• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
What the bloody fuck is Tyrese doing?

2ko5YCw.png
He wants some of that superhero money and fame, did a quick google on black superheroes, found out Panther was already cast, and went with this'John Stewart' guy and hopes it's not the host of The Daily Show.

"Superman is SERIOUS we NEED a cool coloring filter."

-
Nolan

XmSm742.jpg

hDyupoo.jpg

just playin don't kill me.

Nolan doesn't crush colors. That's internet fallacy. His style is actually really pristine.

Snyder always does this strange color choices.

No, it looks like it has color in it.

Also, considering television now features cinematography as seen in, say, Hannibal, or True Detective, or Game of Thrones, or House of Cards, or Broadchurch, I'm not even sure "it looks like TV" is even really a criticism anymore.

But most still look bad. Even GOT is usually very simple setup-wise.

Maddocks

Elba is absolutely being wasted on Heimdall. I know GAF wants Idris for every fucking role under the planet, but he is the ideal John Stewart.

Could be a reason why they are taking so long to announce anything with the character, they waiting for their ideal choice to be free to do it.

I'm curious as to how marvel's contracts even work.James Gunn mentioned wanting to work on a DC movie but said he was precluded, unknown if that means because of his time scheduling or Disney has a clause that prevents working with WB.

GL could not have been casted yet for a variety of reasons, could be that he's not showing up in JL and anything past 2018 isn't set in stone yet. Then again we've already had Black Adam casted, and it seems like he won't be seen until 2019 (unless they're sprinkling cameos throughout their films like Joker in suicide squad). DC seems to be earnest in their effort to make good films though so I think it's likely they're still throwing around ideas on which Lantern they're going to use.

Loxley

I know Elba has shown he's quite willing to play roles in superhero films, but would he really want to risk it on Green Lantern given the last film's reception?

I honestly believe that barely anybody even remembers the Green Lantern movie. That's how bad and uninspired it was. Might as well be a blank slate at this point.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
how likely is a Justice League Vs The Avengers?
It will never happen. Not in the next 15-20 years, at the very least. It's hard enough to get the two companies to do crossover comics. We're not going to see a film anytime soon, unless it's maybe animated.

BadAss2961

Such a shame what limited well known black actors we have. Everyone always mentions the same 4-5 names in these casting discussions, and they're often not even necessarily great for those roles outside of just being black.

Dabanton

Such a shame what limited well known black actors we have. Everyone always mentions the same 4-5 names in these casting discussions, and they're often not even necessarily great for those roles outside of just being black.

Yeah it's strange but the situation is much better than a few years ago when most people probably only knew 2-4 viable black actors off the top of their heads.

I'd enjoy 1-2 asian male non martial arts actors.

We already have Palmer in arrowverse, now we need Ryan Choi. Would be amazing to have a movie with him exploring atoms or traveling through a body.

Penguin

Well to their credit, I think Ray Fisher was a completely out there pick so maybe DC is looking everywhere

pulga

Banned
We're not getting John Stewart anyway, Warner Bros. will feel they're fulfilling the "race diversity quota" by including Cyborg in the mix and call it a day.
uMW3dcp.png

BadAss2961

Well to their credit, I think Ray Fisher was a completely out there pick so maybe DC is looking everywhere
That's part of why I really like that pick. They actually did some homework and brought in a talented young stage actor instead of drawing one of the same 4-5 names from a hat.

Like, I love Elba too, but people still haven't picked up the hint that he doesn't stand out in these kinds of movies. Heimdall is terrible, which isn't exactly his fault though since it's the typical throwaway Marvel role with a bad costume to boot. Prometheus, Pacific Rim, nothing memorable. I imagine his Ghost Rider performance wasn't anything noteworthy either. Granted, none of these were great movies or even starring roles, but it's a trend. He's also too old to be an ideal John Stewart at this point, they'll definitely need someone younger.

Elba shines in the more serious, non-fictional roles. One exception where I agree with the rest of my fellow armchair casting directors is that he's the perfect Bond if they're willing to go black.

a916

If Elba's Thor 3, 2017, contract end date with Marvel works like other entertainment industries, can't Elba just be cast by DC before 2017 as long as no work comes out before Thor 3 comes out?

Penguin

If Elba's Thor 3, 2017, contract end date with Marvel works like other entertainment industries, can't Elba just be cast by DC before 2017 as long as no work comes out before Thor 3 comes out?

Well I feel like these contracts aren't dated

That would be silly for movies.

Could get 7 movies in 7 years or one movie in 7 years

If anything, appearance based

And if his obligations to filming his 3 are up, he would be free

Though still can't imagine there's some clauses about not appearing in competing movies... would be weird

a916

Well I feel like these contracts aren't dated

That would be silly for movies.

Could get 7 movies in 7 years or one movie in 7 years

If anything, appearance based

And if his obligations to filming his 3 are up, he would be free

Though still can't imagine there's some clauses about not appearing in competing movies... would be weird

Hmm, wouldn't he be able to be cast and then still work on DC property as long as it doesn't come out before Thor 3 (because that coming out would signify the end of his contract)?

Oregano

Clauses about not appearing in competing films would be kinda shitty considering how incestuous comic book movie casting is.

Clauses about not appearing in competing films would be kinda shitty considering how incestuous comic book movie casting is.

I can't imagine the clauses being so overbearing especially considering how much they actually pay out. I don't see why any decent actor like Elba would sign such a restrictive contract.

strafer

the clauses are fucking stupid

What if Chris Evans or someone else wants to do something cool in the DC universe, is Marvel going to stop him?

Pfff, I dont think so.

The movies are entertainment, we aint got time for some bullshit feud

a916

the clauses are fucking stupid

What if Chris Evans or someone else wants to do something cool in the DC universe, is Marvel going to stop him?

Pfff, I dont think so.

The movies are entertainment, we aint got time for some bullshit feud

Honestly I always thought of it as, if Marvel is going to make me do a 9 movie deal... I sure as hell am not doing a 9 movie deal with DC as well. Between those two franchises I'd have no time to do anything else.

If they are going to do a GL movie they need to cast two actors. It's two green lanterns per sector. So it should be Hal and Guy in a good cop/bad cop kinda of thing or Hal and Stewart In a lethal weapon type setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom