• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

JHall

VKaWX.gif

Too many spoilers. I don't want to accidentally click on one. I'm out.

I'll be waiting a while before I buy this but one thing that impresses me is the voice actors for Batman and Joker. They do a decent impersonation of their predecessors that doesn't distract you. They could easily have done something horrible like the recent Splinter Cell game but thankfully they didn't.

Not to go off topic, but past the new voice is a really solid game. I really enjoyed Blacklist.

zainetor

Banned
Yeah, I red the spoiler and it makes sense
since black mask gets killed almost at the beginning, by some misteryous killer, still bullshit tough.

Psykoboy2

I wrote this yesterday for In-Game Chat:
That said, they’ve really been showing off what their cards and tech can do in the next Batman game releasing on Friday – Arkham Origins. The game hasn’t really snuck up on me, but my anticipation for it has. Just a week or so ago I knew it was coming out, but I was very…meh on the issue. Not disappointed or thinking it wasn’t going to live up to the previous games, but just, well…neither here nor there on it. However, since replaying Arkham City over the weekend I’ve gotten more and more excited for Origin’s release. I’ve been reading forums and subreddits, watching videos (even the most recent walkthrough done by someone who got their hands on an early copy), and I’m even listening to the soundtrack sample as I write this. It’s rare I get this enthusiastic for the release of a game to drown myself in its media and hype, but here I am…wallowing in it, soaking it all up.

I’m not even really worried about the reviews. I’ve only played a bit of the game at PAX and it really plays EXACTLY like Arkham City. Yeah sure, it isn’t Rocksteady making the game, but the guys at WB Montreal seemed to have done a fantastic job mimicking their every move. I find that to be good and bad, in a way. This is good because it means they don’t stray too far from a formula that works and bad in the sense that they aren’t really carving a place for themselves. I mean, the sections of Gotham that were in Arkham City look very familiar, as they should, and it means the team had more time to work on other aspects of the game. Having it set yet again in the winter means most of the areas affected by the weather could go unchanged (that pool on the high-rise is still frozen over). Setting it on Christmas Eve and added the element of a terrible blizzard and that keeps them from making Gotham as busy as a city like it would be on the streets – keep in the tone of a locked away prison playground as it was used in the game before. And maybe they don’t have to stand out for themselves. Maybe coming away with a win on a Batman game means they’ve shown they can make things work and build the confidence to work on their own stuff and not be held to a standard of another studio. Maybe. We’ll see when the game releases on Friday.

Yeah, I red the spoiler and it makes sense
since black mask gets killed almost at the beginning, by some misteryous killer, still bullshit tough.

What do you mean? Roman Sionis is alive at the end of Arkham City, the challenge maps with Robin take place after the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
What's wrong with Hans Zimmer?

Nothing at all, given the right place and time. It's just that the previous Arkham games relied heavily on orchestral, somewhat subdued and subtle but very menacing scores whereas the Origins soundtrack [from a first listen] is a full-on assault with its panicky drums, horns and strings.

Derrick01

Banned
I couldn't decide if I wanted to play through AC again before this game came out so I settled on just playing Harley's DLC since I hadn't tried it before. It's...not very good so far. Feels like AC but stripped of everything that made the game good except the combat.

geomon

Nothing at all, given the right place and time. It's just that the previous Arkham games relied heavily on orchestral, somewhat subdued and subtle but very menacing scores whereas the Origins soundtrack [from a first listen] is a full-on assault with its panicky drums, horns and strings.

I see. I haven't heard the score yet but I really liked the previous two.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to play through AC again before this game came out so I settled on just playing Harley's DLC since I hadn't tried it before. It's...not very good so far. Feels like AC but stripped of everything that made the game good except the combat.

Haha, yea, it's not great. Pretty limited in scope, story, Robin just isn't that compelling an addition and feels really overpowered. I just replayed the whole of AC and the DLC, better to stick with the main game.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's shit and it will only taint your opinion of AC. I'm not entirely sure what they were thinking with this DLC.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure he means AssCreed, AC's story wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. AssCreed's was and has been horrid, at least as far as the overarching plot between games goes (the "future" parts).

City's story was horrendous, so bad that it stopped me wanting to play the game a second time. Confused, convoluted drivel. So many characters appeared just to tick a box, Two-Face, Bane and even Catwoman were all terribly used and the final act was just dumb. Did anybody like what they did with Strange and Ra's?

zainetor

Banned
What do you mean? Roman Sionis is alive at the end of Arkham City, the challenge maps with Robin take place after the game.

Actually I was thinking about it, and yes BM should be alive in city.
but 1 hour in the game circa and you stumble in a crime scene, with dead mask's body in it. Batman smells bullshit, because he already saw blackmask earlier that night, and the body has been there for a few days, if I recall correctly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Harley's is pretty bad. I was really let down because it delivered on basically nothing. The open world is stripped back to nothingness, and all linearity is ruined by the lack of puzzles or really exploring the character's unique traits. Even the brief detour with Robin, his abilities are introduced and used for one puzzle in all its simplicity, then discarded. It doesn't move the plot or lore forward, and instead serves as a side-quest like epilogue to the City's main storyline.

It's basically "more Arkham City" with "less Arkham City" and no plot of value.

I'm playing it for the first time too. Pretty meh.

Do not expect much more. It's a letdown. Seems like Rocksteady threw it together like they were under a contract for single player DLC and just wanted to move onto their next project.

ahhh fuuuuck. LAst time I was in here, people were just spoilering plot points about arkham city. Came in at the top of the page there and caught a major one about the new game. IN the OT before release guys? Ah well.

Harley's is pretty bad. I was really let down because it delivered on basically nothing. The open world is stripped back to nothingness, and all linearity is ruined by the lack of puzzles or really exploring the character's unique traits. Even the brief detour with Robin, his abilities are introduced and used for one puzzle in all its simplicity, then discarded. It doesn't move the plot or lore forward, and instead serves as a side-quest like epilogue to the City's main storyline.

It's basically "more Arkham City" with "less Arkham City" and no plot of value.

Definitely. It would practically have been more valuable to put Robin in there as a playable character in the story mode, even without updating the story or dialogue to reflect the addition, than the Harley's revenge dlc.

Slixshot

Banned
ahhh fuuuuck. LAst time I was in here, people were just spoilering plot points about arkham city. Came in at the top of the page there and caught a major one about the new game. IN the OT before release guys? Ah well.

Definitely. It would practically have been more valuable to put Robin in there as a playable character in the story mode, even without updating the story or dialogue to reflect the addition, than the Harley's revenge dlc.

From what I've seen, everything that needs to be in spoiler tags is. If ya click on them, that's yo problem, broski

I loved Danny's score but this cant be touched......ending to the best batman movie ever... spoilers..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G1TgseTPH0

Yes. Awesome ending that was ruined by the next movie.

"So will hunt him, because he can take it."

Ahhhh, apparently not since he just throws in the towel and quits that night. lol. If you blast the volume when he is riding away on the batpod, underneath that massive musical score, you can actually hear him crying...

From what I've seen, everything that needs to be in spoiler tags is. If ya click on them, that's yo problem, broski

Like I said, when I was last in the thread, the tags had been about City, so I guessed it was fine, and was wondering what peeps had to say. As you can see, I didn't pick out names, just expressed my dismay, so leave off with the broski thing, I didn't make it uot to be bigger than it is.

Dick as Batman with Damian as Robin!

They will never commit far in enough to do that, but I would love it so. Re-reading The Black Mirror right now actually, and it'd be pretty awesome.

Slixshot

Banned
Like I said, when I was last in the thread, the tags had been about City, so I guessed it was fine, and was wondering what peeps had to say. As you can see, I didn't pick out names, just expressed my dismay, so leave off with the broski thing, I didn't make it uot to be bigger than it is.

lol meant no offense. That's just how I speak, bro :) Shame you got spoiled. If you're looking forward to this game as much as I am, I'd be really upset right now. Hopefully it wasn't too bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I had this discussion awhile back, but based on the pre-launch hype from Rocksteady and the side quest structure of Arkham City, I got the impression that a lot more DLC was planned. I seem to recall Rocksteady having much bigger plans for story content that ultimately never panned out, Harley being the only one we got and long after the curtain had fallen. A few of the side quests seemed to end on deliberately vague and open cliff hangers that would have been explored in villain-specific mission packs integrated into the open world.

neoism

Yes. Awesome ending that was ruined by the next movie.

"So will hunt him, because he can take it."

Ahhhh, apparently not since he just throws in the towel and quits that night. lol. If you blast the volume when he is riding away on the batpod, underneath that massive musical score, you can actually hear him crying...

lol

I had this discussion awhile back, but based on the pre-launch hype from Rocksteady and the side quest structure of Arkham City, I got the impression that a lot more DLC was planned. I seem to recall Rocksteady having much bigger plans for story content that ultimately never panned out, Harley being the only one we got and long after the curtain had fallen. A few of the side quests seemed to end on deliberately vague and open cliff hangers that would have been explored in villain-specific mission packs integrated into the open world.

I had no idea, that's interesting. That definitely makes sense with
Hush and even Azrael
. It's just one of those things I guess, but I probably would have assumed Rocksteady would have achieved Minerva's Den hallowed grounds with story DLC. They could come back to that stuff in another game I guess, but wasn't it rumoured their own batman game was going to be a prequel too?

Top Bottom