• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet Batman's name is first and they're taking a lot of cues from "The Dark Knight Returns", a story in which Batman "beats" Superman.

Again I say, Superman is playing second fiddle in his sequel, actually, let's change that: Superman is playing second fiddle in the follow up to Man of Steel even though the movie seems to center around him.
Did you even watch the video? Snyder says, he's using DKR as reference on what NOT to do with Superman. The movie doesn't "seem to be about", it is about superman. Snyder makes that very clear. MoS was the first half of Superman's Hero's Journey. Heck they chose Man of Steel as title because he hasn't achieved the "Superman" Status. Snyder talked about how the idea of jumping into JL directly after MoS, but he said Clark would have to become the Superman everyone expects before a JL movie

I will say that BvS looks to be more of a Superman film than Cap 3 looks to be a Cap film (as opposed to Avengers 2.5 by another title); the latter sounds like it'll follow through much more directly on AoU than on TWS.

Not that we really know that much about either film, and even less about the latter, mind...

Compbros

Did you even watch the video? Snyder says, he's using DKR as reference on what NOT to do with Superman. The movie doesn't "seem to be about", it is about superman. Snyder makes that very clear. MoS was the first half of Superman's Hero's Journey. Heck they chose Man of Steel as title because he hasn't achieved the "Superman" Status. Snyder talked about how the idea of jumping into JL directly after MoS, but he said Clark would have to become the Superman everyone expects before a JL movie

Superman was done poorly there because of Miller's dislike of the character but the Batman of this movie seems to be heavily inspired by that iteration of the character. Regardless, when did I say how they'd do Superman? I just said he would be playing second fiddle in the continuation of his movie which is correct, judging by this part:

the movie doesn't "seem to be about", it is about superman. Snyder makes that very clear.

So, the movie is about Superman but his name is second and it's a direct continuation of MoS but not the "sequel" so it's fine? Can't agree with that.

Edit: I see, the "taking cues from TDKR" could be me talking about Superman himself. Let me clarify: Batman is heavily influenced by that story and, IIRC, when thinking about a fight between the two they looked at TDKR.

I find this logic strange as they have "Batman Street Closures", which is 22 characters, but not "Batman/Superman Filming", which is 23 characters.

It's not strange logic, its whoever's in the back putting together the package a) not giving much of a shit and b) wanting to type less.

Name of Movie + Reason its news. Shorten name of movie.

It's not like the footage isn't entirely Superman anyway.

Compbros

It's not strange logic, its whoever's in the back putting together the package a) not giving much of a shit and b) wanting to type less.

Name of Movie + Reason its news. Shorten name of movie.

It's not like the footage isn't entirely Superman anyway.

My point being that the full name of the movie is long but Batman/Superman is roughly the same as "Batman Street Closures". You're not getting the correct movie name across by saying "Batman filming", Batman/Superman would be the shorthand of the movie, not "Batman".

My point being that the full name of the movie is long but Batman/Superman is roughly the same as "Batman Street Closures". You're not getting the correct movie name across by saying "Batman filming", Batman/Superman would be the shorthand of the movie, not "Batman".

I know what your point is, I'm telling you that it's way more likely that the people putting the package together probably just didn't give that much of a shit.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I don't find that the same since Avengers' main Cap element was the tesseract, there was just as much Iron Man 2 (with Shield) and Thor (with Loki) in there as there was Cap. It was really a movie that took elements from most of the people involved, so while it was a continuation from several movies it didn't center around one of them.

It doesn't matter what elements it took, avengers follows first avenger, all of the movies are sequels to each other, the ensemble titles just mean there is more than one character focus.
Dawn of justice follows MoS, but supes isn't the sole focus, so titling it MoS2 would be wrong cause it's not a MoS movie regardless of what events it's following up from.

That's like saying X comic book, should be called Y comic book, just because the events from Y lead into X (every comic book event ever).

strafer

I want more epic walks.

clarkcape1orb1.gif

clarkwalk4lrct.gif

Compbros

I know what your point is, I'm telling you that it's way more likely that the people putting the package together probably just didn't give that much of a shit.

Yeah, you're probably right.

It doesn't matter what elements it took, avengers follows first avenger, all of the movies are sequels to each other, the ensemble titles just mean there is more than one character focus.
Dawn of justice follows MoS, but supes isn't the sole focus, so titling it MoS2 would be wrong cause it's not a MoS movie regardless of what events it's following up from.

That's like saying X comic book, should be called Y comic book, just because the events from Y lead into X (every comic book event ever).

He's not the sole focus but neither was Tony in Iron Man 2 as Shield and War Machine played significant roles in it. Shield also plays a significant role in Cap 2, it's still the Cap movie. Focus may not solely be on the main or titular character but they're the main focus. With everything seemingly being the continuation of MoS and the Superman villain being the main villain (more than likely) then I have no reason to believe that Supes wouldn't be the main focus of the movie. They're going to introduce Bats/WoWo/Cy/AM into Superman's World and the fallout of his actions from MoS.

No, I'm saying that just because a movie is not titled as a sequel doesn't mean it's not the sequel. I see this as the Man of Steel sequel, even if it's not "MoS 2" or "Man of Tomorrow" or what have you.

Let me ask, why don't you believe this is a sequel?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
He's not the sole focus but neither was Tony in Iron Man 2 as Shield and War Machine played significant roles in it. Shield also plays a significant role in Cap 2, it's still the Cap movie. Focus may not solely be on the main or titular character but they're the main focus. With everything seemingly being the continuation of MoS and the Superman villain being the main villain (more than likely) then I have no reason to believe that Supes wouldn't be the main focus of the movie. They're going to introduce Bats/WoWo/Cy/AM into Superman's World and the fallout of his actions from MoS.

No, I'm saying that just because a movie is not titled as a sequel doesn't mean it's not the sequel. I see this as the Man of Steel sequel, even if it's not "MoS 2" or "Man of Tomorrow" or what have you.

Let me ask, why don't you believe this is a sequel?

War machine is part of the Iron Man universe, shield is a giant entity in all of marvel, they have been every main comic book, so I really don't regard their presence as some sort of secondary character, they are just a presence that can pop up whenever the writers feel like it.

But this isn't a sequel to MOS though. MOS is getting it's own sequel later on down the line.

I don't get how they're gonna do this without confusing people. BVS looks like it'll take place at some date in the future, while MOS2 would (likely) need to take place sometime shortly after MOS (if only to explain how Metropolis gets rebuilt after being so thoroughly destroyed).

Hopefully they can pull it off.

I don't get how they're gonna do this without confusing people. BVS looks like it'll take place at some date in the future, while MOS2 would (likely) need to take place sometime shortly after MOS (if only to explain how Metropolis gets rebuilt after being so thoroughly destroyed).

Isn't Batman v. Superman taking place after MoS? Why would they do a timehop like that between the two movies?

If/When an actual MoS2 happens, it will absolutely take place after BvS, and probably after Justice League. I still don't see how we're getting a standalone Superman or Batman movie, though, unless these guys want to spend every day of their lives on this shit for the next few years.

Effect

But this isn't a sequel to MOS though. MOS is getting it's own sequel later on down the line.

I think it's wrong to say this as we need to start looking at this in bigger terms. In terms of the overall universe it is indeed a sequel to Man of Steel. It's the same way Captain America 2, Thor 2, and Iron Man 3 were sequels to Avengers 1. Those films deal with the fallout of Avengers just as BvS will deal with the fallout of MoS. When we're dealing with a universe like this the normal sequel counting or lumping things into trilogies no longer apply. What this isn't is Man of Steel 2 in that it doesn't focus exclusively on on Superman. Story wise it is a sequel to the events of Man of Steel but the focus is more broad.

I think the general public can grasp that as long as it's said that BvS is a story sequel to Man of Steel and a solo film will come later.

Isn't Batman v. Superman taking place after MoS? Why would they do a timehop like that between the two movies?

I'm just guessing that BVS takes place in a more distant future since:

A) The Dark Knight Returns (which this movie seems to be drawing inspiration from) takes place when both Batman and Superman are older, and

B) Superman looks like he's got grey/white hair on the sides toward the front (on his temples) in the released promotional shot (though that may just be the lighting). His hair was jet black in MOS.

I may very well be wrong, and kinda hope I am.

A) The Dark Knight Returns (which this movie seems to be drawing inspiration from) takes place when both Batman and Superman are older, and

B) Superman looks like he's got grey/white hair on the sides in the released promotional shot (though that may just be the lighting.

Think you're wrong. Who knows how long after MoS it takes place, but not crazy long. Bruce is going to be older than Clark.

B) Superman looks like he's got grey/white hair on the sides toward the front (on his temples) in the released promotional shot (though that may just be the lighting). His hair was jet black in MOS.

Nah, it's just the lighting. I think the inspiration from DKR is all being put towards Batman - rough, experienced, dead Robin or two, maybe Carrie Kelley.

EDIT: Like Compbros said, people are picketing Superman in this. It'll be a fairly short time after MoS.

IconGrist

I would bet all of these movies have one or two major arcs that are fleshed out through out the entire list of movies. MoS2 may heavily focus on the events of JL Part 1 rather then turn the clock back to MoS.

Saying BvS isn't a sequel to Man of Steel just seems like semantics. It follows it directly. Plot details of Man of Steel are showing up in BvS. What doesn't make BvS a sequel?

Penguin

Saying BvS isn't a sequel to Man of Steel just seems like semantics. It follows it directly. Plot details of Man of Steel are showing up in BvS. What doesn't make BvS a sequel?

Really is an argument of semantics.

I think ultimately what people are trying to determine is should Superman get top billing or not for this film.

And really, I don't think it matters

It could be because Batman is more popular

Or it could be because they wanted to go alphabetically.

This is a direct follow-up to Man of Steel while not necessarily a direct solo sequel for Superman which will come later.

RELIGHT

Banned
Yet Batman's name is first and they're taking a lot of cues from "The Dark Knight Returns", a story in which Batman "beats" Superman.

Again I say, Superman is playing second fiddle in his sequel, actually, let's change that: Superman is playing second fiddle in the follow up to Man of Steel even though the movie seems to center around him.

Actually the fact that Supermans name is second means that he's the HOME TEAM so to speak. It means Batman is in Supermans movie.

I don't understand how this timeline thing is confusing people.

MoS - > BVS -> JL

The only thing I find confusing is who's going to be in justice league. Cyborg is heavily hinted to be in JL, but doesn't receive his film until after Shazam (who I'm assuming won't be in JL1), Green Lantern also won't make an appearance until 2020.

I think the immediate outcome of BvS plays into JL (bigger threat/cliffhanger at the end of BvS). Batman, Superman, WW, Aquaman seem to be atleast locked down for JL at this point, with Cyborg and Flash seem incredibly likely.

Pachimari

Isn't Batman just first in the title, because they are doing it in alphabetical order?

I don't think there's more to it than that.

Arbitrary Nomenclature, and people being deliberately dense. BvS is the direct follow up MoS, then JL is the follow up of BvS and maybe WW. From there we spin off into the standalone adventures.

Compbros

Isn't Batman just first in the title, because they are doing it in alphabetical order?

I don't think there's more to it than that.

Then all Superman/Batman things would've been named like that. The original Superman/Batman comic was just that but the New 52 comic is Batman/Superman. Not to mention all Superman/Batman animated movies have been named such. There was a Batman/Superman cartoon long ago but I think it was named like that because B:TAS came out before S:TAS. It's mostly been Superman/Batman though until recently.

Compbros

World's Finest forever >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than all this silly slash business.

World's Finest now refers to the Huntress/Power Girl comics much like Ms. Marvel no longer refers to Carol Danvers. It's technically not for Superman and Batman anymore.

Compbros

I really don't like Affleck as batman. They should've found a high caliber actor who wasn't Hollywood star yet.

Like Brandon Routh as Superman? Why should it matter who the actor is as long as they do a good job? Because some people can't get past the fact that they're looking at "Ben Affleck" or something? That's their hang up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom