• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Could be based on the comics, but I think DC has been more willing to off major characters in their movies aside from the heroes.

Nolan Trilogy killed almost all the villains sans Joker and Scarecrow. Killed off Rachel. You could say wimped out with Gordon and Bruce/Batman's death.

Man of Steel REALLY killed Zod. Killed off Kal-El's parents and homeworld. And while a silly scene killed off John Kent as well. Killed the dude from the military and the scientist and seemingly Faora.

I mean who knows they could all come back in the next movie, but it never feels like nothing isn't at stakes because people do actually end up dying.

I think killing Rachel was the only legit surprise here. Personally I expect the villains to die rather than survive, and killing off Superman's parents isn't any more ballsy than killing Uncle Ben; it's a part of the origin story, there's no tension about whether it'll happen because of course it'll happen.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
"No sense of danger" applies to so many movies, comic books, video games, etc.

You don't *really* think a MC is in danger.
Yep. The audience doesn't need to believe a character can actually die to feel engrossed during action sequences. And character deaths can ring hollow too if done wrong. That applies to non-superhero action movies too, tension is created with a balanced tone, good cinematography and choreography. To stay on topic, Iron Man 2 does it bad, Winter Soldier does it good.

Penguin

I think killing Rachel was the only legit surprise here. Personally I expect the villains to die rather than survive, and killing off Superman's parents isn't any more ballsy than killing Uncle Ben; it's a part of the origin story, there's no tension about whether it'll happen because of course it'll happen.

I don't disagree with you, but they did.

Most of Marvel's deaths.. like said are either retconned or minor characters.

Even stuff like Tony's parents death is done before the movies and never really gone into detail on.

but really, will Clark get his vengeance on that tornado or what

inc retcon
3310359-7423534231-red_t.jpg

Wait, people actually thought there might be a trailer during the Super Bowl? When ad prices are at their highest? And when the movie is over a year away?

:lol :lol

Most people were doubtful we'd get a teaser, the ad listing on ispot was the only thing that gave credence to the idea.

Loxley

I thought this was a thread about Batman vs Superman, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that with DC films being so shitty everyone would rather talk about Marvel instead. :)

Yep, instead of talking about the DCCU's shitty film we're talking about the MCU's shitty films ;)

DaveH

I really hope he cuts the Jesus imagery out of this...
It's inherent in the origin, but after its played lip service it generally isn't revisited. JMS's Earth One was drenched in religious allegory (like Babylon 5), but volume 2 and on are completely devoid of that layer.

Waynes' Family er... what do you call the fancy like final resting places?

Crypts?
Mausoleum

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's inherent in the origin, but after its played lip service it generally isn't revisited. JMS's Earth One was drenched in religious allegory (like Babylon 5), but volume 2 and on are completely devoid of that layer.

Save for the hooker he forgives and who becomes a better person by knowing the redeemer.

Be cool if Superman movies could get rid of the jesus stuff and go with the Doc Savage 1940s pulp adventure hero who learns that flinging mobsters halfway across the city isn't very conducive to cleaning up your city.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Eh, maybe? Since he sleeps with her, I think it kinda throws it out the window unless we're going gnostic.

Superman is like Jesus, but he bangs hookers. Batman is like Superman, but he bangs thieves. And Wonder Woman? She's amazon-ing.

That should be the tagline for Batman vs Superman.

a916

Wait, people actually thought there might be a trailer during the Super Bowl? When ad prices are at their highest? And when the movie is over a year away?

:lol :lol

The "no sense of danger" has always been a laughable criticism. Supes/Batman/WW will be in no more "danger" in this movie than the Avengers were in theirs.

Yeah agreed. I mean is Batman really ever in danger? No we all know he's going to win in the end. However the way Marvel treats their villians is something I vehemently disagree with. They serve more as cannon fodder and a plot device than actually standing on their own two feet.

$4.5M is chump change for a company who said they'll spend, what $2B yearly on marketing?

Ahasverus

Yeah agreed. I mean is Batman really ever in danger? No we all know he's going to win in the end. However the way Marvel treats their villians is something I vehemently disagree with. They serve more as cannon fodder and a plot device than actually standing on their own two feet.

$4.5M is chump change for a company who said they'll spend, what $2B yearly on marketing?
You're very wrong. Batman may have beaten his foes, but he never "won" in the Nolan movies. Each one of them had him losing
-Begins:his hope for a normal life. His house. His mentor. His reputation.
- TDK: His love. His good name. Many victims.
- TDKR: His possessions, many many victims. His life.

See? Dramatic gravitas.
Not to be one-upped

Ayer tweeted this with #tools

B88wLDAIUAMKu2p.jpg:large
I have a good feeling about Suicide Squad.

Rooster12

Batman is my favorite so I'd like to start somewhere there. I've heard good things about his current New 52 run and I'm thinking of trying that out. I'm assuming they sell digital copies i could read on my galaxy tab? And can i buy collections of entire arcs instead of individual issues? Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

The best DC comics are not Batman or Superman just to let you know

It's more like Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer etc...

Penguin

So seems like BvS teaser was meant to be on Jupiter Ascending, Warner may have changed their mind or keeping it super-secret until first showing?

Projectionist buddy/source just told me he didn't get DCP of #BatmanvSuperman teaser trailer so it ain't happening. He was supposed to get.

He tells me it was slated but his theater didnt get it. Boooooooo DC.

DaveH

So seems like BvS teaser was meant to be on Jupiter Ascending, Warner may have changed their mind or keeping it super-secret until first showing?
I don't think it was ever meant for JA, that was just long running speculation.

Even assuming it was though, you can totally understand pulling it to prevent JA's bad press from being connected with BvS... "The WB lets their auteur directors run amok with big budgets but nothing to keep them check! Blah blah blah!"

I don't think it was ever meant for JA, that was just long running speculation.

Even assuming it was though, you can totally understand pulling it to prevent JA's bad press from being connected with BvS... "The WB lets their auteur directors run amok with big budgets but nothing to keep them check! Blah blah blah!"

Not an incorrect statement.

I think it's better to put it online first in the long run. They want as much attention as they can get and it might be seen as a scummy move to make people go see a movie they don't want to see. Probably looking to see if they can beat trailer #'s for Jurassic World, Ant Man, Star Wars or Avengers 2, see if they can gauge interest and change marketing as needed.

Nothing will beat the Star Wars trailer in views this year but the batman superman one will definitely get a lot of buzz

Either way it should have been put in front of Jupiter ascending this weekend :(

(And released online day before or something)

ryan299

It has to come out before Avengers. All people are going to be talking about is how big that movie is and how many box office records its breaking. I think they need to release it this month or next

BadAss2961

It has to come out before Avengers. All people are going to be talking about is how big that movie is and how many box office records its breaking. I think they need to release it this month or next
People will talk about that regardless... The brunt of BvS' marketing will be after the MCU has settled for the year, so whatever Marvel's doing has no bearing on this film going forward.

Ashhong

People will talk about that regardless... The brunt of BvS' marketing will be after the MCU has settled for the year, so whatever Marvel's doing has no bearing on this film going forward.

They won't be talking about that if the trailer comes out before avengers. It needs to come out before so that it doesn't get overshadowed. Or at least a month after avengers imo

They won't be talking about that if the trailer comes out before avengers. It needs to come out before so that it doesn't get overshadowed. Or at least a month after avengers imo

This honestly doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like a teaser/trailer of BvS is going to do anything to Avengers. It's Batman and Superman. It's going to get attention no matter when they release it. Even if it's a month or two after Avengers, or a month before. It doesn't really matter.

BadAss2961

This honestly doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like a teaser/trailer of BvS is going to do anything to Avengers. It's Batman and Superman. It's going to get attention no matter when they release it. Even if it's a month or two after Avengers, or a month before. It doesn't really matter.
Yeah... The Avengers is going to have it's run, nothing will stop it. BvS is going to have its run, nothing will stop it.

Whether the campaign starts now, or a few weeks after Avengers when the bandwagon is done rolling, neither movie will affect the other. Warner can play it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom