit like fake reviews. I guess he did get my click :(.

AntonioBanderas.gif

iKcrNoxlJysEE.gif

I couldn't decide if I wanted to play through AC again before this game came out so I settled on just playing Harley's DLC since I hadn't tried it before. It's...not very good so far. Feels like AC but stripped of everything that made the game good except the combat.

Can I just say, it's a real pleasure to be in a thread where I agree with you for the most part Derrick. I feel like I must be having a stroke or something.

Irobot82

I think I found where the lack of hype might be coming from. There is no marketing for this game. Remember all those amazing black and white images that spread like wildfire for AC? I haven't see anything like that for this game.

Rocksteady/WB should fire their other writers and hire me and Ephemeris.

1588661-detectivecomics_871.jpeg

Rather than going straight out with Justice League, I'd love it if Rocksteady just expanded the city of Gotham into a full-on city, and then took on Snyder's approach that Gotham is a city that generates pure nightmare for its inhabitants. It is a reflection of that which has caused you the most fear and pain and suffering. That approach would work perfectly after all the shit Bruce has gone through. Thematically, it can tie into Hush as an antagonist of Batman, Azrael as a failed successor, The Red Hood as his son, so Bruce see his own failures as a father reflected, and The Court of Owls as his surrogate parents.

Fucking thematic narrative arcs everywhere up in this bitch.

Also: No more single night events. It borders on the hilarious that it's perpetually night and that all this shit happens in one single night. Rather, structure the game like a mini-series or series, with each side-quest as an episode and a long over-arching narrative that ties into the side-quests that ebbs and flows. The narrative in AA and AC begins to suffer as we get closer to the end and there's no room for it to breathe. Structure it like a series, each section with a beginning, middle, and end and a continuing story that drives the plot forward. I'd love to be able to play as Batman at night and Bruce in the day occasionally. Have the game take place over a few months. When the Court attacks, that you can make a one-night event at the climax of the game.

Thoughts on characters: Hush goes after Bruce when he gets wind that the Court is also making moves against him. He's the villain of the first part of the game and he wants his vengeance on Bruce Wayne. I like the idea of him continuing to skin people's faces to steal their identities. Hush can be the villain that gets Bruce's head back in the game. And then, from there, awesome shit happens.

redhood_18d8usy.jpg

After the Joker killed Jason Todd, he's brought back by the Court of Owls, brain-washed, and given the mask, and becomes their enforcer in Gotham. But he's still devious and clever and has his own plans and machinations.

Plus, we could do the labyrinth that the Court of Owls use to try and break Bruce:

batman-51.jpg

The Talons would just be super-dangerous mooks, honestly. I dunno, there's more stuff we can think up.

GafferGamgee

Neo Member
Not sure about that review either...

This comment of "its not set in Arkham Asylum and it doesnt tell Batmans Origins"

I think its pretty clear from what we have seen so far that this game tells the story of when Batman went from fighting Mob bosses and really became introduced to the psychopathic super villains he would later begin to fight on the regular...

Hence the Origins title...

With the exception of Black Mask I cant think of somebody who would be put in the Asylum over Blackgate until he starts taking down the likes of Joker, Croc, Bane etc...

Thats been my take on it anyway.

I wanna see this kinda marketing and art style for the next Batman game. Screw those Unreal 3 models, let's go all artsy fartsy here:

joc6.jpg

joc3.jpg

joc4.jpg

joc2.jpg

Rocksteady's next game should have dusk and dawn moments too. They have a really cool moody art style, but I wanna see it evolve more.

I'm down with anything. 1950s Batman, Dark Knight Returns Batman, Darwyn Cooke lookin' Batman

as long as Hush isn't there.

Hush has the worst motivations for being a supervillain ever. It's hilarious just how petty they are.

The Arkham version of Hush should be given different motivations. Make him more twisted and depraved. Give him different reasons for wanting to steal Wayne's identity. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIET, they didn't let Strange try to usurp the throne of the Batman, have Thomas Elliot do it!

Rocksteady, looking back on it, I DEMAND DICK GRAYSON AND DAMIEN WAYNE AS BATMAN AND ROBIN.

Honestly, just fucking let Bruce retire. Do something new, unusual, awesome! If you wanna do co-op, I'm cool with that, and I hate co-op, but I love Grayson/Damien team up so much, I'd be cool with it.

It'd bring a sort of levity among the darkness, cause Bruce is so fucking dour. I mean, I know he's Batman, it's his thing, but it's just... hilarious at this point.

I gotta be careful. I don't want to come across as too agreeable or likable.

My God, the hit your reputation would take.

Some Nobody

The next-gen Rocksteady Arkham game should be like DC's Battle for the Cowl. I always felt the story for that was rubbish but the idea of everyone in Gotham, both hero and villain, having it out was genius for something that needs minimal story like a video game. Bruce doesn't even have to be dead, just have a flimsy excuse that leaves Gotham City in danger from a metric ton of villains.

- Heroes to include: Batman (obviously), Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl (Cassandra), Batwoman, Huntress.
- Keep the Batcave.
- Keep the Batplane, but add the Batmobile and the Redwing so you can drive around the city.

Basically the Batman: Gotham City game I wanted when Arkham Asylum was first announced.

Does anyone know if it'll be $50 on the WiiU eshop?

I'm on the fence but if I can squeeze out a little from the Deluxe Digital promo why not

Tokubetsu

I think the "single night" story device could still work. They have just never gone the whole way with it. Pressure needs to be applied, stakes need to actually feel like they're being raised. Some kind of dynamic enemy system where, regardless of what point you are in the story, getting tougher/harder the longer you take to do objectives/complete the game.

The other route to go is something like NotTheGuyYouKill was saying. Give us Batman the detective. give us a scenario that takes place over a week. A prologue showing our villains movie pieces together for Batman Hell Week #141947194, then we get hell week then maybe an epilogue where we see teasers for the next game's villains and maybe the fate of our current ones.

Newlove

I was really impressed by the recent playthrough video. Sure it looks similar to Arkham City, but the graphics look more impressive, that snow, suit...it felt more dark and fluid. And the soundtrack samples were brilliant. I loved the MP beta, I'm just not sure whether to invest when next-gen is so near. Could just trade a bunch of games in for a discount.

lordkosc

After skimming over the 2 hour PS3 video that was posted above, I gotta say the city looks amazing. I am gonna guess it takes a good 10 minutes to cross the whole map.

North Gotham where Arkham City took place, really looks amazing now that its not flooded, doesn't have the Riddlers pressure plates everywhere and is rebuilt.

Bat hype at maximum. PC version with Nvidia tech should make this game look even more amazing.

Slixshot

Banned
After skimming over the 2 hour PS3 video that was posted above, I gotta say the city looks amazing. I am gonna guess it takes a good 10 minutes to cross the whole map.

North Gotham where Arkham City took place, really looks amazing now that its not flooded, and rebuilt.

Bat hype at maximum. PC version with Nvidia tech should make this game look even more amazing.

Going to be playing the multiplayer on PC??

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
just read that the review embargo isn't up until release day...ruh-roh

yup, NOT a good sign.

i'm skipping this anyways, it just screams cash-in to me and every video I've seen has just re-inforced that notion. I'm happy with just AA and AC

just read that the review embargo isn't up until release day...ruh-roh

Yeah. It's worrying. Which is really weird... how could they have gone wrong?

The story set up is simple, but ingenious. The engine, the free flow combat, the systems, everything is already in place. So what's the deal? Also, very little marketing.

I just got the chance to play a little bit of it (probably 45 mins). Nothing to really judge from having such a short time playing, BUT the combat seemed a little sluggish compared to Batman AC. It's hard to explain till you actually play it, but they seemed to close some of the windows of opportunity for counters after performing certain moves.

I just played Arkham City yesterday and really felt the difference.

Rocksteady/WB should fire their other writers and hire me and Ephemeris.

1588661-detectivecomics_871.jpeg

Rather than going straight out with Justice League, I'd love it if Rocksteady just expanded the city of Gotham into a full-on city, and then took on Snyder's approach that Gotham is a city that generates pure nightmare for its inhabitants. It is a reflection of that which has caused you the most fear and pain and suffering. That approach would work perfectly after all the shit Bruce has gone through. Thematically, it can tie into Hush as an antagonist of Batman, Azrael as a failed successor, The Red Hood as his son, so Bruce see his own failures as a father reflected, and The Court of Owls as his surrogate parents.

Fucking thematic narrative arcs everywhere up in this bitch.

Also: No more single night events. It borders on the hilarious that it's perpetually night and that all this shit happens in one single night. Rather, structure the game like a mini-series or series, with each side-quest as an episode and a long over-arching narrative that ties into the side-quests that ebbs and flows. The narrative in AA and AC begins to suffer as we get closer to the end and there's no room for it to breathe. Structure it like a series, each section with a beginning, middle, and end and a continuing story that drives the plot forward. I'd love to be able to play as Batman at night and Bruce in the day occasionally. Have the game take place over a few months. When the Court attacks, that you can make a one-night event at the climax of the game.

Thoughts on characters: Hush goes after Bruce when he gets wind that the Court is also making moves against him. He's the villain of the first part of the game and he wants his vengeance on Bruce Wayne. I like the idea of him continuing to skin people's faces to steal their identities. Hush can be the villain that gets Bruce's head back in the game. And then, from there, awesome shit happens.

redhood_18d8usy.jpg

After the Joker killed Jason Todd, he's brought back by the Court of Owls, brain-washed, and given the mask, and becomes their enforcer in Gotham. But he's still devious and clever and has his own plans and machinations.

Plus, we could do the labyrinth that the Court of Owls use to try and break Bruce:

batman-51.jpg

The Talons would just be super-dangerous mooks, honestly. I dunno, there's more stuff we can think up.

I like your style. I'll like it even more if I can play as an Owl (Strix would be nice) and Jason.

Slixshot

Banned
yup, NOT a good sign.

i'm skipping this anyways, it just screams cash-in to me and every video I've seen has just re-inforced that notion. I'm happy with just AA and AC

Idk, it's been two years since Arkham City. I'm ready for something new, even if it's not by Rocksteady. If you listen to Eric Holmes (head dev) talk about Batman and this game, it appears like there's a lot of passion going into it. Whether their passion will translate into a great game is the question.

Luigi87

For me the best way to look at this is BioShock 2 to BioShock. Different dev team, as the main team went on to make their own sequel (<3 Infinite), but still turned out a really nice product.
Here is hoping this too is a really nice product.

I like your style.

I wanna see a twisted Tommy Elliot like this:

Hannibal-Round-2-400x267.jpg

He wears other people's faces as masks. So much potential for creepiness there, rather than the contrived reason that he just wanted his parents money and got mad at Bruce's family cause they were nice to him, so he steals Bruce's face.

God.

Looks, if you're slicing off your face, killing people to take their facial bits, and stitching a new face, let's go full out bananas. Oh man. Let's do that face stitching bit from Snyder's 'Death of a Family' with Elliot instead of Joker. Use bits of it, not the entire thing, but there's potential there.

I wanna see a twisted Tommy Elliot like this:

Hannibal-Round-2-400x267.jpg

He wears other people's faces as masks. So much potential for creepiness there, rather than the contrived reason that he just wanted his parents money and got mad at Bruce's family cause they were nice to him, so he steals Bruce's face.

God.

Looks, if you're slicing off your face, killing people to take their facial bits, and stitching a new face, let's go full out bananas.

Does your interpretation of a new Rocksteady Batman game also involve a leaner Batman? I've kinda gotten over muscle neck Batman.

Eusis

For me the best way to look at this is BioShock 2 to BioShock. Different dev team, as the main team went on to make their own sequel (<3 Infinite), but still turned out a really nice product.
Here is hoping this too is a really nice product.
Hope this ends up like BS2 in that regard then because I actually liked it more than Bioshock Infinite.

Top Bottom