• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought that said alan scott eastwood.

He looks like he could play a super hero. We're basically down to Hal and Shazam now eh? Of those two he looks more like Hal. Then again we basically have like 5 or so empty slots for potential villains. (Flash could potentially have multiple villains, Aquaman Orm/Oceanmaster, WW could have cheetah, ares or circes, Batman/MoS solo, don't know who will play Brainiac, GL's villain (though they should get Mark Strong back)).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Supposedly, this is a shirt worn by Batman v Superman film crew members:

B70hL_xIAAA2wHT.jpg

Baman in his Hulkbuster suit.

Pachimari

This hype is making me wanna watch Man of Steel. I have seen it twice but never to the end. Maybe only the first half hour. Yeah, I'm gonna watch it today.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Riddler or Scarecrow perhaps ?

Scarecrow has been done. Riddler, maybe.

I would say Court of Owls. Or something like Black Mask coming into the picture, taking control of all the crime families and using their resources to launch a bunch of supervillains at Batman (think Arkham Origins without the stupid twist).

Fits nicely. If that Joker bit is true, that makes sense.
Though I'd rather a solo Batman movie be about someone else... Atleast for the first one. Or Joker is just part of it.
Red Hood.

Makes for an absolute perfect first movie villain.
Flashbacks that build up the DCCU(especially with us starting late in Batman's career), "new" villain, gets Joker in there for WB but in a side/subvillain role.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Red Hood.

Makes for an absolute perfect first movie villain.
Flashbacks that build up the DCCU(especially with us starting late in Batman's career), "new" villain, gets Joker in there for WB but in a side/subvillain role.

We're still too close to Winter Soldier for the reveal to not feel redundant. It would fit with the Joker's role, but I dunno...

We're still too close to Winter Soldier for the reveal to not feel redundant. It would fit with the Joker's role, but I dunno...

Idk, if they didn't play up the twist too much I think it could work.
Red Hood would also have a different style role so it wouldn't be a repeat of Winter Soldier either.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Idk, if they didn't play up the twist too much I think it could work.
Red Hood would also have a different style role so it wouldn't be a repeat of Winter Soldier either.

I just would want some distance from the Joker. I mean... by the time this happens, it'll have been 10 years since Dark Knight, but still, we'll only have had one Batman movie in-between with different villains (Bane, Catwoman, Talia).

I don't want it to be like the Spider-Man movies where literally every other movie has had Green Goblin.

Scarecrow has been done. Riddler, maybe.

I would say Court of Owls. Or something like Black Mask coming into the picture, taking control of all the crime families and using their resources to launch a bunch of supervillains at Batman (think Arkham Origins without the stupid twist).

CoTO is my choice as well. Batman films should be mysteries, not martial arts action flick (though the Talons could fill in that role quite easily). Long Halloween or Hush would also be a nice choice, though Halloween would be hard to convert to a film considering how many time jumps there are.

Though after reading Zero Year, Riddler could be a great villain if written well.

Just really want to see the detective aspect of Batman. Nolan's films touched on it so little with the ballistics test but we need more than that.

CoTO is my choice as well. Batman films should be mysteries, not martial arts action flick (though the Talons could fill in that role quite easily). Long Halloween or Hush would also be a nice choice, though Halloween would be hard to convert to a film considering how many time jumps there are.

Though after reading Zero Year, Riddler could be a great villain if written well.

Just really want to see the detective aspect of Batman. Nolan's films touched on it so little with the ballistics test but we need more than that.

Riddler strikes me as an extremely difficult villain to write well. His whole schtick is basically that he's desperate for people to acknowledge his genius, but unlike most such characters, he really is the smartest man in the room (when that room doesn't contain Batman). Most writers accomplish this by dumbing down everyone that isn't Batman or the Riddler, but that's extremely unconvincing. Couple that with the fact that he relies on tests of wit and word games rather than mad science (mostly), and you really do need a writer as clever as the character is supposed to be.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Hush is fucking nonsensical. Narratively, its nothing but a bunch of random villain cameos, connected by a shoestring by Jeph Loeb desperately trying to justify who Jim Lee felt like drawing at the time. The mystery to it is fucking bananas.

I want Court of Owls for the next solo Batman movie. This way we can see the martial arts master, detective, full of gadgets (they aren't into the story so much but they can add them very easily) Batman. We didn't see the first two aspects of the character so much in Nolan's trilogy.

Hush is fucking nonsensical. Narratively, its nothing but a bunch of random villain cameos, connected by a shoestring by Jeph Loeb desperately trying to justify who Jim Lee felt like drawing at the time. The mystery to it is fucking bananas.

ah, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, just heard good things about it (though it seems divisive). If it's going to be a good film, no matter the comic it is adaptating, it should take the beats of a story and work itself within that frame, rather than doing a 1:1 approach.

I could see Under the Red Hood working if they alter some aspects of the story. I can't imagine there being more than two Robins to the mainstream audience (would likely be Dick and Kelley), so they could explain why Robin is a girl (IIRC we're getting a girl robin for BvS) instead of a boy (as people usually see them), so Dick (or alternatively Jason) would be the one killed. Otherwise they have to introduce all the other Robins (which could be a burden for writers). and I'm not sure if that would add anything to the story, we don't even know the scope of WB's plans for DCU and we already know there is a Titans show in the work for TNT. I'm a little skeptical we'll get much of the Bat Family, WB might be tepid on it after the B&R movie, and would like to test the waters first with BvS.

Shaanyboi

Banned
ah, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, just heard good things about it (though it seems divisive). If it's going to be a good film, no matter the comic it is adaptating, it should take the beats of a story and work itself within that frame, rather than doing a 1:1 approach.

I could see Under the Red Hood working if they alter some aspects of the story. I can't imagine there being more than two Robins to the mainstream audience (would likely be Dick and Kelley), so they could explain why Robin is a girl (IIRC we're getting a girl robin for BvS) instead of a boy (as people usually see them), so Dick (or alternatively Jason) would be the one killed. Otherwise they have to introduce all the other Robins (which could be a burden for writers). and I'm not sure if that would add anything to the story, we don't even know the scope of WB's plans for DCU and we already know there is a Titans show in the work for TNT. I'm a little skeptical we'll get much of the Bat Family, WB might be tepid on it after the B&R movie, and would like to test the waters first with BvS.

WB needs to stop being fucking cowards about it and just embrace the Bat Family. Whether it be classic Robin (Dick) and Batgirl (Barbara), or Nightwing, Oracle, Robin (Tim), Batgirl (Steph) and Red Hood - whatever. But if they continue to shy away from that stuff, it just makes them look completely afraid of their own source material. There are other Batman books out there than Dark Knight Returns.

WB needs to stop being fucking cowards about it and just embrace the Bat Family. Whether it be classic Robin (Dick) and Batgirl (Barbara), or Nightwing, Oracle, Robin (Tim), Batgirl (Steph) and Red Hood - whatever. But if they continue to shy away from that stuff, it just makes them look completely afraid of their own source material. There are other Batman books out there than Dark Knight Returns.

well it is dc

Penguin

It is both funny/sad

That the three-year wait is almost down to a year.. since means its been a long road, but still a long road to go! :(

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It is both funny/sad

That the three-year wait is almost down to a year.. since means its been a long road, but still a long road to go! :(
Tell me about. I've never anticipated a film more. Wish I could buy my IMAX ticket right now!

Blader

I know I'm in the minority about this, but I don't care about seeing or even really want to see any Bat-family members. I prefer my Batman movies with him running solo. I liked what Nolan did with Blake and Selina in TDKR, but that's probably about as far as I'd like to see it go.

I don't think many people would care about the source material other than comic fans. I'd love to see the Bat fam so long as they were introduced in a manner that makes sense to the story. I'm really hoping we're introduced to comic book batman crazy gadgets and all with clayface and other more supernatural bat villains.

Batman is a little different than most heroes in that he has a legacy in place, people associate Robin with Burt Ward and campiness. It doesn't help that the Arkham Games have solidified this view as well (that Robin is integral to Batman). Hell it took until Origins to establish that Alfred is important to Bruce. They need a solid script to flesh out the concept of robin and his/her relation to Batman. Typically they'd be shown as emotional support or basically the element that prevents Bruce from becoming full on Batman, rather than his lackey he barks orders at.

I think the best route to go is if some Batman films were chronological prequels to BvS. In fact I think all the solo movies should be mostly independent stories. I don't think a story like Under the Red Hood or Killing Joke or anything like that could pay off without establishing his universe first and the characters. I don't think people who give a shit if Barbara was shot 30 minutes after she was introduced. Rachael Dawes in TDK paid off well because audiences felt she was an important character and therefore immune to danger.

I know I'm in the minority about this, but I don't care about seeing or even really want to see any Bat-family members. I prefer my Batman movies with him running solo. I liked what Nolan did with Blake and Selina in TDKR, but that's probably about as far as I'd like to see it go.

You're not really the minority. Most casual batfans (played some arkham games, watch nolan's trilogy, maybe some TAS) share the same opinion as well. I feel that just jumping into the Bat Family without some history is going to be a hard sell when it comes to tying the audiences emotions to them.

I just would want some distance from the Joker. I mean... by the time this happens, it'll have been 10 years since Dark Knight, but still, we'll only have had one Batman movie in-between with different villains (Bane, Catwoman, Talia).

I don't want it to be like the Spider-Man movies where literally every other movie has had Green Goblin.

Hey i'd be fine with no Joker in comics, movies, cartoons, games and DTVs for the next 10 years but you know DC/WB are going to use him no matter what.

I'm not holding my breath for any bat family members, even if I would like them on screen
Carrie Kelly is seeming like she is in.
Also Nightwing will be in this universe without a doubt(even if he won't be used much).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hey i'd be fine with no Joker in comics, movies, cartoons, games and DTVs for the next 10 years but you know DC/WB are going to use him no matter what.

Yeah, I'm not stupid. The Joker is a big villain for a reason, but I'd rather they find a better way to use him going forward instead of putting him in a central villain role again. More often than not, it's other villains whose plans he comes in to fuck up, just kinda for fun.

BadAss2961

Fuckin' A

Jena Malone would've been a great Barb/Batgirl.

*sigh* Don't remind me...
Would be cool to get a Killing Joke flashback at some point. If he's in Arkham during Suicide Squad, terrorizing the Gordons could be the last thing he did before he ended up back there.

strafer

Scoot McNairy couldn't be more cryptic about 'Batman v Superman'

What McNairy will say, though, is he’s glad his first superhero movie is with director Zack Snyder — “an incredible filmmaker and an incredible visionary” — and BvS was a hoot. “Playing in that world with comic books you’ve been reading since you were a kid, being someone in that world, it’s awesome.” And when it comes to Superman and Snyder, to quote The Lego Movie, everything is awesome.

“It’s definitely 100% a character I’ve never played and I can’t speak too freely on it, but yeah, getting into that thing was definitely something I had to wrap my head around emotionally in order to play that character. But with that being said, I had a lot of fun doing it when I was in the process of shooting on it — my head was in a different place but I’m really excited to see how it turns out and what they do with it and see the film.”

Did y'all see the quote from the choreographer?

Now Batman it’s going to fight the way I’ve always dreamed seeing him fight… he’s a character so prepared in martial arts that you can do a lot of things with him, but filmmakers usually don’t go all the way with it. Even in the last Nolan movies the action scenes aren’t very good from a technical, martial arts point of view to things like choreography, filming, bad camera movements…

But hey, don’t get me wrong, Nolan is great, my hats off to him. He makes fascinating stories, but I think that he did not pay too much attention to the fights. Those are the kind of details that Zack, being so physical himself, loves preparing. I think there’s going to be a big difference when you see these Batman fights in comparison to the previous ones.

There’s a thought that Batman has no chance, that the other [Superman] will squash him like a bug. But when you see the movie, and how it all comes out, there’s a very intelligent explanation as to why they would have a firsthand confrontation though it seems to be totally to Batman’s disadvantage.

It looks like we're finally going to see a martial artist Bruce on film. It seems like Zack Snyder is a comic fan because his comic movies are on point.

Did y'all see the quote from the choreographer?

It looks like we're finally going to see a martial artist Bruce on film. It seems like Zack Snyder is a comic fan because his comic movies are on point.

I feel like even if he's not a comic book fan, Snyder is a very "comic-booky" director.

If that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom