• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like even if he's not a comic book fan, Snyder is a very "comic-booky" director.

If that makes any sense.

I get what you're saying. Comics are a very visual medium, especially the traditional stuff like DC and Marvel, when it comes to the way certain panels are framed. Snyder is similar in that way with his visuals. A comic book is very likely to have a huge panel of Batman standing on the edge of a building, his barrel chest sticking out and his cape flowing behind him, looking out at the city, just because it looks badass. Snyder seems like he'd put a shot like this in a movie just because it's badass.

pulga

Banned
Ugh I don't want fucking Carrie Kelley in this universe. There's no room for Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian, so fuck her. OG Robins or BUST.

BadAss2961

Ugh I don't want fucking Carrie Kelley in this universe. There's no room for Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian, so fuck her. OG Robins or BUST.
Dick will be around if Carrie's involved, possibly a posthumous Jason too. She doesn't exist without at least one of the two.

The next Batman solo would be a good time to introduce Nightwing.

Fuck anyone that doesn't want the batfamily. Best thing about Bats

Death of the Family is probably the way to go, in a post-romero-nicholson-hammil-ledger world.

The only Joker we haven't really gotten yet is the over the top driving-everyone-you-care-about-insane sadistic why-doesn't-he-just-kill-him one. Nolan came the close for a pg-13 film, though. Not saying it's likely we'll get an R rated Batfilm, but you never know.

Did y'all see the quote from the choreographer?

It looks like we're finally going to see a martial artist Bruce on film. It seems like Zack Snyder is a comic fan because his comic movies are on point.

I would like to see movie Batman fight like Batman from those Arkham games.
Flipping around, showing max human strength and agility, no shaky up close camera.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I hope Snyder Batman employs a combination of Krav Maga and Spetznas hand to hand combat. It's relentless and a perfect fit for a vigilante dealing with ruthless mobsters, trying to instill fear in his enemies.

I hope Snyder Batman employs a combination of Krav Maga and Spetznas hand to hand combat. It's relentless and a perfect fit for a vigilante dealing with ruthless mobsters, trying to instill fear in his enemies.

If I remember correctly that was the style used in Nolan's series.

liquidtmd

Banned
Probably answered many times but I've not really hit the news up for this: Has a specific reason been given as to the particularly long duration of filming?

Even for a visually intensive film, an initial filming date of October 19 2013 (as per Wiki) with a March 2016 release seems nuts.

Sambrez_

Probably answered many times but I've not really hit the news up for this: Has a specific reason been given as to the particularly long duration of filming?

Even for a visually intensive film, an initial filming date of October 19 2013 (as per Wiki) with a March 2016 release seems nuts.

They started filming in 2014, July if I remember correctly. But there's still a long year of post-production. Quite the same as for Man of Steel.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Did y'all see the quote from the choreographer?

It looks like we're finally going to see a martial artist Bruce on film. It seems like Zack Snyder is a comic fan because his comic movies are on point.

What with people taking shots at Nolan film nowdays?

Nolan Bats is realistic, having him do Arkham style freeflow combat on film and getting crazy jet-li style action scenes in the film will not work well with that universe.

True.
Batman is my favorite comic character but Cass Cain is right there with him.

Yup. Cassandra is badass.
tumblr_m8hixlm1ck1ralzvko1_500.gif

mULsNlk.jpg

Having her in this universe instead of Babs or will be awesome.

suaveric

The only thing shot back in 2013 was a scene that took place at a football game, but that was written out of the movie when Affleck's guy came in to do a big rewrite. What we'll see on screen next year was all filmed from April to November of 2014. That is a long shoot, but all of Nolan's Batman movies also shot over 6 months as well. It's just a large movie with a lot of location shooting.

Nolan Bats is realistic, having him do Arkham style freeflow combat on film and getting crazy jet-li style action scenes in the film will not work well with that universe.

Having shoddy fight scenes in which you can't tell what the hell's going on doesn't fit well either.

liquidtmd

Banned
The only thing shot back in 2013 was a scene that took place at a football game, but that was written out of the movie when Affleck's guy came in to do a big rewrite. What we'll see on screen next year was all filmed from April to November of 2014. That is a long shoot, but all of Nolan's Batman movies also shot over 6 months as well. It's just a large movie with a lot of location shooting.

That makes more sense, thanks

neorej

ERMYGERD!

I love the Nolan trilogy to death, storywise, but the combat was mostly lackluster at best.

This was one of the best fightscenes in the trilogy and it hinted at something greater, something fierce and unstoppable once properly trained. Eventually we would get this.

Sure, you could argue that it's old man Batman, and he's been out of practice for years, etc etc, but in none of the movies does he ever actually become that incredible martial artist, even Batman at his peak is getting his ass kicked by a bunch of punks.

Then there's the cinematographical approach to the fights, which is weird and flashy, which makes it hard to follow who is beating who.

I don't think it's unfair to say that Batfleck can improve on Baleman in the fighting department.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, I remembered that Bane fight in a different way. Really lackluster, specially for the ending of a trilogy.

Jesus, I remembered that Bane fight in a different way. Really lackluster, specially for the ending of a trilogy.
Same, especially in regards to their first fight. Although I do like how that fight portrays Bruce as barely able to hold his own against the brutal and confident Bane is, damn, the choreography is so slow and stunted. Like what the hell is the spinning punch that Bane does at 1:12?

Same, especially in regards to their first fight. Although I do like how that fight portrays Bruce as barely able to hold his own against the brutal and confident Bane is, damn, the choreography is so slow and stunted. Like what the hell is the spinning punch that Bane does at 1:12?

The choreography was better obscured when there was a ton of quick cuts and odd camera focus. TDKR didn't really have any of that so the choreography is shown for what it is: slow and with no impact. The one fight scene in the whole trilogy that I love is the first fight with Bane, just cause it's the first fight that feels like it had any weight.

I love the Nolan movies, but the fights were incredibly lackluster, realism or not. I have high hopes for BvS in this area.

I never had a problem with the fighting. Looked efficient, interesting and different. My only gripe in the whole trilogy was that Bane was hit multiple times with sharp, armoured attacks and wasn't cut once. His arms were bare. He didn't have to react to the blows but he should have bled slightly.

The choreography was better obscured when there was a ton of quick cuts and odd camera focus. TDKR didn't really have any of that so the choreography is shown for what it is: slow and with no impact. The one fight scene in the whole trilogy that I love is the first fight with Bane, just cause it's the first fight that feels like it had any weight.

I love the Nolan movies, but the fights were incredibly lackluster, realism or not. I have high hopes for BvS in this area.
I think the worst offender is the fight in the docks from Begins.
Starts at 2:00
I get it. Nolan wants to keep him obscured so the "I'm Batman" reveal is more impactful. But with all the editing, it's nothing but a mess of limbs and motion. You can barely make sense of what's happening.

They make a good first impression but fall apart after repeated viewings, in contrast this fight is amazing no matter how many times you watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFW92CfLMSI

Aside from that being fighting used in films I don't see how you can really compare the two styles of fighting. One is a restrained, methodical, efficient. The other is exhausting, over emphasised and comical. Both fit in the films they were used in.

I think the worst offender is the fight in the docks from Begins.
Starts at 2:00
I get it. Nolan wants to keep him obscured so the "I'm Batman" reveal is more impactful. But with all the editing, it's nothing but a mess of limbs and motion. You can barely make sense of what's happening.

I love that scene. I don't understand your point as you explain the reasoning behind the editing choices perfectly.

Aside from that being fighting used in films I don't see how you can really compare the two styles of fighting. One is a restrained, methodical, efficient. The other is exhausting, over emphasised and comical. Both fit in the films they were used in.

I love that scene. I don't understand your point as you explain the reasoning behind the editing choices perfectly.
It's a great scene. It establishes all his strengths - stealth, striking fear into criminals, etc. But when it comes to showing that he's a masterful fighter able to take on an entire group, it doesn't come across IMO, because, like I said, you can barely make sense of what's going on.

It's a great scene. It establishes all his strengths - stealth, striking fear into criminals, etc. But when it comes to showing that he's a masterful fighter able to take on an entire group, it doesn't come across IMO, because, like I said, you can barely make sense of what's going on.

It's not about his masterful fighting at this point. We know he'd school them. We know he's a masterful fighter because we saw him training. This was more about establishing him as an urban legend in Gotham in the eyes of the criminals. The audience are viewing it from the criminals' point of view and it terrifying, like a slasher movie scene. And then we experience the fight as they do - a brief, confusing altercation.

Besides, later fights show off his prowess.

Simo

Has the following been posted before? Essentially this guy on Twitter claims to have seen the teaser, along with new trailers for Terminator and Fantastic Four, and states the trailer will be "up 'before' the months end. Give or take 2-3 days either side of Feb. Online".

He refers to the trailer content be it the tag or trailer title as "The Bat" too.

I haven't seen or heard of the guy before and the usual scoopers aren't following him either but going through his feed he did leak stills of the recent Terminator trailer 2 months before the actual trailer debuted online when the trailer was still incomplete with unfinished VFX.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Has the following been posted before? Essentially this guy on Twitter claims to have seen the teaser, along with new trailers for Terminator and Fantastic Four, and states the trailer will be "up 'before' the months end. Give or take 2-3 days either side of Feb. Online".

He refers to the trailer content be it the tag or trailer title as "The Bat" too.

I haven't seen or heard of the guy before and the usual scoopers aren't following him either but going through his feed he did leak stills of the recent Terminator trailer 2 months before the actual trailer debuted online when the trailer was still incomplete with unfinished VFX.
Rumour is that it'll be attached to Jupiter Ascending. This seems to line up with that theory.

I really want to believe this guy but dont want to be disappointed. But yea, apparently hes been right before. Also, those lines he posted could be quotes from the trailers. IF this is all true that is.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Ezra Miller on playing Flash

"Zack Snyder told me on the phone that he wanted me to play the Flash while I was eating a tilapia in a small Central American village. That was definitely a moment that prompted me to question the fabric of my reality."
lol

Wiktor

Gtfo. She was amazing.
She's a cheap character with cheap superpower (because that reading movements IS superpower, no matter how they want to twist their logic that it isn't) that undermines the whole Batverse's idea of people achieving almost superhuman levels through hard work.

If I ever want to read stories about superpowered martial artists that pretend to not be superpowered I would rather read Karate Kid. At least the writers of his stories recognize just how ridiculous those ideas are and allow him to do fun stuff like punch meteorites falling from the sky. :)

ReiGun

Towards the end of the month, huh?

ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

I needs dat.

Gabriel Gray is iffy. He's gotten a couple things right before (I believe those were also trailer related) but he's been caught faking bullshit for extra twitter followers too.

So who knows with that dude. I figure he's got sub-1k followers on twitter for a reason, and that reason is probably he's just a really annoying asshole whose legit scoops (likely coming from working at a place where trailers might roll through) aren't worth the shitty signal to noise ratio he pumps out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom