• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster12

If there is a word I'd use to describe most of the MCU is heartless. WS, GoTG, First Avenger, Avengers and IM1 as only exceptions. But whatever, this is the BvS thread, a movie that will, at the least, look absolutely FANTASTIC.

I particularly meant those ones....the most recent ones at least were pretty awesome, with the exception of IM3.

DC/WB doesn't seem like they're going for "fun", I think they are trying to hardest to destroy everything in competition, which could backfire.

There's nothing wrong with fun but I feel like it's kind of pointless to be assigning tones and directives to DC when they've had a grand total of one film that has come out.

More than likely they'll play to each character's strengths like Arrow and Flash are doing in their shows. They both share the same universe but Arrow's story is usually more anti-hero slanted while Flash feels like, well, Flash with Rogues and all.

Avengers is a popcorn flick, but it's the perfect popcorn flick. Marvel has the formula down. They make fun movies that are also filled with heart. The stories aren't dumbed down and they expand the universe. But most importantly their movies feel effortless, it's just a blast to watch.

DC/WB doesn't seem like they're going for "fun", I think they are trying to hardest to destroy everything in competition, which could backfire.

Man what are you talking about, this thread has 200 pages and I have posted in here about 3 times total....

You think I care more then I actually do

of course you care. that's why you asked. you want the movie to be great. we all do. but to definitively say that it will be at this point? not even worth thinking about.

I particularly meant those ones....the most recent ones at least were pretty awesome, with the exception of IM3.

Thor 2 was bad enough that everybody's forgotten about it.

Speaking more broadly, Marvel movies are kinda... formulaic, generally speaking. Not that that's a bad thing! My all-time favorite book series* is written by strict formula, but it's a damn fine formula, so who cares?

But the formula that they've established doesn't work for all their films. Iron Man and the Avengers both work, but Iron Man 3 suffered for it, as did Thor (both of them). Cap 2 broke out of the formula, and was a much better movie as a result.

DC, however, is largely a blank slate. Their movie 'verse consists of exactly one movie. People assume that it's going to set the tone for all their films going forward, because that's what Marvel did, but there's no real reason for that to be the case. Like I said earlier, we know basically nothing about BvS. Let's see how it develops.

*The Dresden Files, for those curious.

overcast

The "perfect popcorn flick", not even close.

I think this could be decent. But my expectations aren't exactly high. I didn't like MoS or Argo really. I am excited to see the visuals and the whole thing come together, but I don't expect that great of a movie. As usual, I hope I'm incorrect.

inm8num2

In addition to some poor dialogue choices, a poorly done romance, the tornado scene, and a kinda mishandled approach in how to portray Johnathan and Clark's relationship, I think there was a big failing in the ending.

I'm fine with Superman killing Zod, I think that was a pretty daring choice and it makes the character really question his decisions going forward. But how they transition from that to the next scene was jarring. I get the he's not really yet 'Superman', but we needed to see him finally become that character. He needed to emerge from that train station, look around, and see just much damage he did to Metropolis. Not directly, I'm not one of those "SUPERMAN KILLED THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE" critics, but he was part of that battle, and he needed to see the toll his fight cost. We needed to see people trapped in the rubble, being freed by this figure that they don't know whether to perceive as an angel or a menace. Helping the rescue crews, and having some people who obviously lost their families lash out at him in anguish. Then Supes goes down, talks to them, and manages to convince them to help him provide others with aid and support. THAT'S Superman. THAT'S what he had to become in this movie, and it didn't happen.
And then you cut to him reflecting on what happened with his mother, his decision to kill Zod, the direction he chooses to take his life from here... That's a big moment that this movie was sorely missing. It ultimately robbed the movie of an ending for its main character's emotional arc. And you can't just brush that aside as "well they'll deal with that in Batman v Superman". I mean sure they will, but this movie, as a singular film, needed that closure.

Very much agreed, and that's where I think Terrio could help by filling in some of those narrative and character development cracks.

Loxley

Speaking more broadly, Marvel movies are kinda... formulaic, generally speaking. Not that that's a bad thing! My all-time favorite book series* is written by strict formula, but it's a damn fine formula, so who cares?

But the formula that they've established doesn't work for all their films. Iron Man and the Avengers both work, but Iron Man 3 suffered for it, as did Thor (both of them). Cap 2 broke out of the formula, and was a much better movie as a result.

DC, however, is largely a blank slate. Their movie 'verse consists of exactly one movie. People assume that it's going to set the tone for all their films going forward, because that's what Marvel did, but there's no real reason for that to be the case. Like I said earlier, we know basically nothing about BvS. Let's see how it develops.

People have also forgotten that the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk film is technically part of the MCU, nobody talks about that one. I think more people bring up Iron Man 2 than The Incredible Hulk :p

Anyway, I think DC are already diversifying their comic book-movie portfolio with Suicide Squad. That movie has the potential to be really freakin' cool, and despite the reservations people have about Ayer potentially using the New 52 Suicide Squad as inspiration or source material, I'm still looking forward to it. Of all the comic book movies we've gotten to date, we have yet to get one that is following a team of villains as the protagonists.

People have also forgotten that the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk film is technically part of the MCU, nobody talks about that one. I think more people bring up Iron Man 2 than The Incredible Hulk :p

Anyway, I think DC is already diversifying their comic book-movie portfolio with Suicide Squad. That movie has the potential to be really freakin' cool, and despite the reservations people have about Ayer potentially using the New 52 Suicide Squad as inspiration or source material, I'm still looking for ward to it. Of all the comic book movies we've gotten to date, we have yet to get one that is following a team of villains as the protagonists.

Shit, I'd forgotten about that one too XD Shame, since I do love Tim Roth.

guek

Banned

I find the complaint that marvel movies are formulaic to be... misguided. There are a few things that every comic book superhero movie is going to have to have, regardless of whether it's marvel or DC

- Protagonist you root for
- Action set pieces
- Threat that needs to be stopped

The only common factor in the marvel formula is a moderate dose of humor in all of their films (except maybe Hulk). The superhero genre is fairly streamlined and difficult to change in film without going down some extremely risky paths.

I find the complaint that marvel movies are formulaic to be... misguided. There are a few things that every comic book superhero movie is going to have to have, regardless of whether it's marvel or DC

- Action set pieces

The only common factor in the marvel formula is a moderate dose of humor in all of their films (except maybe Hulk). The superhero genre is fairly streamlined and difficult to change in film without going down some extremely risky paths.

I don't find them to be rigidly formulaic; they're not a James Patterson novel or something. But they all have a very similar "feel" to them. Now, that's not in and of itself enough to qualify them as formulaic, or else every major director with a signature style would be. But unlike, say, Tarantino, the Marve formula movies have something of a "designed by committee" quality to them. There's no outrageous highs, no distinctive lows, no telltale quirks. They're very... even.

Again, that's not a bad thing. But it's not always a good fit for the story they're trying to tell. Thor should have taken itself a little more seriously, ditto Iron Man 3.

Ahasverus

- Action set pieces

The thing is that Marvel films often

1- Feature witty sexy heroes with cheesy (awesome for some) one-liners
2- Present 0 risks to any of their characters
3- Follow a rigid 3 act structure
4- As per 1, 2, and 3, lack dramatic gravitas.

Compare it to TDK which is like the opposite and you get why there is such a distance between them. None of those approaches is better per se, but their merits are different.
I don't find them to be rigidly formulaic; they're not a James Patterson novel or something. But they all have a very similar "feel" to them. Now, that's not in and of itself enough to qualify them as formulaic, or else every major director with a signature style would be. But unlike, say, Tarantino, the Marve formula movies have something of a "designed by committee" quality to them. There's no outrageous highs, no distinctive lows, no telltale quirks. They're very... even.

Again, that's not a bad thing. But it's not always a good fit for the story they're trying to tell. Thor should have taken itself a little more seriously, ditto Iron Man 3.
This too.

Magwik

Banned
Yeah one clear problem of some of the Marvel movies (hopefully AoU will fix it) is that there really never is any sense of danger, especially to the main character.

anaron

Absolutely

JdFoX187

Banned

Winter Soldier didn't actually have that much humor. Certainly nothing compared to Thor the Dark World or Iron Man 3. Those are the two outliers for me in Marvel quality. Both tried to handle "serious" storylines and seemingly forgot the stakes in favor of quips. Nothing wrong some well-timed humor, but when you have Freya
just get killed less than 10 minutes before with a somber funeral scene
and then follow it up with Loki
turning into Captain America and Lady Sif for a punchline
then you've lost all that tension. Ditto for Iron Man 3, which completely killed any sort of tension around Pepper
supposedly dying
by having Tony make a dumb joke literally less than a minute after. And what's with his joke about not knowing what guns use which types of ammunition? You're telling me a guy who lead a weapons development company doesn't know that? God, 2013 was a horrible year for Marvel movies.

Winter Soldier didn't actually have that much humor. Certainly nothing compared to Thor the Dark World or Iron Man 3. Those are the two outliers for me in Marvel quality. Both tried to handle "serious" storylines and seemingly forgot the stakes in favor of quips. Nothing wrong some well-timed humor, but when you have Freya
just get killed less than 10 minutes before with a somber funeral scene
and then follow it up with Loki
turning into Captain America and Lady Sif for a punchline
then you've lost all that tension. Ditto for Iron Man 3, which completely killed any sort of tension around Pepper
supposedly dying
by having Tony make a dumb joke literally less than a minute after. And what's with his joke about not knowing what guns use which types of ammunition? You're telling me a guy who lead a weapons development company doesn't know that? God, 2013 was a horrible year for Marvel movies.

Should have remembered to add the Winter Soldier exception to that post :p Russo brothers did their own thing, and it definitely worked for them.

guek

Banned
Thor should have taken itself a little more seriously, ditto Iron Man 3.

Yeah I agree

Yeah one clear problem of some of the Marvel movies (hopefully AoU will fix it) is that there really never is any sense of danger, especially to the main character.

That's a problem I've been having lately with the MCU as well. I don't see AoU killing a major character, I think Whedon is going to purposely sidestep that because so many people are expecting it from him. I predict we wont get to see a major character die and stay dead until Civil War. Someone's gonna lose.

Penguin

Yeah I agree

That's a problem I've been having lately with the MCU as well. I don't see AoU killing a major character, I think Whedon is going to purposely sidestep that because so many people are expecting it from him. I predict we wont get to see a major character die and stay dead until Civil War. Someone's gonna lose.

Yeah two things with the stakes

Part of me thinks it undercuts the drama
But at the same time, it's even a trope of the comic-industry. So it makes sense

Yeah I agree

I'm honestly okay with them not killing characters, but if they don't want to rely on tension, they've got to include something else to spice up the ride.

Infinity War is going to suffer even more from this, though, since it's a hallmark of the original comic; you don't kill off half the universe and sink California and then not press the reset button :p

Anyway! How about that Superman, huh? Think any of the kids in the theater will recognize him?

KingK

So I've never actually read comics outside of some of the more famous stories like Killing Joke, TDKR, and Watchmen, but I've been thinking about getting into some DC comics. I have no idea what I'm doing though as far as what to get.

Batman is my favorite so I'd like to start somewhere there. I've heard good things about his current New 52 run and I'm thinking of trying that out. I'm assuming they sell digital copies i could read on my galaxy tab? And can i buy collections of entire arcs instead of individual issues? Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

So I've never actually read comics outside of some of the more famous stories like Killing Joke, TDKR, and Watchmen, but I've been thinking about getting into some DC comics. I have no idea what I'm doing though as far as what to get.

Batman is my favorite so I'd like to start somewhere there. I've heard good things about his current New 52 run and I'm thinking of trying that out. I'm assuming they sell digital copies i could read on my galaxy tab? And can i buy collections of entire arcs instead of individual issues? Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Start with Snyder's current Batman run, at least for now. I think there's a Zero Year trade out there somewhere (that'd be the collection of entire arcs you were asking about, though I'm not sure if there's a digital version of that for Android), which would be a fairly good place to start. Really, though, the whole run is pretty much gold, IMO. As for classic material, you can probably get better recommendations from other people, but I hugely enjoyed Knightfall, which is pretty much the go-to Bane book.

BadAss2961

Do all you people here actually think this will be a legit good movie??

I'm not talking some average entertaining romp that you forget in 2 days. I mean a masterpiece in the Superheroes genre that changes the landscape.

I don't have much hope to be honest.

Give me some reasons to be optimistic about this.
Have you guys forgotten who's in this movie?

There's 'the genre', and then there's Batman. No Batman movie that takes itself half seriously is going to be forgotten. He's changed the landscape several times across multiple industries, and he'll do it again with Superman this time.

Penguin

I'm honestly okay with them not killing characters, but if they don't want to rely on tension, they've got to include something else to spice up the ride.

Infinity War is going to suffer even more from this, though, since it's a hallmark of the original comic; you don't kill off half the universe and sink California and then not press the reset button :p

Anyway! How about that Superman, huh? Think any of the kids in the theater will recognize him?

The problem is they attempt to kill someone and undermine it sooner or later

Fury, Bucky, Pepper, Loki, Coulson, Groot and several others have "died" and come back

Most of the villains have been put down for good... I think
Thor's mother died...
Maybe Odin?

KingK

Start with Snyder's current Batman run, at least for now. I think there's a Zero Year trade out there somewhere (that'd be the collection of entire arcs you were asking about, though I'm not sure if there's a digital version of that for Android), which would be a fairly good place to start. Really, though, the whole run is pretty much gold, IMO. As for classic material, you can probably get better recommendations from other people, but I hugely enjoyed Knightfall, which is pretty much the go-to Bane book.

Thanks, this is helpful. I was just checking Amazon and noticed that the start of Zero Year is actually volume four of the run. Is it advised to start here and then go back to Court of Owls, or should i just start at volume 1 and go from there?

Thanks, this is helpful. I was just checking Amazon and noticed that the start of Zero Year is actually volume four of the run. Is it advised to start here and then go back to Court of Owls, or should i just start at volume 1 and go from there?

I'd wait for the collection. Court of Owls is as good a starting place as any, really, since it doesn't rely overmuch on existing canon (and actually challenges a fair bit of it). So long as you're familiar with the Batfamily, you should be okay.

ReiGun

Comixology has all your digital comics reading needs.

The New 52 run is fantastic and certainly a great place to start. I believe Comixolgy has the collected versions, but if not, know that issues go down in price after enough time has passed.

Other Batman stuff I've liked or seen recommended includes No Man's Land, the New 52 Batman and Robin, and Morrison's Batman run (starting with Batman and Son).

Shaanyboi

Banned
Just go in the order of Volumes.
Court of Owls
City of Owls
Death of the Family
Zero Year

Other current runs that are great are Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman, Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow, and Geoff Johns' Aquaman. There are others, but i'll try not to give you a giant list right now

Penguin

My personal favorite Batman story... and by proxy favorite comic series is The Long Halloween.

May be harder to get, but always recommend people check out Superman/Batman Generations. Just a great concept for a series, though the eventual sequels force it too much

KingK

I'd wait for the collection. Court of Owls is as good a starting place as any, really, since it doesn't rely overmuch on existing canon (and actually challenges a fair bit of it). So long as you're familiar with the Batfamily, you should be okay.
I watched pretty much every DC animated show and movie from the mid 90s (Batman) onward so I'm familiar with most of the universe and characters. I think I'll start with that then.

Edit: wow thanks for all the responses guys. I'm starting with Court of Owls and we'll see where it goes from there. I'll probably give the new Green Arrow and Wonder Woman a shot and check out some of the older Batman stuff.

ReiGun

I watched pretty much every DC animated show and movie from the mid 90s (Batman) onward so I'm familiar with most of the universe and characters. I think I'll start with that then.

Edit: wow thanks for all the responses guys. I'm starting with Court of Owls and we'll see where it goes from there. I'll probably give the new Green Arrow and Wonder Woman a shot and check out some of the older Batman stuff.

Make sure with GA you start at issue 17, if you're doing N52. Everything before that is garbage.

Also, I'm going to make my required Aquaman recommendation.

a916

It's not even a sense of danger, but give the audience even a morsel of respect for the Villian.

A super hero is only as good as his villians as some like to say.

duckroll

I thought this was a thread about Batman vs Superman, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that with DC films being so shitty everyone would rather talk about Marvel instead. :)

We'll just call this the calm before the storm.

Shouldn't be more than a couple months max till we start getting some solid info.

Hopefully we don't have to wait til comic con.

I thought this was a thread about Batman vs Superman, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that with DC films being so shitty everyone would rather talk about Marvel instead. :)

I try to veer away from Marvel vs DC but yeah lately coming off of Green Lantern, Man of Steel's divisiveness, Marvel has a more solid record. In total though, I prefer DC's movies (including all films with the DC branding). Nolan's Trilogy, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Batman Returns still tower above all other super hero films.

Maddocks

DC vs marvel needs to die already. More comic book movies the better, long as they are entertaining and fun to watch it shouldn't matter who makes them as long as they are being made.

Penguin

DC vs marvel needs to die already. More comic book movies the better, long as they are entertaining and fun to watch it shouldn't matter who makes them as long as they are being made.

I don't mind the discussion if it doesn't just boil down to X does it this way so Y not doing it is wrong.

Anyway, I actually thought we were talking about DC/Batman Comics (take the phrasing however you want) to read

LosDaddie

Banned
Wait, people actually thought there might be a trailer during the Super Bowl? When ad prices are at their highest? And when the movie is over a year away?

:lol :lol

I think May (after AoU) will be the earliest. It's far too early to start spending their marketing budget.

It's not even a sense of danger, but give the audience even a morsel of respect for the Villian.

A super hero is only as good as his villians as some like to say.

The "no sense of danger" has always been a laughable criticism. Supes/Batman/WW will be in no more "danger" in this movie than the Avengers were in theirs.

Penguin

The "no sense of danger" has always been a laughable criticism. Supes/Batman/WW will be in no more "danger" in this movie than the Avengers were in theirs.

Could be based on the comics, but I think DC has been more willing to off major characters in their movies aside from the heroes.

Nolan Trilogy killed almost all the villains sans Joker and Scarecrow. Killed off Rachel. You could say wimped out with Gordon and Bruce/Batman's death.

Man of Steel REALLY killed Zod. Killed off Kal-El's parents and homeworld. And while a silly scene killed off John Kent as well. Killed the dude from the military and the scientist and seemingly Faora.

I mean who knows they could all come back in the next movie, but it never feels like nothing isn't at stakes because people do actually end up dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom