• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Nemesis_

First time poster in here, but has anyone had problems with the game?

Playing on 360. The game loads, there's a blue bat symbol, then it disappears, and now it's frozen on a black screen.

Am I doing something wrong?

PaulloDEC

Combos run out if you pause for too long between blows, if you receive a hit of any kind (including bullets), or if you try to do a move that fails in some way. For example, if there are no enemies behind you, but you push the stick behind you and try to do a stun or punch, the combo will end. In order to keep things flowing smoothly, it's a good idea to jump around in different directions constantly. So after you knock a guy down in the middle of a combo, instead of punching the guy next to him, try going after the guy that is a few steps away in a different directions, or even the guy who is on the other side of the arena.

Trying to maintain a combo throughout a whole fight can be challenging, but you'll get a feel for it in challenge maps.

Gotcha. I knew that you couldn't pause for too long or take any hits, but I didn't realise that a single missed punch would set the counter back to zero. I tend to be a button-masher in games like this, so I'll have to put some effort into resisting that urge.

For everyone a little upset about how quick the combat is... have you tried just playing it on normal? It's a lot closer to the old school AC combat pace.

I''m not upset, nor am I having difficulties, but I can't get on-board with that notion, there is definitely a major change in how the enemies pick their moments, and your window of opportunity in return, even on normal. I do like this, and I appreciate that narratively it might work ,and just being more challenging can be more fun in terms of game mechanics testing you but like I said. Arkham City on hard manages to be hard, challenging and clever, without being frustrating. This manages to be hard, challenging, clever but annoying at times, even on normal.

I think the game is absolutely amazing, but credit where credit's due, rocksteady have WB Montreal beat on combat, now I've had time to ruminate on it.

You would adapt, I'm sure. There are much harder games then this out there.

That is an irrelevant and slightly bizarre post man. I was enjoying discussing this with you earlier, but saying that to someone is a bit silly.

First time poster in here, but has anyone had problems with the game?

Playing on 360. The game loads, there's a blue bat symbol, then it disappears, and now it's frozen on a black screen.

Am I doing something wrong?

The game is fairly bug-ridden on all platforms (except for Wii U?)

I've just run into the Burnley tower glitch on the PC version, and my Brother lost his save file when the game froze on a loading screen (360 version).

Nephrahim

I just feel very odd with people who think this has changed the combat because I barely noticed the difference. After friends informed me of this, I hopped into AC to check and I still could barely tell a difference in terms of pacing.

To me AO is just AC with more enemy types, a few changed moves, and rage from GoW.

I'm enjoying this game a lot so far, but I think they could have done a lot more with the origin story. Limiting batman's tools and abilities could have lead to a lot more gameplay scenarios.

Nephrahim

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a jerk, I just have a really skewed perception of this game from how long I spent practicing in Arkham City I think.

Nephrahim

To get off the combat for a sec, a friend as a question about the story, and I couldn't think of a really good answer.

Why does Joker hire all the assassins to kill Batman? He obviously doesn't feel THAT strongly about him before the events of the game. I figure it was just to create chaos from all of them tearing apart the city, or maybe he knew batman was a bigger threat then the cops and just wanted to get rid of him, but they both feel like weak answers.

Dmax3901

So I finally got the Burnley tower glitch to work.

If you still haven't had any luck with it, try turning v-sync on.

Not kidding.

To get off the combat for a sec, a friend as a question about the story, and I couldn't think of a really good answer.

Why does Joker hire all the assassins to kill Batman? He obviously doesn't feel THAT strongly about him before the events of the game. I figure it was just to create chaos from all of them tearing apart the city, or maybe he knew batman was a bigger threat then the cops and just wanted to get rid of him, but they both feel like weak answers.

It seems that this Joker's origin story is derived from The Killing Joke, where he slips into a tank of acid because of Batman, thus causing his transformation from a small time crook to the Joker, which in turn makes him lash out against Bats. That's my guess anyways.

Nephrahim

It seems that this Joker's origin story is derived from The Killing Joke, where he slips into a tank of acid because of Batman, thus causing his transformation from a small time crook to the Joker, which in turn makes him lash out against Bats. That's my guess anyways.

Oh. Hmm. Revenge would fit, I guess. I didn't think of it that way, and that scene was such an acid trip (I bet people who don't know who the Red Hood was would be really confused in that scene.) I wasn't sure if batman was really there or not.

I've had thugs in-game speculating on this, lol.

I believe their reasoning was that Joker is mainly using it as a litmus test on Batman's skills, not expecting any of them to actually kill him, but to see how he handles them, what kind of gadgets he has, etc.

Seems plausible to me. Sacrifice the competition, and learn more about your foe in the process.

Season Pass and Black Mask DLC still missing from the eShop...

Black Mask DLC shows up on the 360's in-game store, and listed as free, but every time I select it I just get the option to cancel and scroll the description. No option to actually buy it shows up at all. It's really annoying!

Yuripaw

Banned
Has anyone else who has the PC version have had issues with the level system? When I first booted it up, I started out at level 1, then I played a game and got up to level 5. The next match I played had got disconnected for some reason, so it took me back to the title screen, and when I logged back in, it put me at level 1 again. I played a match and got up to level 2 again, then logged off. A few minutes later, I logged back in to play with a friend of mine, and I was at level 1 again!

I'm afraid to boot it up later, to see if it does the same crap. It's just annoying, because any chance to get more unlocks goes away with that.

Nephrahim

Has anyone else who has the PC version have had issues with the level system? When I first booted it up, I started out at level 1, then I played a game and got up to level 5. The next match I played had got disconnected for some reason, so it took me back to the title screen, and when I logged back in, it put me at level 1 again. I played a match and got up to level 2 again, then logged off. A few minutes later, I logged back in to play with a friend of mine, and I was at level 1 again!

I'm afraid to boot it up later, to see if it does the same crap. It's just annoying, because any chance to get more unlocks goes away with that.

Yes, it's had this problem since it launched.

Most of the time it saves your levels, but sometimes it still looses a few.

Kabuto

I wasn't surprised since I had been listening to his radio station till it loops... after like five minutes or so. Maybe its a running joke.

Are you trying this? It may have already been posted but it worked for me.
http://youtu.be/Vt5ang7jXWM

I was just about to come in to post this. I was using the Xbox controller and after switching to M+ KB when I got to the pipe, it worked.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I've never really gotten over how stupidly long the batears are on the AC/AA model. Sooooo bad...and not in a good way <.<

batman-2.gif

Kelley Jones' Batman has always been one of my favourite Batman designs.

Then again, so was Miller's.

I can take or leave the long ears :)

Hixx

No it's not. You can still think City's timings were better, sure, but it's not too small at all. The biggest "issue" (not an issue) is that in this game you have to think better about your moves, since not everything is easily canceled with a counter, you have to commit to quite a few moves if you want to use them.

Again, nothing wrong with thinking City was better in that aspect, but saying the counter window is too small seems like a joke. The parry window in SF III is small, the counter window in Arkham Origins is huge.

There is no need to call my opinion a joke.

And I stand by my opinion that the window can be too small if I can't even get the most basic attack off. If there is no counter warning before I go to punch someone - not ground takedown, not using a quickfire gadget - then how on Earth is it fair for me not to be able to counter because the window is so small that it won't accept my input because I am still doing a punch? If I screw up using a long-winded move, sure. That's my fault. But a simple, quick punch? Nah, sorry.

I have no problem with challenge, difficulty, whatever you want to call it. There are attacks in this game that are simply designed to stop your combo and I feel there is very little you can do about it. Which is unfair and there's nothing worse in a game than when you feel like you couldn't prevent what has just happened. It's very frustrating going from what I feel would be an S-rank fight to an A-rank because I got... well, sucker punched.

Nephrahim

There is no need to call my opinion a joke.

And I stand by my opinion that the window can be too small if I can't even get the most basic attack off. If there is no counter warning before I go to punch someone - not ground takedown, not using a quickfire gadget - then how on Earth is it fair for me not to be able to counter because the window is so small that it won't accept my input because I am still doing a punch? If I screw up using a long-winded move, sure. That's my fault. But a simple, quick punch? Nah, sorry.

I have no problem with challenge, difficulty, whatever you want to call it. There are attacks in this game that are simply designed to stop your combo and I feel there is very little you can do about it. Which is unfair and there's nothing worse in a game than when you feel like you couldn't prevent what has just happened. It's very frustrating going from what I feel would be an S-rank fight to an A-rank because I got... well, sucker punched.

Thing is, Sucker punches have always been an issue in these games. I know I've been sucker punched while striking in Arkham City a bunch of times.

I would say, if you're having trouble getting some breathing room, simply spam counter for 4 or 5 strikes. They like lining them up at the beginning of a fight, but after that initial rush you can get enough room to start free-flowing without worrying about counters as much. I rarely counter more then 4 or 5 times even in a huge fight.

RPGCrazied

Alright, getting the game today. If no patch out for PS3, don't install 1.01? Don't know what it fixes, but hearing it kills framerate.

pa22word

If only Robert Downey Jr. had been cast as Batman instead of Bale...

Jokes aside, that thing looks heinously silly. I think it'd look fine if they were going for a medieval, almost regal-esque type of setting or whatever, but in a NYC urban style setting? :x

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If only Robert Downey Jr. had been cast as Batman instead of Bale...

Jokes aside, that thing looks heinously silly. I think it'd look fine if they were going for a medieval, almost regal-esque type of setting or whatever, but in a NYC urban style setting? :x

Nah, it was a kind of Gothic take on Batman. I'm not saying it would suit Origins, just an example of a Batman design where the big ears look cool. To me. I'm glad I got the Long Halloween costume with the game. :)

I prefer the combat in this to the previous games. Feels far more intense and actually a fight, rather than purely an opportunity to chain attacks in the most stylish way possible.

Lima

None on Wii U either....which is actually a good thing in this instance.

I'm not a big fan of rumble and usually keep it off. I just wanted to check to see if it is an issue on my end (tried a second controller and stuff) but it seems it doesn't have rumble.

Gaz_RB

Just beat it. Ending was a bit abrupt, but as a whole I enjoyed it more than AC. Which I couldn't even finish.
Story was definitely as standout for me this time around.

Wish there were more characters to play as for the challenge modes.

Ephemeris

Just reached the part where I'm to head to the morgue. (I feel like that's vague enough to not need spoilers).

If it wasn't for the technical jankiness and tweaks to the combat system that still bugs me, this could have been the best game of the series :(

Just reached the part where I'm to head to the morgue. (I feel like that's vague enough to not need spoilers).

If it wasn't for the technical jankiness and tweaks to the combat system that still bugs me, this could have been the best game of the series :(

Might want to back up your save. My game froze after clearing that area and corrupted my save.

Still enjoying it, i think it's better than Arkham City. But i am paranoid that i'll get hit with a saved game curruption at somepoint (although the worst i have experienced is just audio stopping occasionally).

Ephemeris

Might want to back up your save. My game froze after clearing that area and corrupted my save.

After I read the reports on that, I upload the server after every play session.

But my play sessions are usually *hours* long and I'd hate having to do that over.

Beats having to do the entire thing over, I suppose.

Double D

Those who have beaten the game, what was your completion percentage at when you did so? Mine was at 25%. Does the
Riddler
stuff really account for like 75% of the stuff there is to do? The 25% also included the
Anarky sidequest

pa22word

Nah, it was a kind of Gothic take on Batman. I'm not saying it would suit Origins, just an example of a Batman design where the big ears look cool. To me. I'm glad I got the Long Halloween costume with the game. :)

Ha I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the Batears then, friend! Coincidentally though, I just got done reading the first issue of the Long Halloween I got for free as a part of some comic special sale day or something at a local store. I've never read it before, but just reading through what I guess constitutes the opening chapter of the book and it's pretty obvious Nolan really liked this book, heh.

Top Bottom