• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

One thing i've learned is no one knows shit about anything with this movie. Very little has leaked.

I think some sources are just picking that window of within the next couple weeks in case the teaser does end up attached to Jupiter Ascending. Then they'll take credit.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I just watched the last half of MoS because I was bored and happened to have it DVR'd. I don't think I will ever understand how it receives so much hate. I hear the complaints but I absolutely cannot relate.

IconGrist

I just watched the last half of MoS because I was bored and happened to have it DVR'd. I don't think I will ever understand how it receives so much hate. I hear the complaints but I absolutely cannot relate.

I hear the complaints, and to some extent I even understand them. However, I'll watch the point from "Where has he hidden it!?" on and by the end of the movie I'm just in awe. The kiss sucks though, I completely agree with that being shit but my wife loves that part so what do I know?

She's a cheap character with cheap superpower (because that reading movements IS superpower, no matter how they want to twist their logic that it isn't) that undermines the whole Batverse's idea of people achieving almost superhuman levels through hard work.
It doesn't undermine it, it is the pinnacle of what a human can achieve through training. People do it in real life, Boxers are taught to read the shoulders of their opponents, to discern punch types.

Wiktor

It doesn't undermine it, it is the pinnacle of what a human can achieve through training. People do it in real life, Boxers are taught to read the shoulders of their opponents, to discern punch types.

Not to this levels. And it's a cheap crutch used to give a kid ability to compete with much more experienced and strongr people. It's bassicay precog level allowing her to do shit like dodge bullets point etc Not to mention they also push her physicallity far beyond what other peak humans can achieve. It's clearly a superpowered character that should have never been a part of Batfamily.
She's essentially DC Universe's version of Sasuke. :D

Not to this levels. And it's a cheap crutch used to give a kid ability to compete with much more experienced and strongr people. It's bassicay precog level allowing her to do shit like dodge bullets point etc Not to mention they also push her physicallity far beyond what other peak humans can achieve. It's clearly a superpowered character that should have never been a part of Batfamily.
She's essentially DC Universe's version of Sasuke. :D

Has she decked, Richard Dragon or O-Sensei? If she hasn't she's still human. You'd also have to qualify Lady Shiva as Metahuman as she taught Cassandra how to read body movement.

Pachimari

I'm 1 hour into Man of Steel and I actually like it so far. One thing is for sure. It's a beautiful movie!

I haven't read the comics though.

Pachimari

what made you hold off on seeing it?

The first time I felt a bit bored, and were super sleepy so fell asleep. And I have to admit, I'm a little bored again and have set it on pause. I think I'm 1:30 hours in. But I'll finish it today.

Those fights are wonderful.

strafer

The first time I felt a bit bored, and were super sleepy so fell asleep. And I have to admit, I'm a little bored again and have set it on pause. I think I'm 1:30 hours in. But I'll finish it today.

Those fights are wonderful.

Sorry you feel that way, but at least you're giving it a second chance.

Pachimari

Honestly, I always seem to be bored by Zack Snyder movies (besides Watchmen which I really liked). Just finished Man of Steel and it really picked up at the 2 hour mark. The fights, cinematography, and acting have all been very great. Henry Cavill is the perfect Superman.

I guess what made me bored were the intergalactic stuff, General Zod and his crew and such. I can not explain it, maybe a little slow paced.

I really liked the film though, and I'm still extremely hyped about Dawn of Justice. So will Clark Kent be a journalist and Bruce Wayne a detective in the sequel? How will it do the continuity?

Also can't believe they aren't mad at Superman and the Krypton race for destroying half a city.

[edit]
Woaaah, just checked out the OP and see a Comic-Con trailer. I have never seen that one! So Batman have white eyes I suppose.

Yeah, the Krypton parts are pretty yawn worthy, so I'm glad BvS won't seem to have it. Honestly, the movie only picks up after Superman turns himself in.

Also, to the above, the white eyes seem to be an armor thing, not on the regular costume.

Has she decked, Richard Dragon or O-Sensei? If she hasn't she's still human. You'd also have to qualify Lady Shiva as Metahuman as she taught Cassandra how to read body movement.

I think she's taken down deathstroke in h2h. I don't think any non human besides maybe Karate Kid should be able to take down deathstroke in pure h2h. It's not so much that I think deathstroke is skilled (depowered he probably wouldn't be able to take most popular H2H fighters), just his super human strength and durability shouldn't be beaten in a straight up fight.

I think its possible. Super Bowl is tempting.

Regarding the action scenes: I want the speed ramping back. It's been long enough without it, and used judiciously, the shit works REALLY well, especially when translating superhero action.

I want Larry Fong overcranking the camera and turning up the saturation a little.

Tsukumo

Never liked Snyder much until he got rid of the slow-mos. One of the reasons why I love MoS is there's no slowdown/acceleration bullshit. I'm eternally grateful to the WB producers who imposed this on him. It's tacky and incompetent.

Never liked Snyder much until he got rid of the slow-mos. One of the reasons why I love MoS is there's no slowdown/acceleration bullshit. I'm eternally grateful to the WB producers who imposed this on him. It's tacky and incompetent.

They didn't impose it on him. He dialed it back himself. It was entirely his decision as to how the film would look, and he decided on the handheld, blue-tinted look of the thing.

How is it "tacky and incompetent?" Can you explain? Slowing down the action isn't a thing he invented. Slowing it down and then speeding it back up in the same shot ALSO isn't a thing he invented. But he used it to pretty decent effect in 300, less so in Watchmen. It wasn't around in Dawn of the Dead OR Man of Steel - but a lot of Sucker Punch featured the effect (although that movie was 100% style AS substance, so it makes sense there)

I mean, the clip Penguin just posted features speed ramping in it. twice in a 60 second period. That scene is often considered one of the best pieces of superhero action ever put on film. Granted, it's animated, but considering how much of any given superhero film is ALSO animate,d I don't see why there should be any distinction made.

That stylistic choice is perfect for comic-action, so long as it's not overused. I'd like to see some of it return.

Effect

It's just stupid how underrated that movie is. An anime brought to life.

It's a film I had to watch for myself after reading so much hate directed at it and it certainly does not deserve it. Does the film have problems? Yes but no where near the degree some try to make it out to be. Action wise the film is amazing. People like to bring up 300 when it comes to Snyder's action but I feel Sucker Punch out does that easily. It's why, in addition to Man of Steel, I have no concerns when it comes to how he'll handle Wonder Woman's action scenes.

It would be fantastic if Batman fights like he does in Arkham videogames

Totally. Where he fights using a variety of martial arts and his gadgets. Not just his elbows.

They didn't impose it on him. He dialed it back himself. It was entirely his decision as to how the film would look, and he decided on the handheld, blue-tinted look of the thing.

How is it "tacky and incompetent?" Can you explain? Slowing down the action isn't a thing he invented. Slowing it down and then speeding it back up in the same shot ALSO isn't a thing he invented. But he used it to pretty decent effect in 300, less so in Watchmen. It wasn't around in Dawn of the Dead OR Man of Steel - but a lot of Sucker Punch featured the effect (although that movie was 100% style AS substance, so it makes sense there)

I mean, the clip Penguin just posted features speed ramping in it. twice in a 60 second period. That scene is often considered one of the best pieces of superhero action ever put on film. Granted, it's animated, but considering how much of any given superhero film is ALSO animate,d I don't see why there should be any distinction made.

That stylistic choice is perfect for comic-action, so long as it's not overused. I'd like to see some of it return.

I really hope he keeps that hand-held camera feel that Man of Steel had. Loved it. I think you could also take something like that and make it look gritty as hell with atmosphere when it comes to Batman.

BadAss2961

It's a film I had to watch for myself after reading so much hate directed at it and it certainly does not deserve it. Does the film have problems? Yes but no where near the degree some try to make it out to be. Action wise the film is amazing. People like to bring up 300 when it comes to Snyder's action but I feel Sucker Punch out does that easily. It's why, in addition to Man of Steel, I have no concerns when it comes to how he'll handle Wonder Woman's action scenes.
Exactly... First off, the film looks pretty incredible visually. Then you've got great action and some hot chicks in a fantasy that allows them to reach just about any setting. What more was expected after seeing this movie's ads? I have no clue. But even still, there's hidden meaning behind the story if you look for it -- or at least an attempt at a message in Snyder's own crazy way. This is more than I can say for most.

The soundtrack is also still in my head.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I wouldnt mind if Zack Snyder uses some of his slow mo in some scenes...

He didn't use any in Man of Steel ( I guess because everyone make jokes about it now) I doubt he'll return to his trade mark slow-mo scenes anytime soon (at least not in a movie as important and need to avoid unnecessary criticism like BvS). I don't mind it, his slow-mo scenes on Watchmen and 300 were fantastic, but seeing how it became internet joke nowdays I can see him not using it.

Honestly, I always seem to be bored by Zack Snyder movies (besides Watchmen which I really liked). Just finished Man of Steel and it really picked up at the 2 hour mark. The fights, cinematography, and acting have all been very great. Henry Cavill is the perfect Superman.

I guess what made me bored were the intergalactic stuff, General Zod and his crew and such. I can not explain it, maybe a little slow paced.

I really liked the film though, and I'm still extremely hyped about Dawn of Justice. So will Clark Kent be a journalist and Bruce Wayne a detective in the sequel? How will it do the continuity?

Also can't believe they aren't mad at Superman and the Krypton race for destroying half a city.

[edit]
Woaaah, just checked out the OP and see a Comic-Con trailer. I have never seen that one! So Batman have white eyes I suppose.

Yeah, the Krypton parts are pretty yawn worthy, so I'm glad BvS won't seem to have it. Honestly, the movie only picks up after Superman turns himself in.

Also, to the above, the white eyes seem to be an armor thing, not on the regular costume.

I loved the almost everything about Man of Steel. but I noticed that some people liked the before the fights/Zod attack and hated the Supes action and some loved the 2nd half and hated the Clark parts.

jmood88

I really liked this movie. I didn't know it was Zack Snyder.

I gotta give Sucker Punch another chance, but again, that one made me real bored the first time around as well.
I love Zack Snyder as a director but Sucker Punch showed that he should never write his own screenplays.

I knew I wouldn't be a huge fan of Man of Steel because I don't like Superman but I was disappointed at how little of Snyder's style made it into the movie. From the boring "guys constantly getting thrown into buildings" fight scenes to how distractingly obvious the green screen was (yes, he used a bunch of green screen in 300 and his other movies but it wasn't as obvious as it was in Man of Steel), it didn't look like anything that couldn't have been done by any other director.

I'm just hoping that the addition of Batman will make me more interested in this movie and that Snyder will go back to doing the things that made me like his other movies, especially with the fight scenes.

pulga

Banned
Real talk: The only way to enjoy Sucker Punch was with a big, fat joint.
qBsuB5s.png

Please follow Uncle Pulga's advice.

Loxley

I love Zack Snyder as a director but Sucker Punch showed that he should never write his own screenplays.

I knew I wouldn't be a huge fan of Man of Steel because I don't like Superman but I was disappointed at how little of Snyder's style made it into the movie. From the boring "guys constantly getting thrown into buildings" fight scenes to how distractingly obvious the green screen was (yes, he used a bunch of green screen in 300 and his other movies but it wasn't as obvious as it was in Man of Steel), it didn't look like anything that couldn't have been done by any other director.

I'm just hoping that the addition of Batman will make me more interested in this movie and that Snyder will go back to doing the things that made me like his other movies, especially with the fight scenes.

On the plus side, Snyder is reteaming with Larry Fong again for BvS, so I'd expect it to be much more visually interesting than MOS.

DaveH

Only Zack movie I havent zeen yet is this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219342/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_7

Anyone seen it?
I watched it specifically to see how he would handle the direction of flight and in-computer visual effects... so I don't really recall much except coming away thinking he didn't do anything that would worry me about Man of Steel, but that the underlying source story wasn't going to be an all time favorite or anything.

However, it should be noted that Zack considers himself fortunate to have been largely free from studio interference and able to execute his vision for all of his films except with Guardians. He's spoken candidly about it on more than one occasion, but I could only find the following with a quick search (I believe the other times were mostly audio / video interviews):

AVC: You’ve talked in the past about how rare it is to see a film with a director’s stamp on it that hasn’t gotten overruled by a studio. Was this any easier to get by the studio without interference because it isn’t full of sex, gore, and full-frontal male nudity? Was it harder because people are more cautious with children’s movies?

ZS: The hardest part of it wasn’t really even the content. It was the procedural way to make an animated movie. The problem is, when you’re making an animated movie, the studio has an illusion in their minds—and it’s really not true—that because it’s a drawing, it can be changed at any time. It would drive me crazy. They’d be like, “You know what’d be cool?” And I’d say, “Agghh!” I was constantly fighting them. Things that weren’t broken, clearly not broken, where they’d go, “You know, you should try another angle. Maybe they’re not owls. Maybe it’s fish.” Not that bad, but you could imagine that they felt like there was some crazy attitude of “Oh, you can just change it at any time.” And really, it’s millions of dollars of animation that could be at stake. And I’d have to fight to make sure they didn’t lose their minds and want to do that.

So, the biggest struggle was just me not understanding how to protect the movie from the process itself. Like, if I was to make another animated movie, the studio would see a lot less of the movie than they did, until it was closer to being done. Because they’d have less ability to change it. I felt the changes they wanted, or ended up making at the end, never really manifested themselves, other than fucking us up in the process. [Laughs.]
My recollection of him discussing this topic is that when the film was around 90% done they started questioning if it was aimed at children enough, which was completely different than his initial vision of a serious-but-all-ages film. They started demanding content and even story changes last minute which really soured him.

Since then, Snyder always has a line of producers to keep the studio off his back.

(Just for an idea of how candid Snyder is, this was an interview two days before the release of Guardians in theaters!)

I loved the almost everything about Man of Steel. but I noticed that some people liked the before the fights/Zod attack and hated the Supes action and some loved the 2nd half and hated the Clark parts.

Oh, I didn't hate the Clark parts, I just feel like it was two tonally different movies squished together.

Tsukumo

I assume they pushed it on him because he went from putting that stuff in every single movie he did to not even once in MoS.

I think it's tacky because to me slow-mo works only the way Woo did it, which is underlining some dramatic moment. Otherwise it shifts too much the attention on the details of a shot and usually ends up over sexualizing male or female bodies (or violence). Very ancient Greece, but definitely not my cup of tea. 300 is Top-Gun-beach-volley-match level of ridiculous.
Incompetent because speed is a fundamental part of a good action sequence. The rhythm in the knife fight of Winter Soldier was fantastic: using slow-mo in that fight would have ruined the inhuman speed Cap and Bucky were displaying.
I love how the action explodes in MoS: Faora jumping on the aircraft, Clark tackling Zod to save his mother. It would have definitely kill the fun for me to see slow-mo eye laser, slow-mo Faora beating up the soldiers, or slow-mo aircraft crashing through buildings.

I see your point but exactly because I enjoy the "serious" and "realistic" tone of MoS I don't like CG animation to move the way hand-drawn animation does. The only exception would be Raimi's Spiderman.

I think it's tacky because to me slow-mo works only the way Woo did it,

It's not like Woo is a great example of restraint and class when it comes to filmmaking.

In fact, if you go back and watch Hard Boiled today - you're going to find he has a ton in common with early Michael Bay. Not even kidding.

Plus his usage of slo-mo was sometimes sloppy: There are many scenes I can think of off the top of my head where didn't actually overcrank the cameras for effect, instead choosing to double frames in post, causing the slo-mo to look janky/choppy, less graceful and more like a bad butt-rock video. Peter Jackson does this a fair amount in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, too. Shit is chintzy.

Regardless - Woo didn't perfect the use of slow-motion or anything. I certainly don't think slow-motion photography should be confined to his methodology when it comes to action films. Sometimes shifting attention to specific details in the frame is the correct aesthetic choice during an action sequence. It all depends on when you deploy it.

bryanee

I'm getting serious blue balls over this movie. I neeeeeeeeeeed to see something. New images, a teaser, off screen shaky cam footage. ANYTHING.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I watched it specifically to see how he would handle the direction of flight and in-computer visual effects... so I don't really recall much except coming away thinking he didn't do anything that would worry me about Man of Steel, but that the underlying source story wasn't going to be an all time favorite or anything.

However, it should be noted that Zack considers himself fortunate to have been largely free from studio interference and able to execute his vision for all of his films except with Guardians. He's spoken candidly about it on more than one occasion, but I could only find the following with a quick search (I believe the other times were mostly audio / video interviews):

My recollection of him discussing this topic is that when the film was around 90% done they started questioning if it was aimed at children enough, which was completely different than his initial vision of a serious-but-all-ages film. They started demanding content and even story changes last minute which really soured him.

Since then, Snyder always has a line of producers to keep the studio off his back.

(Just for an idea of how candid Snyder is, this was an interview two days before the release of Guardians in theaters!)

Do you have a link to this interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom