• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would cutting it into two parts make it bad? The story's either good or it isn't. Watching it all at once isn't going to change that.

Erm, WHAT?

It will change it for the same reason that taking a year break in the intermission segment of Lawrence of Arabia is a bad idea. You ruin the narrative and emotional journey of the audience.

It's a bad trend. I still remember GAFers suggesting TDKR should have been split in two. lol for what?

a916

Why would cutting it into two parts make it bad? The story's either good or it isn't. Watching it all at once isn't going to change that.

If you watched Hobbit, you would know how cutting a movie into two isn't a good thing. It ruined the climax of the 2nd film and it ruined the majority of the third. The climax of Smaug was ruined because everything was built, the emotional connection, a year ago and the payoff happens a year later. It wreaks havoc on the pacing and just doesn't make for an enjoyable experience.

The story may remain unchanged, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing that could affect the quality of split into two.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Erm, WHAT?

It will change it for the same reason that taking a year break in the intermission segment of Lawrence of Arabia is a bad idea. You ruin the narrative and emotional journey of the audience.

It's a bad trend. I still remember GAFers suggesting TDKR should have been split in two. lol for what?

Oh please. Didn't hurt Deathly Hallows' box office one bit. If WB has a winner on their hands and they want to get a jump on things by releasing what's essentially an Extended Edition in two parts, and they want to do it by releasing the first part five months earlier than the previously announced release date, I don't see a down side to that.

That is, if this were actually real, which I don't believe it is.

If you watched Hobbit, you would know how cutting a movie into two isn't a good thing. It ruined the climax of the 2nd film and it ruined the majority of the third. The climax of Smaug was ruined because everything was built, the emotional connection, a year ago and the payoff happens a year later. It wreaks havoc on the pacing and just doesn't make for an enjoyable experience.

The story may remain unchanged, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing that could affect the quality of split into two.

While I take your point, there is a lot more wrong with the Hobbit films than just where they broke the story up into three pieces.

Magwik

Banned
Enter The Knight being a movie on it's own? Ehhh if true sounds like it could be bad. But as a digital short that covers Batman and takes place between MoS and BvS? That could work

a916

While I take your point, there is a lot more wrong with the Hobbit films than just where they broke the story up into three pieces.

Most definitely. I agree with you there. It really comes down to how the movie is (which no one outside of WB really knows...). I'm a bit more hesistant about splitting a movie in 2 because I JUST watched The Hobbit lol.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Enter The Knight being a movie on it's own? Ehhh if true sounds like it could be bad. But as a digital short that covers Batman and takes place between MoS and BvS? That could work

It's not a Batman origin story.

Most definitely. I agree with you there. It really comes down to how the movie is (which no one outside of WB really knows...). I'm a bit more hesistant about splitting a movie in 2 because I JUST watched The Hobbit lol.

Understood. Look, I hated MoS and have little faith in Snyder as a director, but even I don't think Snyder would bungle his pacing and story beats as hard as Jackson did in the Hobbit films. Snyder & Co. know they need to hit this one out of the park, and based on some of the stuff I've seen and read, I think they'll deliver.

By the way, Dave Gonzales at Latino-Review says he doesn't believe this is true either, mostly because he bought the url batmanvsupermanentertheknight.com this morning :)

I hope this is true, but it probably isn't.

If it is true, it's going to be confirmed pretty quickly. I'd say if it's not confirmed in a few days, it's fake.

As far as a late-in-the-game split, the original Superman movie was split into two movies during its filming, too. It's not a new thing. The atomic bomb at the beginning of Superman II which frees the Phantom Zone criminals was originally going to be the missle that Superman deflects at the end of Superman I. And thus they needed some dramatic ending for Superman I, hence Lois' death and the time travel bit.

pulga

Banned
Anybody made a thread for it yet? There needs to be a thread!!!! And change your avatars to floating cavill and Affleck heads too Yall

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I thank the seven there aren't overenthusiastic DC fans on GAF.

If it is true, it's going to be confirmed pretty quickly. I'd say if it's not confirmed in a few days, it's fake.

I dunno - the URLs make a pretty convincing case.

The one in the image links back to a fan-site.
the one new title we got was unsecured, and then purchased by one of the Latino-Review writers this morning.

If this was a thing they were planning, I'd imagine both those URLs would have been purchased by now.

Everything about this basically points to someone trying to pull a fast one on ManaByte, him deciding to run it anyway with a bunch of caveats that it might be fake, and then a bunch of other enthusiast press seeing that it'll get hits and running the same thing.

the original Superman movie was split into two movies during its filming, too.

That's actually not the case. Salkind's always planned on there being two Superman movies, and Donner was shooting both simultaneously. What happened there is sort of the inverse of what's being discussed here - The Salkinds/Warners made Donner stop production on what remained of Superman II specifically to ensure Superman: The Movie hit its release date.

Is that so far from 'Dawn of Justice'? I mean... I don't believe this is real, but that's not the thing that makes it unbelievable.

Dawn of Justice is a pretty terrible title too, I'll give you that. But, Enter the Knight manages to outdo it in terribleness. And it immediately brings to mind visions of Superman doing things to Batman that I don't think the Dark Knights human body could handle.

I dunno - the URLs make a pretty convincing case.

The one in the image links back to a fan-site.
the one new title we got was unsecured, and then purchased by one of the Latino-Review writers this morning.

If this was a thing they were planning, I'd imagine both those URLs would have been purchased by now.

Everything about this basically points to someone trying to pull a fast one on ManaByte, him deciding to run it anyway with a bunch of caveats that it might be fake, and then a bunch of other enthusiast press seeing that it'll get hits and running the same thing.

That's actually not the case. Salkind's always planned on there being two Superman movies, and Donner was shooting both simultaneously. What happened there is sort of the inverse of what's being discussed here - The Salkinds/Warners made Donner stop production on what remained of Superman II specifically to ensure Superman: The Movie hit its release date.

Like I said, I think it's fake.

As far as Superman I and II, perhaps it was split before filming, but that was certainly one script at some point and not two.

jett

D-Member
Oh please. Didn't hurt Deathly Hallows' box office one bit. If WB has a winner on their hands and they want to get a jump on things by releasing what's essentially an Extended Edition in two parts, and they want to do it by releasing the first part five months earlier than the previously announced release date, I don't see a down side to that.

That is, if this were actually real, which I don't believe it is.

Why should we care about studio financials? We should care about getting a good movie, one that isn't artificially chopped up in parts.

Please tell me exactly why Dawn of Justice is a terrible title? Because I don't see it.

It makes it seem like it's going to be a set up for Justice League more than a great standalone story about Batman and Superman. And we've seen that thing done terribly already with Iron Man 2.

I've always wanted to try something like this, cook up some image/story, make it look semi-legit, release it, and just let people go nuts. I dunno if I could though.

As far as Superman I and II, perhaps it was split before filming, but that was certainly one script at some point and not two.

It was one script back when Puzo turned in a draft. I believe somewhere in pre-production the Salkinds decided they wanted it to be 2 movies, and Mankiewicz had to take the ending from Superman II and stick it on Superman I, and by the time they got around to finishing Superman II, he and Donner had been bounced already.

But they started shooting knowing they were making 2 movies at once, I'm pretty sure.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Please tell me exactly why Dawn of Justice is a terrible title? Because I don't see it.

It's such a meaningless generic title. Is 'Justice' just starting? Did the concept of 'justice' not exist before this? Ohhhh you mean the JUSTICE LEAGUE. Oh, so it's just them going *nudge nudge wink wink* "HEY! Juuuuustice leaaaaaague."

If they had just left it at Batman v Superman, that would be fine. The 'Dawn of Justice' adds nothing. It's like 'Reckoning' or something equally lame. Not to make overt comparisons to Marvel, but 'The Winter Soldier' or 'Civil War' are far more effective subtitles.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's such a meaningless generic title. Is 'Justice' just starting? Did the concept of 'justice' not exist before this? Ohhhh you mean the JUSTICE LEAGUE. Oh, so it's just them going *nudge nudge wink wink* "HEY! Juuuuustice leaaaaaague."

If they had just left it at Batman v Superman, that would be fine. The 'Dawn of Justice' adds nothing. It's like 'Reckoning' or something equally lame.

Captain America: The First Avenger.

growing up with giant monster movies has ruined batman v superman as a title for me. Now I want some giant batman and superman robots or rodan or something

Fake or not, this seems like something WB would do.
-They delayed HP6 3 months before release so they could release closer to HP7
-The Hobbit went from 2 Parts to 3 Parts.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Captain America: The First Avenger.

Yup. And that was dumb too. It atleast wasn't stupidly vague, but it too was very much *nudge nudge wink wink*

But then they follow it up with 'Winter Soldier', 'Civil War', 'The Dark World', 'Ragnarok', 'Age of Ultron', 'Infinity War'... Stuff that atleast feels specific about what it's about.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yup. And that was dumb too. It atleast wasn't stupidly vague, but it too was very much *nudge nudge wink wink*

But then they follow it up with 'Winter Soldier', 'Civil War', 'The Dark World', 'Ragnarok', 'Age of Ultron', 'Infinity War'... Stuff that atleast feels specific about what it's about.

Aye.

Batman vs Superman is a great title in that it tells you who the film is about, sets up the theme, and has a 'fanbase vs fanbase' attitude. Dawn of Justice... it's on the nose, and feels like filler.

Ahasverus

When your movie is named "Batman vs. Superman" like some schoolyard fanfic anything else goes.
I seriously can't think of another title with Batman and Superman without sounding corny. "Superman: Into the Dark", " Batman:fall of superman", "Batman: Red sun", " Man of Steel: Mask of Darkness".

See, BvS is just fine.

growing up with giant monster movies has ruined batman v superman as a title for me. Now I want some giant batman and superman robots or rodan or something

I feel like that's exactly the reason I'm okay with it; I grew up seeing all these titles on VHS boxes so "Batman vs. Superman" is whatever. The subtitle is still silly though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom