• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

I haven't gotten the shOck gloves myself but they sound almost exactly like the armored edition special move you would get if you beat up enough bad guys. it made you super overpowered

you could steamroll armored enemies with it no problem

Derrick01

Banned
It's in the Burnley radio tower. All you have to do is restart from the last checkpoint. If you go back in for whatever reason the grate that closes behind you won't close behind you. You can't access it until you get the remote batclaw, though.

Thanks, I actually ran into the glitch since I used the regular claw to pull the vent off lol. Would be nice if they would let us use some creativity instead of keeping us on a rail.

pa22word

I don't think it would be as cool or work as well as everyone thinks it would

When you open up a game like that you lose a LOT of narrative focus and that's where these games shine

People saying to bring in the batmobile, I think that would be horrible.

Honestly the first thing that pops in my mind when I read "batmobile" in the arkham games is the memory of playing THUG for PS2 the first time when and it asked me to get in a car and drive.

It's been nearly (or equal/more?) ten years since that game came out and it still marks the biggest jumping the shark moment for a game ever for me, lol...

Macsta

IMG_3895.jpg

Mortal kombat easter egg

Squishy3

Thanks, I actually ran into the glitch since I used the regular claw to pull the vent off lol. Would be nice if they would let us use some creativity instead of keeping us on a rail.
I mean to get into the tower in the first place. Unless there's some way to get in there without it I don't know about.

Honestly the first thing that pops in my mind when I read "batmobile" in the arkham games is the memory of playing THUG for PS2 the first time when and it asked me to get in a car and drive.
Really? Not the part where you do a McTwist over a helicopter from the top of a hotel and land on the ground without breaking your legs?

bryanee

That Burnley Tower glitch is avoidable, just don't hack the first console on the left so the bars don't come down. Just pull the vent down and head up to the roof. I've done this three times now with no problems.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The impression of a living Gotham City I think would be the next big step, yeah, if it were to follow the template of the Arkham games so far. It would need to draw from a pool of familiar concepts, but make some significant change or addition that impacts the overall design and presentation of the game. Much like City did for Asylum.

Obviously they're going to stick with the open world idea. Populating that world and structuring events to be more dynamic would be a pretty big change, along with main quests and side quests having deeper integration into the ebb and flow of the population interacting with the city. If it were big enough you could have scenarios like cops chasing after dudes in a van that bats must intercept from the skies.

Issue I could see is that structure would assuredly impact how much play space you have on the ground. I can't image the theme of a living city would work with bats casually walking populated streets. But that itself could be turned into a "notoriety" system, where you can walk amongst plebs, but frequency can attract certain events and negative attention towards bats.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, Rocksteady does with Arkham 4 that sets it apart from City. I think the leap between Asylum and City, and the differences it introduced, was so great that it's going to be very hard. But it'll be a next gen game, so there's a good start. Origins following City's template is understandable, as the game has to be pushing current gen hardware limits. City size, density, population, and complexity of dynamic events has greater potential on the next round of hardware.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do you think you could see some Justice Leaguers in the next Rocksteady game?

I guess so. Depends on what Rocksteady and Warner decide is the best direction for the franchise. Even with the series mingling a lot of characters together I don't know if they've built enough to jump from Batman: The Video Game to one where you're playing as more characters. Unless they don't bother with that, keep the campaign focused on Batman, and simply start introducing the characters and concept of a Justice League forming. I figure we'll get at least two Arkham games next gen. They could start with a game about bats meeting others and forming a Justice League, then following that with a sequel that's based around the entire group. Multiplayer and whatnot.

Iono *shrug*.

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit they really need to tune the aggressiveness of these enemies down. Just a notch at least. I just threw my damn 360 controller because I can't seem to go a single fight with a large group without dying now. The enemies take too many hits, they attack too often which ruins the flow of the fight and the counter window is razor thin. I don't even feel like batman anymore I feel like I'm playing fucking assassin's creed just standing there and waiting to hit the counter button every other second. They really hurt this near-perfect combat system with this aggressive enemy problem.

pa22word

The impression of a living Gotham City I think would be the next big step, yeah, if it were to follow the template of the Arkham games so far. It would need to draw from a pool of familiar concepts, but make some significant change or addition that impacts the overall design and presentation of the game. Much like City did for Asylum.

Obviously they're going to stick with the open world idea. Populating that world and structuring events to be more dynamic would be a pretty big change, along with main quests and side quests having deeper integration into the ebb and flow of the population interacting with the city. If it were big enough you could have scenarios like cops chasing after dudes in a van that bats must intercept from the skies.

Issue I could see is that structure would assuredly impact how much play space you have on the ground. I can't image the theme of a living city would work with bats casually walking populated streets. But that itself could be turned into a "notoriety" system, where you can walk amongst plebs, but frequency can attract certain events and negative attention towards bats.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, Rocksteady does with Arkham 4 that sets it apart from City. I think the leap between Asylum and City, and the differences it introduced, was so great that it's going to be very hard. But it'll be a next gen game, so there's a good start. Origins following City's template is understandable, as the game has to be pushing current gen hardware limits. City size, density, population, and complexity of dynamic events has greater potential on the next round of hardware.

Or they take option B: make a Batman Beyond game where it isn't feasible for you to ever realistically see the ground much less get close enough to touch it, thus the problem eradicates itself.

Man I just really want a Beyond game =\

Really? Not the part where you do a McTwist over a helicopter from the top of a hotel and land on the ground without breaking your legs?

Uhhhh Tony Hawk was filled with over the top silly stuff that defied the laws of physics since the first game, so no it going there didn't really phase me much.

You know, it's kinda funny seeing you in here throwing a fit because a game chose to address a gameplay imbalance with difficulty when you're probably off in some other thread raining down super-concentrated vitriolic elitism over some game being "dumbed down" to be made easier for people.

EatChildren

I like the aggression because it forces me to use multiple moves and stay on my toes, unlike Asylum and City which were too easy to cheese, both via the core combat mechanics and the upgrade system.

In any one encounter in Origins I find myself doing more than I think I've ever done in Asylum/City. The pressure forces me to diversify my play, which makes for more involved and interesting fights.

Derrick01

Banned
I like the aggression because it forces me to use multiple moves and stay on my toes, unlike Asylum and City which were too easy to cheese, both via the core combat mechanics and the upgrade system.

In any one encounter in Origins I find myself doing more than I think I've ever done in Asylum/City. The pressure forces me to diversify my play, which makes for more involved and interesting fights.

I'm finding it's doing the exact opposite. It's hard to get anything else in besides normal hits, counters or a flip over an enemy because as soon as you counter an enemy 2 more are right in your face. I was able to fight how I wanted in AC while still retaining some decent level of difficulty and challenge and still getting high chains while using a diverse set of moves. I can't do any of that in Origins.

Spike

Question for any Wii U version owners:

Are you able to use the Wii U Controller Pro to play the game and still use the Gamepad for the map functions at the same time?

gfdoom

This! That's what I'm liking about AO, I'm finding myself use more gadgetry in my combos, takedowns and what not (guess it helps playing on hard as well) more than I've done in the other games. I luv finishing an enemy off with the grapple gun combo where he pulls them forward then slams them to the ground with his elbow.

pa22word

Yeah, this is my feelings on it for sure. I wrote a post in detail about why I feel all the changes are for the best, and honestly, would have probably been there in the first place if the designers were designing City from the ground up as a new game instead of taking Asylum's systems and retrofitting them to fit an open world setting.

Rocksteady should do Batman Beyond and let WB do Bruce Wayne Batman in the present. I love this version of Batman.

Holy shit they really need to tune the aggressiveness of these enemies down. Just a notch at least. I just threw my damn 360 controller because I can't seem to go a single fight with a large group without dying now. The enemies take too many hits, they attack too often which ruins the flow of the fight and the counter window is razor thin. I don't even feel like batman anymore I feel like I'm playing fucking assassin's creed just standing there and waiting to hit the counter button every other second. They really hurt this near-perfect combat system with this aggressive enemy problem.

I jump a lot and then punch their fucking kidneys into pulp.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Rocksteady should do Batman Beyond and let WB do Bruce Wayne Batman in the present. I love this version of Batman.

I actually think Rocksteady should do an aging Batman - rather than go directly to the Batman Beyond route - and WB can focus on the early life of Batman.

Of course, I would much rather Rocksteady work on creating a branch of super-hero games via the Arkham games as a starting point - can you imagine a DCAU of video games?

I'm still loving this game though. The story is honestly a lot better told so far than the previous two Arkham games (although I did enjoy both of the previous stories as well). I'm at - about 48% through the story spoilers -
Gotham Central Bank where I think I'm about to face the Joker and I just finished the Mad Hatter quest.

One thing I love about these games is how getting all the Riddler stuff always takes the longest. It's essentially for the people who really want to complete everything in the game, because that's likely going to be the last thing people are going to be working on after beating any of the Arkham games.

Derrick01

Banned
I jump a lot and then punch their fucking kidneys into pulp.

Yeah I end up doing that too and then feel bored for using 2 moves. I like to use the full arsenal in every combat scenario I can since it feels more like being Batman. But there's such an incredibly small window to nail most moves without getting hit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What's crazy, is that I didn't realize that you can use remote claw to grip people to gargoyles, until after I finished the main story :lol

pa22word

Yeah, that'd be ideal I think. Despite its warts (of which I think we can place at lot of the blame on Warner hitting the panic button on getting this game out the door before the new consoles launched), I think this is the best implementation of the formula yet when taken at its entirety. Only problem is man I really hope they go a different direction with the art and plot, because it was painful enough to see the TAS designs get fucking mangled by Rocksteady, and I don't know if the underlying art of Beyond is strong enough to survive the Arkam treatment >.>

Also the optimist in me hopes that the playing with verticality in Origins is a sign Rocksteady might be toying with the idea for a potential Beyond game and wanted to see how it worked in practice. Because obviously a Beyond game would entail much more verticality in its design simply for the fact Terry can fucking fly, lol. I think they can work around the problem EatChildren was posting about because they can play off the limits of the game's "floor" by having hovercrafts constantly shooting below a certain altitude. I mean thinking about it it could almost work like Wind Waker, with the skyscrapers and such acting like a mulitlayered city (ala detroit in the DXHR trailers), where the individual islands as they were in WW acting as huge second layer subway hubs, plazas, or "yards" to the more elaborate condos that are on the cities second "layer".

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg with a Beyond game. There's just so much cool and interesting stuff they can do with it it'd be a shame if they didn't do one before Rocksteady moves on to something else.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Really? I've gotten through 90% of the fights by just standing there tapping Y every few seconds. Occasionally you have to dodge a knife or stun a big guy, but diverse is not how I would describe the combat in this game at all.

It's another symptom of the game seeming to divorce itself from the comics history more so than the Rocksteady games. I'm loving the game so far, but unlike the previous two games I don't feel like WB Montreal are superfans of the character and Batman universe.

While the game isn't packed wall-to-wall with Easter Eggs like the Rocksteady games, the quality of the story in the second half tells me that WB Montreal really get these characters. This is probably one of the better Year Two stories I've encountered.

Dysun

I dont know why so many are struggling with Deathstroke, just wait for the counter indicator and pull him to you. Breezed through that in like 15 mins, and actually found it fun

Yeah I end up doing that too and then feel bored for using 2 moves. I like to use the full arsenal in every combat scenario I can since it feels more like being Batman. But there's such an incredibly small window to nail most moves without getting hit.

Only when I reached the
GCPD HQ
did I realize that I can use the Batclaw in combat. Had a fun time jumping away and then clotheslining motherfuckers.

After a while, you sorta get the hang of it. I've learned to keep my distance. My biggest annoyance with combat is getting double teamed. Sometimes it counters both, sometimes only one and I wind up getting hit. Sometimes three attack and it counters all of them! Ha. Also, I have no idea how to use and detonate explosives in combat.

Sojgat

I don't think it would be as cool or work as well as everyone thinks it would

When you open up a game like that you lose a LOT of narrative focus and that's where these games shine

People saying to bring in the batmobile, I think that would be horrible.

Here is how I see it working:

First don't think of a huge open world like GTA V, but more like Sleeping Dogs which has many areas within it's land mass that are totally inaccessible to the player. Populated public areas should also be inaccessible, unless some scripted event/setpiece alters this condition. If you glide down into such an area, the game would simply turn you back as in Origins and AC when you go to the edge of the play area. The game would still be set at night, so outside of certain central areas there would still be very few people around and very little traffic on the roads. Certain areas could become busier at certain times, perhaps a large parade takes place at some point during the story.

The Batmobile should be the only vehicle Batman can drive (no GTA style car jacking lol). Batman does not kill, so there will be no using it as a weapon or crashing into pedestrians. They could always jump out of the way just in time like in Driver: SF, or the player might simply have limited control of the vehicle outside of specific instances. The Batmobile could be driven simply for getting around the map or optionally as a fast travel system. Specific missions would be designed around it's use (timed races to locations, race through exploding environment, etc), but otherwise it would be quite limited, and just a cool thing to have in the game for fans.

Combat, stealth, and traversal could all be handled in much the same way as the previous games. The big difference would be the variety and scope that the larger populated environment allows for in terms of mission design, in particular sidequests. A civilian population could add another element to the game - more hostages, more crime variety, Batman has to protect/rescue them as much as he has to neutralize the criminals. It also provides for different storytelling opportunities that the largely deserted open worlds of the previous games do not. For example, terrorists might take over a charity event Bruce Wayne is hosting, and the player must slip away, suit up, free the hostages... and fight Maxie Zeus or whoever.

It doesn't have to be a massive departure, the open world environment just needs to be really well designed. I apologize if this entire post comes off like the rantings of a madman.

Kabuto

I'm finding it's doing the exact opposite. It's hard to get anything else in besides normal hits, counters or a flip over an enemy because as soon as you counter an enemy 2 more are right in your face. I was able to fight how I wanted in AC while still retaining some decent level of difficulty and challenge and still getting high chains while using a diverse set of moves. I can't do any of that in Origins.

I was about to come in and say the exact same thing that you said Derrick. The combat is so frustrating in this game compared to City's. You have to counter way too often in this imo. I literally had to counter four enemies in a row today when I was playing. The Disarm Special Move is also glitched and doesn't work for me and with Arkham Origins strangely having in someone with a gun in 80% of the melee fights I'm in, it's another point of frustration. The Armored Thugs in this game don't stand out in this game either. They have the exact some color compared to every other thug so I'm always hitting them on accident, which didn't happen in City because they were always wearing white or red armor.

I was also fighting some thugs today to interrogate Enigma's data extortion guy when another guy behind a fence had a gun so he started shooting me while I was fighting. I had to jump over the fence and get him before jumping back to finish the fight. Game is so unpolished.

Sojgat

Only when I reached the
GCPD HQ
did I realize that I can use the Batclaw in combat. Had a fun time jumping away and then clotheslining motherfuckers.

After a while, you sorta get the hang of it. I've learned to keep my distance. My biggest annoyance with combat is getting double teamed. Sometimes it counters both, sometimes only one and I wind up getting hit. Sometimes three attack and it counters all of them! Ha. Also, I have no idea how to use and detonate explosives in combat.

On 360, quickfire left trigger and X to set one, press them again to detonate it. An indicator comes up showing how many enemies are in range of the explosion.

PaulloDEC

I haven't had much trouble with the countering (on Normal difficulty), but I absolutely agree about how many hits these guys take. They just keep on getting back up. Unless you're able to coral a stray thug away from the pack, you'll never get a chance to do a knockout on a downed enemy without being hit mid-finisher.

It's getting to the point where I have to keep taking breaks because my hands are getting sore from marathon combat scenarios.

They just keep on getting back up. Unless you're able to coral a stray thug away from the pack, you'll never get a chance to do a knockout on a downed enemy without being hit mid-finisher.

You guys know that the takedown combo can't be interrupted by regular enemies right? And that beatdowns are much safer than ground pounds, which were suicidal when there were multiple enemies still standing even back in AC?

The multi-enemy finisher combo is one you can unlock with leveling up, and it lets me take down 3-5 enemies simultaneously. Everyone on the ground will get finished off by it and you can't take hits when you're pulling it off. I forget its exact name but its like multi-ground takedown or something like that. I can take out a pack of 4 regular enemies in about 8 seconds flat.

Sojgat

You guys know that the takedown combo can't be interrupted by regular enemies right? And that beatdowns are much safer than ground pounds, which were suicidal when there were multiple enemies still standing even back in AC?

The multi-enemy finisher combo is one you can unlock with leveling up, and it lets me take down 3-5 enemies simultaneously. Everyone on the ground will get finished off by it and you can't take hits when you're pulling it off. I forget its exact name but its like multi-ground takedown or something like that. I can take out a pack of 4 regular enemies in about 8 seconds flat.

You're right it is called the Multi Ground Takedown. Basically people just need to adapt their play style and get better at the game. If it's getting tiresome, experiment and learn the combat system. Origins is encouraging exactly that by not letting players rely on a few overpowered moves that it keeps locked away until later in the game.

PaulloDEC

Which is the takedown combo? Not the R2 + Triangle one?

I think I've unlocked a Circle + X takedown move, but I'm super goofy when it comes to pressing those two together (or any two-in-a-row that aren't parallel to my thumb).

AHA-Lambda

That Burnley Tower glitch is avoidable, just don't hack the first console on the left so the bars don't come down. Just pull the vent down and head up to the roof. I've done this three times now with no problems.

How are you supposed to shut the tower down then if you don't hack the console?

pa22word

Which is the takedown combo? Not the R2 + Triangle one?

I think I've unlocked a Circle + X takedown move, but I'm super goofy when it comes to pressing those two together (or any two-in-a-row that aren't parallel to my thumb).

It's X+O when enemies are on the ground. Instantly takesdown every enemy on the floor. Combine this with the super batbomb paste (RT+square when the combo meter is flashing red) and you can immediately end like, 15 people at once.

ezekial45

Banned
Can you complete the Dark Knight challenges by doing the challenge maps at the Batcave? I tried to do the Critical Strike one for like 30 minutes and got nothing, but when I got back to town, I complete it with the first group I fought.

I gotta say, I really don't like how they're tied to skill progression. I'm still lvl 3 for Worst Nightmare, and I think I'm halfway through the game.

Top Bottom