• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

bryanee

Do you think hacking the first console is the problem with Burnely tower, The one that brings the bars down? I didn't bother with it and just went through the vent straight away with no issues.

SJRB

Gold Member
The
Copperhead
fight was fucking terrible, wow. I quit playing immediately after, the more I play the more I'm starting to dislike this game. But that fight made me realise why I was struggling with the fighting mechanic this entire time.

Batman has a lot of animations he can't quit out of. And he goes into a slow-motion during punches and counters. However, enemies don't go into this slow-mo AND they don't pause when Batman is in an attack frame. So what happens is you are in a combat flow, press punch, Batman does his "move to target and punch" animation but at the same time another enemy punches Batman and there is fucking nothing you can do about it.
Enemies need a "pause" moment when Batman is in these unstoppable attack animation frames, because this is just straight up bullshit. The game is basically exploiting Batman's attack frames. There's also a lot of moments where Batman's attacks simply don't connect, resulting in you losing the flow and 9/10 times getting attacked and taking damae.

I also believe the knife dodge is fundamentally flawed. There is no way, NO WAY I keep screwing these up by my fault. I know for certain I press the buttons at the right moment, I never had any problem with them in Arkham City but I'm struggling with knife dodges every single time.

Location spoiler:
Going into the Sionis steel mill again, really? And the fucking crane-through-wall "puzzle" from Harley's Revenge? Shit.

Batman has a lot of animations he can't quit out of. And he goes into a slow-motion during punches and counters. However, enemies don't go into this slow-mo AND they don't pause when Batman is in an attack frame. So what happens is you are in a combat flow, press punch, Batman does his "move to target and punch" animation but at the same time another enemy punches Batman and there is fucking nothing you can do about it.
Enemies need a "pause" moment when Batman is in these unstoppable attack animation frames, because this is just straight up bullshit. The game is basically exploiting Batman's attack frames.

The thing I've noticed is enemies are now faster, and Batman is still the same speed. In AA/AC, if an enemy was swinging, they had a wind-up time that meant if you reacted fast enough, you can smack them before they hit you. In Origins, 9/10 their attack will beat out yours, because the wind-up animations have been tuned up and you're still moving at AA/AC speed. This is also means you have less time to spare for ground pounds or cape stuns and all sorts of shit. People are always attacking you, they give off the ground faster, and combat is more defensive and reactive than AA/AC, where you were the aggressor taking it to the enemy.

Huh?

Neo Member
I'm up to the
Joker reveal
and I've been enjoying it, haven't been as annoyed by it as some of you guys. But I agree the free flow could use some tweaking, it hasn't been a total slog for me but it is pretty annoying that this game is the one that encourages you to not get hit the most with the grading system and the Dark Knight challenges, but makes it very tough not to mess up at some point in an encounter. I have to wonder if I'll be able to complete the challenges like this, this game is really shaking my confidence in my Dark Knight skills.

kodecraft

The
Copperhead
fight was fucking terrible, wow. I quit playing immediately after, the more I play the more I'm starting to dislike this game. But that fight made me realise why I was struggling with the fighting mechanic this entire time.

Enemies need a "pause" moment when Batman is in these unstoppable attack animation frames, because this is just straight up bullshit. The game is basically exploiting Batman's attack frames. There's also a lot of moments where Batman's attacks simply don't connect, resulting in you losing the flow and 9/10 times getting attacked and taking damae.

I also believe the knife dodge is fundamentally flawed. There is no way, NO WAY I keep screwing these up by my fault. I know for certain I press the buttons at the right moment, I never had any problem with them in Arkham City but I'm struggling with knife dodges every single time.

Location spoiler:
Going into the Sionis steel mill again, really? And the fucking crane-through-wall "puzzle" from Harley's Revenge? Shit.

I enjoy this game and enjoyed the
Copperhead
fight with
her sexy ass

But the game is flawed and lacks final polish.

SJRB

Gold Member
The thing I've noticed is enemies are now faster, and Batman is still the same speed. In AA/AC, if an enemy was swinging, they had a wind-up time that meant if you reacted fast enough, you can smack them before they hit you. In Origins, 9/10 their attack will beat out yours, because the wind-up animations have been tuned up and you're still moving at AA/AC speed. This is also means you have less time to spare for ground pounds or cape stuns and all sorts of shit. People are always attacking you, they give off the ground faster, and combat is more defensive and reactive than AA/AC, where you were the aggressor taking it to the enemy.

How could WB fuck this up so bad? Rocksteady nailed the combat system to perfection, all they had to do was add in some new animations and some new enemy types and call it quits as far as fighting was concerned.

i'm liking the game so far. only about 2 or 3 hours in. one weird thing is the game was running perfectly smooth for me until the
deathstroke
fight. my fps dropped quite a bit for some reason.... then after the fight it went back to normal. didn't have this issue with the
killer croc or electrocutioner fight or any thing else.

i'll wait to finish it but it's about on par with the other two games

Lima

That is why I'm enjoying it so much. It is actually challenging now. AA and AC were too easy on hard and new game plus.

They took the fun from the fights and cranked it up to eleven. I don't wanna do any of the story missions, just fight some goons and level up.

How could WB fuck this up so bad? Rocksteady nailed the combat system to perfection, all they had to do was add in some new animations and some new enemy types and call it quits as far as fighting was concerned.

Like I said earlier, I think its intentional. Younger batman, so he's not as powerful, not as dominating. Enemies are faster than you, smaller arenas, annoying enemy combinations, all to make it a bigger challenge.

I kinda respect that in a weird way, but like the changes Ascension made to the God of War combat formula, it just made me feel weaker and by the end of the game I was just sick of fighting people.

I'm starting to think this was intentional, like "this is younger Batman, so his attacks should be slower, sound weaker, enemies should be faster, he's always at a disadvantage" etc. In City, when I saw a big group it was like "Fuck yeah!", you were the aggressor, it was fast, fluid, and fun.
That might explain how it feels like a step back compared to AC, the younger batman thing. It might be but some combat issues I've faced, particularly terrible homing, reminded me of marginal annoyances I had with AA, that were removed with AC. This is pure impression but the fights in AC felt quicker, more fluid while in AA they had some weight to them. It's like they took the step from AA to AC back the other way. Which is a shame because it was pretty empowering in AC (well, that and the Tyger helicopter dude commenting on the fight). It seems to be part design and part underthought balancing. As you pointed out in the other post, the new enemy types, the increased agressivity and the environments make it glaring.

Also yeah, in a few minutes I went from "fuck yeah, Slade Wilson" to "ugh, David Cage does Deathstroke". The character being a blatant Robin reskin in challenges adds insult to injury.

The function's there, but I haven't found a use for it. And I've finished the story.
I guess it's only there to tag collectibles on the map.

I'm a bit unclear on how long before AA this is.

I really thought the ending would be the beginning of AA.
Isn't it supposed to be 5 years, a la New 52?

Anyone feel like the graphics and performance on console are worse than city?
Playing on PS3, played the first 2 on 360 and the performance was never that awful. I doubt the PS3 versions played that badly because that would have been Bayonetta territory. A lot of issues seem to come from streaming and I don't think my drive is faulty.
Beyond some awful framerate drops I have audio issues when transitioning into cutscenes when normal dialogue was already being played. Both voice tracks tend to play and it's pretty shit.

Dr Dogg

If a group enemy's are far apart you can still work the triangular/circular bounce between them and come away from most fights unscathed (well apart from the times it hasn't registered you pushed in the direction of the next guy and you just swipe the air) but you get just 2 guys next to each other, let alone 5 or more and you can get pummeled. There is no limit on how many enemy's will attack you at once and no pause between each enemy's strike so you can get ping ponged about if you don't break engagement. If you get 5 or more guys bunched together good luck keeping a combo unless you're quick on the gadgets.

It does add a different dynamic but sometimes it's a lottery. That and punching guys in and through walls has happened to me far too many times with uneven geometry.

The
Copperhead

Batman has a lot of animations he can't quit out of.

It's always been that way, the attacks he can be interrupted in are the same as in AC. The only difference is that the enemies are more aggressive in general now and you have to adapt keeping that in mind. Things like the takedown have you being invincible (except against bosses I believe who can interrupt the same way that Titan thugs could in the first two), but doing a ground pound has always been a dumb idea when there are lots of thugs around. The most efficient way to kill enemies quickly is to use the multi-ground takedown (A+B if you're using a 360 pad) after knocking a bunch of guys on their asses. Make sure you're using the dodge (double tap A on 360 pad) to get around and dodge enemy blows. Don't just rely on counter, it will ruin your rythm when there's lots of enemies who won't let up - you need breathing room.

Unless your copy is broken or the platform you're playing it on is, no. I'm on PC for all three games and the blade dodge is identical to AC. Zero change. You have to unlock the blade dodge takedown just like you had to in AC, so if you've been trying to do the blade dodge takedown without it then bang yourself on the head. Hold counter button to dodge, let go and press again between their swings to perform the counter.

bryanee

What the hell is Penguins Black Market? It keeps saying I've got stuff available but I cant find anything on it.

Is it multiplayer related?

Anyone know if WB Montreal has confirmed another patch in development? Kind of wary to start a new game after my last save froze and corrupted at 90% completion

I'm up to Deathstroke so far and first impressions I'm pretty split on this game. On the one hand, I love the new style of characters and how they're a bit more grounded and gritty. The AA/AC felt like it was wrestling between a cartoony style of villainy with a dark atmosphere which never quite hit the mark. Characters like Bane and Croc look way more awesome for example, and the voice acting is a little better too.

but there is, ultimately the feeling this game is just a soulless rehash. When you start AC, you're paraded through prisoner checkpoints til the city opens up before you. Theres people shouting around you, choppers in the sky its quite intense. Here, you're dropped in a snowy courtyard and asked to proceed. Theres no pomp and circumstance to the fact you're starting an adventure its kinda like 'you're here now, make it to there'.

Playing on PS3, the city looks really unimpressive to me. Most of it looks muddy and muted, a lot of ledges are inaccessible with no given reason and its just bullshit how some bad weather has conveniently excused every civilian whilst the remaining npcs will be antagonistic to you. I get the 50mil thing but come on.

I really hope it improves.

-The combat is clearly worse than AC. From the pacing of the encounters, the enemy types, the arenas, the hyper-aggressive AI, the timing of the counters and increased wind-up time on attacks like the ground pounce, Batman's homing ability(several times he'll just punch the air and screw up a combo), its just frustrating. I see another group of enemies, and its like "fuck, not again". This is further exacerbated by this shitty skill tree system, which locks the things you want behind upgrades I wish I could avoid. Prior Arkham games let me upgrade the Batman that I wanted, now its more restricted. Furthermore, they lock some important upgrades behind optional side quests, like the damn critical strikes I can't get until 1/3rd through the game.

I agree with you here on a couple of points. The super aggresive AI, and the amount of times Batman locks into an attack animation as soon as some one runs up wanting you to do a counter but you can't is REALLY annoying. The Ninja's are more annoying cause they're attacks can cover a good distance and easily come from off screen and hit you.

I'd also agree on the upgrades, I don't like some being locked behind ohh get a grade b, level 3 dark knight avenger something to unlock this. Super annoying also.

Though I can live with these.
This on the other hand,

-Traversal kinda stinks, too. Its simply far less satisfying to move around the world, due to the restrictive, arbitrary grapple points. Perfectly horizontal ledges and rooftops, you simply just can't get on top or use to boost you around, which is a big downgrade from the freedom City gave you. The world is also twice as big for the sake of being big, and unless you unlocked all those fast travel points(oh wait, you CAN'T because one of them is glitched lolol), its just a hassle to get around in this game.

is driving me fucking insane. It's so weird because so much of it seems arbitrary. Like water towers right next to each other, one is grapple able the other NOPE not a grapple point. WTF! One of the things I loved about AC was that you could literally grapple boost, and glide from any point on the map to any other. There were maybe one or two points you had to go around. I feel so far, that doing that across Gotham here just is NOT possible at all. Which is annoying the hell out of me.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, but those 3 issues really should have been addressed before the game released.

Huh?

Neo Member
I agree with you here on a couple of points. The super aggresive AI, and the amount of times Batman locks into an attack animation as soon as some one runs up wanting you to do a counter but you can't is REALLY annoying. The Ninja's are more annoying cause they're attacks can cover a good distance and easily come from off screen and hit you.

I'd also agree on the upgrades, I don't like some being locked behind ohh get a grade b, level 3 dark knight avenger something to unlock this. Super annoying also.

Though I can live with these.
This on the other hand,

is driving me fucking insane. It's so weird because so much of it seems arbitrary. Like water towers right next to each other, one is grapple able the other NOPE not a grapple point. WTF! One of the things I loved about AC was that you could literally grapple boost, and glide from any point on the map to any other. There were maybe one or two points you had to go around. I feel so far, that doing that across Gotham here just is NOT possible at all. Which is annoying the hell out of me.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, but those 3 issues really should have been addressed before the game released.

I don't mind the upgrade thing so much, but the other two are definitely my main issues with it besides some frame rate hiccups. It's especially annoying how several of the *minor side mission spoiler*
Engima data packs
are only challenging to get because of that arbitrary grapple thing.

the must infuriating feeling ever about this game is, hey there are some collectibles hidden behind gassy pipes again.

And its retarded that every thing leads to some arbritary 'destory X amount of something' 'side mission' filler.

I don't give a fuck. Please don't tell me one of the assassin's is gated behind doing mmo quests.

Playing on PS3, the city looks really unimpressive to me. Most of it looks muddy and muted, a lot of ledges are inaccessible with no given reason and its just bullshit how some bad weather has conveniently excused every civilian whilst the remaining npcs will be antagonistic to you. I get the 50mil thing but come on.

I really hope it improves.

I've read this critique a lot. I'm a bit further along than you are, and can't remember hearing it before, but at the moment in my current game I'm hearing a lot of announcements over the speakers dotted around the city about a mandatory curfew, plus I'm sure in Gotham PD Gordon mentioned something about keeping people off the streets till Batman's in custody before the assassins kill innocent citizens to get BM's attention.

Also, I've not had the tower glitch either, and am playing on 360, if anyone's interested.

Batman, I know you hate crooked cops but jeez...

iLFx4MLC8jgUO.gif

hmmm have no issues with
copperhead or slade

is the framerate bad on consoles for those boss fights or anything? Could pull off counters with no issues for me.

zychi

Banned
So downloading this game on Steam has basically destroyed any gaming I can do on my PC. I'm going to have to resort to a fresh install of Windows now.

My 360 controller wont work, so I figured it was a motionjoy issue, got rid of it all. Google then told me it could be a few different programs messing with it, causing a BSOD everytime I plugged in my controller. Deleted all of them. Now I can't even play BF3 with a m/kb without getting a BSOD.

I've never had such a buggy piece of shit game like this.

I don't mind the upgrade thing so much, but the other two are definitely my main issues with it besides some frame rate hiccups. It's especially annoying how several of the *minor side mission spoiler*
Engima data packs
are only challenging to get because of that arbitrary grapple thing.

That plus getting across the map for the
Anarky bombs
is made way more annoying. Doing the Zsaz stuff from AC wasn't bad if you had the grapple boost. Doing these is just a pain in the ass with so few grapple points.

the must infuriating feeling ever about this game is, hey there are some collectibles hidden behind gassy pipes again.

And its retarded that every thing leads to some arbritary 'destory X amount of something' 'side mission' filler.

I don't give a fuck. Please don't tell me one of the assassin's is gated behind doing mmo quests.

I've hated the gassy pipes thing since AA. Batman can do all this amazing shit, his suit can withstand bullets, and so much punishment. Some steam will fuck him up though and stop him dead in his tracks.......

Sojgat

hmmm have no issues with
copperhead or slade

is the framerate bad on consoles for those boss fights or anything? Could pull off counters with no issues for me.

Played on 360 and had no problems with either of them. I had hints on and I think that helped a lot. Got the achievement for not missing any counters fighting Deathstroke on the first try.

AwRy108

I also believe the knife dodge is fundamentally flawed. There is no way, NO WAY I keep screwing these up by my fault. I know for certain I press the buttons at the right moment, I never had any problem with them in Arkham City but I'm struggling with knife dodges

Sounds like a similar situation to God of War Ascension .

neoism

-_- WTF goddamn crashes...... has anyone else gotten a crash right in the elevator
with the women that is dead that looks like the joker its when bat is poisoned by copperhead
... it crashes right as the elevator comes up.. :(

GolazoDan

Holy shit, I've just done the
first Bane
boss battle
(in the hotel)
and the bit that comes right after that is FUCKING AMAZING. The story in this game is brilliant.

I've taken so many screenshots of this game. Dat snow.

i'm liking the game so far. only about 2 or 3 hours in. one weird thing is the game was running perfectly smooth for me until the
deathstroke
fight. my fps dropped quite a bit for some reason.... then after the fight it went back to normal. didn't have this issue with the
killer croc or electrocutioner fight or any thing else.

i'll wait to finish it but it's about on par with the other two games

Console or pc? That is the only part the fps will get low at if phsyx is enabled on pc.

neoism

FUCKING great now it crashes as I load my save..... :( MOTHERFUCKER.....!

6 hours in... -____________-

They need to patch this piece of shit game.... love how you can only delete your one save but cant copy it to a new slot....

so far MOST definitely the worst BATMAN game in the series....

:/

Effect

I wonder if WB will reduce the price for Arkham City on the eShop with Arkham Origins being released. It's still $59.99.

-_- WTF goddamn crashes...... has anyone else gotten a crash right in the elevator
with the women that is dead that looks like the joker its when bat is poisoned by copperhead
... it crashes right as the elevator comes up.. :(

I guess it will be a while until the next Batman game. But I want more now.

evangeline_lilly_neogaf_by_digi_matrix-d6rxv1n.jpg

Evangeline Lilly all over this game. Strafer, you must have gone through two avatars in a week of each other. Mid-avatar crisis?

neoism

FUCKING great now it crashes as I load my save..... :( MOTHERFUCKER.....!

6 hours in... -____________-

They need to patch this piece of shit game.... love how you can only delete your one save but cant copy it to a new slot....

so far MOST definitely the worst BATMAN game in the series....

:/
yep looks like I'm do until they fucking patch this bullshit.... WORST fucking save system ever... I noticed right as it crashed as the elevator had gone up it starting saving then it crashed...
So every-time I load my save it stops at the bat symbol on the right bottom corner with a black screen and then nothing else...:*****(
7 hours total.....

better yet not sure if this would work or not... but does anyone have a save at about 14% I was at the part where you are
poisoned by Copperhead and you are walking to the elevator my game crashes as the dead joker looking women finishes talking [/B
]and the door is about to open my game was saving then it crash... save fucked... :/

yep looks like I'm do until they fucking patch this bullshit.... WORST fucking save system ever... I noticed right as it crashed as the elevator had gone up it starting saving then it crashed...
So every-time I load my save it stops at the bat symbol on the right bottom corner with a black screen and then nothing else...:*****(
7 hours total.....

Sucks man. I've been gaming since 1992 this is the only game I can think of that made me lose my save. Though mine was due to a freeze while saving. I guess I've had pretty good luck for the most part but it still blows to lose a save to something fucking stupid like that.

Marc

Got some time to play this, man it seems tougher than the other games early on which is a great challenge. Just took on deathstroke, that guy is serious. Counters my counters, took me a few deaths to get to grips with him which is more than the toughest fight in other games (joker for me).

Had a lot of framerate drops and tearing though on my ps3, not as smooth.

Also I was really disappointed when I go into Gotham and there are no people!! I was looking forward to dive bombing civvies. Maybe that's only early on but seemed a cop out.

Great fun though, brilliant start anyway but damn... I really want a normal city and ability to drive the batmobile around.

zeox

have any of you had any problems with button presses not registering, specifically the counter button? For some reason it feels almost completely unresponsive when I'm fighting a large amount of dudes (for example, in a large "crime in progress" event). When i fight 4-8 guys the response feels completely normal. :(
This is the pc version

have any of you had any problems with button presses not registering, specifically the counter button? For some reason it feels almost completely unresponsive when I'm fighting a large amount of dudes (for example, in a large "crime in progress" event). When i fight 4-8 guys the response feels completely normal. :(
This is the pc version

no problem at all. Using 360 pad.

Top Bottom