• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

bryanee

Fuck that fucking Burnsley tower glitch wtf am I doing trying to tapdance my fucking way up the fucking pipe fuck this shit.

Try not hacking the first console that drops the bars on the window. Just go straight to the vent. That worked for me.

Rnr1224

I like the art style of this more than the other games. I was never a fan of Batman's long ears, so this batman looks a lot better to me. I also love playing as deathstroke in challenge mode.

Sober

Hmm, stuff like a lot of the Worst Nightmare ranks being locked to the story mode predator encounters kinda sucks the fun out of them because they have to be done in order. It'd be fine if they repopulated to rooms, but they don't. So if you miss any you have to retry in NG+ or something.

strafer

The damage is more awesome in AC.

acppjoa.jpg

ElRenoRaven

So finally beat the game. Still have to get more stuff but I have to say again I'm eating crow. Minus the tower bug for the one tower, the fast travel bug where it quits working unless your restart, and a crash here and there it runs good. The campaign I really liked too.

The biggest improvements for me though were the detective mode and the fast travel. Those two things really made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. I really hope Rocksteady takes the detective mode and uses it should they be making a next gen Batman game.

So the way I originally screwed up Burnsley tower was by hacking the first console while still outside the window. So the bars dropped and I had no way to get in there and up to the other one. After doing some other things I went back and it had reset. So I went in and did it the proper way and ran into no bug. Maybe try going back to the tower later.

Wii U version by the way here.

*edit*

I just wanted to add that I LOVE the new mechanic for solving crime scenes and recreating the crime. I've really enjoyed it the few times I've gotten to do it so far.

bryanee

So the way I originally screwed up Burnsley tower was by hacking the first console while still outside the window. So the bars dropped and I had no way to get in there and up to the other one. After doing some other things I went back and it had reset. So I went in and did it the proper way and ran into no bug. Maybe try going back to the tower later.

Just don't hack the first console. I didn't and it worked fine on the 360.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So finally beat the game. Still have to get more stuff but I have to say again I'm eating crow. Minus the tower bug for the one tower, the fast travel bug where it quits working unless your restart, and a crash here and there it runs good. The campaign I really liked too.

The biggest improvements for me though were the detective mode and the fast travel. Those two things really made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. I really hope Rocksteady takes the detective mode and uses it should they be making a next gen Batman game.

*edit*

I just wanted to add that I LOVE the new mechanic for solving crime scenes and recreating the crime. I've really enjoyed it the few times I've gotten to do it so far.

So happy I'm not the only one who loves the new detective mode. Reconstructing a crime just feels so awesome. I hope Rocksteady doesn't ditch it in the next installment.

gribbles

Banned
Anyone else having trouble getting Worst Nightmare Rank 4? I'm supposed to lure a guard using the Sonic Batarang and then take him down, but I've done it like 10 times now, and the challenge still won't complete.

Just finished PC version.

Man, what a story, leagues ahead of the other two games. Fun boss fights. Yeah it's still mostly the same gameplay as AC but its worth playing if you liked AC. I feel critics are underselling the game a little bit, but it is no GOTY contender. I'm at 22 hours, I didn't finish collectibles (I'd say I've finished maybe a 1/3rd of them), I have 3 more cases I have to find and solve, and one more most wanted case I haven't discovered yet. 3-4 of those hours were spent on multiplayer. Playthrough was on hard. Going to finish main file up and do ng+ soon.

Also post credits spoiler:

Are we looking at a rematch, a suicide squad dlc, or a deathstroke game? I'm going with dlc.

I actually didn't mind how they worked the joker in this one. Before the game came out I said I'd hate it if the joker was the main villian, but they wrote him much better than the other two games imo. Would be great if we could get him for challenge maps again.

I hope we get some really cool dlc.

I agree, the detective mode was great. The conversations with Alfred were great as well. I feel like this game did a way better job portraying the essence of batman than the other two games did story wise.

Sober

One thing I didn't get is why he has the grapnel accelerator in this game and in Arkham City it was a prototype.
If you really want you don't need to use it. I finished AC in NG+ without ever getting the grapnel boost.

Although here in AO you might not be able to make some sidequests without it.

Ahasverus

If you really want you don't need to use it. I finished AC in NG+ without ever getting the grapnel boost.

Although here in AO you might not be able to make some sidequests without it.

A.C
"But master Bruce, it's risky, it's just a prototype"

A.O
"A 100 meter cable that lets me freefalling at 300km/h? no problem!"

guek

Banned
Apparently it performs the best of the three. No multiplayer though of course.

I hesitate to believe this but here's to hoping :) I wonder if DF will do a face-off.

AC and AA were very enjoyable (though a bit overhyped imo). I really want to pick this up but that lack of multiplayer and full price tag on the Wii U version leaves me with a sour taste. Gaaaah

erawsd

So happy I'm not the only one who loves the new detective mode. Reconstructing a crime just feels so awesome. I hope Rocksteady doesn't ditch it in the next installment.

Yeah I like it as well. I wish there was a bit more critical thought involved vs just looking for the red triangles.

ElRenoRaven

i think they pretty much got stuck trying to figure out how to make up a reason for this and just let gameplay trumph story lol.

Yup. Sometimes you just have to say screw it and let the gameplay take priority. I've found that it's not really needed. So if someone doesn't want to use it I'm pretty sure they can.

Anyone else having trouble getting Worst Nightmare Rank 4? I'm supposed to lure a guard using the Sonic Batarang and then take him down, but I've done it like 10 times now, and the challenge still won't complete.
I haven't checked that one in particular yet, but my grapnel boost takedown and double slide kick one are totally broken and won't unlock.

Edit: K, well mine are fixed... I changed costume back to default and it worked again, but I don't think that was it. Probably weird fluke.

It's saved after the first console is hacked.

It didn't for me. Like I said I hacked the first console from outside the window, and the bars dropped and couldn't get in to reach the other one. I did some other stuff, and came back later and everything reset and I was able to complete the tower normally.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yup. Sometimes you just have to say screw it and let the gameplay take priority. I've found that it's not really needed. So if someone doesn't want to use it I'm pretty sure they can.

Yeah, in this instance, it's just a completely gameplay decision - the story doesn't even recognize it.

Anyway, one thing Rocksteady gets so much more right than WB Montreal is the grapple points. I never remember having trouble with grapple points in AC, but the lack of available ones in AO is pretty annoying, I gotta say.

Overall, so far I still really enjoy this game because it's just essentially more Arkham - albeit a less polished one. Rocksteady's next Arkham game (assuming it's going to be an Arkham game) is going to be the next step for the games, but this is just enough to satiate my Batman fix until then. Besides, I would much rather Rocksteady create an Arkham game for next-gen than create a "swan-song" of sorts for this gen so I am glad that this game exists to give Rocksteady time to perfect the next game.

I do have to wonder if WB intends to make the Arkham games similar to CoD - Rockstead makes the "main" ones while WB Montreal makes the "off-year" ones. I hope it doesn't go that way, but it seems real plausible right now.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The
Copperhead
fight was fucking terrible, wow. I quit playing immediately after, the more I play the more I'm starting to dislike this game. But that fight made me realise why I was struggling with the fighting mechanic this entire time.

Batman has a lot of animations he can't quit out of. And he goes into a slow-motion during punches and counters. However, enemies don't go into this slow-mo AND they don't pause when Batman is in an attack frame. So what happens is you are in a combat flow, press punch, Batman does his "move to target and punch" animation but at the same time another enemy punches Batman and there is fucking nothing you can do about it.
Enemies need a "pause" moment when Batman is in these unstoppable attack animation frames, because this is just straight up bullshit. The game is basically exploiting Batman's attack frames. There's also a lot of moments where Batman's attacks simply don't connect, resulting in you losing the flow and 9/10 times getting attacked and taking damae.

I also believe the knife dodge is fundamentally flawed. There is no way, NO WAY I keep screwing these up by my fault. I know for certain I press the buttons at the right moment, I never had any problem with them in Arkham City but I'm struggling with knife dodges every single time.

Location spoiler:
Going into the Sionis steel mill again, really? And the fucking crane-through-wall "puzzle" from Harley's Revenge? Shit.

You just fucking suck dude.

I hesitate to believe this but here's to hoping :) I wonder if DF will do a face-off.

AC and AA were very enjoyable (though a bit overhyped imo). I really want to pick this up but that lack of multiplayer and full price tag on the Wii U version leaves me with a sour taste. Gaaaah

It's not full price, it's $10 cheaper.

The game looks very nice indoors, but I just generally dislike how the city looks. All that whiteness in the sky...

Ahasverus

Man I've never played a game so broken. Every "sandbox" session results in a crash. 360 here. What a shame, this game would have escalated 2 points with 2 more months in the oven.

I'm absolutely stuck at the Deadstroke encounter. I just can't beat him. There's one particular attack he does that I cannot counter no matter how I time it. I've tried everything. So frustrating.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm absolutely stuck at the Deadstroke encounter. I just can't beat him. There's one particular attack he does that I cannot counter no matter how I time it. I've tried everything. So frustrating.

What attack?

Do you have counter indicators on? Someone said turning hints off disables them sometimes.
Yes, they're on. I guess I'll try using the grapple gun more.

What attack?
Just a simple swipe of his weapon. There's just one particular one, and it's nothing special, but every time he uses it, I get pummeled. That's why I'm going to use the grapple more, and hopefully take that attack away from him.

Xevren

If it's not a cinematic type attack be sure to hit the counter button multiple times. In the cinematic be sure to only hit the counter when it pops up except for the repeated ones, you can kinda go nuts on those.

L00P

Upgrade system is shit. Why did they have to ditch the system in City? That one was perfectly fine. And I got that tower glitch as well. Launch builds, man.

Maybe I should restart the game and play normal mode, because I just can't get my rhythm going in a fight. The window for chaining another move is too small and I get hit if I don't counter after countering another guy. I had to counter non-stop when fighting a dozen of em just to keep the combo going. So maybe playing in Normal mode might help me feel like I'm still playing Batman and not fuckin Counter-strike.

Timu

Certain counters need to be perfectly timed when facing him, so don't counter too early(or too late) and wait for the counter icon to appear and then counter and knock him down.

ShadyJ

This has been bloody awesome so far, im not having any issues.

Its on par with the other 3 games in my opinion

The Death stroke encounter took me about 3 tries, you have to beat him to the punch and when hes holding his staff grapple him towards you.

scoobs

Agreed the copperhead fight was pretty shit. Rest of the game (minus the tower glitch) is pretty fantastic. And the story is better than either of the first two games IMO. Really shocked at some of the review scores, a SIX!??! This game is good, no fucking way its a 6.

Top Bottom