• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Read more comics! Potential hooks:

- Batman wants it more
- Superman is reluctant to kill humans, including Bats
- Superman works for the US Government in some way (setting up Justice League maybe)
- Superman is weakened
- K R Y P T O / D A R K / K N I G H T
- Batman uses a powersuit

How did you forget Batman's one true super power?

- Prep time.

Bam, supes is done.

- Batman wants it more
- Superman works for the US Government in some way (setting up Justice League maybe)
- Superman is weakened

Don't forget:
- Cameo from Green Arrow who has beef with Supes

What's the consensus how is batman going to keep up with superman powers? Is that we're the new suite comes in?

People are getting man of steel superman mixed up with comics. He strained himself to lift oil rig scaffolding. This supes is still largely unproven, I'm sure whatever armor Batman can cook up will be sufficiently durable.

IconGrist

People are getting man of steel superman mixed up with comics. He strained himself to lift oil rig scaffolding. This supes is still largely unproven, I'm sure whatever armor Batman can cook up will be sufficiently durable.

Largely unproven? I think taking out the World Engine while he was being drained of his powers on top of overcoming massive gravity pressure is more than enough to think Batman's armor would do little to help in a fight.

Largely unproven? I think taking out the World Engine while he was being drained of his powers on top of overcoming massive gravity pressure is more than enough to think Batman's armor would do little to help in a fight.

The mechanics behind his ability to fly != how much force he can throw behind a punch. It's not inconceivable that this version of supes would have a tough time tearing or denting a material like diamond, not to mention nth metal or whatever snyder wants to throw at us from the comics.

IconGrist

The mechanics behind his ability to fly != how much force he can throw behind a punch. It's not inconceivable that this version of supes would have a tough time tearing or denting a material like diamond, not to mention nth metal or whatever snyder wants to throw at us from the comics.

Is this assuming Batman's armor is made of diamond? Superman had no problem crumpling a giant metal door to save the people on the oil rig. Not to mention ripping off the door to that Kryptonian spacecraft Lois was in as it fell to Earth. Crashing through the ship Zod was in from the Arctic.

When searching for Zod in between buildings he was moving at high speed and had serious reaction time navigating the skyscrapers and stopped on a dime. Managed to avoid some blows from Zod during the mid air combat section. Didn't see any issue with his ability to maneuver while in flight.

He got in a few good punches with both Non and Zod and easily set them back. Being Kryptonians they had the ability to recover quickly. Batman doesn't really have that luxury and even with an armored suit I doubt there's much he could do to stop the momentum from a direct punch on his own. Although, an argument can be made that Superman would choose not to hit him as hard as he would a being of similar power.

This is all just what was shown in MoS. Granted, it's possible Snyder will adjust his level of effectiveness but this is also a Superman 2 years after the events of MoS. He'd likely have much greater experience with his powers.

lawful

Banned
Is this assuming Batman's armor is made of diamond? Superman had no problem crumpling a giant metal door to save the people on the oil rig. Not to mention ripping off the door to that Kryptonian spacecraft Lois was in as it fell to Earth. Crashing through the ship Zod was in from the Arctic.

When searching for Zod in between buildings he was moving at high speed and had serious reaction time navigating the skyscrapers and stopped on a dime. Managed to avoid some blows from Zod during the mid air combat section. Didn't see any issue with his ability to maneuver while in flight.

He got in a few good punches with both Non and Zod and easily set them back. Being Kryptonians they had the ability to recover quickly. Batman doesn't really have that luxury and even with an armored suit I doubt there's much he could do to stop the momentum from a direct punch on his own. Although, an argument can be made that Superman would choose not to hit him as hard as he would a being of similar power.

This is all just what was shown in MoS. Granted, it's possible Snyder will adjust his level of effectiveness but this is also a Superman 2 years after the events of MoS. He'd likely have much greater experience with his powers.

IMO The armor is more about Batman being able to throw a punch that Superman might feel more so than it is a shield.

IconGrist

IMO The armor is more about Batman being able to throw a punch that Superman might feel more so than it is a shield.

I would say both, maybe with more emphasis on throwing a punch Superman would feel, yea.. He'd have to know there's a possibility Superman is going to land a punch if he really wants to though.

- Batman wants it more
- Superman is weakened

Thanks!

Another noob question why couldn't Christian Bale from dark knight continue being batman?

lawful

Banned
I would say both, maybe with more emphasis on throwing a punch Superman would feel, yea.. He'd have to know there's a possibility Superman is going to land a punch if he really wants to though.

I'm not sure if you read the comic or saw the two part animated film but there are big story reasons why Supes is less powerful and as I type this I realize that whole teaser is shot at night with storm clouds above blotting out the God-Mode giving Sun. No Sun, no Supes. Yeah he can store solar energy but like I said there were big story reasons why the sky was blackened in the oG telling of this so maybe they'll do something similar.

Tellin ya, the no sun element in that vid..

IconGrist

Thanks!

Another noob question why couldn't Christian Bale from dark knight continue being batman?

Self contained story and emphasis on realism. That Batman would be fairly useless next to the likes of MoS Superman.

That's not a knock on Bale's version. Just sort of the general opinion of the director and writing team.

lawful

Banned
Thanks!

the short answer is contract expirations and pay checks but logically because then that would tie Man of Steel and it's world to the Nolan Dark Knight universe (which I don't have a problem with, Nolan sure does though) and that would make people confused I guess.

IconGrist

I'm not sure if you read the comic or saw the two part animated film but there are big story reasons why Supes is less powerful and as I type this I realize that whole teaser is shot at night with storm clouds above blotting out the God-Mode giving Sun. No Sun, no Supes. Yeah he can store solar energy but like I said there were big story reasons why the sky was blackened in the oG telling of this so maybe they'll do something similar.

Tellin ya, the no sun element in that vid..

True, they could. I think you may be over-estimating how much a lack of sunlight effects Superman but I couldn't say since there were really no night time shots in MoS. Even in the comic Batman was counting on a weakened Superman due to him tanking a Nuke plus Green Arrow shooting with a Kryptonite arrow. We don't even know if Kryptonite will be introduced in this universe. Or Green Arrow for that matter but they could easily substitute that part.

jtran1988

Neo Member
The purpose of the fight can go in many ways. Batman sees superman as a threat because of the destruction of metropolis. Lex Luthor got into either Batman or Superman head. Lex Luthor mind control. Lex Luthor became a short term president and orders superman to bring in Batman. Lex Luthor frames either one of them to troll them into fighting.

The fight is going to happen. Both will probably have their ways with each other for fanboy services.

Thanks!

Nolan's trilogy was a great self contained universe with a Batman that was more or less based on reality. Because of that, if Nolan Bats stood next to the like of Superman and eventually the rest of the Justice League, he would look ridiculously useless unless they either power everyone down immensely.or buff Bats to the point of inconsistency. Not saying Bats can go toe to toe with superpowered beings but comic Bats has things like genius level intelligence, proficiency with hundreds of different styles of martial arts that give him a bit of edge on the team. So even if they made the Dark Knight films to ultimately join with Superman, it just wouldnt work imo.

inm8num2

Superman's red eyes I think make it obvious he's under someone's influence.

L0KfZtw.jpg

DarkFlow

Banned
She looks perfect body wise, certainly a lot better than when those pencil-esque body figure pictures of her were floating around after it was revealed she was playing WW.
Huh? She still looks pencil thin. She's supposed to be a amazon warrior, not a super model.

teiresias

In the promo pics Batman looks fucking hulking, but damn Cavill looks HUGE here.

Huh? Really? I don't think he actually looks all that large in that photo, he seemed bigger back during MoS shooting (could be the angle or maybe he just didn't bulk as much this time and is letting the costume do the work).

I dunno, I like him in the role, but everytime I see him I can only think of his character in "Hellraiser: Hellworld" getting killed on the meat hook, lol!!!

Are they still in principle photography? Two years out, I'd guess so.

DarkFlow

Banned
That's pencil thin? Nah, she looks pretty fit and healthy, just not muscular yet. She could pass as an athlete.

This is what she looked like before...
qkU4gDm.jpg
I know what she looks like. I just think she's not very toned for WW. Then add in the fact she can't act for shit and I don't have high hopes.

Wazzy

Banned
I know what she looks like. I just think she's not very toned for WW. Then add in the fact she can't act for shit and I don't have high hopes.

She looks great. Wonder Women is not jacked in every iteration. You can prefer she look that way but it's not the only appearance she's had.

And as I said in another thread, her acting was fine in F&F. Was it amazing? no. But it was nowhere near bad and she was barely given anything to work with.

People really need to give these things a chance before judging.

DarkFlow

Banned
She looks great. Wonder Women is not jacked in every iteration. You can prefer she look that way but it's not the only appearance she's had.

And as I said in another thread, her acting was fine in F&F. Was it amazing? no. But it was nowhere near bad and she was barely given anything to work with.

People really need to give these things a chance before judging.
If by fine you mean like a block of wood, then yes I agree her acting is fine.

The perfect actress everyone wants for Wonder Woman doesn't exist. You can find plenty of guys who can emulate the big, beefcake body that superheroes have in the comics, but the reality is that in real life, women having bodies like Diana does in the comics is not universally appealing. So you can cast a big buff female bodybuilder or fitness model and have a lot of more casual fans think she looks like a freak, on top of likely being a bad actress, or you can cast a good actress who is probably too short and will look silly coming up to Superman's shoulder no matter how fit you get them to look. The tall, buff but not too buff, great actress doesn't exist in Hollywood. At some point you are going to have to make concessions.

kinggroin

Banned

I love you.

And yes, currently the actress looks more like something Wonder woman would floss her teeth with after having a meal fit for an Amazonian warrior.

This actress needs to fucking eat an Amazonian meal. I'd probably be far less harsh if she had given us any indiciation she can act better than the cars in the fast in the furious.

Edit:
The perfect actress everyone wants for Wonder Woman doesn't exist. You can find plenty of guys who can emulate the big, beefcake body that superheroes have in the comics, but the reality is that in real life, women having bodies like Diana does in the comics is not universally appealing. So you can cast a big buff female bodybuilder or fitness model and have a lot of more casual fans think she looks like a freak, on top of likely being a bad actress, or you can cast a good actress who is probably too short and will look silly coming up to Superman's shoulder no matter how fit you get them to look. The tall, buff but not too buff, great actress doesn't exist in Hollywood. At some point you are going to have to make concessions.

Because there is literally nothing Hollywood can do to make up for this theoretical height discrepancy. C'mon Ninja. Go watch a lord of the rings movie.

Wazzy

Banned
I love the people trying to dictate what Wonder Women looks like when it's been shown time after time that she has had the exact build in multiple iterations. Her super powers don't come from being built.

She never had any scenes that actually show her acting capabalities so of course she's going to seem wooden.

I'm not saying she's going to turn out amazing or anything like that. It's just we won't know what she's like until we actually see her acting tested.

DarkFlow

Banned
She never had any scenes that actually show her acting capabalities so of course she's going to seem wooden.

I'm not saying she's going to turn out amazing or anything like that. It's just we won't know what she's like until we actually see her acting tested.
Keep moving them goalposts.

I love you.

And yes, currently the actress looks more like something Wonder woman would floss her teeth with after having a meal fit for an Amazonian warrior.

This actress needs to fucking eat an Amazonian meal. I'd probably be far less harsh if she had given us any indiciation she can act better than the cars in the fast in the furious.

Edit:

Because there is literally nothing Hollywood can do to make up for this theoretical height discrepancy. C'mon Ninja. Go watch a lord of the rings movie.

And they can use those same camera tricks and visual style to make Gadot look formidable despite her lack of muscles. The actresses people suggested are usually just as small as Gadot in terms of frame, only shorter, except people will post existing pics of them in armor or wearing WW-esque costumes because people are usually really lazy when it comes to casting. Lynn Collins isn't any bigger than Gadot. The girl from Edge of Tomorrow isn't any bigger than Gadot. But we have pics of them wearing battle armor, or flexing their glistening, sweaty arms so everyone thinks they are the perfect choice.

Wazzy

Banned
Keep moving them goalposts.

Uh huh. Says the person ignoring the fact Wonder Women is not jacked in every iteration.

In the scenes where she had acting in F&F, she was fine. She played the serious but tough role well enough. I'm not sure what kind of acting you're expecting from the scenes she was in. She never had large amounts of dialogue.

ReiGun

"We want Wonder Woman!"
"Here you go!"
"Not that Wonder Woman!"
"Gah!"

And around and around it goes with this character.

DarkFlow

Banned
Uh huh. Says the person ignoring the fact Wonder Women is not jacked in every iteration.

In the scenes where she had acting in F&F, she was fine. She played the serious but tough role well enough. I'm not sure what kind of acting you're expecting from the scenes she was in. She never had large amounts of dialogue.
I never said she needed to be jacked, just toned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom