• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
A windows peak is cool but Cavill's unevenness makes his looks bad IMO.

jelly

Don't think he looks that better or worse than a man who slicks his hair like that.

Don Draper looks much the same.

His acting is more an issue.

QZqfrMP.jpg

Looks like he's mad at someone. Too much hype.

IconGrist

man the hair is REALLY starting to bug me.

It's a good thing we aren't real life friends. If we were, and we went to go see Batman v Superman on opening night, and at some point you mentioned that Superman's hair was bugging you, I'd slap you. Right across the face. Then belittle you for being bothered about such a non-thing.

Since we don't know each other in real life I'll let it slide.

<3

I wouldn't slap you very hard.

Mariolee

Don't worry, they'll CG in the hairline later.
Superman doesn't recede
but Clark Kent does

Pft, that CGI joke sounds familiar.

PFT.

Every time I see this movie talked about outside of movie sites it's referred to as the "Batman movie". It sucks.

Did you stop to think that maybe the gif is just cutting off the "Superman v." part? Unless you're just talking about the fact the gif was cut that way.

IconGrist

Pft, that CGI joke sounds familiar.

PFT.

Did you stop to think that maybe the gif is just cutting off the "Superman v." part? Unless you're just talking about the fact the gif was cut that way.

Well considering the movie is called Batman v Superman, and not Superman v Batman, no.

Compbros

Superman gets to play second fiddle in the sequel to his movie. What a wonderful way to show that DC isn't all about Batman.

Yeah, I'm bitter.

Dead

well not really...yet
What do you mean? That he isn't second fiddle or this isn't a MoS sequel?
This isn't Man of Steel 2, just as it isn't Batman Begins (again)

That movie will come, but for now this is what we have.

I dont think the film will be heavily slanted towards one or the other tbh

Compbros

How isn't it when we've seen images of Anti-Superman signs because of the destruction of Metropolis from Man of Steel? That would mean MoS ties directly into BvS, it appears to be a continuation of MoS dealing with the aftermath of the Kryptonian invasion.

G-Fex

reminder Batman is the cash cow

it's obviously gonna focus mostly on him.

DaveH

http://youtu.be/EOJj2zw2goM

The mission is to go from MoS to BvS to Justice League... and you can't get there unless Superman isn't a rookie anymore.

To date, we know of far more Superman elements being in this film than Batman elements. It has MoS's supporting cast, two Superman locales (Smallville & Metropolis), a Superman villain, new supporting cast whose involvement in the story is largely tied to the events of MoS (like the senator Holly Hunter is playing), and we know that ultimately the film ends allowing us to lead into Justice League... something radical and new for this world, embodying what Superman's debut acted as a catalyst for, rather than what a weary veteran set in his ways would introduce... this is unlikely to be a Batman lead Justice League.

Compbros

http://youtu.be/EOJj2zw2goM

The mission is to go from MoS to BvS to Justice League... and you can't get there unless Superman isn't a rookie anymore.

To date, we know of far more Superman elements being in this film than Batman elements. It has MoS's supporting cast, two Superman locales (Smallville & Metropolis), a Superman villain, new supporting cast whose involvement in the story is largely tied to the events of MoS (like the senator Holly Hunter is playing), and we know that ultimately the film ends allowing us to lead into Justice League... something radical and new for this world, embodying what Superman's debut acted as a catalyst for, rather than what a weary veteran set in his ways would introduce... this is unlikely to be a Batman lead Justice League.

Yet Batman's name is first and they're taking a lot of cues from "The Dark Knight Returns", a story in which Batman "beats" Superman.

Again I say, Superman is playing second fiddle in his sequel, actually, let's change that: Superman is playing second fiddle in the follow up to Man of Steel even though the movie seems to center around him.

Yet Batman's name is first and they're taking a lot of cues from "The Dark Knight Returns", a story in which Batman "beats" Superman.

Again I say, Superman is playing second fiddle in his sequel, actually, let's change that: Superman is playing second fiddle in the follow up to Man of Steel even though the movie seems to center around him.

The only cues they're taking are a big suit, Bruce's regular suit, and maybe a Robin being dead and Carrie Kelley (again, maybe). That's it, some aesthetic cues, a partner name, and Batman's name being first. That's all it's taking to convince you against all evidence otherwise, that's it's totally a Batman movie and Superman's done.

Tabby

But this isn't a sequel to MOS though. MOS is getting it's own sequel later on down the line.

Compbros

The only cues they're taking are a big suit, Bruce's regular suit, and maybe a Robin being dead and Carrie Kelley (again, maybe). That's it, some aesthetic cues, a partner name, and Batman's name being first. That's all it's taking to convince you against all evidence otherwise, that's it's totally a Batman movie and Superman's done.

They've also got the bat symbol and an older/more experienced Bruce Wayne/Batman. I never said it was a Batman movie, I said Superman was playing second fiddle to Batman in his sequel which I then changed to "continuation of his story from Man of Steel".

But this isn't a sequel to MOS though. MOS is getting it's own sequel later on down the line.

Besides the name, why isn't this a sequel? People are picketing Superman because of the Kryptonian invasion from MoS, Lex Luthor is the main villain (as far as we know) and will probably use the Kryptonian invasion as the basis of appealing to Metropolis/his psychosis, and this movie ties into Man of Steel. If you were to take the League away from this movie why would this not be the MoS sequel?

Captain America 3 will still be Cap 3 even though Tony Stark/Iron Man will play a large part in the movie. If Cap 3 tied heavily into Cap 2 the way BvS does to MoS and they called it "Iron Man vs. Captain America: Civil War" I'd be saying the same stuff.

Edit: Man of Steel 2, or whatever it's called, will be less of a direct sequel to MoS than BvS because the fallout from MoS is being addressed/handled in BvS.

Media refer it to the Batman movie because Batman is more popular/well liked than Superman. Coming off Nolan's trilogy being extremely well received, and the past 20 years having atleast 3 times as many Batman films than Superman and Batman comics being the number one selling comics for like the longest time. It will take a lot to surpass Batman being the most popular hero (atleast in America). Hell there's people dressing up like him worldwide. Wolverine, Spiderman and maybe Iron Man are about the only three that come close in likeability. I'd argue that Superman is more recognizable world wide though, both as a symbol of american culture and comic books.

I wouldn't read too much into the media calling it a Batman film.

Batman and Superman are equally iconic, both inside ad outside of America. The thing about Superman is that eveybody is familiar with him, but they don;t now anything about his rougues gallery or extended lore (except for Lex). Batman is insanely popular due to the Joker, Riddler and Robin.

Batman takes up less room on the chyron.

No lie, that's probably all there is to it. The guys in the newsroom aren't editorializing on the nature of the film. They're just trying to get a relatively clutter-free graphics package up on the screen.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Besides the name, why isn't this a sequel?

It's like how Cap 2 is a sequel to first avenger, but avengers follows up with what happens in cap 1.

I was really pissed at this movie too for a long time, until those rumour dates started popping up showing MoS 2 coming later; I'm fine with this movie giving bats top billing as long as it isn't actually MoS 2.

Compbros

It's like how Cap 2 is a sequel to first avenger, but avengers follows up with what happens in cap 1.

I was really pissed at this movie too for a long time, until those rumour dates started popping up showing MoS 2 coming later; I'm fine with this movie giving bats top billing as long as it isn't actually MoS 2.

I don't find that the same since Avengers' main Cap element was the tesseract, there was just as much Iron Man 2 (with Shield) and Thor (with Loki) in there as there was Cap. It was really a movie that took elements from most of the people involved, so while it was a continuation from several movies it didn't center around one of them.

The name may not be "MoS 2" but, again, it will be much more of a MoS sequel than MoS 2. It is, for all intents a purposes, the sequel. Throwing new elements in and not calling it "MoS 2" doesn't make it not a sequel. For example, X-Men: Days of Future's Past is a sequel to First Class even though it has several elements from the original trilogy. All the problems and fallout of First Class was dealt with in DoFP, it is, in essence, the sequel even if it's not so in name.

Edit:
Batman takes up less room on the chyron.

No lie, that's probably all there is to it. The guys in the newsroom aren't editorializing on the nature of the film. They're just trying to get a relatively clutter-free graphics package up on the screen.

I find this logic strange as they have "Batman Street Closures", which is 22 characters, but not "Batman/Superman Filming", which is 23 characters.

Media refer it to the Batman movie because Batman is more popular/well liked than Superman. Coming off Nolan's trilogy being extremely well received, and the past 20 years having atleast 3 times as many Batman films than Superman and Batman comics being the number one selling comics for like the longest time. It will take a lot to surpass Batman being the most popular hero (atleast in America). Hell there's people dressing up like him worldwide. Wolverine, Spiderman and maybe Iron Man are about the only three that come close in likeability. I'd argue that Superman is more recognizable world wide though, both as a symbol of american culture and comic books.

I wouldn't read too much into the media calling it a Batman film.

Superman is still one of the most well known fictional characters in the World and has had the most recent DC movies. Putting "Batman/Superman filming" creates more hype than just "Batman filming" which is funny as they show Superman at that part lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom