• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

moL3OZb.png

Batman gonna smang. Now we know why there's a "Vs" in the title.
We already knew!

ryan299

So take this with a grain of salt but I'm seeing on twitter that this movie has now been split into two parts.

First part titled, Enter the Knight is coming this October 22\3

Second is Dawn of Justice coming on the March they already announced.

News is based on a reddit user who saw the teaser. Theres an image with it.
http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/01/rumor-batman-v-superman-split-into-two-movies/

LIke I said take it with a grain of salt but holy shit if true. Could be true considering there was a 10 month long shoot for the movie which is ridiculous.

The only releases on October 23 are Jem and The Last witch hunter. Not sure the size of those movies.

Edit: I wrote Oct 22 it was the 23, my fault. 23 is a Friday.

IconGrist

So take this with a grain of salt but I'm seeing on twitter that this movie has now been split into two parts.

First part titled, Enter the Knight is coming this October 22

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/01/rumor-batman-v-superman-split-into-two-movies/

LIke I said take it with a grain of salt but holy shit if true. Could be true considering there was a 10 month long shoot for the movie which is ridiculous. Also theres not big releases on Oct 23 there seems.

No fuckin way.

strafer

LIke I said take it with a grain of salt but holy shit if true. Could be true considering there was a 10 month long shoot for the movie which is ridiculous. Also theres not big releases on Oct 23 there seems.

Exit, light
Enter, night
Take my hand
We're off to never-never land

Raptor

:O

I'm not buying it as of now. One of the easiest ways to get enthusiast press to run your bullshit is take a screencap of something blurry on a screen, at an angle, and come up with a story as to why you did that.

Also, bypassing enthusiast press entirely and going straight to reddit is typically not a good sign.

Also seems weird that there's no Bat/S logo there.

I mean, maybe it's real. But so far it's ticking all the boxes of "decently thought out fake"

Ahasverus

I'm....... Ok with this? I prefer it over a Dark Knight Rises situation, gives plenty of breathing room for characters and.. Let's be honest, 2 2:30 hours long movies of BvS in the same year sounds awesome

Platy

That is a pretty lame font use on that pic

IconGrist

Says in the quote that he has an iphone recorded version of the teaser but he'll never distribute it. That was the only "bullshit" check mark I needed. They always say that and it's always nonsense.

It's almost always that exact same angle, too. Weird.

It's like there's a strategy .doc or something for this shit.

edit: Also, October 22nd is a Thursday. Movies don't release on Thursdays. Even movies that have Thursday previews/midnight screenings are dated for the Friday following.

Could they really do this? I mean, there really aren't any major blockbusters in October which would give them a whole month to themselves. Still, this would literally come out of nowhere.

IconGrist

edit: Also, October 22nd is a Thursday. Movies don't release on Thursdays. Even movies that have Thursday previews/midnight screenings are dated for the Friday following.

Article says the 23rd, unless I missed something.

SJRB

Gold Member
FerNFTT.png

...I'm okay with a two-parter. This is your chance to create a franchise that could run for 10 years, Snyder. Set this stuff up proper.

Kal1138

Neo Member

I know ryan299 in his post said Oct. 22nd, but the image actually has 23rd as the date. Still... I doubt it's real. We probably would have heard something by now and I don't know if it's something they'd keep as a secret for so long. However, there were rumors of BVS and JL filming back to back. Maybe that was true in a way, but it was actually BVS being a two part movie. You never know, but again... I doubt it.

Penguin

Oh man, I'll entertain it because bored...

But from a purely marketing standpoint, it seems silly to announce this so late into the game.

Nor do I understand what they would necessarily gain from it.

Other than money, but do think really need to nail BvS since some fans are shaky after MoS

OldRoutes

This thing is going to be either the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Yes. Those are exciting times for sure.

If I went back in time and told my 10 years old self that we'd be having a Batman VS Superman crossover movie, I'd never believe it.

Now maybe TWO movies?

Ahasverus

One could hope, but I highly doubt it. Besides, late October seems such a weird time to release a tentpole film.
Thr Hunger Games?

I think if this HAPPENED, that would show they have amazing confidence on its quality, people won't show up for a 2nd part if the first super sucks.

ryan299

I know ryan299 in his post said Oct. 22nd, but the image actually has 23rd as the date. Still... I doubt it's real. We probably would have heard something by now and I don't know if it's something they'd keep as a secret for so long. However, there were rumors of BVS and JL filming back to back. Maybe that was true in a way, but it was actually BVS being a two part movie. You never know, but again... I doubt it.

Yeah I typed the wrong date. I changed it.

Probably is fake but the film shot for 10 months. WB did use extra footage from the Hobbit production to create a 3rd movie. They could have done that for this film and have been keeping the news for when the trailer drops, however unlikely it is.

I wouldn't mind a first part that comes this year, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I mean, they can heavily inspired by justice league: origin (the first volume of new 52 justice league) and have a great movie which introduces the character and has a reason for justice league to be formed.

suaveric

Interesting. The Batman On Film podcast from last week was cryptic about something regarding Batman and that could line up with this rumor. They mentioned that a decision had been recently reached about the DCCU. They also hinted that Batfleck would be around for one more movie than had been announced.

Announced Batman movies are BvS, JL 1 & 2, plus one solo film. If they split up BvS, that could be what Batman on Film was hinting at. That also goes back almost a year to rumors that they were filming two movies back to back while they were making BvS.

Eh. Justice League is already being split into 2 parts. Plus the mountain of films that will be following Justice League as it is. I can't imagine, especially after the dent to the goodwill that the Hobbit took when it went from 2 movies to 3 just before the first came out, that Warner Brothers would be willing to stretch out what's essentially the prelude to Justice League for 4 hours.

I mean, yeah, sticking Batman v Superman in late October might be a savvy move, scheduling-wise, in that there isn't a tentpole there usually, and if you can lay claim to a relatively competition-free series of weekends, do it. But that means post-production has less than a year to wrap up a Batman/Superman crossover for release in 2015.

It seems a lot more plausible that some dink with a couple hours free time mocked up a fake title card, put it on his monitor, took a picture of his monitor, and posted it to Reddit, than the idea WB is going to split Batman v. Superman in two.

Ahasverus

9 months wait :p
Please be true. Even if it isn't /yet/, please Warner, you did this with The Hobbit, do it now that it makes sense!

So I searched on Google for the quote "I have an iPhone video of the teaser trailer (it has updated since, but close with most things), and no, I will never distribute it, but I will offer this screen shot," and the only result was from the article linked above, which doesn't name the reddit user or link to the post. Either that site just made it up for hits, or this is the worst reporting ever.

So I searched on Google for the quote "I have an iPhone video of the teaser trailer (it has updated since, but close with most things), and no, I will never distribute it, but I will offer this screen shot," and the only result was from the article linked above, which doesn't name the reddit user or link to the post. Either that site just made it up for hits, or this is the worst reporting ever.

It's ManaByte's site, isn't it?

JdFoX187

Banned
Thr Hunger Games?

I think if this HAPPENED, that would show they have amazing confidence on its quality, people won't show up for a 2nd part if the first super sucks.
The Hunger Games released in March and November respectively. That weekend of October is usually reserved for some low budget horror dreck.

No weirder than March.

300 proved March could be a viable launching point for tentpoles.

Yeah, reverse searching the image only leads to the Imgur site of the alleged reddit poster with the same description.

hobbit 3 makes a shit-ton of money right now.

They've all made a shit-ton of money. But not as much as they wanted. All three movies have been slightly disappointing from both the financial AND the critical standpoint. The quality of the three films has more to do with that audience flagging, sure, but the general sense of fatigue regarding the series kicked in shortly after Jackson announced he was going to turn 2 films into 3.

I'm not saying there still aren't a lot of people who like the films. I'm saying that number has decreased, though.

The circumstances are also a little different. Warners knew The Hobbit was their last chance at doing anything in Tolkien's world, so they can afford to risk a little more - maybe they lose goodwill and audience, but they have a whole third movie of profits.

They can't really risk that goodwill for Batman v. Superman, which is just the first of a planned 10-15 film series. It absolutely HAS to land. Diminishing the goodwill for it up front is suddenly a much mor serious probability.

Sephzilla

And Enter The Knight is such a stupid name.

Dawn of Justice is way cooler.

Huh, it's almost the complete opposite for me, I think Enter the Knight is a little better. Actually I think Enter the Knight would work better if this movie was titled "Man of Steel: Enter the Knight". "Batman vs Superman: Enter the Knight" seems a little redundant I guess, Dawn of Justice works better with the BvS name.

Neither of these titles are Worlds Finest though.

suaveric

Yeah, I don't buy this at all. You can't just suddenly release a major film like this with only 10 months notice.

Eh, that's plenty of time really. It would be almost a whole 12 months since production wrapped, which is enough time for the FX to be done. The marketing machine for movies of this size only really start about 10-12 months from release, so if they announce the movie this month with a trailer that would not be far off from normal.

Plus we know that there are a lof of characters in this movie, people have already been worried that this movie was going to be over-stuffed with things to kick start the DCCU. So why not split it into two parts? WB has shown they have no problems doing that with other movies.

It makes a lot of sense. The good news is either way, we should know ASAP.

First part titled, Enter the Knight is coming this October 22\3

LIke I said take it with a grain of salt but holy shit if true. Could be true considering there was a 10 month long shoot for the movie which is ridiculous.

The only releases on October 23 are Jem and The Last witch hunter. Not sure the size of those movies.

Edit: I wrote Oct 22 it was the 23, my fault. 23 is a Friday.
tumblr_myvv07At841rmin5no1_400.gif

Ahasverus

They've all made a shit-ton of money. But not as much as they wanted. All three movies have been slightly disappointing from both the financial AND the critical standpoint. The quality of the three films has more to do with that audience flagging, sure, but the general sense of fatigue regarding the series kicked in shortly after Jackson announced he was going to turn 2 films into 3.

I'm not saying there still aren't a lot of people who like the films. I'm saying that number has decreased, though.

The circumstances are also a little different. Warners knew The Hobbit was their last chance at doing anything in Tolkien's world, so they can afford to risk a little more - maybe they lose goodwill and audience, but they have a whole third movie of profits.

They can't really risk that goodwill for Batman v. Superman, which is just the first of a planned 10-15 film series. It absolutely HAS to land. Diminishing the goodwill for it up front is suddenly a much mor serious probability.
What if the movie is very good and it needs it? You might argue TDKR needed it, and they do 't want to repeat the same mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom