• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
give me the actors who play arrow and flash on the cw series in batman vs superman

Henry-Cavill-2012-07-jpg--brandon-routh-jpg.jpeg

You unfocus your eyes just a little bit and this is Antonio Sabato Jr.

EulaCapra

Wonder Woman as New 52 demigod is fine.

But for the love of Hera, no New 52 romantic pairing of Superman and Wonder Woman. Gross, ick, yuck. And let's be honest, nobody puts 5-Time Academy Award Nominee Amy Adams in a corner.

I still don't know how I'm going to suspend my disbelief that Batman will be able to touch Superman after Man of Steel. Armored power-suit or not, I'm going to have a real hard time believing that Batman's reflexes would allow him to see Superman move, let alone be able to hit him. I hope Snyder sticks to what he said a couple of comic-con's ago and shows how silly a scenario it is to put them head to head in a brawl, showing Superman mop the floor with Batman with little effort. Nerfing Superman would irk me big time.

I still don't know how I'm going to suspend my disbelief that Batman will be able to touch Superman after Man of Steel. Armored power-suit or not, I'm going to have a real hard time believing that Batman's reflexes would allow him to see Superman move, let alone be able to hit him. I hope Snyder sticks to what he said a couple of comic-con's ago and shows how silly a scenario it is to put them head to head in a brawl, showing Superman mop the floor with Batman with little effort. Nerfing Superman would irk me big time.

did he say that? because i find that hard to believe with this frank miller boner he got going on.

if so that would be cool though. i love batman (moreso than superman) but him against the man of steel...lolno.

unless his suit is made of kryptonite or he fights in a controlled environment.

Wiktor

give me the actors who play arrow and flash on the cw series in batman vs superman

Meh. It would be nice too see them, but it would screw up the tv shows and as much as I hope BvS will be great, it's just one movie. In three years it takes to make it CW will produce over 130 hours of DC superhero content. No point in shackling them with shared universe.

- J - D -

And he wouldn't even have kryptonite to depend on!

I kinda figure, if it's any kind of fight, it'll be more Superman avoiding hits going "come on, this is unnecessary" while Batman tries every trick in the book to try and hit him
at least until the big armor brawl.

karasu

Wonder Woman as New 52 demigod is fine.

But for the love of Hera, no New 52 romantic pairing of Superman and Wonder Woman. Gross, ick, yuck. And let's be honest, nobody puts 5-Time Academy Award Nominee Amy Adams in a corner.

She's probably the most boring Lois ever. Throw her in the corner and put up a fence.

Wiktor

MoS Supes is pretty nerfed though. Kryptonians move fast there, but not fast enough that's it's impossible to see them by human eye.

karasu

MoS Supes is pretty nerfed though. Kryptonians move fast there, but not fast enough that's it's impossible to see them by human eye.

Yeah, there's no way his eyes are fast enough to track that movement they were doing in a combat relevant fashion. Least of all a single punch. Punches are hard enough to see coming at normal human speeds.

inm8num2

For decades writers have found ways to downplay Superman's powers/strengths to make his fights a little more "fair" - this movie probably won't be an exception, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

For decades writers have found ways to downplay Superman's powers/strengths to make his fights a little more "fair" - this movie probably won't be an exception, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Fuck that. I want to see Batman's genius come out. Show me Batman utilizing his own superpower in this film - his cunning. A smartly written encounter that doesn't lazily play down the potential of each character would be much preferred to a lazy slugfest ripped from the pages of Miller's overrated tripe.

Fuck that. I want to see Batman's genius come out. Show me Batman utilizing his own superpower in this film - his cunning. A smartly written encounter that doesn't lazily play down the potential of each character would be much preferred to a lazy slugfest ripped from the pages of Miller's overrated tripe.

i know how much you like bale's wayne but i think affleck can beat it. he had this aloof moron quality to him in gone girl. the type of guy that you would never believe is capable of being cunning.

i hope they do introduce batman's ingenuity in this film though for sure. he was more a brawler with gadgets in all the other films.

Batman will likely be ultra genius in this movie. He's veteran Batman, and they really seem to be pushing him as a Batman that's at the top of his game.

If Brainiac is indeed en route, it'll probably be Bruce or Lex that figure it out.

What are you guys basing this on? The fact that they're selling Batman so hard?

We still know almost nothing about this movie. I see no reason to expect Superman to be nerfed. If anything he should be stronger than ever with even more abilities.

What are you guys basing this on? The fact that they're selling Batman so hard?

We still know almost nothing about this movie. I see no reason to expect Superman to be nerfed. If anything he should be stronger than ever with even more abilities.

pretty much. the way they even introduced the movie was all sorts of wrong.

Wiktor

Yeah, there's no way his eyes are fast enough to track that movement they were doing in a combat relevant fashion. Least of all a single punch. Punches are hard enough to see coming at normal human speeds.

Some sort of combo of drugs and partially automated combat system in armor should cover that, allowing him to land punches with relative ease.

that said, I do hope their confrontation won't be a stupid brawl. Bruce needs to outsmart Supes, not beat him up.

karasu

Superman Vs Batman is a fight that's never made any sense, ever. The fact that it's even seen as a serious contest is amazing. The characters just don't really relate on that level. If Superman were as strong as someone like Spiderman, okay maybe Batman could take him. If he were only as fast as Wolverine, than okay maybe Batman's bionic suit would make sense. But he's so far beyond those levels. It's like a leaf against a hurricane. The idea of Batman just whipping up technology more powerful than essentially every force of nature on this planet, just because he has to beat Superman in a fight, is ridiculous. If he's capable of that he should have created the suit years ago and been a more effective batman.

Wiktor

Superman Vs Batman is a fight that's never made any sense, ever. The fact that it's even seen as a serious contest is amazing. The characters just don't really relate on that level. If Superman were as strong as someone like Spiderman, okay maybe Batman could take him. If he were only as fast as Wolverine, than okay maybe Batman's bionic suit would make sense. But he's so far beyond those levels. It's like a leaf against a hurricane. The idea of Batman just whipping up technology more powerful than essentially every force of nature on this planet, just because he has to beat Superman in a fight, is ridiculous. If he's capable of that he should have created the suit years ago and been a more effective batman.

I think it worked in DKR, because it was set up properly there, with years of planning and using knowledge of Clark's psyche to his advantage. The other attempts felt flat for me.
Bruce should be easily able to compete with Clark, but by using his brain, not in direct fight. Afterall, Lex Luthor is the most classic Superman villain and he also fights with brain.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Their fight in BvS will boil down to:

BATMAN: Isn't that right, Clark?
(Superman uses X-Ray vision.)
SUPERMAN: Heh. Bruce Wayne...
It's their ideologies that'll clash. Hence Batman V Superman, not Batman VS Superman.

jmood88

Meh. It would be nice too see them, but it would screw up the tv shows and as much as I hope BvS will be great, it's just one movie. In three years it takes to make it CW will produce over 130 hours of DC superhero content. No point in shackling them with shared universe.
How would it screw up the tv shows?

Raptor

this Superman better not scare. they already established him as someone who doesn't back down from a fight.

That would brake my heart more than Episode 1 did.

You are completly rigth Sculli, it would bother me a lot too.

most things i'm hearing about this movie makes it seem like there's an incoming superman nerf and propping up batman on a pedestal :/

:(

And I love the damn Bat too, but this is Supes time to shine.

DaveH

Superman Vs Batman is a fight that's never made any sense, ever. The fact that it's even seen as a serious contest is amazing.
Is it? Outside the circle of fandom- and even within it- I think most people get that Superman is more powerful than Batman and would win a non-contrived fight. Jon Stewart lays it out:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/h7hzpu/ben-affleck

It's a stratified population of fandom that thinks Batman reliably takes down Superman. That said, it's an over sensitive fandom that thinks Batman could not conceivably "win" against Superman under a specific set of circumstances and with "win" defined accordingly.

The contest between the two has largely be in ideologies and popularity. In terms of fights, Batman "wins" have been defined as when he just manages to have an effect on Superman.

I think it worked in DKR, because it was set up properly there, with years of planning and using knowledge of Clark's psyche to his advantage. The other attempts felt flat for me.
DKR works only from Batman's perspective- which is exactly how you presented it- with all those attempts at building some semblance of an advantage, get a few strikes in, then playing possum as a "win."

However, DKR makes no sense from Superman's perspective. Prior to their showdown, the President wants Superman to bring Batman in alive, something Superman also desires but regretfully believes is impossible. So, as written, Superman is interested in: 1) Arresting Batman; 2) Preserving Batman's Life.

None of those interests come into play as DKR unfolds!

Instead of coming to Batman in his sleep with knockout gas, or hobbling him from space, or having the Flash pick him up... instead, in service to the contrived situation Miller wanted told, Superman burns "WHERE?" into the ground to set up an appointment for Batman to be- what, arrested?- or merely raise the risk of collateral damage, physical conflict, and harm to Bruce? Yes, Batman gets to use his vaunted "prep time" but now, Superman is reducing his chance of successfully arresting Batman and preserving Batman's life, the very two interests Miller wrote into the story prior!

Even throughout the fight, Superman is holding back... not unplugging Bruce from his lamp post, etc... but, naturally, it escalates to the point that the very interest that Superman is implied to have- protecting Batman's life- is believably jeopardized and extinguished!

DKR doesn't successfully explain Superman's motivations for a high noon showdown.

Bruce should be easily able to compete with Clark, but by using his brain, not in direct fight. Afterall, Lex Luthor is the most classic Superman villain and he also fights with brain.
While there are some valid parallels here, I disagree with the blanket characterization. The main distinguishing factor between Bruce and Lex is that Bruce has a compulsion to engage his enemies in a direct fight. It's why Bruce is Batman, bloodying his fists, and not merely the CEO of a privatized police force. Conversely, outside of Power Armor renditions, Lex is perfectly comfortable hiding behind the law and plausibly deniable puppets. That direct vs. indirect conflict makes all the difference when most of Superman's powers only mean anything in direct conflict.

That said, I agree that for the purposes of this film Batman should engage some of Superman's interests indirectly as a means of raising conflict. It will all depend on what Batman's "win" condition is (which is almost never to kill or KO Superman). For example, if Batman's position is that Superman is only "one bad day away" from enslaving humanity, to him, a "win" might be provoking Superman to anger to prove he is or could be made to go out of control (control Batman has spent a lifetime trying to cultivate). That doesn't require Batman KO Superman, but still get his kicks in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom